2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Callaway FT Irons

Goldenhawk

These are extremely nice irons. I have seen them twice in person and hit them into a net once...very nice set-up. I know I am going to purchase a set, my question for those who have hit them is would you recommend the Nippon shaft or possibly something different? I have always played s300, but want to try something different so was thinking of sticking with the stock nippon or going project X 5.5. My Six iron goes about 175. The Nippon did feel a bit soft, but again I have not been able to hit outside and may not get to for 4-6 weeks. Thanks to anyone who can give their opinion / recommendation!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a set of new FTs still in plastic at local shop....SWEET....I'm with Mallet above, Nippon or DGSL or Project X 5.5? I currently have X-Tours DSG S300 and backup set is X Tour DGSL. Any input is appreciated...

Like all New Year's resolutions, Failing miserably at kicking the 'Ho addiction :-D

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

For those who are still considering the original fusions, Callawaygolfpreowned also sells on ebay. You'll get [i][b]MUCH[/b][/i] better prices on these sets than buying directly from their site. I've bought a few sets of irons from them on ebay and they always deliver clubs that are in better condition than listed.

Here is the one set that they have listed now, it's graphite but you can see the price is great for a "like new" set. They often will list "very good" steel for between $3-400
[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/CALLAWAY-BIG-BERTHA-FUSION-IRON-3-PW-GRAPH-REG-LIKENEW_W0QQitemZ310015083955QQihZ021QQcategoryZ115280QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.com/CALLAWAY-BIG-BERTHA-FU...0QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

The great thing is that they are usually cleaned up (soles polished, etc), you know that length, loft, lie are all to spec and you also know that they are authentic. Their customer support is also A+ and they'll always take care of you if there are any issues.

Just can't say enough great things about their preowned stuff, if you decide to go through their site they give you a very good amount on trades. It makes me sick to see what golfsmith would give for my old BB04's.

[quote name='golfdad907' post='874267' date='Jan 20 2008, 09:57 PM']I saw a set of new FTs still in plastic at local shop....SWEET....I'm with Mallet above, Nippon or DGSL or Project X 5.5? I currently have X-Tours DSG S300 and backup set is X Tour DGSL. Any input is appreciated...

Like all New Year's resolutions, Failing miserably at kicking the 'Ho addiction :-D[/quote]

The stock Nippon works for me. But everyone is different. And at $1100.00 a set, getting fit would be the way to go.

TaylorMade Qi10 Driver, 10.5*, GD Tour AD IZ-5S

Ping G430 Max 10K, 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus Velocore TR Red 5R

TaylorMade Qi10 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Fujikura Ventus TR Blue FW 65 R

TaylorMade 2023 P790 Irons, 4-PW, TT DG 105 R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

[quote name='dr.golf' post='875216' date='Jan 21 2008, 03:41 PM']Looks like a lot of offset? ;)

doc[/quote]

Callaway says the FT irons have a 1/2 offset.

[quote name='Goldenhawk' post='866858' date='Jan 16 2008, 04:23 PM'][quote name='SwingMan' post='863045' date='Jan 14 2008, 09:17 AM']I believe the difference is that this year's FT irons differ from the Fusions in terms of the FT is more of a player's cb -- less offset, slightly less heel to toe, etc.

Not something I wanted -- I thought the old Fusions were for guys who preferred gads of forgiveness (Ti Face lots of weight moved to the edges) but less offset and a medium sole. The FT seems to take these features and reduces the size of the club into more of a so-called player's iron.[/quote]

For a player's club, the FT's are very forgiving. I think they're easier to hit than the regular X-20s.

Over a week with the FT's and i'm still loving them. The 7 iron in my X-20 Tour set goes about 145-150 yards. The 7 iron in the FT set goes an easy 150 yards.

Alas, my FT 3 iron arrives at the house tomorrow. Now hitting the 3 iron will be fun.
[/quote]

Tell us, "Hawk", are you able to control trajectory with stock shafts? I've heard some say very high ball flight, but if can keep low when necessary, what's the big deal, I say? Anyway, getting ready to pull trigger on new set, just not sure if stock Nippon, Black Gold, or Rifles. Your opinion is appreciated.

Anyone else have thoughts/opinions on NS Pro 1100 vs. Black Gold or Rifles? Thanks, All.

X Forged C Grind 52*
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow

[quote name='golfdad907' post='878016' date='Jan 23 2008, 12:28 AM'][quote name='Goldenhawk' post='866858' date='Jan 16 2008, 04:23 PM'][quote name='SwingMan' post='863045' date='Jan 14 2008, 09:17 AM']I believe the difference is that this year's FT irons differ from the Fusions in terms of the FT is more of a player's cb -- less offset, slightly less heel to toe, etc.

Not something I wanted -- I thought the old Fusions were for guys who preferred gads of forgiveness (Ti Face lots of weight moved to the edges) but less offset and a medium sole. The FT seems to take these features and reduces the size of the club into more of a so-called player's iron.[/quote]

For a player's club, the FT's are very forgiving. I think they're easier to hit than the regular X-20s.

