2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

New iGolf Neo Model

Found this link in another GolfWRX NEO forum, iGolf expanding partnership with Bushnell:

http://www.golfbusinesswire.com/releases/140779/

For 2009, under the expanded partnership, Bushnell has acquired the rights to iGolf's line of handheld golf GPS devices. The popular iGolf Neo handheld GPS will be re-branded and marketed under the Bushnell name, and two new premium devices will be launched as the Bushnell Yardage Pro XG and XGC, previously sold as the iGolf Triton and Saturn, respectively.

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found this link in another GolfWRX NEO forum, iGolf expanding partnership with Bushnell:

http://www.golfbusinesswire.com/releases/140779/

For 2009, under the expanded partnership, Bushnell has acquired the rights to iGolf's line of handheld golf GPS devices. The popular iGolf Neo handheld GPS will be re-branded and marketed under the Bushnell name, and two new premium devices will be launched as the Bushnell Yardage Pro XG and XGC, previously sold as the iGolf Triton and Saturn, respectively.

Thanks for the post, I wasn't aware of this. I wonder what this means to existing igolf users in the long run?

Maybe steve will get all the upgrades he's demanding now. At least he can try hammering on Bushnell now. (cool)

I do note that Bushnell has raised the price of the 2 new units by $50.

in response to wayne, when i logged on to the igolf site it took me to my profile page immediately that shows your name and staus of your membership. Doen't this show your logged on?

I see a Bushnell banner ad now on the site.

While checking a few courses i noticed a couple of courses that now list besides custom points whether an image file is available. I take it that is for the new units so the files must be compatible with all units whether the old units can display a graphic or not , that's good.

How does the caddie II compare to the Neo?? Are they still making the caddie II?? What is better if anything about caddie II??

Yes, the Caddie II is still a product on their website. You can check out all the differences there.

Briefly

Caddie II - 40 courses on the unit, 8 custom points per hole. Older Sirf II GPS internally.

Neo - 10 courses on the unit, 4 custom points per hole. Newer Sirf III GPS internally.

Roho - seeing as how you're a user with 2 of their units, perhaps you could share your real world experiences with both.

Information like this would be good, you might even want to start a new thread to keep this one NEO specific.

Which form factor do you prefer.

Do you find it easier to operate the buttons on the larger or smaller unit.

Is operation the same, such as shot tracking, moving from hole on the unit to the next hole.

Which screen do you prefer and why.

Do you notice any difference in acquiring and maintaining a GPS signal.

With using the same file on both units do you find a difference in yardages when standing in the same location.

Any other comments.

Has anyone successfully taken their Neo apart yet? I'm wondering what type of battery is inside. I peeled back my serial # sticker, and there is only a rubber dust cover, but no screw. I can't find any way to open this thing! I guess if you can get it for around $100, it's a buy it and throw it away kind of product? I know my frequently-used 1 year old Neo does not hold a charge as well as it did when new.

How does the caddie II compare to the Neo?? Are they still making the caddie II?? What is better if anything about caddie II??

Yes, the Caddie II is still a product on their website. You can check out all the differences there.

Briefly

Caddie II - 40 courses on the unit, 8 custom points per hole. Older Sirf II GPS internally.

Neo - 10 courses on the unit, 4 custom points per hole. Newer Sirf III GPS internally.

Roho - seeing as how you're a user with 2 of their units, perhaps you could share your real world experiences with both.

Information like this would be good, you might even want to start a new thread to keep this one NEO specific.

Which form factor do you prefer.

Do you find it easier to operate the buttons on the larger or smaller unit.

Is operation the same, such as shot tracking, moving from hole on the unit to the next hole.

Which screen do you prefer and why.

Do you notice any difference in acquiring and maintaining a GPS signal.

With using the same file on both units do you find a difference in yardages when standing in the same location.

Any other comments.

I have the original caddie and the neo. I like both units for different reasons. The caddie I find much easier to use because of the ibm type button you just push left/right or up/down. The neo buttons are harder to push and I find myself having to push them more than once sometimes.

I got the neo because of the small size so could keep it in my pocket, also because I got tired of playing around with the batteries in the caddie. I have a cell phone case that fits it perfectly to protect it since I'm not that gentile with it when I'm playing. As a result of it small size however I find it harder to read as mentioned earlier, the hole number is a challenge for senior eyes.

