MEMBER REVIEWS: Callaway Apex UW Fairway Wood! See What Members Are Saying!

809719845_CallawayApexWoodREVIEWS.png.175b538671179c4742e3a05c9265a994.png

We have three members testing out the new Callaway Apex UW fairway! The members below will be reporting back to the community about the things that they have noticed while testing out this wood. Please feel free to ask any questions that you might have, as the testers will be happy to answer them! The testers are:

@bruinmw

@My2Dogs

@Qwiklap

Special thank you goes out to @Callaway Golf Officialfor putting on this member testing event!

• Like 1

Guess I'll get this started. First off, I want to thank GolfWRX and Callaway Golf for this opportunity. I definitely was not expecting to win this opportunity, but am definitely grateful and thankful to be chosen.

To be upfront, I had already picked up a UW 19* with the stock x-stiff 80g hzrdus smoke black rdx, so I guess I have a bit of a head start on testing this clubhead.  I was fully intrigued when this club was introduced, and wanted to test this against my gamer in this slot, a Taylormade SIM Max hybrid 20* with GD Tour AD DI 85x. I hit the SIM Max Hybrid well, both off the tee and off the ground, and get about 210-220 yards off it.  So the UW has it's work cut out to beat this out of the bag.  The stock x stiff hzrdus smoke black feels very heavy when I swing it. I need to figure out the swing weight, and I'm guessing I need to adjust the head weight to get it down to a more manageable swing weight. Currently it feels like a bit of a sledgehammer coming down into impact.  

My game: 49 yr old, index hovering anywhere from 4-5. Driver swing speed is between about 105 to 110 depending on how hard I go after it.  I play for a carry distance of about 170-175 with the 6 iron.  Preferred shot shape is a cut, and prefer to look at a neutral to slightly open club face. 

The Club/Looks: I received the 19* head with the stock 70g hzrdus smoke black rdx in stiff flex.  Club head sits square to my eye. It has a great shape and confidence inspiring look at address behind the ball.  I can tell the swingweight is a little lighter with the stiff 70g shaft and look forward to seeing how it performs on the course, and compare it to the stock 80g x stiff.

Impressions of the UW so far after a couple of rounds and range sessions (basing this off my current UW with x stiff 80g shaft). Love the ball flight off the club. Ball flies higher than the sim max hybrid, and comes down on a steeper descent angle.  Feel like this will be a great club to attack par 5's, as the landing angle will hopefully hold more greens. On the range, for me, it's a very straight to slight cut ball flight. Exactly what I want to see. Definitely straighter than my SIM Max hybrid. 

On the course, off the deck, again, this club just wants to go straight.  I can hit a cut with it as well.  As I don't hit a draw with any of my clubs, it hasn't gone left on me at all.  Definitely what I want to see.  So far, I'm seeing about 210-215 yards off the deck. Off the tee, seeing about 220-225 yds.  Ball doesn't seem to be carrying right now, as my rounds have been early mornings with temps in the 50's.  Will be fun to see how far this club carries when the temps pick up in the spring and summer.  I have noticed I have to tee the ball very close to the ground. Otherwise I tend to hit soft pop ups, losing about 10-15 yards from off the deck.  The sound is a pleasant sound, and when hit solid, isn't too loud. The ball definitely feels like it jumps off the face. The ball is easy to launch up in the air, and so far, have found it works best with a slight descending blow to the ball. 

Will continue to update my testing and thoughts as I get more rounds and range time in with the stiff shaft to see how it compares.  Like all other clubs, I have a feeling I'll need to dial in the shaft, but so far the club head feels like a winner, and is on it's way to earn a seat in the bag for the upcoming year.  

