New iGolf Neo Model

My apologies if this has already been asked/answered, but does the Neo adjust distances according to your position relative to the green? For example, if you flare one out to the right of the green pin high, I would expect that the distance to the center of the green would still be accurate, but what about the distances to the front/back of the green? Another scenario I thought of is what if you hit the ball over the green, will the distance given for the back of the green relative to the tee be displayed as the front of the green relative to your position behind the green? As I understand it, the SkyCaddies will automatically compensate for your position in relation to the green. I'm not sure that is really worth the increased cost, but it's one feature that keeps me interested in the SkyCaddies.

Also, is there some other way to charge the Neo other than plugging into a computer? I don't travel with a laptop, so charging this thing would be a major concern if that is the only way to charge it.

I'm looking to buy something in the next week or two, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Consider the Golf Guru, $249 unit cost, no subscription fee and their "Green Zense" is very similar to the SkyGolf Intelligreen feature except the points rotate around the shape of the green relative to your position instead of the green rotating. You can also approximate the pin location like you can with the SkyGolf units. Any mini-USB charger, like used for cell phones, bluetooth headsets, etc., can be used to charge the Golf Guru. Only drawback with the Golf Guru is that their course database is not as extensive but if you have a course you play all the time I would suggest mapping it yourself anyway and the Golf Guru is the only one where you map the outline of the green, not just fixed FCB points. I have had mine about 6 weeks and think it is much netter than the SG2 I replaced with it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a little update.

Played a little with mine, and so far it has been great. Very easy to upload courses, and easy to use on the course. Nice to know how far it is to the green no matter where I manage to hit the ball. :man_in_love: Signal strength has been very good, and I haven't lost connection yet at all. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a good GPS.

All afternoon yesterday, I read every post on this board about the iGolf Neo - all four pages!! I was stuck between the others and this one. Just in case anyone cares, here was my final choice ... I bought the Neo, today! Thanks for everyone's postings on this from December to today, the help was immeasurable. I cannot wait to receive it and try it. Again, if anyone cares here were my final descisions:

a) The one time fee for downloads and no subscription fee annually just to use the GPS (SkyCaddie eliminated)

b) although the uPro was impressive, it's just released and 85-90% of the courses in my area were not up on their web site (uPro eliminated)

c) All I really needed ... which was a common thread on here ... was distance to the f/c/b. I can add ponds and pesky traps with the four points (right?)

d) 95-99% of the courses I usually play in WI ... I already identified 43 courses ... (neo wins!!) ...

Again, thanks for all the positive posts and thanks for helping me decide, even though you didn't know you were!! I'll post back later after I've used it!

Hi, just got my Neo and need some help. I have some courses downloaded and everything seems to work ok but the insructions leave a bit to be desired.

1. If a hole already has custom points which screen do they show up on?

2. How do you add custom points or change existing points like F/B/C that might be a bit off.

3. In the "map the course" it shows RGB, Cstm 2, 3, 4. What is RGB?

Also here is a clip on mount for the Neo I made from a $8 clip on gooseneck desk lamp from Kmart and a piece of aluminum angle using the supplied belt clip. It will clip in a cart cup holder or or on a folded windshield. My wife saw it and named it "E.T.".

My project for the day is to find a tray to mount on the back of the unit to carry a pair of reading glasses. I can see the distance numbers ok but need glasses to see the hole number in the upper right corner and need help using any of the programming functions. (Not the Neo's fault, just my old fart eyes).

317628058.jpg

Hi, just got my Neo and need some help. I have some courses downloaded and everything seems to work ok but the insructions leave a bit to be desired.

1. If a hole already has custom points which screen do they show up on?

2. How do you add custom points or change existing points like F/B/C that might be a bit off.

3. In the "map the course" it shows RGB, Cstm 2, 3, 4. What is RGB?

Also here is a clip on mount for the Neo I made from a $8 clip on gooseneck desk lamp from Kmart and a piece of aluminum angle using the supplied belt clip. It will clip in a cart cup holder or or on a folded windshield. My wife saw it and named it "E.T.".

My project for the day is to find a tray to mount on the back of the unit to carry a pair of reading glasses. I can see the distance numbers ok but need glasses to see the hole number in the upper right corner and need help using any of the programming functions. (Not the Neo's fault, just my old fart eyes).

317628058.jpg

I happened to see your post and I think that you answered some of your questions by yourself. To begin with, RGB stands for right greenside bunker - if you go to the Neo site under support [i think], all the abbreviations are spelled out for you. Just keep pressing the "screen" button until you get to the screen that has the custom points - up to four for each hole. It may be that you're not just familiar with the abbreviations yet. As for editing a point, choose play golf, choose a course, press menu again, choose map hole and select the point that you want edit. Or choose map course, choose a course and hole and choose map GPS point. A third way would be play golf, choose a hole, press menu and map golf hole. Just make sure that you save what you edited or your edit won't take effect. I think that I got all this correct. Nice job with the clip!

