14 way stand bags

I've always been a fan of the 14 way stand bags with full dividers. My current bag is the Sun Mountain Hybrid bag from 2014. One of the zippers completely ripped off so I'm debating having it repaired or just looking for something new. I think I've narrowed it down to a few, but availability seems to be an issue at the moment. Anyway, does anybody have any experience with the following bags?

Nike Air Hybrid Golf Bag 2020 (probably my top choice)

Vessel 2.0 14-Way Players Stand Bag (expensive)

Ogio Convoy SE Stand Bag 14

Sun Mountain 4.5 LS

Titleist 2020 Hybrid 14 Stand Bag

It's tricky looking through the 14 way bags because a lot of them don't have 14 full length dividers. It's not entirely clear in their descriptions, but I think these all have that.  Are there any others I should consider?

Thanks

I have the 2019 Titleist Hybrid 14.  I ride most 18 hole rounds but walk most 9 hole rounds, so I needed a bag that served both purposes well.  I like the Hybrid 14 and think it does an adequate job at both roles.  There's always going to have to be some compromises when you want a bag that you can walk with and works great on a riding cart.  

The Hybrid 14 has plenty of pockets and storage (I don't need a cooler pocket that can hold a 6-pack).  The club grips do sometimes tangle slightly at the bottom, but nothing terrible.  Ironically, it usually only happens when it's on the riding cart, but not when walking.

I haven't tried any of the other bags on your list.

Ping G430 Max 9* HZRDUS Smoke RDX Blue 🇺🇸 LE

TM SIM Ti 5w Fuji Atmos Blue TS 7x

Ping G410 3h Fuji Atmos Blue TS 8HY

Titleist 816 5h Diamana Blue

Mizuno 919 Forged 6-P, HM Pro 5

Ping Glide Stealth 50 SS, 54 WS, 58 ES

Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2022 slant

TM TP5

Just an fyi, the Vessel bags do not have full-length dividers, even though the website says it does. I contacted them a while back to confirm this, and this was the reply:

There are 14 slots at the top, each have a nylon divider extending down inside. Of those 14, 3 go fully down, about 3/4” from the bottom, and the remaining 11 go down about 1/4” of the way from the divider top (if that makes sense).

I believe there is also a thread on Vessel bags on the forum where someone else has also confirmed that the dividers do no extend all the way down. 

Out of the other options you've listed I like the Nike Air hybrid bag the best, and it's what I'm currently using (had a Sun Mountain C130 cart bag prior to the Nike). It might be difficult to find one at retail though, since they're sold out. 

I went from the C130 (used for 4 years) to the Ogio Convoy. It has the full length dividers, plenty of space, and is overall an awesome bag. Like the C130, it has a single strap vs a double strap but I always use a push cart so carrying is not an issue. I got a great deal on eBay for it. 

WITB
Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0*

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 15* 

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 19* 

Ping i525 4-UW

Titleist Vokey SM8- 54* and 58*

Custom Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1

I actually just got a Sun Mountain 4.5 yesterday to replace my four year old Nike Air Hybrid. The nike held up well, but it got heavy when carrying. The SM is much lighter. Although I do prefer the straps on the Nike over the SM. Honestly, I would go with whichever is cheaper. 

I use the Sun Mountain C130s stand bag and LOVE it. 14 way full divider stand bag with all the pockets of a cart bag. Comes with a single carry strap, but with some ingenuity a normal 2 shoulder style sling could be attached. Not overly heavy by any means (much lighter than standard cart bag), but obviously the extra pockets and gear will add a little weight compared to the 3.5 or 4.5 ls.

Edited by vstensrud23
Typo

G400 Max 9* : Ventus Black 6X

G400 3W 14.5* : Rogue 125 MSI 70TX

TSI3 3H 20* : Atmos TS Blue HB 8X 

'21 T100 4-PW : AMT Tour White S300

SM8 50.08F, 54.14F, SM9 58.08M : DG S300

'00 White Hot Rossie

Chrome Soft TT

9 hours ago, raheelc said:

Just an fyi, the Vessel bags do not have full-length dividers, even though the website says it does. I contacted them a while back to confirm this, and this was the reply:

There are 14 slots at the top, each have a nylon divider extending down inside. Of those 14, 3 go fully down, about 3/4” from the bottom, and the remaining 11 go down about 1/4” of the way from the divider top (if that makes sense).

I believe there is also a thread on Vessel bags on the forum where someone else has also confirmed that the dividers do no extend all the way down. 

