Arenapoutine's WITB

IMG_1416.JPG.c1f19fdf9b704c3a08b4321b583e1848.JPG

Well... mid-winter update! After spending time in the launch monitor, I started noticing some not-so-ideal things going on with my irons, especially near the top of the bag. Spin in the long and mid irons was just way too low, even accounting for the spin reduction off mats. Playing simulated rounds, I still felt like I was missing too many greens and didn't have a good feel for my distances or where my misses would be. Also was feeling like some shots were just hot or jumpy - I couldn't pinpoint how much was me and how much (if any) was the irons, but that combined with the low spin rates was enough to shake my confidence. 

Like a true WRXer, ordered a set of i210s off of BST to try out. 🙂 Loving them so far! Spin rates are about right where I want them. Trajectory is beautiful and shots seem to drop and stop on the green. Carry gaps are relatively consistent, and standard deviations for carry are improved in the testing I've done so far. Now, missing right or left, I know the yardage will still be close, rather than way short right or a burner long left. The retro spec is fun too, the lofts are a full club or more weaker. I'm actually enjoying that. I think I'm going to bend the 6, 5, 4, and 3 irons so I have four degree gaps from PW to the 3 iron - starting from 7 to 6 iron, they go to 3.5 degree loft gaps. So, 4 iron would be 23 degrees, and 3 would be 19 - perfect for swapping in and out of the hybrid based on the course I'm playing or conditions. PW is 47, so I'll bend the 52 and 56 one degree strong to 51 and 55 and call it a day. I didn't mean to turn into a Ping guy, but I guess I'm kind of a Ping guy now. 🙂

New:

Ping i210, 3-PW (retro spec), DG 120x

Clubs unchanged:

Ping G410LST, 9, Ventus Velocore Blue 6S
3 Wood: Titleist TS2 15 degree, Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 70, 6.0

Hybrid: 818H1, 21 degree (set to 20), Tensei Pro White 90, S

Ping Glide 2.0 52.12/56.12, Jaws MD5 60.8

Odyssey Stroke Lab One, 33.5", 380g

i210 vs CF19 data:

image.png.f1edd859d45647248e99b2ae608fa12b.png

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST, 9, Ventus Blue 6S

Titleist TS2, 15, Hzrdus Smoke Black 70, 6.0

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Ping i230, 5-PW, Modus 120x

Ping S159, 48.12 S (at 49)

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D

Vokey SM9, 60.12 D (at 59)

Odyssey Triple Track Ten S, 34"

Z-Star Diamond 

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, beluga99 said:

Lovely set up.  Your distances are very similar to mine, so I am curious on your thoughts on the Ventus Blue in the G410.  How would you compare it to the Tour stiff that comes in the G400 Max?

Really good question, and I do have a Tour 65S that I've been testing in the 410LST (though I haven't been recently). I don't have any good data in hand from days I tested both, I want to go back and test more thoroughly. 

I recall from LM data that I don't have in hand that the Tour launched slightly higher than the Ventus Blue. I couldn't notice too big of a feel difference between the two, honestly. I'll try and test those again later this week. (I'm also doing a driver fitting for a 2021 model at the end of this week as well to see how dialed this 410LST/Ventus Blue combo really is 😎 )

4 hours ago, cleverprimate24 said:

On the caving issue, I played with a guy last week who had the same thing happen and he was sent a brand new set of SIM's.

He's been getting lessons and his teacher said he's probably gonna progress past those and that they are too light for him. He's gonna sell the SIMs and get fit. 

Yep, great call. My fitter last summer told me the Sim Max irons and the stock stiff shafts I was sent were "kid's clubs" compared to what I needed. 

• Like 1

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D

Z-Star Diamond 

Thanks for the response.  I am not usually a high end shaft guy but curious about the Ventus line due to the sheer weight of positive feedback surrounding it.  I have also had good results with the Ping Tour shafts as well.  So will be interested in your feedback.

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

• 2 years later...

IMG_8485.jpg.be994ce4bad3bc9e4c16c6116a767010.jpg

Been two years since the last post (username changed in that time period as well). Thought my bag would be much different from the last update... it's not effectively much different at all. 🙂

Driver: G430LST, 9, Ventus Velocore 6s

Played 425 Max all last year and had my best driving season ever. Went to get fit this season fully expected to get into 430 Max, but ended up getting along very well with 430 LST during the fitting. It was a toss up between that and TSR2, but fitter told me Ventus Blue was as good as of a fit as it gets for me, he couldn't find anything better (and nothing I hit worked or felt better). No issues staying with this, and given I could just swap the heads I went with 430 LST and Tour Chrome 2.0 S over the TSR2 and a new shaft/shaft swap. Had my highest ball speeds ever in the sim the other night, so I'm excited. Playing it at 9.75 to get a hair more launch/spin (have never lofted up a driver before lol) and weight in the draw position. Keeping the 425 Max head around in case this gets squirrely or I need some confidence. 

Fairway: TS2 3 wood, 15, Hzrdus Smoke Black 70g 6.0

I wanted to get a new 3 wood this year, but played for the first time yesterday and hit nothing but pure 3 woods all day. Why mess with what works when tech gains will be minimal, if anything. 

Hybrid: 818H1, 21 set to 20, Tensei White 90g S 

I want to get a bit more horsepower here, especially if I swap irons. Either get a 19 degree head for this shaft and have a bit shorter little comfort hybrid, or just get a 5 wood as I've never had one. Still TBD here. 

Utility: ZX Utility 4i, UST Recoil 95g S

Realized my i210 4 and 5 irons were going pretty close to the same distance, so figured I'd dabble with a utility here and get a bit more horsepower. Only one round out, but loving it so far. 

Irons: i210, 4-PW, retro spec lofts, DG 120 X

These have been so good the last two seasons. Yardages are noticeably shorter than other irons, but they're consistent. I just impulsively picked up a set of Mizuno Pro 223s with Modus 115Xs and have been liking what I've seen in the simulator, much more distance and good dispersion. Spin rates are lower and the 5-6-7 and flight is much more penetrating. Need to get these on grass at the range before I take these on the course but excited to experiment a bit and either see what else works, or affirm how dang good these i210s are. 

Wedges: Glide 2.0 52 bent to 51, Glide 4.0 56 bent to 55, Vokey SM9 D grind 60 bent to 59

I don't hit a lot of gap wedges so the 2.0 has been fine. Glide 4.0 has been outstanding, this and the 425 Max were my clubs of the year last year. Never had this much spin on my greenside shots before. Sole grind works excellent for me. Loving it. SM9 D grind L wedge has been good, but finding myself in a bit of trouble on tighter lies and drier turf. I don't have to worry about it too much in MN, but I want to dabble with something like an S grind Vokey this year with a hair less bounce for those situations, having higher bounce everything feels like a bit of a liability. 

Putter: Odyssey Triple Track Ten S, 34"

Can't beat it. Don't use triple track balls or any ball alignment but something about these relatively ugly lines works awesome with my brain. I find myself looking at the white area, and the two blue lines to square the face and it's just so easy. I bought a single lined version of the same putter and set it up exactly the same, and it just wasn't as good. I'm not gonna mess with it. Extra 20g added so headweight is 385g, just a little tank. I love it. 

Ball: Pro V1x

Been exclusively Srixon XV for the last 3 years but decided to try Titleist with their 4 for 3 this year. Couldn't resist. 

Edited by OhYeahPlayer
photo issues
  • Like 1

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D