IMG_2484.jpeg

IMG_2480.jpeg

• Like 4

Titleist TSR3 9* Diamana ZF 60s
Titleist TSR3 15* Diamana ZF 70s

Callaway Paradym 3D 18* Kaili White 70s

Titleist TSR3 24* Atmos Blue 8s
Srixon ZX7 Project X LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX6 46,50,54,58 
Betti SS3 or Betti BB46 or Betti BB Proto

Good eve WRX,

I just wanted to say thank you to WRX and Callaway.  This was a total shock and always try and to get the notification was a completely unexpected.

I’ve been looking at the UW ever since they came out and I have almost purchased one a half dozen times.  I do have just about every fw and hybrid out as I’ve been trying to get my game back after a number of surgeries.  Some of you know my past but it’s been 2-4 surgeries every year for the past 11 years to recover from some bad health issues and I’ve got a ton of built of scar tissue all over.  Each time I have surgery I have to refix my swing and it seems from Nov 2020 until now the 5 surgeries have been difficult to get my game back.  I used to be able to hit fairway woods off the deck easy and the 3 wood was one of the best clubs in my bag.

that has completely changed and I struggle with shots off the deck and the last few years I’ve used hybrids to assist for long par 4’s, recovery and 2nd shots into par 5’s.  I just don’t have confidence with a fw off the deck.

I used to be close to a scratch and depending on the part of the year and if I’ve had a medical issue I can shoot anywhere from a 72 to 88.  From about March 2021 I was shooting regularly in the mid 70’s and then after my Aug and then Oct surgeries I was shooting high 80’s.  Worked very hard since Oct’s surgery to try and find my swing.  I usually look for my hybrid to be my go to club from around 220-230 off the deck and around 235-240 off the tee. I usually carry it around 220 off the deck and 225 off the tee.  everything depends on how hard the course is playing 

I was playing the original Sim hybrid last year and towards the end of the year switched to the Callaway Super Hybrid.  I also had the Sim 5 wood but never played it as the face seemed big to me and I didn’t have confidence in it unless it was a tee shot.  In Sept of this year I switched to the Epic Super hybrid and really enjoyed the forgiveness but it did look larger off the deck than I was used to and sometimes I would just top it.  That was my miss with fw’s and larger hybrid heads off the deck.  I’ll get some comparison picks up later between the Apex UW and the Super hybrid, Apex Super hybrid, Sim 5 wood, Sim2 5 wood and PXG Gen4 5 wood.

my wife told me yesterday I had a box waiting for me at home from work.  I didn’t put 2 and 2 together and was struggling to think of what arrived as I knew I hadn’t made a purchase that I was not tracking so I could intercept it before she saw it 😂.  

I ended up getting the Apex UW in a 19* with the 70g Hzrdus RDX Smoke black in a stiff flex.  I usually play an X flex but we we told to just pick standard shafts and either stiff or regular due to possible delays.  First impressions is that it looks very clean from the top down angle.  I anticipated it looking larger than a normal hybrid from other reviews but was pleasantly surprised.  It could be I’m used to the Super hybrid and Apex Super hybrid so maybe it didn’t look as large at first.  It has a more shallow face than the Epic Super hybrid, which I like in fw’s and it gave me confidence to be able to hit if off the deck.  Looking down it doesn’t look closed but sits pretty square or slightly open to my eye.  I know a lot oF players hate hybrids due to having a left tendency and I’m the same.  No issues with how it sits behind the ball.  

I took it out today for its maiden voyage at a course I’m used to.  It was cold and we had a frost delay.  It has been raining for the past 5 days as we have had lots of storms roll through.  Today and tomorrow would be the only time to play as we have another round of storms coming in Sunday and it’s supposed to rain everyday through the end of the year.  Todays high was 44*.  I got out around 11 am and it was 40* in the Sun and just a light breeze but in the shadows it felt much colder.  You could see your breath at all times.  Only played 9 holes.

