Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8

8,9 Eleven 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 6&GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Ping Sigma G Ketsch B

• 2 months later...

Glad to hear the rehabs coming along. The golf "dome" on Neville Island is back up and running. I say it's just like real golf, but without the fun. That Ping trip sounds like an amazing plan!

Keep on plugging away and rooting for an early spring. I too am sick of this #@*ing weather!

Stay warm.

• Thanks 1

X________________________________ Sign Here

Thanks!  I don't live too far from Cool Springs, but it's too damn cold to practice right now.

I had really hoped for a greater comfort level with reps under my belt before going to get fitted.  However, not uncomfortable enough to NOT go to Scottsdale in February.  😄

I also understand the lead time for a Ping build is pretty long at the moment so I wanted to go ahead and get that started, hoping to get my clubs in time to make some real progress.  I have plenty of clubs, but pre-accident specs feel like I'm swinging a 20lb sledge.

Here is some video from the last time I was able to hit balls before winter struck.

PW flying 95 to 100 yards

• Like 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - GW….+3.5”

Cleveland Smart Sole GW, SW

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

@Trugravity 😮 thanks for sharing....my experience was it took quite a while before I was ready to post on here again (partially due to legal proceedings), but I eventually got there.  I am glad you got here too, and I am glad you are alive.

Everyone's situation is totally unique.  The only advice I can give is get several physician opinions and at least a couple different experienced physical therapist opinions.  The perspectives are likely to conflict.  Filter out the individuals who aren't giving you a thoughtful perspective (e.g.:  flippant "yeah man go for it" or worse "no not possible with your injuries") and make your call from there.

If you get to that point, would suggest getting in touch with Ping.  They can do just about anything including getting people playing who are sort of half-standing up from a wheelchair, which is just remarkable.

I am thrilled to keep this thread going and will share my experience with the fitting later this month.  Golf will be a very different game for me than it once was, but hell, it's still Golf, and for that I am grateful.

• Like 1

PXG 0211 8i - GW….+3.5”

Both of you guys are amazing!

The day of my accident I had one of the best ball striking rounds ever. I had won a bunch of skins against a pretty strong field, and was grinning ear to ear on the way home...

After I woke up and assessed my condition, one of my first thoughts was one of self pity. I thought damn, there's goes my game of golf.

The fact that the event happened at the end of April (the beginning of the season around here) just added insult....

Now, going on 4 years later, I'm still nowhere near my preinjury game, but I'm still very much addicted to the sport. Except I'm hitting a 6 iron where my 9 iron once lived! I've learned to happily adapt.

It sounds like both of you have the attitude required to get back to your best golf. Wherever your 6 iron lands.

Good luck and Godspeed to both of you!

• Like 2

Thanks.....but not intending to be amazing.  I simply aim to play golf again, smell the grass, fix a ball mark, bust my buddies' balls, get my balls busted, buy some sweet clothes, ho some clubs, and maybe win a little money.  I am confident I can do all of them...the last will depend on how many extra strokes I get for one-arm status.

Regarding the 6 iron....will see this month if my future is a 6 iron or 6 hybrid.  🙂

Had lots of surgeries.  The elbow and forearm re-assembly was especially high-risk and intricate.  I am friendly with the surgeon, and asked him to "fix this so I can play golf again" while being wheeled into the OR.  One 13+ hour procedure later it was clear that wasn't the priority.  It was quite a feat of endurance by Dr. Black for me to keep the arm and keep good dexterity in my hand and fingers!

Had plenty of long, lonely, grim nights by myself in the skilled nursing facility, and if I said self pity never took hold I would be lying.  It's natural.  I'd be in a very different place without the following:

1. Jesus
  2. Family / friends support network
  3. Medical care -- surgeons, physical therapists, nurses, radiology techs, and everyone else -- that still leaves me humbled
  • Like 2

PXG 0211 8i - GW….+3.5”

@mshillsfirst time coming across this thread - very inspiring. Fellow South Hills guy, so if I ever see you at Cool Springs, I'll be sure to say hello! I can only imagine the ups and downs throughout recovery, but your positive attitude is truly remarkable and contagious. Excited to see your continued improvement! 

• Like 1

I have known 2 people who played golf regularly with one arm. It can be done, and thinking you are well on your way to maing it happen for you.

• Like 2

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

17 hours ago, smeal818 said:

@mshillsfirst time coming across this thread - very inspiring. Fellow South Hills guy, so if I ever see you at Cool Springs, I'll be sure to say hello! I can only imagine the ups and downs throughout recovery, but your positive attitude is truly remarkable and contagious. Excited to see your continued improvement! 

Thanks, and please do say hello.  Am always looking for people to play with -- haven't lived here very long so not much of a network yet.  I'm pretty easy to pick out.  Bald head, swinging with the right arm only.  🙂

• Like 1

PXG 0211 8i - GW….+3.5”

• 2 weeks later...

Heading to Scottsdale this week. Excitement level is high — thinking I’ll play my first nine holes since October 2018 on Thursday. Fitting session is Friday afternoon. Saturday I’ll probably hit the par 3 at my buddy’s place, then flying home that evening. 