Thanks for the info Chas. I just need to get it out on a real course and tinker with it. Speaking of tinkering, here is the eyeglasses holder I added to E.T.. I modified a clipon cell phone holder, bent the cllp up and drilled a hole to fit the gooseneck fitting. The the case swivels if needed. Here is the picture of E.T. with his eye glasses caddy.

317658033.jpg

I got mine of ebay for $140, it is the best money I have spent for my golf game.

I love that you are able to map your own course. I mapped my local driving range so I now the yardages to each of the points on the range it has improve my yardage control.

I have shot two of my lowest scores ever using the Neo.

Titleist TS2 9.5*, EvenFlow T1100 White 65X
Ping Crossover G 18*, Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 3-PW, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 50*07, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 54*12, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 58*8, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Titleist Studio Design 1.5 Custom Shop
Snell MTB Black

Hi what is exactly the Shot Distance feature of the Neo ?

Does the feature only measure the driver distance ?

I would be interested in a measurement of all clubs yardages ?

Is the Neo offering this, if not which unit would do so ?

Thanks,

The shot distance feature just measures the distance between two points. It doesn't matter if you use a driver, 5-iron, wedge, or a baseball bat.

Loved it, loved it, loved it ... I got my Neo Monday Night. Downloaded some courses that night and golfed with it Tuesday Night. Absolutely perfect for what I wanted. At $149 and a one time mebership fee to download 100 courses (not an annualfee to keep it running) who could want more? Neo told me distances to front/center/back and that's all I needed. Checked the markings on the course and they were right on. It's best used when you're off in the rough, angled away from the fairway distances and need a distance from your "current line" of sight. Distances to the center of the green off any line was dead on. Any green I missed last night was because of my shot, not club selection. I really liked it ... and I liked it because I didn't spend $400+ on color pictures of stuff I don't need and I don't have to pay an annual fee to keep turning it on year after year!!! If you're a mid handicapper like me, can execute but just need accurate distances from anywhere (and not from dead center of the fairway), this is the tool. It's great. Next, I need to learn how to add points on the holes with water and sand and all that junk. I'm excited ... can you tell? Loved it ... Mark

Loved it, loved it, loved it ... I got my Neo Monday Night. Downloaded some courses that night and golfed with it Tuesday Night. Absolutely perfect for what I wanted. At $149 and a one time mebership fee to download 100 courses (not an annualfee to keep it running) who could want more? Neo told me distances to front/center/back and that's all I needed. Checked the markings on the course and they were right on. It's best used when you're off in the rough, angled away from the fairway distances and need a distance from your "current line" of sight. Distances to the center of the green off any line was dead on. Any green I missed last night was because of my shot, not club selection. I really liked it ... and I liked it because I didn't spend $400+ on color pictures of stuff I don't need and I don't have to pay an annual fee to keep turning it on year after year!!! If you're a mid handicapper like me, can execute but just need accurate distances from anywhere (and not from dead center of the fairway), this is the tool. It's great. Next, I need to learn how to add points on the holes with water and sand and all that junk. I'm excited ... can you tell? Loved it ... Mark

steph67 - I'm not sure if any golf GPS would do that regarding average of each club used. What a great feature that would be though!

Mark - I think that you liked it. What I like most about it is that you don't have to waste time looking for a sprinkler head - speeds up play. I'm charging each of my buddies $1 each and every time they ask me for the distance - just kidding. My only question to date [no posts here about it] is what do they mean - distance wise - regarding EOF [end of fairway] on holes that are straight? I've run across that on the courses I play each week at Bethpage. Anybody know the answer?

WOW! Last week I played in a scramble and downloaded the course from iGOLF. The yardages were dead on perfect. This unit is so nice and so easy to use, not to mention it's the size of a pager.

Today I played at a cheap muni I frequent because it is real close to my house. That course unfortunately was not a downloadable course via iGOLF website. So I decided what the heck, Im going to try and see how easy it is to map my own course. WOW AGAIN! Let me tell you.....it is idiot proof. I just did Front,Center, and Back because there really are no hazards for me to worry about at this particular course. It was a complete breeze to map. After I played/mapped a round I went back to a couple holes and checked how I did. The yardages were dead on....Brilliant!! Went home, synced it to my computer iGOLF folder and life is good. I'm one very happy customer.