Warm up with a quick small bucket and I hit a couple shots off the deck from the mats.  First impression was the turf interaction was very nice.  I’m a sweeper/picker of the ball and the Apex UW felt easy to hit and looking down at the ball it didn’t look too small or large, looked slightly open sitting on the mat.  Teed it up and hit a few more and it was more of the same.  Nice easy swing and nice little draw.  I did try and hit a cut (not my normal shot) and could do so pretty easily.  Put it down on the hard ground to test and again it was really easy to hit. Ball didn’t balloon and stayed a nice mid penetrating flight.  Well we all are Ranger Ricks as Tiger would say and the course would be the test.  Used it 5 times on the course.  I did have 1 top and it was totally my fault.  Wanted to see where it went before I even hit it as I had a chance to get to a par 5 in 2.  The top at least went dead straight 😜.  Hit 2 off the tee on shorter par 4’s and played a nice baby draw.  Outhit my friends driver but I’m usually longer than he is anyway but that surprised me as he played up a tee box due to the cold and the ball going nowhere.  I have a much higher ball flight and once the frost delay was over the course was very muddy.  So he struggled today with distance.  Both of my shots off the tee were around 210 carry which wasn’t bad for the cold and both basically rolled a couple feet with lots of mud.  We played the ball up in the fw and cleaned them due to the mud.  I did hit it 3 other times off the deck.  1 as I stated earlier was a top, the other 2 were going for a par 5 in 2 (210 in but drew the ball more than I wanted but was flag high) and the last was a recovery shot as I pulled my driver into the junk and had to punch it out.  Usually I would have just hit a wedge but I wanted to see how the UW would perform out of thick grass and mud.  Worked very well, came out really easy and the UW glided through the wet grass.

overall I’m very impressed with the UW and I think with some more practice it will certainly replace both the Apex Super hybrid and Sim2 5 wood out of the bag.  I do think I will have to change out to an X flex later but for todays weather I was trying to hit everything smooth.  A couple of irons shots really stung the hands.  I’ve got “tennis elbow” pretty bad in my right arm.  Didn’t want that pain on every shot so I was smoothing my swings, going up a club on each shot.  

Once the weather clears up I will test a lot more at a multitude of course and report back.  So far so good.

F7ECC2AA-2043-4F46-9802-F7D672DAEAEA.jpeg

C2E2DA31-F24D-43F9-AC01-F0F4FC6C618D.jpeg

52D34AA8-EB5E-447F-AEAB-B390A183C84F.jpeg

316EC747-1535-4F85-A8E1-B4DC3C4293BA.jpeg

E72653AF-FFC8-461D-8D31-2B104DCCC340.jpeg

E5B6DBDE-2523-40ED-8FDF-44FA088FBCE6.jpeg

24E13A7B-B20F-40F6-9764-1BD2050984BB.jpeg

• Like 1

PXG Black Ops Tour-1 9* Proxima 6X

Callaway Ai Smoke TD Mini Driver 13.5*- Ventus TR Blue 7TX

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

Update with round over the weekend. Gamed the 70g stiff over the 80g xstiff.  Round started with temps in the low 40's and finished around 60, so ball carry distance is down. Total weight with the 70g shaft was more agreeable to my swing. Jury still out on the stiff shaft vs xstiff. Hit the stiff flex decent. Twice off the tee, same swing, but one resulted in a spinny, ballooning shot with a distance loss of about 20 yards. Hit off the deck 5 times, and resulted in 195-210, based off gps measurement of my skycaddy.  All shots resulted in a cut shot shape. Couldn't keep the ball straight. Not sure if this shot shape is a result of the stiff vs xstiff shaft.  The xstiff definitely has a straighter ball flight for me.  I feel like this head is a true gem, and now will continue to fine tune the setup.  

I also let my buddy hit the UW. Swung it about 5-6 times on various holes. Everything was dead straight for him, and got about 200-210 yards with each swing. He was ready to take the club on the spot and put it in his bag.  So, a definite ringing endoorsement from him, in my opinion.  

Will continue to update as I get more rounds and range time in.  

Anyone finding this has a very forward cog.

And hence difficult to hit high/properly without a lot of loft and swing speed?