Looks chilly in Scottsdale this week, but it’s still a helluva lot nicer than western PA this time of year 😁

Regarding the Ping fitting, I’m really curious. Length, gapping, swing weight, and do I start hybrids at 6h just to name a few. 

• Like 3

PXG 0211 8i - GW….+3.5”

All I can say is I was there to see Hills hitting the G425 Max 185+ carry.  

Fascinating fitting session.  

I am going to have to get my game in order, or my old buddy Hills will never let me forget he beat me with one arm.

Just remember Hills, “You’ll never break 80 in your inbox” LOL

004C874E-D8DE-49F3-94EC-86C1D3735CA9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

[b]Driver: [/b] PXG Gen5 0311 10.5*, 45” Motore F3 X-Stiff
[b]Fairway: [/b] PXG Gen 5 0311 15*, 43” Motore F3 X-Stiff
[b]Hybrids/Driving Irons: [/b]
[b]Irons: [/b] Titleist T-100S 3i-GW, +1/2” 1* Up, Modus 105T Stiff 
[b]Wedges: [/b] Titleist Vokey SM9 53* & 58* Modus 105T Stiff (both 36”)
[b]Putter: [/b] LowTide Fin Custom (23rd Putter made), 33.5", 303 Stainless
[b]Grips: [/b] .58 Tour Velvet Cord +1 wrap, Pure Grip Putter (Std)

[b]Ball: [/b] 2021 Vice Pro Plus / Pro 

[b]Bag & Headcovers: [/b] Varies 🙂

Will post a more consequential update in the next day or two. 

For the record….carry was better than 185 man, come on now! 😆

The fitting was great — I learned a lot, and what I was fitted into is so different than what I expected it is hard to believe.

I also need to change the thread title, as there’s no more “considering” taking place, period. 😉

Edited by mshills
Carry!
  • Like 1

PXG 0211 8i - GW….+3.5”

Fitting complete.  It was, as my bud posted above, fascinating!

First, the pro who fit me, Maria Przymierski, is fantastic.  She is a Ping Top 100 clubfitter who specializes in adaptive fitting (though adaptive is certainly not everything she does.)  I am certain that adaptive fittees travel from everywhere to see this adaptive fitter.  Maria is everything you'd want in a fitter -- knowledgeable, personable, fun, simply a pleasure to be around.  I can't wait to go back and see her for a follow-up / show-off visit.  🙂

I am very early in the process of learning to play with one arm, and there was a significant, and much appreciated, focus on how I can best accomplish that, equipment being merely an offshoot of getting a workable swing that I can build over the long term.  This was a lesson with a fitting, not only a fitting.  Simply put, I should not, and probably cannot, replicate my former swing one-armed, for a few reasons:

1. My former swing was not exactly sound.  Way too many moving pieces, and I relied on being a bit more athletic than average and having a bit better than average hand-eye coordination and hitting a ton of balls to get my ball-striking acceptable.  I was a mid-to-high single-digit player who was able to get the ball in the hole somehow.  I was never a good ball-striker.
  2. In addition to my L arm being unavailable, I had several lower body injuries that will have unknown long-term effects.  Right now I feel pretty good about eventually being able to rebuild a strong leg drive, but my L hip may cause problems in the future.  Maria, to her credit, picked up on this immediately, and wants me to build an action that won't put too much pressure there over the coming years and decades.

Maria had an idea of the right direction for me before I even set up over a ball let alone took a pass at one.  I had sent her some video of me hitting balls one-armed with my old clubs.  Of course this was me replicating my old setup, but she observed that I still have some speed, though of course much less than I used to.

I will not go through the detail, but here are the basics.  More vertical setup.  Set the club going back (feels much like the old 9-to-3 drill), then the next feel is R palm down in front of the ball.  I should be able to see the logo on the back of my glove.  No Nicklaus-type leg drive.  Use the length of the club and what will be a pretty soft shaft to generate some speed.

Length of the club?  So I expected to be 2" or 3" under standard length for me to position my R hand in its same spot, and of course a Sr flex and a light swing weight.

Au contraire!  😄

• Like 3

PXG 0211 8i - GW….+3.5”

MShills, That's great!

I think earlier I told the tale of the fellow in our skins game with a wonky left wing. I initially felt pity until I saw his skins and greenie winnings.

Your new technique sounds strikingly similar to his. Not a power hitter by any means, but rarely out of play, coupled with a freaky good short game.

You've got the right attitude that's for sure, if I see you batting around any of the local tracks, I'll certainly buy you a beer!

Can't wait for spring!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some good stuff arrived at the house today….driver and 5w. Party time, or so I thought. 

Sadly, so did some absolutely terrible cold, windy, wet, and snowy weather here in western PA. I reckon the crap weather will keep me patient as I await the 7w and irons. 

