Can’t stop flipping - need some fresh ideas

Gosh this swing looks gross on video - anyone have any ideas other than “you need to rotate more” or “quit sliding”? 

WITB 2024:
Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black TR 5x
Titleist TSR2 15* Ventus Black 7x

Titleist T200 2i HZRDUS Black 4G 90x

Mizuno Pro 243 4-6 KBS Tour Lite 

Mizuno Pro 241 7-PW KBS Tour Lite 

Vokey SM8 50F KBS Tour Lite
Vokey SM9 54S, 60T KBS Tour Lite
Odyssey Jailbird 380 Microhinge

Big yikes on the slide.

Here you are at the start and then here you are at impact:
image.png.625ed997d123fb51cf95bcd488b8c50e.png

It honestly, right now, is as simple as saying, stop sliding. You need to work on keeping your base stable and your body centered over your feet. Stick some alignment rods into the ground vertically just outside your feet and then STAY inside those rods.

The flip is because your body is doing what it has to, to make contact with the ball. If you kept your hands out in front properly, with that much of a slide, you'd completely miss the ball.

Swing within your frame and other flaws can be worked on from there.

Also, get a tripod, don't rely on a friend holding the camera.

Titleist TSR2 9* - Ventus TR Red 6X

Titleist TS3 4W 16.5* - T1100 Evenflow White 6.5

W/S UT 20* - HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0

Callaway Apex '19 4-PW - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM9 49* - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM8 54/58 - PX Rifle 6.0

SINK 1992 Custom

1.Ball is way to far back in your stance. You have to release everything just to make contact. 

2. Your left knee bent at impact. This causes the excessive slide. Your left hip can’t turn out of the way. 

Watch LPGA players swing. They do a great job of posting up that left leg. Men do it to, but it’s harder to notice with them wearing pants. 

Maria Fassi:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlGL4WMjpcg

Heres a good lesson addressing the left knee issue. 

Edited by BrianMcG

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

Additional videos from range time today: 

WITB 2024:

WITB 2024:

I have worked on similar issues for the past several years and here's what has helped me get to a better impact position. #1 you want to be sure your left arm hasn't fully extended yet (meaning your right wrist still has some flex) Your clubhead is moving at the fastest position at this moment which you want to be just after the ball. I recently watched this video and it was very helpful to explain all of this to me:

Now, I realize knowing that doesn't help you at all, but you have to know where you want to be to eventually get there.

Agree with @BrianMcG the ball is too far back. Play it off your left EAR (meaning if you draw that parallel line 90 degrees down from your left ear it should hit the ball)... I didn't know this until recently but where you play the ball in your stance doesn't really matter as much.

Crazy as it may seem, the ball position being up will get you a lot of the way towards where you want to be at impact. But not all the way.... I saw a new instructor about a month ago and he described the move from the top through impact to the finish as "heart to the sky" - until this description I NEVER understood what people meant when they say "using the ground"..

Take your stance and grip the club with your left hand, put your right hand on your heart. Take it to the top of the swing and then with your right hand on your heart, before you move downwards at all, feel the "squat" everyone talks about and push off your right leg turning towards the target with your shoulders and hips at the same time. To me, it feels like a squat then a dip and a turn at the same time. That's what they mean when you hear "use the ground" is PUSH off that right foot an move left.

The club does the rest. It moves down the target line on plane pretty much on its own. If you're doing it correctly, it will initially feel like you're going to hit a ball really heavy, like 5 inches behind the ball. Once you get this motion down, do some half swings and try to take it to the real shot.

Here's what it looks like when I do it. By no means is it perfect, but I hope this helps demonstrate what I'm trying to describe above:

I think a majority of what is going on here is rooted in a setup issue. The fact that you mentioned rotation and sliding issues means you've been told that already, likely by a few people, and either you can't change it or don't understand it. IMO you aren't rotating correctly and are instead sliding to try to get power because you're out of both balance and alignment at setup. The angle is not great here but we can still clearly see the issues:

993495332_ScreenShot2021-08-23at1_46_52PM.png.711d80f2ef14652a8346e3777b7e9d66.png

The two main bits are that you appear bent over too far (shoulders well out in front of your toes) and your shoulders are much more open than your feet. There is a chance that these two problems are joining forces and creating a set of compensations preventing you from rotating correctly. 