I like the caddies ability to use regular alkaline or rechargable AA batteries. I'm afraid as Steve just said the neo's internal battery will wear out then what do you do? I don't think it's replaceable and if you open it up you lost any warranty coverage I'm sure. I suppose that's something to ask igolf about(or is it Bushnell now?), if they will replace the battery if you send it in. I would suspect the cost of a new battery installed would be outrageous. I recall reading the skycaddie batteries are something like $70± plus labor plus shipping. I guess that's something to consider when you have a $400 unit but a neo?

They both have the same functions, but I haven't used both side by side to compare any yardage differences. It seems the neo acquires satellites a lot faster.

With the news that Bushnell has taken over the 2 new units and the neo and will rebrand them I suspect that the original and the caddie 11 will be history soon if not already. So any comparions will be mute in the not too distant future. I would like to hear more about this new partnership and what it means to us existing owners.

Has anyone successfully taken their Neo apart yet? I'm wondering what type of battery is inside. I peeled back my serial # sticker, and there is only a rubber dust cover, but no screw. I can't find any way to open this thing! I guess if you can get it for around $100, it's a buy it and throw it away kind of product? I know my frequently-used 1 year old Neo does not hold a charge as well as it did when new.

Steve,

I remember earlier in this thread the question of battery replacement [whether by us the user or Igolf themselves] could actually be accomplished. I seem to recall that the price of $80 was given to you by Igolf. I guess this could be looked at two ways - 1. Is it cost efficient for us to have them replace the internal battery considering what we originally paid for the Neo or 2. Just let it rundown until we have no other choice but to either let it die or to buy the upgraded unit that you would replace the battery [AA, AAA, whatever]. I like the internal battery unit but I have to wonder if manual battery replacement isn't better?

Incidentally, you say your battery isn't holding the charge like it once did. What's it down to now before you have to recharge and how long?

...Just let it rundown until we have no other choice but to either let it die or to buy the upgraded unit that you would replace the battery [AA, AAA, whatever]. I like the internal battery unit but I have to wonder if manual battery replacement isn't better?
Before tossing it, I would FORCE open the case to see what I could do. I once did the same to an electric razor I owned. I soldered in two rechargeable AA batteries in place of the internal batteries, and got almost a year of useful life out of it. I think the main problem would be that you would destroy, or mark up the Neo's case, and possibly lose the water resistance. I don't see anywhere on the case where you could pry open the case, so it's going to be a risk of ruining the unit all together. But there's no way I'd pay $80 for it--especially when you can find deals on them for around $100 it seems.

Incidentally, you say your battery isn't holding the charge like it once did. What's it down to now before you have to recharge and how long?
I don't know for sure, but I'll charge it 100% this week and see what it comes out to.

These devices usually have a Lithium-ion or NiMH rechargeable battery. These types perform best when stored with a full charge. The older NiCd batteries needed to be almost completely discharged before recharging to perform best. (I'm an old wedding photographer, with far too many bad NiCd experiences to count.)

I got a USB car charger for my phone that I use with the USB cord from my Neo. Since my car has a power port that's live without the car running, I usually charge the Neo immediately after playing while having lunch or a beverage after the round. After I come back to the car, it usually indicates that it's fully charged. If not, it is by the time I drive home, so it goes back in my bag right after I park.

I also find the hole number tough to see, but the backlight helps a bit. I think the reason we hadn't seen any software updates was due to the negotiations with Bushnell, after reading that announcement.

Attended the PGA Show today.

I spoke to the igolf rep at their booth and good news especially for steve. Look for a firmware update for the Neo in 2-4 weeks. It will add new features like the ability to recognze what course you are at with out having to select it among other upgrades.

Also the sync software will be upgraded. He showed me how it looked and worked, I think it is a big improvement.

TEC was $106.00 for a new or refurbished unit? I went into the local Golfsmith last week and they were selling the neo's for $149.99. I went in to look at the Skycaddie SG3 that was on sale. When the salesman saw me looking at the comparison chart. He told me about Golfwrx.com. Now after reading many of the forums on golf gps units. I've narrowed it down to the IGolf neo and the Golf Guro. But for $106.00 for a new unit, the neo would be the easy winner for me.

After reading all the comments posted here, I also bought iGolf Neo and played with it last few rounds. It's been very good with accurate yardages. It has all the essential information I needed to play with confidence. On one occasion, my friend with Sky Caddie could not get GPS data and the other friend could not use his laser range finder due to dense fog. Neo was going strong without a hitch. Kudos to iGolf.