Out of the other options you've listed I like the Nike Air hybrid bag the best, and it's what I'm currently using (had a Sun Mountain C130 cart bag prior to the Nike). It might be difficult to find one at retail though, since they're sold out. 

Wow, thanks for that info. I never would've known based on the description on their site. It looks like they are back in stock and they actually now have a new bag coming out. It sounds like the new bag does have 14 full length dividers. Here is what the site describes:

14-way with 14 full-length, fully enclosed dividers 

After doing a little more research, I think the black Nike Hybrid bag would be great, but it's completely sold out everywhere and the ebay prices are ridiculous. I had the original Nike hybrid bag around 8 years ago and it was great except the top was a little tight. They've since made the tops bigger to accommodate oversize grips on putters. The new Vessel 3 bag looks great, I just have to confirm that the dividers are full length. I also don't know if I want to spend that much on a golf bag, but seeing how my last bag is from 2014 and I don't buy that much stuff usually I might as well splurge!

2 hours ago, Linkkingx said:

Wow, thanks for that info. I never would've known based on the description on their site. It looks like they are back in stock and they actually now have a new bag coming out. It sounds like the new bag does have 14 full length dividers. Here is what the site describes:

14-way with 14 full-length, fully enclosed dividers 

After doing a little more research, I think the black Nike Hybrid bag would be great, but it's completely sold out everywhere and the ebay prices are ridiculous. I had the original Nike hybrid bag around 8 years ago and it was great except the top was a little tight. They've since made the tops bigger to accommodate oversize grips on putters. The new Vessel 3 bag looks great, I just have to confirm that the dividers are full length. I also don't know if I want to spend that much on a golf bag, but seeing how my last bag is from 2014 and I don't buy that much stuff usually I might as well splurge!

Yeah I would definitely confirm with Vessel before ordering the new bag, as the player 2.0 bag says something similar on the website. 

The Nike is definitely a great bag, can't go wrong with it if you can find one close to MSRP. I was actually able to use some credit card points on amazon and was able to purchase it pretty close to the MSRP price after using some points. I know it's not the best use of credit card points, but glad I decided to go that route. I also have a flat cat putter grip on my putter (Axis1 Rose), and medium sized jumbomax grips on my other clubs, and all of them fit perfectly within each slot. 

So I messaged Vessel customer service and they did confirm that the new bag has 14 full length dividers. Here was their response:

"Yes, the Player III 14-way have 14 full length fully enclosed dividers. The 2.0 14-way has 14 3/4 length dividers that are not fully enclosed."

I'd still settle for the Nike Hybrid if I can find it, but if I'm going all out it'll be the Vessel.

I have always struggled with the 14-way divider, but I'll weigh in that I have always loved SM bags, and I tried the Vessell and it was the least user friendly bag I've ever owned, so I couldn't imagine the 14 way vessell would be worth anything (in my opinion).  

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

On 10/27/2020 at 4:52 PM, J_Tizzle said:

I have always struggled with the 14-way divider, but I'll weigh in that I have always loved SM bags, and I tried the Vessell and it was the least user friendly bag I've ever owned, so I couldn't imagine the 14 way vessell would be worth anything (in my opinion).  

I also love my sun mountain hybrid bag but there are a few things about it that could be better. I don't carry too often but my bag only has a single strap so when I do it's kind of cumbersome. It also doesn't feel as premium and durable as my original nike hybrid bag from years ago. Just out of curiosity, which vessel bag did you own and what about it did you find wasn't user friendly?

I've got the Nike Air hybrid. The bag looks fantastic, the straps are comfortable, the stand mechanism works fine. I also love it has a pretty stable flat bottom so I can feel safe standing it upright. I came from a Sun Mountain 3.5 - wanted something that was 14-way but was still not a chore to carry as I hoof it around the practice area at my course quite a bit.

It's noticeably heavier than the 3.5 when carrying but I think the straps are just as comfortable so it's fine for me. I'd probably feel different if I actually wanted to carry for 18.

My biggest gripe about the bag is the pockets. The large pockets on the left and right side are fine, but the smaller pockets for balls/tees/etc are stacked right on top of each other and feel less thought out than the pocket layout on the 3.5. 

On 10/28/2020 at 5:06 PM, Linkkingx said:

I also love my sun mountain hybrid bag but there are a few things about it that could be better. I don't carry too often but my bag only has a single strap so when I do it's kind of cumbersome. It also doesn't feel as premium and durable as my original nike hybrid bag from years ago. Just out of curiosity, which vessel bag did you own and what about it did you find wasn't user friendly?