Being bent over too far at address shifts your center of gravity forward, and if your brain decides you can't balance well in this position as you make your swing then it is going to compensate by moving your center of gravity back the only way it can in a golf stance, decreasing spine angle and/or moving the lower body more underneath you:

zHarvey85.gif.568f828974373a41fb8e4a4b5a727949.gif

Here we see throughout the entirety of your swing you are losing spine angle and hip depth. Your body basically started as a golf swing and morphed into a baseball swing in transition.  

If we compare address to impact:

zHarvey85Impact.gif.a03df60ea0bc6d57bdaef1085698421f.gifRahmFairwayWood.gif.85b9e81d129994e85e11b4a5cb5af558.gif

The angles are very different, but the positions are clear. You've radically changed all the angles you started with, which is what your brain will do to balance your body if your center of gravity is too far towards your toes at address. Notice Rahm's shoulders center much more over the balls of his feet. 

The other potential issue comes from the shoulder/feet alignment disparity. Open shoulders at address will encourage an out to in swing path, and if you attempted to correct this by dropping your right shoulder to shallow the club instead of correcting the alignment issue causing the path issue then that could also be the source of your spine angle straightening. This and the above address balance issue could be compounding each other, but regardless you need to find a more proper aligned and balanced position at address to have any hopes of maintaining your posture and angles, which will in turn allow you to rotate instead of sliding.  

Edited by Valtiel
  • Like 2

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

18 hours ago, Valtiel said:

I think a majority of what is going on here is rooted in a setup issue. The fact that you mentioned rotation and sliding issues means you've been told that already, likely by a few people, and either you can't change it or don't understand it. IMO you aren't rotating correctly and are instead sliding to try to get power because you're out of both balance and alignment at setup. The angle is not great here but we can still clearly see the issues:

993495332_ScreenShot2021-08-23at1_46_52PM.png.711d80f2ef14652a8346e3777b7e9d66.png

The two main bits are that you appear bent over too far (shoulders well out in front of your toes) and your shoulders are much more open than your feet. There is a chance that these two problems are joining forces and creating a set of compensations preventing you from rotating correctly. 

Being bent over too far at address shifts your center of gravity forward, and if your brain decides you can't balance well in this position as you make your swing then it is going to compensate by moving your center of gravity back the only way it can in a golf stance, decreasing spine angle and/or moving the lower body more underneath you:

zHarvey85.gif.568f828974373a41fb8e4a4b5a727949.gif

Here we see throughout the entirety of your swing you are losing spine angle and hip depth. Your body basically started as a golf swing and morphed into a baseball swing in transition.  

If we compare address to impact:

zHarvey85Impact.gif.a03df60ea0bc6d57bdaef1085698421f.gifRahmFairwayWood.gif.85b9e81d129994e85e11b4a5cb5af558.gif

The angles are very different, but the positions are clear. You've radically changed all the angles you started with, which is what your brain will do to balance your body if your center of gravity is too far towards your toes at address. Notice Rahm's shoulders center much more over the balls of his feet. 

The other potential issue comes from the shoulder/feet alignment disparity. Open shoulders at address will encourage an out to in swing path, and if you attempted to correct this by dropping your right shoulder to shallow the club instead of correcting the alignment issue causing the path issue then that could also be the source of your spine angle straightening. This and the above address balance issue could be compounding each other, but regardless you need to find a more proper aligned and balanced position at address to have any hopes of maintaining your posture and angles, which will in turn allow you to rotate instead of sliding.  

Thanks for this! Very informative info and tips! I'll give it a shot later this week. 

• Like 1

WITB 2024:

17 hours ago, zharvey85 said:

Thanks for this! Very informative info and tips! I'll give it a shot later this week. 

You're welcome, keep us posted!

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant