New iGolf Neo Model

Ok, I got the opportunity to play with the Neo three more times and my opinion has not changed but confirmed I made a GREAT buy. ....I did not encounter some of the problems some of you are having with yardage being off by 30-60 yards.

Glad to hear you like it! I would like to clarify for everyone else that the "30-60 yard off problem" was only with one course file--not the Neo itself. In other words, we had a bad data file that iGolf has since updated and corrected.

BTW--has anyone mapped their driving range yet? I did one here, using the first two holes of a new course I created. This way, I figure I'll map all the driving ranges I go to into one "course" with each one having it's own set of holes. It's pretty handy to whip out your Neo and know the locations of the flags for the day! (PS--I know that many SkyCaddie courses already have them mapped)

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all, just wanted to say thanks for all the good info here. Last night I went ahead and pulled the trigger and ordered my own Neo, mostly due to all the positive comments I heard here. Thanks again for all your comments and honesty

Note * 12% off thru Oct 13th with the coupon code -Roktoberfest- @ Rockbottomgolf.com, made the unit ~$135 including shipping

Glad to hear you like it! I would like to clarify for everyone else that the "30-60 yard off problem" was only with one course file--not the Neo itself. In other words, we had a bad data file that iGolf has since updated and corrected.

Correct, I was referring to a bad data file. And Not the Neo. Thanks for clarifying my message.

Not sure if anyone else posted this yet (just got the email from igolf yesterday), but didn't see anything.

OS X users, looks like they finally have a beta for us! I'm sick of having to start parallels and XP to sync maps.

They have Neo Sync 3.0 available for both XP and OS X now. Haven't tried it yet, but will as soon as I get a chance.

http://igolf.com/neo/sync_beta.html

Not sure if anyone else posted this yet (just got the email from igolf yesterday), but didn't see anything.

OS X users, looks like they finally have a beta for us! I'm sick of having to start parallels and XP to sync maps.

They have Neo Sync 3.0 available for both XP and OS X now. Haven't tried it yet, but will as soon as I get a chance.

ALRIGHT! Downloading now... Will update soon.

Downloaded the Beta. Seems to work fine. I will need to wait to go home and test the syncing process.

ALRIGHT! Downloading now... Will update soon.

Downloaded the Beta. Seems to work fine. I will need to wait to go home and test the syncing process.

Did you have to install the USB --> Serial driver? The sync software opens, looks like everything is working but I didn't get it to sync yet, (I'm thinking I have to install that driver). Don't remember having to install a driver in windows...but then again I was running parallels and I'm pretty sure the neo was showing as a generic serial device. I still would think that OSX would see the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...
I have had my Neo for several months and the original screen protector is starting to peel off. Igolf does not show any replacements for the Neo but they do show some for some of their other models. Anyone tried any of these? $4.99 for 4 plus $2 shipping.

Rick

Rick,

I don't know if this applies but I remember reading somewhere that someone put a piece of clear shipping tape over the screen. I haven't had the need to try it so I can't give you a first-hand experience.

I have had my Neo for several months and the original screen protector is starting to peel off. Igolf does not show any replacements for the Neo but they do show some for some of their other models. Anyone tried any of these? $4.99 for 4 plus $2 shipping.

LOL! That film is just for the packaging and shipping process. It's meant to come off the day you open the box! (I do leave mine on as long as possible though too). I'm just saying it's not a "screen protector".

Someone posted earlier in this thread about a product that was scratch-proof and custom cut just for the NEO. This company makes protectors for all types of devices like phones, PDAs, etc...

I'm on a posting spree tonight. I agree with most of the positive comments made about the unit on this page (I didn't go back and read through it all now but I did when deciding if I should purchase this unit). iGolf could make better use of their abbreviations. They're allowed 6 characters but rarely use all 6. My experiences with their customer service has been much less than stellar. On more than one occasion it has taken weeks for a simple fix to one of their files. My one mapping request took 2 weeks, and they never did decrement the value. Hence I still have one free mapping. Courses with more than 2 nines causes you to download each nine separately. Each counts as a full download, not a half. The beta download needs quite a few changes/updates to the 'packaging' for it to become user friendly.

All in all a great unit, and I'd recommend it to anyone.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a question. The expiration of my downloading account expires fairly soon [comes quick anyway] and to this point I downloaded 61 courses of the 100 allowed. I seriously doubt that I will play many of my courses but, hey, who knows what will be. Therefore, my question is what courses are you folks out there downloading to meet your 100 limit?

I was thinking about the same exact thing last night. I guess I'm going to get all the courses within a 100 miles of my home, which are a LOT. That should take care of most of mine. Beyond that, I think we should team up and share a membership. Probably against the rules, but if 5 or 10 guys chipped in, it would be cheap and you could get 10-20 courses per year, which should be more than enough after your first year. Probably also more trouble than it's worth. The other thing would be for someone here to maintain a membership, and "sell" individual courses for a couple dollars as needed. They could easily pay for the membership, and if you needed one or two courses for a vacation, you could get them for a few dollars paypal, instead of $35.