I had the Vessel 2.0 stand bag, whatever its called.  I just thought that the grips tangled a lot on it, the top seemed small compared to anything i've ever used, and I just hate the organization of a 6-slot top.

At the end of the day, I've had so many SM and Ping bags and other various ones, and I ALWAYS come back to the SM ones.  The feel of the material isn't as premium as some of the others, but thats what keeps the weight down.

• Like 1
TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

16 minutes ago, J_Tizzle said:

I had the Vessel 2.0 stand bag, whatever its called.  I just thought that the grips tangled a lot on it, the top seemed small compared to anything i've ever used, and I just hate the organization of a 6-slot top.

At the end of the day, I've had so many SM and Ping bags and other various ones, and I ALWAYS come back to the SM ones.  The feel of the material isn't as premium as some of the others, but thats what keeps the weight down.

I've been searching for a SM H2NO 14-way model, but they seem to be discontinued this year and last year's seems be sold out.  SM manages to pack a lot of features into their bags while still keep the weight down.  Agree that SM bags aren't super premium, but they are very functional, especially for walkers.    

I just went thru this exercise.

My observations = 

Nike Air Hybrid was nearly impossible to find - could not see it in person / could not buy it anywhere.  I believe it was one of the heaviest options too.  Otherwise - looks great on paper.

Vessel - I really wanted this one, but read of some quick wear due to cart strap...did not want to buy a very expensive bag only to have it look like crap quickly, did not want to buy add on strap protectors, etc.

Ogio and Sun Mountain - I did not care for the look / feel in person.  Looked great on paper though, just off looking/feeling materials

Titleist - Went with this option 2020 Hybrid 14.  Is a bit heavier than I like but lots of room, smart design, sharp looking materials and colors, high quality.  Have had a Titleist bag in the past, can confirm high quality.  IMO - best balance of all factors - cost, functionality, look, feel.  Available everywhere - can see them in person.

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

On 11/2/2020 at 8:43 AM, ALTSean said:

I've been searching for a SM H2NO 14-way model, but they seem to be discontinued this year and last year's seems be sold out.  SM manages to pack a lot of features into their bags while still keep the weight down.  Agree that SM bags aren't super premium, but they are very functional, especially for walkers.    

I will say, I've had the following SM bags: 2015 4.5 14-way, 2017 3.5, Hybrid, 3.5 "stealth", 2018 5.5, 2019 4.5 4-way, and 2020 3.5, and the best ones for me have been the 2019 4.5 and the 2020 3.5 without a doubt.  The 2020 3.5 one is about perfect in all honesty.   I always struggle with where to put the rangefinder and I love the little slot on the apparel pocket for the rangefinder, easy to access and stable/safe there.  It works so much better than the extra pocket on the main part that really makes everything much worse in my opinion.  

• Like 1

I got in on the pre-order for the Vessel Player Stand III, 14-Way, White. 

I'm still using a SM LS 4.5 14-Way and it's been a solid bag. Not great. Here's why I'm getting away from it.

• The legs have a small screw that keeps the long metal piece together right in the middle, when the base is activated to stand. That screw has popped off many times. In fact, I had to have them send me a new leg kit last year (my bag was purchased in 2019) and it fell out again this year.  I'm tired of dealing with that. The problem is that if the screw is out, and you're not paying attention, the long metal piece that keeps the legs together get separated and your bag will just fall right over.
  • The actual base of the stand, the part that activates when the legs work, doesn't fit will in my Clic Gear 3.5. As a result of it not sitting flush, I had to buy the bag balance thing and that's kind of a pain the butt too.  And the bag bottom doesn't always sit flush on riding carts either.
  • The good about the bag - it's super light and I never had club tangle of any kind. Plenty of storage. 

I'm looking forward though to having a really nice bag. I'm getting the cart strap with it and I realize having to worry about something like that is a bummer for such an expensive bag.  I get that. But it's a small issue for me because I don't ride that often. Also, if I don't get that cart strap for being in the pre-order, it's not a big deal to buy a tube sock and cut a hole in the end and have that as my cart strap when I need it. I'm most looking forward to having my bag sit flush on my push cart. It's so irritating re-adjusting a bag every few holes.  And lastly, anyone that's willing to buy the Nike bags for the inflated price, the Vessel is the same price. Might as well get the luxury bag, right?

DR: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 7S
5W: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 8S
3H: Titleist 816 H2 - Speeder 8.8X
Irons (4-P): Mizuno MP-20 MMC - KBS $ X
Wedges (50,54,58): Mizuno T20 Raw - KBS $ X
Putter: Seemore Nashville
Ball: 2021 Pro V1