New iGolf Neo Model

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played around with my Neo at the range last night, the only real issue I had with it was that when calculating shot distance the yardage seemed to jump around alot, especially when pacing out putts. The course yardages seemed pretty stable though, not sure how accurate they are until I take it to the course. My only other complaint is that the buttons are rather small and hard to see in the dark. Overall I'm pleased with it, the real test will be when I take it on the course.

Hey gang- Well, after searching in-person at t-mo, verihifeezone, and the blue evil empire shops, I found a case that will allow operation while in the case! (exciting for me, less hassle, yada yada). The allure for me is 1) not having to take it out to get a reading each time, and 2) if I make sure it's fixed to my belt and strapped into the case, I won't worry about losing it.

The case is intended for a phone: LG 9100. I got it at a verizon affiliate mall kiosk. The phone is one of those ones that slides out (horizontally). So it's got a full window with no obstruction of any of the neo's screen, buttons, or button labels!

I will need to make some mods, the first of which being velcro to the back of the neo and the inside/back of the case (to keep it from falling out if it accidentally gets turned upside-down etc), the 2nd mod would be reinforcing the contact points where the window plastic is sewn to the leather back of the case - there's 5 points of contact. I may try to run something about 3/4" wide along on the inside edges of the case - any ideas?

2637081928_4cc1ae6a7d_b.jpg

*the bonus about this case is that the case has a 2nd half, which is essentially the same dimensions (a touch smaller) and flimsier (but still has 2 notches to loop a belt through) So it's kind of 2 cases for the price of 1 ($25 after tax, ugh).

2637079946_888a3209d3_m.jpg

edit- now with picturey goodness!

*If anyone from L1 is reading this, I think it would be great if (in addition to the leather belt case on your website) you offered one with a clear window and access to the buttons, for the purpose of allowing use while in the case.

Just purchased a neo and downloaded 3 fairly local courses played all 3 in 3 days, my home course was fantastic and right on but the other 2 courses where not even close, actually Id, say 10 out of the 18 holes were off on one course by 100 yds the other was mapped wrong and the actual hole I was playing was #7 365, and the neo said 675, but when I changed the hole # back a hole it was the right yardage. I've emailed IGolf but I thought maybe one of you had an answer

thanks

NEO UPDATE:

I have only downloaded about 5 courses (damn 95 more to go on my membership...haha) so far and each and every one of them has been almost completely spot on with the yardages. Is iGolf's version of Front,Center,Back the same as what YOU the golfer deems??...Maybe not always, but we're talking a yard off here or there based on mapping. I am very sure that SkyCaddy and the rest are just as bad or worse when it comes to that,etc.

I have probably said it before but the COOLEST thing for me besides it's price, accuracy, satellite connection/responsiveness,etc is.....the self mapping!

I have mapped 3 dogtrack munys now that are not available on the website and it is the smoothest,fastest,EASIEST, thing to map a course(s) you frequent to YOUR personal preferences.

PS-Played in a tournament with 2 other guys who had the newest most expensive Skycaddys and off and on during the round they both said "I'm not getting a reading, I've lost the connection".......Each time they would say that I'd pull out the little Neo and smile as the yardage was there every single time.....HA.

Finally for us Neo users:

http://www.igolf.com/igolfstore/igolfstore...ssories/29.html

Case, belt clip, etc...

~jj

On the topic of cases, I'm going to try to find something that lets you use it while in the case (I found one of the ones that was made in China for $.30 and sold for $9.99...would have worked ok - a case for a thick bar phone circa 1998-2000...but no sale).

May have just made a find (or 2!!), which MAY allow use while in the case, but haven't seen them in person

Body Glove -Universal- Music phone cases- SCUBA

Body Glove -Universal - music phone cases - CARGO

*both feature an elastic arm band (which could conceivably be wrapped vertically around one's belt)

here are the neo's dimensions: 1.75" x 3.25" x .75"

The SCUBA photo depicts a blackberry (pearl, as far as I can tell)- dimensions of the blackberry: 2.0" x 4.2" x 0.6" (close!!)

*The CARGO photo shows my exact model cell phone in the cargo case. The neo is about 0.5" shorter length-wise than my phone, (but essentially identical thicknesses and widths) the screens are comparable, but the neo screen is smaller, which is good in this case because the screen won't be obscured.

--> based on what I can tell, I'm going to guess SCUBA universal musicphone case is the winner because the case-window is wide, to the edge which would allow you to see the button-labels. The only remaining question is how it will work to hit the buttons through the edge-material OR cut a tiny hole for each button? The hunt is on, whoever gets one in their hands first -wins!

alternately, there's the more-expensive DLO action-jacket for the iphone, but the iphone is wider and taller of course.

what about VELCRO?! :man_in_love:

There are some units (4) at the Bellevue, WA Sharper Image location. Store closes after this weekend though and the units cannot be mailed (I tried). They are selling for $75 so if you know anyone in the area, have them call to confirm they're still there today. The sales clerk told me they haven't sold very well out of that location. I wish I knew someone who could pick one up for me, but I don't.

After reading this, and many other, posts concerning various GPS units I purchased a NEO today. My initial impressions have been very positive. Haven't had it out on a course yet, but I did go by my local range and waited for the last customers to leave so that I could walk the range and map it out. The mapping is intuitive and takes very little time. Hopefully the on course use will go as smooth.

I do have one question though... to maximize battery life, should the unit only be charged when the battery is low or completely drained? Or, can I recharge it at any point without adversely affecting the battery life?

Thanks for any info and expect a more in depth review once I can get to a course in the upcoming days.

I do have one question though... to maximize battery life, should the unit only be charged when the battery is low or completely drained? Or, can I recharge it at any point without adversely affecting the battery life?

You know, I've been thinking the same thing. From what I've heard, the battery "learns" by how it is used. Therefore, it is my understanding, that a person should let the battery get as low as it can get before recharging it so it knows to keep going like the Everready bunny. However I would like to hear more about this. Maybe it doesn't matter after all.

You know, I've been thinking the same thing. From what I've heard, the battery "learns" by how it is used. Therefore, it is my understanding, that a person should let the battery get as low as it can get before recharging it so it knows to keep going like the Everready bunny. However I would like to hear more about this. Maybe it doesn't matter after all.

bingo- My manual says the neo is a lithium-ion battery, which does not suffer from the "memory effect" according to wiki. (the problem is with Nicad batteries)

Fear not, charge away!

I played my first round w/o it this past weekend (after having played a few with it) - oh man, I don't ever want to play another round without! (it was because my dad & I played a spur of the moment round at a course I hadn't downloaded)

Here is the "before" picture of my unofficial neo case:

*as you can see, the contact points between the plastic window were few and probably weak.

2691104369_9afb8d4e4a.jpg

Here are a few new shots of my neo in its case v2.0!

*I added "gorilla tape" [wow! if you need a serious job done and duct tape won't do it...] along the inside and outside seams.

2691888620_de15facffb.jpg

2691889188_9c86e90d36.jpg

*also added a strip of velcro to the inside top, just to be safe!

I love that it allows for usage while in the case! And it can be yours for $49.99!

black%20eye.gif

ok ok! I was just kidding...

(I credit the neo for giving me my first EAGLE this past week! 2 good strokes set up a 95 yd approach, perfect range for my PW - bounce-bounce-IN!) :swoon2:

I bit the bullet and ordered one from ebay. I used to have the igolf caddie II, but sold it because I never like using it because of it's size. This unit looks perfect for me. I never used all the features of the caddie II, I just want to know F, C, and B of greens as well as some hazards and also ball distance. Hopefully I can just stick this little guy in my pocket and play without it losing signal.