I tried to copy and paste all the names of the courses that I downloaded but it just wouldn't work so I'll just have to give you sort of an overview. I live on Long Island, NY and 95% of my courses are from my area [Yeah, Bethpage], a few from Florida, one from Connecticut, and even Pebble Beach in California [who am I kidding?] I guess that I'll start attacking New Jersey next - any ideas?

The unit has a mini USB port on the oval side/front. That plugs into a regular USB slot on the other end. Attaches to either a computer, or whatever charger with a USB input. If you already have another way to charge, you might not want to bother. The battery life is tremendous. It easily last 12+ hours before needing a recharge.

Yeah, I charge mine on the computer all the time. I get about 3 rounds before I need to recharge, depending on how far they are spaced out (usually within 10 days). If I see the battery get below 60%, I recharge. If you are good about it, you shouldn't need the extra chargers. I had a friend who was so lazy about his SureShot GPS that it would be completely dead 9/10 times he brought it out to the course so for him, the car charger was a good investment.

I plan on getting this unit after Christmas, but a question: I know the unit is $149 (sometimes less, or with a car charger, etc), but is there an additional fee ? The ads say 'no annual fee' but I also see there is some mention of a 'membership fee.' Do you get an initial 10 courses w/o paying a fee, or do you need to pay up just to get the first 10 courses, then more $ for additional downloads ? How does this all work ?

I bought my unit earlier this summer. You can buy the unit without the need FOR EVER buying a paid membership. The unit will work right out of the box, but you will have to map your own course or courses.

For a $35 fee, you will be allowed to download 100 courses over the period of one year. I understand some people sign up for the first year, download the courses they play or might play, and then not sign up afterwards. I will probably not pay again next summer. Depending on how many different courses you play, you'll be the best judge of what to do.

There was no initial 10 course download, there was not ever one free download for a perspective user to help decide if it would be of any value.

Need help. Just got mine in yesterday. I know you can add 2 extra points to each hole (4 total), but are you limited in terms of what they can be, based on the abbreviations? I would like to mark the left and right side of each green, so that no matter what side I'm on, I can know how far to the "front", but there is no "LG" or "RG". Are the abbreviations editable?

This has been my one frustration with the iGolf folks-they don't seem to do anything to add/improve features for their units once they are out (other than the Neo course corruption issue). For example, I noted that they'd created a Mac version of the software for the Neo so I asked when a Mac version of the software would be available for the GPSCaddie II-their response was vague but basically said "don't hold your breath".

Don't get me wrong, I've been very satisfied with the performance of my iGolf GPSCaddie II but when it comes time to replace the unit-for whatever reason-I most likely will not be considering another iGolf unit for a couple of reasons: first, the relatively poor customer service response to the software question, second, out of 4 requests to map courses I've made-they've acted on exactly zero! I always get my mapping credit back with a banal e-mail explaining that they can't get it mapped for some reason or another (BTW-if you think this was just crappy muni courses, 1 of the courses I requested mapped was Chambers Bay home of the 2015 U.S. Open!-which I ended up mapping myself the first time I played it, probably did a better job than they would have done from a Google Earth photo anyway!) and third, they don't seem to be interested in adding features/upgrading units.

Hey I guess iGolf has people trolling this forum, beacuse I got this answer from one of their support guys. He didn't email it to me, it just popped up when I logged in here.

Hi,

My name is Mike Cecchin, and I work in the iGolf Support department. I saw your post, and wanted to let you know that you can edit the names of those custom points and you are not limited to those options in the abbreviations.

Instead of selecting Abbreviations, select User Defined. Click on BKSPC to delete the current name of the point, which may be something like CSTM1. Then, use the up and down arrows to highlight the letter you wish to use, and click the OK button to select each letter. When finished, highlight Save at the bottom, and hit OK. The device will then be able to register the point under the name you have chosen.

Please feel free to contact us directly if you need any assistance, or have any other questions about using your device.

Regards,

Mike Cecchin

iGolf Support

L1 Technologies, iGolf Division

591 Camino de la Reina, Suite 200

San Diego, CA 92108

Tel: 858-300-5513 ext. 3

Fax: 858-408-1997

[email protected]

www.l1technologies.com

I was gonna try this anyway, but it's good to here from them on this subject.

Hey I guess iGolf has people trolling this forum, beacuse I got this answer from one of their support guys. He didn't email it to me, it just popped up when I logged in here.

Yes, some of them do read the forums, there's a bunch of stuff in the beginning of this thread about it too.

The problem with the way Mike describes doing the custom points is that you have to do that EVERY TIME you want to use the point. Delete the text, and use that stupid letter-by-letter input to name your points. So if you wanted to add a point called "LftGrn" for example, you would have to reenter it for every single hole, and for every single course.