However, I wish their customer service was better. One of the courses I played had hole numbers all wrong in Neo GPS data since the course management changed hole designation a couple of years ago. So, I sent the scanned image of my scorecard to them(thru email to the customer service rep) about a week ago and the service rep told me someone would contact me once the GPS data is updated with correct hole numbers. I still have not heard back from them. After requesting few GPS data for missing courses, I now have 0 mapping credit and cannot request any missing golf course mapping any more. I honestly don't get why they have mapping credit for requesting GPS mapping of missing courses and don't allow me to request any missing course GPS data. One more thing, I wish I can see when the GPS data was posted/edited on iGolf web site.

(Note: I have to stand corrected regarding my opinion on iGolf customer service. Mike Cecchin(GolfSD123) looked into not only this particular matter but also other course update requests I made previously. The update request was fulfilled within a week. I just did not get notifed until now. So, I've made update to my comment above regarding customer service.)

One more thing, I wish I can see when the GPS data was posted/edited on iGolf web site.

I agree and I was told by igolf at the pga show that it would be incorporated in the new web site. I don't recall how soon however. At least they said it would be done which is good news.

As far as your other comment. One of my courses reversed the front and back nines. I sent the new card in and the course file was updated within a week. This was a year ago however. I wonder if the new partnership with Bushnell and all the new updates they are working on has them behind?

One more thing, I wish I can see when the GPS data was posted/edited on iGolf web site.

I agree and I was told by igolf at the pga show that it would be incorporated in the new web site. I don't recall how soon however. At least they said it would be done which is good news.

As far as your other comment. One of my courses reversed the front and back nines. I sent the new card in and the course file was updated within a week. This was a year ago however. I wonder if the new partnership with Bushnell and all the new updates they are working on has them behind?

roho,

Thank you for sharing the information. It's good to know they are working on it.

To be fair to iGolf, I have to confess that I just realized that it wasn't weeks ago since I requested GPS data update. Actually it was 8 days ago, to be exactly correct. It felt like weeks since I played last time and sent the email to iGolf. While checking my email today, I realized it was last week. Sorry for inaccuracy in my comment(to iGolf and other users here; I corrected it in above posting).

Hi, I purchased a Neo last summer. I have nothing bad to say about it. You get what you pay for though. It is very accurate and easy to use. My game has ben getting better. They only bad thing with it is that it only gives you from were you are to the green. So if you are playing a course that you don't know sometimes laying up is hard to gage and or doglegs. That is my only gripe. But I don't think I am good enough to need to pay for all of that yet. If you are not scratch then I believe it is worth every penny. They have lots of courses to download also. All of the ones I play in my area. :rolleyes:

They only bad thing with it is that it only gives you from were you are to the green. So if you are playing a course that you don't know sometimes laying up is hard to gage and or doglegs.

Eh? Each course can have up to four custom points, which include "EOF" (End of fairway" or something to indicate a layup point. Yours should too. And remember, you can always add custom points to your maps, so if you know you want to layup at a certain point, mark it so you have it next time. Most of the courses I play regularly have a lot of my custom markings in them.

I just received an email from igolf tech support regarding course images and it seems as if they are working to make all course maps compatible with the new triton and saturn models... They also mentioned that if you run out of 'request' credits just email them and they'll reload you with more. I give them credit for at least addressing the issues with the incompatibility with their new igolf gps models. I loaded a few courses on my triton and i'm waiting for the snow to melt in CT so I can use this thing.

I just received an email from igolf tech support regarding course images and it seems as if they are working to make all course maps compatible with the new triton and saturn models... They also mentioned that if you run out of 'request' credits just email them and they'll reload you with more. I give them credit for at least addressing the issues with the incompatibility with their new igolf gps models. I loaded a few courses on my triton and i'm waiting for the snow to melt in CT so I can use this thing.

What are the incompatibilities?

I was wondering what happens when they add the course graphic to the file. The neo obviously doesn't have that capability.

How much larger will the file be? Will it mean we won't be able to store as many courses?

The Neo will simply ignore the extra data during the transfer. When you transfer the course back to your PC, the extra data will be missing from the file.

It would seem, then, that to have that data available later if needed, it would be a good idea to copy it to another file before loading it into the Neo. That way, you'll maintain a complete copy of that file in case you get a more capable iGolf/Bushnell model later.