I have a Sun Mountain V1 push cart with the umbrella holder on the handle. I built a small "iGolf" holder by taking a 6" long, 1-1/2" wide piece of 6/6 Nylon about 1/16" thick and bending it into a "U" with the bottom leg slightly longer than the top leg of the "U." I clipped my iGolf belt piece onto the top leg and screwed it place. I used a threaded knob to attach the longer leg to my V1 cart. Now, I just walk up to my ball, glance down at the iGolf and I have my distances. By the way ... as an unofficial measure of how much I like this unit ... I normally play a course nearby that has 3-nines. I am normally a 45, 46, 47 golfer on these courses (16 handicap). My last four rounds using my new iGolf Neo have been 44, 40, 44, 43. Granted, not huge improvements but my confidence in knowing the exact distances has soared, which is great. The only thing that the iGolf Neo cannot do for me, is help me putt better! I suck at putting and my scores would be better if I could put the dang thing in the hole sooner!! Enjoy, I love mine!!! (*Note*: If I can download a picture of my cart bracket, I will.**)

I just had my fourth round with my Neo today. I have checked the yardages with surveyed points and they have all been right on.

I think someone earlier posted about not wanting a Neo because of the builit in rechargeable battery. I bring my Neo in after a round and plug it into the USB port on my computer and get a "unit charging" message on the display. About 1/2 hour later I get a display of "Charging completed." How easy is that?

I will agree that the yardages are right on, I how ever have changed some if not most of the front/center/back points just so I know for sure the yardage.

Titleist TS2 9.5*, EvenFlow T1100 White 65X
Ping Crossover G 18*, Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 3-PW, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 50*07, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 54*12, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 58*8, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Titleist Studio Design 1.5 Custom Shop
Snell MTB Black

Thanks to this thread and one of the other ones below, I finally pulled the trigger on the Caddie II. I haven't gotten out on the course with it yet, but I was so excited, I immediately purchased membership and downloaded 3 of the courses that I play the most.

I even spent a good hour (@20 minutes every night for the past 3 nights) getting accustomed to the controls so when I get to play next week, I'll be able to navigate around with my iGolf w/o any problems. I'm not the most computer-savvy guy out there, but controls were pretty simple....even the custom self-mapping that some others said was a hassle seems simple....30 seconds at the most.

I have a Sun Mountain V1 push cart with the umbrella holder on the handle. I built a small "iGolf" holder by taking a 6" long, 1-1/2" wide piece of 6/6 Nylon about 1/16" thick and bending it into a "U" with the bottom leg slightly longer than the top leg of the "U." I clipped my iGolf belt piece onto the top leg and screwed it place. I used a threaded knob to attach the longer leg to my V1 cart....

(*Note*: If I can download a picture of my cart bracket, I will.**)

I'm definitely hoping you'll be able to post a pic. I have a $50 Bagboy pull cart, w/o cup holder or umbrella holder....The only thing it holds is my bag!

Anyone else with tips of how I can attach it to my cart and have it handy?

Ever think of attaching a belt to your cart? :)

I just got the Neo on Saturday after reading this thread and others. The course I played on Saturday I really could have used it on. So I had to play Sunday as well to test it out and it worked great. The EOF was really useful on the doglegs and the RFB/LFB (assume the yardage was center of fairway bunkers) was really useful on many holes. The green bunker info was also great for knowing about clearing front bunkers and avoiding back bunkers. Didn't do much in the way of trying to confirm accuracy, but it seemed to be pretty spot on. Measuring shot's was really useful off the tee. ( I need to get a new driver. My 3 wood was within 5-10 yards all day).

Does the Neo hold the signal if you put it in your pocket between shots? If not, how long to re-acquire its position? thanks.

Mine has yet to lose signal no matter what I do with it. I turned it on a couple miles from the course and watched it count down from 6800 yards all the way to 432 when I was on the first tee box.

I had posted an earlier picture for a homemade cart mount using the supplied belt clip and a lamp gooseneck and clip. I worked ok but had to be readjusted every now and then. I found a flec cup holder mount at GPSCity.com shipped to me for less than $20. This flex neck takes two hands to bend. I bolted it to a piece of aluminum angle (Step tread nosing) and bolted the belt clip to it. I had noticed people trying to turn the Neo by the belt clip and since it seemed a bit fragile I bent in some protective ears on the new mount. I have now used this mount on three different type carts and it works like a champ. The flex mount base was designed to hold a 12oz. beverage. It has flexible vanes on the outside to fit various size cup holders. Instead of a can I used a plastic ibuprofin bottle and cut the neck off. It works great here is a pic of the new mount. I also added modified cell phone case to hold my reading glasses.

320386412.jpg

I play w/guys who have sky caddies, I got the igolf neo and have played 2 rounds on 2 different courses. The yardages are spot on, simple to use, provides enough course hole customization, and for 1/2 to 1/3 the price, is hands down the best deal going. Thanks to everyone who provided input I relied upon in my decision to buy the igolf neo.

Ever think of attaching a belt to your cart? :clapping:

You know that's not too bad of an idea....

Well, not an actual belt, of course, because then my friends will never stop laughing, and I'll end up hearing about it forever. But maybe something like that where I could clip it to....

Jeez..such a simple solution, but I didn't even think of that....Thanks for getting me thinking Dan!