Ping G430 Max - Accra Fx3.0 140-M0 / VA Nemesys 6-S

Mizuno ST-Max 3W - LIN-Q M40X Red 5F3

Ping G430 7W - AD-DI 7-S 
Cobra King Tour 4-PW - Modus 105-S
Cleveland RTX6 50 / 54 - DG spinner / 60 - Oban CT 125-S
PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack 

12 hours ago, Morry said:

Haven't noticed that. I feel like there's a lot of weight down low, so the ball launches pretty easily and gets up in the air. I noticed with a more descending blow, it launches even higher, and really jumps off the face.  I'm finding it's a very forgiving club distancewise. My off center hits are seeing very slight distance loss, so in that regard, this clubhead is proving very forgiving for me.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 7:53 PM, Morry said:

The only time I was able to hit it so far due to weather, I didn’t see any issues launching it up.  It might have been a little lower but everything that day was lower because of how cold it was.  As bruinmw stated the weight is low and that seemed to help me get through the turf easier.  

LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

Wanted to throw it out there that I haven’t switched my signature yet because I haven’t hit it enough to really test it out.  The weather has been terrible and it shows more storms for the next few weeks.  I’m hopeful that the weather gives me enough of a break to really give this a good test soon.  I am very thankful to have be selected and cannot thank Callaway or WRX enough but we were selected to give an honest review and input of how the club performs.  Once the weather gets better I will test and post more here and if it outperforms what I have currently have, I will add it to the bag and signature.   

• Like 1

PXG Hybrid stand bag

Well we got a break in between storms and so I went out to the range to hit the UW to provide some more feedback.  

temp 48* and wind about 10mph behind and across right to left.  Off the mats today and on a good strike I was carrying it to the 230 flag.  Swing felt a little better today and so I was able to swing a little faster.  Head felt really good and launch was not an issue.  I could hit it high or a medium flight without any worries of ballooning it. The only issue I had was that I was hitting more of a draw than I wanted.  I do attribute that more to the weight and flex of the shaft.  I usually play an X flex and because they didn’t want to delay these shipping out to the winners, they asked us to pick just a stock set up.  I got a 70g stiff flex RDX Smoke Black.  For comparison purposes I play an X flex GOST 100G in the original Sim Max 19*, Ventus Red 9X in the 5 wood, Ventus Black 9X in the Sim2 Rescue and Tour AD DI 95X in the Callaway Apex Super hybrid.

I put the ball on a wooden tee just above the ground and was getting a nice high launch and carry was about 240.  All with range balls and again wind behind and across (right to left).  I slowed down my tempo and swing a little and then I was hitting nice high towering straight shots.  When I tried to go after it and load it at the top is when I was hitting a big draw.  I think once I can get a Ventus Red 8X or TX or 9X or 9TX that this will really come alive for me.  

for reference my driver swing speed is around 112-114 when my back feels good and when it’s tight it’s about 106-108.  Also when my back is tight I have a tendency to come over the top a little and did have a couple heel shots today when I tried to go after it.  Head held up nice and was pretty forgiving when hitting near the heel and distance loss is expected as it came out with a fade. Toe strikes were about the same but more draw flight to them but nothing crazy.  

I have put some comparison photos of the Sim Max, Sim2 Rescue, Sim2 5 wood and Callaway Apex Super Hyrbid.  All at 19* (Super hybrid is 18* lofted up to 19*).  I also included some face on shots to show the comparison shots of each vs the UW.  The UW is a lot like a shallow face 5 wood in shape and appearance but not as deep or as boxy as some hybrids near the toe.  More of a traditional FW in appearance.  Also not as tall as the Callaway Apex Super hybrid.  Really inspires confidence when you put the head behind the ball.  

the Callaway Apex UW is always on the left in both address and face on photos.

in order of comparison photos.

