2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Rapsodo Round 2 issues-- Help!

My first unit was a definite dud. The CS at Rapsodo was excellent and got me a new one. I've had two sessions with better results, but last night was a fluke. I really want to like this thing and I see that it has so much potential but It's simply not working for me. I'm convinced I'm doing something wrong, so again, Help!!

TLDR-- look at the photos and tell me what's wrong with my setup, please.

I hit about 75 balls last night with the unit active in just about every position, elevation, and distance I can think of. It registered a grand total of 17 shots before I gave up. The best sequence of shots I had register in a row was 3. What am I doing wrong. 

I tried:

- SW, 7i, and 4i. None of the SW registered, but it's possible it can't track it because the "snick" of the wedge isn't loud enough, or the launch angle is too high with the bay and all the other interference.

- The 7i registered most, but short by about 10y on the best results. I'm ok with that so long as everything is consistent.

- 4i came very short. My stock 5 is approximately 205y carry. The best I could produce with the 4i was 209y on a flushed ball. 

- Distances at 4', 6', 8' and probably 9'. I'm 6'3" and I could lie down with room to spare from ball to unit. (See photo) I also took my ProStix alignment sticks and laid out two end-to-end for distance. I assume they're about 4' each and end on end reach easily a few feet above my head. 

- Unit on the ground below the hitting surface (surprisingly produced the best results).

- Unit on top of the zipped case.

- Unit sitting on my wallet.

- Unit with ball in the "ball box". 

- Unit with ball on "alignment line".

- Hitting out right directly in line with my stock shot.

- Hitting in line with an alignment stick. 

- Hitting far to my left to make sure the side-bay wasn't interfering.

- Resetting the machine.

- Resetting the app. 

Nothing produced consistent results. 

Any input would be greatly appreciated 

71ED50A1-D811-4B8B-8AF0-9B943CAC1B46.jpeg

E05A9793-60B1-4B6E-A85D-786A3868B2F7.jpeg

Edited by AcesAndHoles
Added photos

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons : Callaway Apex Pro '21 5-AW-- S400 (S)

Woods: Callaway Epic Speed 3W

Putter: TM HydroBlast Del Monte 1

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Daniel Eason said:

Could that metal pole be interfering with the RF?

That was my thinking but I tried it on the same line in front of the pole as well. Received 3 reads and then nothing. At the time I was placing the ball literally where the club head is sitting every time.

3 hours ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

It’s night. 

On 4/9/2021 at 5:48 PM, rchang72 said:

I have a Rapsodo. I actually found putting it in between the target line and my foot line helped. Also if it’s too dark, it doesn’t pick up the ball

Yes, and no. Rapsodo customer support responded that the area is too dark. Yet, clearly the range is lit and the hitting bay is very bright. I’ve seen videos a lot darker than mine register and I’ve had decent results in a lot worse lighting conditions. So I’m not sure what to make of it. Case and point a screen I took today from their Instagram... 

2429F417-8F03-442A-B7CF-B673F7B6F6DA.png.103f1e138f2e7d9e40a9ff11a99e1738.png

If my setup posted above is too dark then it completely defeats my purposes of having this LM, and it’s soon going to be found in the bst thread. Unfortunately I work until 6:30 m-f and the closest range down the block closes at 6:30. There’s no way to walk the dog and catch daylight hours. 

8 hours ago, AcesAndHoles said:

Yes, and no. Rapsodo customer support responded that the area is too dark. Yet, clearly the range is lit and the hitting bay is very bright. I’ve seen videos a lot darker than mine register and I’ve had decent results in a lot worse lighting conditions. So I’m not sure what to make of it. Case and point a screen I took today from their Instagram... 

2429F417-8F03-442A-B7CF-B673F7B6F6DA.png.103f1e138f2e7d9e40a9ff11a99e1738.png

If my setup posted above is too dark then it completely defeats my purposes of having this LM, and it’s soon going to be found in the bst thread. Unfortunately I work until 6:30 m-f and the closest range down the block closes at 6:30. There’s no way to walk the dog and catch daylight hours. 