871C9AAA-4190-4BE7-A78A-3D2C3416CF72.jpeg

1D1C1251-25B8-4D86-A2C5-8BADD72AD214.jpeg

B5929393-E0C1-4480-AFBE-B596594CDDF5.jpeg

• Like 2

PXG 0211 8i - GW….+3.5”

Brief update.....warm today and no rain in Pittsburgh, so I hit about 65 balls at lunchtime.  No irons yet, but my 7w was delivered this AM, so I have driver, 4w, and 7w available.

The G425 Max fairway woods and driver are so good it's like cheating!  WOW.

I was on the second story of the Cool Springs range and it was windy as hell so no real idea what the carry distances are yet.  Was just looking to shake some rust off, make solid contact, and get a few reps in.  Mission accomplished.  Am so pleased with being fit by a real pro.  It's now clear to me the path forward that I have, and that I will be able to get some respectable play going when the season starts here in the 'burgh.

Need to keep the practice sessions short so I don't fatigue too much, and keep building that R arm strength while I wait for Ping to build my irons.

Edited by mshills
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PXG 0211 8i - GW….+3.5”

Agreed! It was a surprise to me too, but as I’ve gotten a few sessions in, I understand. This pattern allows me to play respectable golf and not put too much strain on my lower body injuries, which should keep me playing for a long time!

Have worked in a couple of range sessions while I wait for my irons to be built and wait for more consistent decent weather.  All told, very motivating.  Still really no clue what the driver, 4w, 7w carry distances are going to be, but if I had to guess, 220, 200, 180 is probably directionally accurate.  Need more time, and time on a real range with real balls to know for sure.

Edited by mshills

PXG 0211 8i - GW….+3.5”

🤣

I'd be a liar if I said I didn't question some life decisions when I stepped off the flight back to PIT from Phoenix the last week in February!

The weather is keeping me patient I suppose, and letting me get some more gym time in while I wait for Ping to send my irons and for some sweet custom headcovers to be made.

Thanks man...when it warms up and dries out a bit, would love to try to get a game going, that would be cool.  You can look for me if you're ever at Cool Springs, I'm pretty easy to spot.

PXG 0211 8i - GW….+3.5”

• 4 weeks later...

Update here. Weather is still hot garbage, but might be turning the corner this weekend. I’ve had some more range sessions with the Ping G425 Max driver, 4w, and 7w. They are totally fantastic, and I’m gaining confidence with the reps.

However…….I really hate the range. I need to play the game and the lead time with Ping on the G710 irons is really tough. Not mad at Ping’s backlog at all. I just want to play!

Enter Sub 70.  Jason is awesome! Was referred to him, dropped him an email and he called me right away. Couple phone conversations and texts ensued to work out how to build a combo set of 699u / 699 to my specs, and the order is in! ETA is…..not long. Thinking I’m 2 or 3 weeks away from hitting the #1 tee and I’m so pumped. @JaySub70, I should cross post this to the big Sub 70 thread too. 🙂

Edited by mshills
Typo
  • Like 1

PXG 0211 8i - GW….+3.5”

1.  Feel free to move out here.  But you always have a room and a game since I live here.  🙂

2.  I’m glad the Sub70 recommendation worked out.  Now I need to make a trip to Sycamore, and do a proper fitting at SEVENTY for the new 659CBs - hoping my 4 referrals now (and my prior purchase of the 699 pros) can have some swing 🙂 LOL 

• Like 1

[b]Driver: [/b] PXG Gen5 0311 10.5*, 45” Motore F3 X-Stiff
[b]Fairway: [/b] PXG Gen 5 0311 15*, 43” Motore F3 X-Stiff
[b]Hybrids/Driving Irons: [/b]
[b]Irons: [/b] Titleist T-100S 3i-GW, +1/2” 1* Up, Modus 105T Stiff 
[b]Wedges: [/b] Titleist Vokey SM9 53* & 58* Modus 105T Stiff (both 36”)
[b]Putter: [/b] LowTide Fin Custom (23rd Putter made), 33.5", 303 Stainless
[b]Grips: [/b] .58 Tour Velvet Cord +1 wrap, Pure Grip Putter (Std)

[b]Ball: [/b] 2021 Vice Pro Plus / Pro 

[b]Bag & Headcovers: [/b] Varies 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

The Sub 70s are here and the weather is finally better.  Work schedule has been tough, but I’ve gotten on the course for two nine-hole sessions. Shot 51 from the silver tees a few days ago. Yesterday I managed 49 from the white tees, including my first birdie since 2018. 🙂 145 downhill, put an 8i fifteen feet right of the hole and jarred the putt. 

It takes a lot to get me to dance. I broke out the running man when I made that putt. 😁 Let’s not talk about the double that followed. 😡

I underestimated a couple of things. First, the range won’t do me much good. I need to get accustomed to hitting shots from less than perfectly flat lies again. Second, it is critical to drive the ball in the fairway. I was always sort of a bomb-and-gouge guy, but hitting from the rough is so much more difficult now. 

So grateful to have access to this game again.

D8186CC1-6FD9-4390-966F-C04DE1B16BC4.jpeg

3289E02B-70F3-41B8-ADD6-BE726570B376.jpeg

• Like 1

PXG 0211 8i - GW….+3.5”