UW and Sim Max

UW and Sim2 Rescue

UW and Sim 2 5 wood

UW and Apex Super Hybrid.

also added a photo of the head at address with a range ball.

if you struggle with shots off the deck or mis hits I would def recommend the UW.  Very easy to hit off the deck and glides through the rough.  

if you want any other comparison photos let me know as I’ve probably got the other club.  😂

BC4FE8DB-D911-4C9A-913F-3245C7DFCE80.jpeg

C8F988B8-4C81-4DBA-8398-D1C847277869.jpeg

FACCA0A1-23C3-4095-9FAC-D2A7FAE60CA9.jpeg

F74E7F4B-088D-4AAE-A5A4-0DF5B6E1DBBE.jpeg

853698B8-4DB5-4B4B-A91B-F70BF1D6F26C.jpeg

E3E6C480-D373-475D-BDA2-C41B2F3C64A5.jpeg

1C803BA2-0EC6-45E0-96A1-7092A7A958F6.jpeg

B7AC07C2-A12C-4EE3-A63F-77706E18B1F0.jpeg

D5C57C3E-12A8-4498-975C-25E757C8EC6F.jpeg

• Like 3

PXG Hybrid stand bag

Hey all -- I am the third tester, and sorry for not posting before. 

I tore a medial meniscus in my left (front) knee on December 10th -- and that has had my sidelined.  I am still trying to figure out if I will be able to properly participate in the test.  I just wanted to let everyone know that I was not just ghosting the review. 

I will at least take some pics of the club next to my gamer 3w (a SIM Ti) and 3hy (a Cobra F7).  The F7 has been a great club for me -- but over time, as my swing and game have developed, I find that he it wants to hook/overdraw -- and I am hoping the UW will be a more neutral alternative (while still giving me good launch and pickup). 

Titleist TSR2 9* w/ Fujikura Speeder Evo II 661 X (with 20g weight in butt)

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5* w/ Graphite Design AD-DI 7S

Titleist TSR3 18* w/ Graphite Design AD-IZ 8S

Titleist u505 3i 20* w/ Graphite Design AD-IZ 9S

Srixon ZX4 MkII w/ Project X LZ 6.0 5-PW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50@49* - Taylormade MG4 56* and 60*

LAB Golf Mezz Max Broom 79.5* lie, 45" or one of my Armlocks

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV or Maxfli Tour X

We have had just terrible weather and I was looking forward to being able to finally take the UW out and hit it on the course and not just the range as that’s all I’ve been able to do with the storms that have been rolling in.

weather today was cold and windy.  High was 44* and tee off temp was 38*.

As I stated before, I struggle with fw woods off the deck.  I seem to either top or chunk them. It’s a confidence issue as I hit them well on the range but out on the course I just know I’m not going to strike the ball solid.

the UW so far has changed that for me.  Hit it twice off the tee on shorter par 4’s and 2 times off the deck.  Both times I’ve been able to get out on the course the UW has really giving me confidence to be able to go after par 5’s without a driving iron or hybrid.  Those were my go to clubs as I have all but given up on hitting shots off the deck with fairway woods. 

The head is very solid and I really like the feel when you hit it solid.  Even toe shots felt good and not terrible.  The issue is the 70g stiff shaft for me as today all 4 were draws for me.  One was a very big draw and I was lucky to not be OB.  All were long and did not spin up and that helped a lot as the wind was up.

I purchased a Ventus Red 8X tipped and will have it installed early next week.  So the next time I post a review I will be able to see how this performs with a heavier, stiffer shaft that I usually play with in hybrids and 5 woods.  Here are a couple photos on the course today.