Your bay is lit ok. The field is poorly lit for tracking, photography, anything. If you're only using it at night, a photo based LM is the only option. Look at the Skytrak. Keep in mind, it's 100% unusable during the day.

We shall see. I'm not giving up just yet! I've looked into the Skytrak and MEVO+ extensively and the only thing that really held me back from buying one is the price (obviously), and that I can't use them at home because I lack the ceiling height. I'm not fully committed to building a hitting cage/ shed outside (yet). I also am not too keen on the subscription with the Skytrak to open up the sim/ analysis functionality. The SC 300 was solid but somewhat limited in its application.

Got out a bit earlier yesterday and gave it a shot again with some daylight left and the unit was much better until the light faded. Gave the unit a shot this morning with some practice balls against the house and it registered fine. It's really unfortunate that the MLM doesn't pick up in the low light conditions, or rather that there's no ability to use the normal camera instead of the front-facing one, but there's nothing I can do about that. Just glad that it was the environment, not the unit, or user error. If anyone is looking for a MLM it's now in the BST!

11 minutes ago, AcesAndHoles said:

Got out a bit earlier yesterday and gave it a shot again with some daylight left and the unit was much better until the light faded. Gave the unit a shot this morning with some practice balls against the house and it registered fine. It's really unfortunate that the MLM doesn't pick up in the low light conditions, or rather that there's no ability to use the normal camera instead of the front-facing one, but there's nothing I can do about that. Just glad that it was the environment, not the unit, or user error. If anyone is looking for a MLM it's now in the BST!

Measurements have absolutely nothing to do with the camera on your phone. It's the doppler radar that's inside the MLM that captures the ball data. The camera is just used to capture video.

15 minutes ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

Measurements have absolutely nothing to do with the camera on your phone. It's the doppler radar that's inside the MLM that captures the ball data. The camera is just used to capture video.

While I agree with you, Rapsodo does not. Apparently you need both for the machine to register and calculate the shot per customer service otherwise I'd be getting data without the video. If that were the case I'd keep the unit. I don't need to see the video, I just need the data for now.  

4 minutes ago, AcesAndHoles said:

While I agree with you, Rapsodo does not. Apparently you need both for the machine to register and calculate the shot per customer service otherwise I'd be getting data without the video. If that were the case I'd keep the unit. I don't need to see the video, I just need the data for now.  

Interesting. That I did not know, or why that is even the case? I guess it makes even more sense why it doesn't work the darker it gets since it has to rely on two inputs to calculate data. 

Yep, left me scratching my head. I was reading a bit about the new Full Swing Kit and one of the posters essentially explained that some of the LM systems will use the camera to assist in calculating launch angle and direction and the radar for the rest of the heavy lifting. 

I purchased the unit specifically to practice after work so unfortunately it’s not a fit. 

• 1 year later...

Hi I am having the exact same issue (in fact, its at the exact same driving range in New Hyde Park NY)! I am wondering if the setup of the bays has something to do with it? I havent tried at night. I was there today and ther are grey skies but its perfectly light out. It picked up 5 out of the 130 balls that i hit lol. Any help would be appreciated or i am sending it back! 

5 hours ago, sean6878 said:

Hi I am having the exact same issue (in fact, its at the exact same driving range in New Hyde Park NY)! I am wondering if the setup of the bays has something to do with it? I havent tried at night. I was there today and ther are grey skies but its perfectly light out. It picked up 5 out of the 130 balls that i hit lol. Any help would be appreciated or i am sending it back! 

I had insanely mixed results at Spring Rock. If you can sneak into the front bay it’s a touch better but it’s a teaching one. Honestly it was so frustrating that I gave up, ate the loss and sold mine. You’ll have better luck at Eisenhower but it’s no where near as convenient, cheap, or heated. 

Really unfortunate. 

happy to meet another local!