Over a week with the FT's and i'm still loving them. The 7 iron in my X-20 Tour set goes about 145-150 yards. The 7 iron in the FT set goes an easy 150 yards.

Alas, my FT 3 iron arrives at the house tomorrow. Now hitting the 3 iron will be fun.
[/quote]

Tell us, "Hawk", are you able to control trajectory with stock shafts? I've heard some say very high ball flight, but if can keep low when necessary, what's the big deal, I say? Anyway, getting ready to pull trigger on new set, just not sure if stock Nippon, Black Gold, or Rifles. Your opinion is appreciated.

Anyone else have thoughts/opinions on NS Pro 1100 vs. Black Gold or Rifles? Thanks, All.
[/quote]

The FT's have a very high ball flight. But I need it. I am classified as having a high speed low spin golf swing. I control trajectories just as might instructor has taught me, my changing ball position at address.

But coming from a set of X-20 Tours with Rifle Flighted 5.5 shafts, I think a set of FT's with Rifle Flighted Shafts would be an awesome combination.

[quote name='sharkhark' post='870877' date='Jan 18 2008, 11:54 PM']Ps to the guy above who said the ft is not bore thru, they are wrong. Its even on cally site. It is modified slightly from the original bore thru, but bore thru is bore thru. yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey

FT Irons

Modified Tru-Bore Design
An advanced version of the original Tru-Bore Design, the polycarbonate tip plug at the end of the shaft dampens vibration for enhanced feel and performance.[/quote]
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Well first the "tru bore design" is a callaway copyrighted name. Yes the heads are bored through but thats where it ends, compared to the old Fusions, orig Fusions had 370 shafts that were slit cut to fit hosel and the shaft went through the end of the head. The new FT has a 355 tip shaft and the shaft does not go to the end of the head, the new FT Callaway shaft has a vibration insert in the end of the shaft and protrudes thru the end, when you remove the insert you can see the difference.

I`m not knocking the new FT`s, I`m getting a set but still keeping my origionals but on another forum they have taken the new FT`s tip off and have described the differences and showed pictures............Jim

Wasn't trying to cause problems when i replied to your post.
Never implied that they were exactly the same as original bore thrus, they are updated, but the term is still used.
In your original post you didn't say the ft's were a different bore thru, you said [u]"First the new FT`s are not bore throughs." [/u]
Which caused some confusion. You have clarified now and in detail.

Thanks for the ball flight info. So you believe the flighted rifles would be a good choice for the FTs? I hit the ball fairly high and spin it well, that's why I was curious about the NS Pro 1100 shaft.

Anyone else have thoughts? I was contemplating Rifle flighted or Black Gold...feedback is appreciated.

X Forged C Grind 52*
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow

I hit my current gamer--MP60 with a DGSLS300 shaft vs. a uniflex FT iron today. I hit 7 irons and here's the results:
I averaged 165 yds carry with 23 degree launch, hi 4000's spin. With the FT my ball flight was higher and avgd about 152 yard carry with more side spin (off to the right more) and and higher launch and spin. I feel it has tobe the uniflex shaft. The FT head didn't feel as buttery but I still liked the feel of it. Solid hits were very satifying feeling but went nowhere. I suspect the shaft is culprit. probably a better shaft for regular speed swings and smooth transitions.

[quote name='w208amg' post='879378' date='Jan 23 2008, 07:34 PM']I feel it has to be the uniflex shaft. The FT head didn't feel as buttery but I still liked the feel of it. Solid hits were very satifying feeling but went nowhere. I suspect the shaft is culprit. probably a better shaft for regular speed swings and smooth transitions.[/quote]

It is the shaft. The lighterweight normal Nippons through 1050 are midkick with a medium tip and I've found worked well for people like myself who have a smoother transition. I don't know if Callaway had Nippon firm up the tip or not -- or maybe it was the uniflex nature of the shaft that did not work for you. I am suspicious of a "uniflex" shaft anyway - can you imagine the wide range of golfers that shaft needs to fit? or not fit?

The Fusions/FT are long clubs with the right shaft.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I saw these in person today, and wow, they definitely look good at address. Going to hit these and see what the numbers say compared to a bunch of other irons.

Hawk, any added impressions or thoughts on workability and ability to hit these low?

Also how is the transition from an ft wedge to an x tour wedge?

M3 440 IZ-6
M3 15 IZ-7
P790
Handground Vokeys
009M custom

I just got my FTs in today. I play R-flex, and was considering between the NS Pro 1100, Black Gold, or DGSL. I was switching from a set of X-Forged with Black Golds, irons that I really have no business playing. I loved the Black Gold shafts, and the X-Forged felt awesome on pured shots. But I had major issues with getting the 4 and the 5 up in the air. I decided to go with the NS Pro's in the end.

I hit 150 balls tonight with the FTs. And I can tell you they are worth every penny!

It was extremely windy at the range in SoCal today. [There's a storm coming through.] And I was able to lower the trajectory to get a boring flight into the wind by playing the ball back in my stance and keeping the follow-through below the shoulders. There is a definite difference in trajectory between that and a normal follow-through.

DSC_3366.jpg

DSC_3367.jpg

DSC_3368.jpg

DSC_3369.jpg

DSC_3373.jpg

DSC_3376.jpg

DSC_3378.jpg

[quote name='Eddie' post='880856' date='Jan 24 2008, 05:57 PM']I saw these in person today, and wow, they definitely look good at address. Going to hit these and see what the numbers say compared to a bunch of other irons.

Hawk, any added impressions or thoughts on workability and ability to hit these low?

Also how is the transition from an ft wedge to an x tour wedge?[/quote]

Workability is good. I was hitting fades with them yesterday at the range, and my normal ball flight is a slight draw. I've hit them low by changing ball position as taught to me by my instructor.

Transition to wedges has led to a change in my set up. The PW of the X-20 tour went 110 yards for me. The FT PW goes 115 yards. I changed my wedge set up from the 52 and 58 wedges to a 50, 54 and 58 to better accomdate the distances and give me more options in close.

I found that you can get custom fitted FT-irons on the golfsmith website (time for delivery 3 weeks)

Unlike o lot of members here , I play graphite shafts. Does anyone have an opinion of the graphite shaft options (hcp 15 , I tend to have a high launch )??

many thanks

here are the options in graphite and steel

ftironscustom1.jpg

ft3.jpg

ft3b.jpg

ftironscustom2.jpg

With the reputation of OEM club building, if you want a cut 'n glue job, order something in the correct weight that might fit your swing.

Otherwise, I'd go for the no upcharge graphite, play the club to make sure you like it, then ship them to someone who knows what they're doing, choose a shaft in the right weight (see [url="http://www.aerotechgolfshafts.com"]http://www.aerotechgolfshafts.com[/url] for some nice graphite) and will spine/flo and otherwise blueprint the clubs to your specs.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

The FT's are getting my interest. The one thing I"m not sure I can get past is the way the blade extends from the hosel. Being very picky, but I'm used to looking down at a player's cavity back where the blade appears more attached to the hosel than being extended out like on the FT's because of the bore-thru. To me, it seems like the sweet spot would be a full centimeter out farther than a regular player's cavity.

Indeed I just received a mail from Callaway Golf and you can BUILD & BUY the Ft-irons

[size=2]FT Irons Have Arrived & New Low Pricing on Big Bertha 460 Driver[/size]

[url="http://media.callawaygolf.com/images/emails/shop/2008/01.08/b/email.html"]http://media.callawaygolf.com/images/email...08/b/email.html[/url]

So I got to spend a little time with these irons inside the simulator.

Aside from the high blocks I was hitting, these seem to be hitting just a touch high with a little bit extra spin, (24 degrees, 5-6000rpm) with the 6 iron.

On center hits, it feels ok, it definitely doesn't compare to the feel of a well forged iron like a miura, and off center hits (which I had plenty of LOL) are responsive enough to be able to tell that it wasn't pure.

It definitely is not a SGI type of club.

I only got to spend a couple minutes with it, will go in for a real fitting in the near future.

But they definitely look great at address, not too much offset, not too little..

In my attempt to play easier to hit irons, the ft's are looking promising, want to compare this with the fourteen tc-550s.

M3 440 IZ-6
M3 15 IZ-7
P790
Handground Vokeys
009M custom

Thanks for the ball flight info. So you believe the flighted rifles would be a good choice for the FTs? I hit the ball fairly high and spin it well, that's why I was curious about the NS Pro 1100 shaft.

Anyone else have thoughts? I was contemplating Rifle flighted or Black Gold...feedback is appreciated.

I play the current Fusion irons and love it very much. In fact, that's the reason why my Hogan FTX isn't getting any play lately. The ball flight is very high for me but to me that's no big deal. With other irons my balls go medium trajectory then, lands takes a hop or two then stops. With Fusions, it kicks up right after leaving the club face and slowly comes down with no bounce, no hop and no roll. The result is all carry that is actually exactly the same as my old iron distance that included both carry and roll. (this is the case for all irons including 4 and 5 iron)

I think this is mostly due to the shaft. I can try this with my Hogan's but it takes some work. With the Fusion, I just hit away with abandon. It's almost like cheating.

Nippon shaft is awesome IMHO.

• 3 weeks later...
Looks like a lot of offset? :drinks:

doc

Callaway says the FT irons have a 1/2 offset.

What is a 1/2 offset? Does anybody have tha exact measurements in inches or mm's. These are not mentioned on the Callaway website.

Driver  :XXIO 10
Woods : COBRA RADSPEED 3W + 5W
Hybrids : NONE 
Irons : JPX-800-HD
Wedges : CLEVELAND CBX2  50-11 + 56-12 + 60-10
Putter : ODYSSEY WHITE HOT  RX  #2

there is something that draws me to pick these up every time I walk by them at the store. They are one of those sets that I would never play cause the offset and sole width. But they grow on you. I have to get off this thread before I make a knee jerk reaction and start clicking the wrong buttons on the computer. That always ends up in a box showing up at the front door.