It would seem to be easier to be able to create your own custom points that would be available for all holes and courses, but I get the feeling we may never be able to do that. To be honest, I don't know if any of the GPS units available can do this or not (add/edit the list of abbreviations).

Mors - a couple points for you.

You should sign up as a member at the iGolf site. I'm a paying member so I'm not 100% sure, but pretty sure about what I'm about to type. You can use their 'custom Filemaker' and

add custom point names for each hole from your computer, or change the names of the custom points already mapped. Dowload/save the file and when on the course go to that point and save the GPS data. Pretty easy to do.

What I did was to always use one of their preset abbreviations (that I wouldn't normally use), then when I got home, edited it to what it's really meant to be.

Back to your reason for mapping 'lg' or 'rg', why don't you just hit to the center.

I don't know if you've seen all their abbreviations but it follows this format. Although they can use 6 characters, they usually only use 3.

Character 1, usually general side of mapping. Such as L left, M middle, or right.

Character 2, shows where. Such as F fairway, G green.

Character 3, usually what. Such as B bunker, W water.

Character 4, so far only the carry distance. C carry.

So you end up with :

RFW - Right side, fairway, water.

RFWC - Right side, fairway, water, carry.

The only 2 abbreviations that do not follow this format are CRK for creek, and EOF for end of fairway on a dog leg.

RRFireblade - that's all it displays, or with the up/down keys, the other custom points for the hole.

PingG10 - have you tried to use the Mac Neo version with your CaddieII?

Mors - a couple points for you.

You should sign up as a member at the iGolf site. I'm a paying member so I'm not 100% sure, but pretty sure about what I'm about to type. You can use their 'custom Filemaker' and

add custom point names for each hole from your computer, or change the names of the custom points already mapped. Dowload/save the file and when on the course go to that point and save the GPS data. Pretty easy to do.

What I did was to always use one of their preset abbreviations (that I wouldn't normally use), then when I got home, edited it to what it's really meant to be.

Back to your reason for mapping 'lg' or 'rg', why don't you just hit to the center.

I don't know if you've seen all their abbreviations but it follows this format. Although they can use 6 characters, they usually only use 3.

Character 1, usually general side of mapping. Such as L left, M middle, or right.

Character 2, shows where. Such as F fairway, G green.

Character 3, usually what. Such as B bunker, W water.

Character 4, so far only the carry distance. C carry.

So you end up with :

RFW - Right side, fairway, water.

RFWC - Right side, fairway, water, carry.

The only 2 abbreviations that do not follow this format are CRK for creek, and EOF for end of fairway on a dog leg.

RRFireblade - that's all it displays, or with the up/down keys, the other custom points for the hole.

PingG10 - have you tried to use the Mac Neo version with your CaddieII?

I have been planning on downloading the Neo version and trying it out-can't really see why it wouldn't work to sync the courses. I was going to wait until the beta version was updated but I may bite the bullet and do it over the weekend-if it snows like they say it is going to and I can't get out and play!

Alright, I took the Neo out yesterday on the front 9. So far so goo. All of trhe yardages to center were +/- 1 yard according to my fairway markers, so that's good. Here's my next question:

I modified some of the points and added my custom points using the user defined abreviations, but now I have an updated front 9 on my Neo, but not on my harddrive where I saved the course originally. Can I somehow transfer the course from my Neo to my computer, or is that a one way street?

Alright, I took the Neo out yesterday on the front 9. So far so goo. All of trhe yardages to center were +/- 1 yard according to my fairway markers, so that's good. Here's my next question:

I modified some of the points and added my custom points using the user defined abreviations, but now I have an updated front 9 on my Neo, but not on my harddrive where I saved the course originally. Can I somehow transfer the course from my Neo to my computer, or is that a one way street?

Good luck with your NEO - you're gonna like it. As for your question, yes. Look at page 23 of the user manual.

Mors - Now you've come to the file management dilema. I actually end up keeping multiple copies of the files from them. They're only 7k each so you shouldn't have any file size issues, only the management of them.

'From iGolf' - all original files and from them.

'MeModified or Created' - as the folder name states, where I'll put files from them that I modified (as you have done), or created from scratch.

'Backups' - Where files are moved back from unit to computer.

And finally 'on the unit' where I'll keep a copy of files that are currently on the unit.

The backups folder is usually kept empty, and only used as a temporary area until the file is either deleted by me, or moved to the 'modified' folder.

I copy my files from the iGolf or Modified folder into the 'on the unit' folder. And then upload everything from that folder back onto the unit. So I essentially end up with all unique files stored once, except for the 10 duplicates that are in the 'on the unit' folder.

That's just my way, YMMV.

Don't trust those fairway markings. I've found more wrong than right. When you reach the green, if it's shows you're within a yard or two on the gps, the mapping was correct, and don't doubt it. Use the force, Luke.