BCEBD703-B150-440A-A773-685169B76835.jpeg

638CBA88-F6D9-4532-8812-9671B9486FD4.jpeg

• Like 1

PXG Hybrid stand bag

I took the UW out yesterday to play in a tournament. I figured putting myself under the fire would really give a good update as to how it performs.  

played a course I have not played in 12+ years.  Haggin Oaks Mackenzie 18.  Greens were really quick, fairways were muddy and provided no roll and we had dense fog and cold air through the entire round. 

off the tee this clubs shines.  Now I did replace the standard 70g stiff shaft with a Ventus Red 8X tipped. It really helped me with the extra weight and stiffness to be able to go after this with a control hard swing and not try and hit it soft.  It’s a flat out beast off the tee.  I was hitting it by my buddies 3 wood by 10-15 yards.  Only had 3 holes I could use it off the tee due to a creek or other hazard we had to lay up short of.  So solid and nice thwack feeling odd the face.  

Now off the deck is where I struggle with FW’s and I had a good and bad shot with it off the deck.  The bad was a fat shot off the thick mud.  The good shot was almost getting to a par 5 in 2 (510) back into the wind.  Off Matt’s I’m actually hitting it well off the deck.  I think it’s the wet, muddy conditions that are causing some of the bad shots as my feet are moving a bit and of course I have adrenaline due to the tournament.  Overall this baby is solid.  I do think this will replace my Sim2 5 wood permanently.   Still a work in progress but so far with the new shaft I’m loving it.  BTW- yesterday tournament was the first time I hit it since I’ve changed the shaft.  So a little more time to get used to it should also help the off the deck shots. 

Edited by My2Dogs
  • Like 1

PXG Hybrid stand bag

6 hours ago, My2Dogs said:

I took the UW out yesterday to play in a tournament. I figured putting myself under the fire would really give a good update as to how it performs.  

played a course I have not played in 12+ years.  Haggin Oaks Mackenzie 18.  Greens were really quick, fairways were muddy and provided no roll and we had dense fog and cold air through the entire round. 

off the tee this clubs shines.  Now I did replace the standard 70g stiff shaft with a Ventus Red 8X tipped. It really helped me with the extra weight and stiffness to be able to go after this with a control hard swing and not try and hit it soft.  It’s a flat out beast off the tee.  I was hitting it by my buddies 3 wood by 10-15 yards.  Only had 3 holes I could use it off the tee due to a creek or other hazard we had to lay up short of.  So solid and nice thwack feeling odd the face.  

Now off the deck is where I struggle with FW’s and I had a good and bad shot with it off the deck.  The bad was a fat shot off the thick mud.  The good shot was almost getting to a par 5 in 2 (510) back into the wind.  Off Matt’s I’m actually hitting it well off the deck.  I thick it’s the wet, muddy conditions that are chasing some of the bad shots as my feet are moving a bit and of course I have adrenaline due to the tournament.  Overall this baby is solid.  I do think this will replace my Sim2 5 wood permanently.   Still a work in progress but so far with the new shaft I’m loving it.  BTW- yesterday tournament was the first time I hit it since I’ve changed the shaft.  So a little more time to get used to it should also help the off the deck shots. 

Thanks for the feedback…quick question…where did you find the ventus red in 8X?  Wanting the same setup…thanks  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fairways_and_sneaker said:

Thanks for the feedback…quick question…where did you find the ventus red in 8X?  Wanting the same setup…thanks  

Actually from a member here.  I was looking for one for a while and finally just put a WTB add up and got a few messages back.  

• Like 1

PXG Hybrid stand bag

On 12/24/2021 at 7:20 PM, My2Dogs said:

Well we got a break in between storms and so I went out to the range to hit the UW to provide some more feedback.  

temp 48* and wind about 10mph behind and across right to left.  Off the mats today and on a good strike I was carrying it to the 230 flag.  Swing felt a little better today and so I was able to swing a little faster.  Head felt really good and launch was not an issue.  I could hit it high or a medium flight without any worries of ballooning it. The only issue I had was that I was hitting more of a draw than I wanted.  I do attribute that more to the weight and flex of the shaft.  I usually play an X flex and because they didn’t want to delay these shipping out to the winners, they asked us to pick just a stock set up.  I got a 70g stiff flex RDX Smoke Black.  For comparison purposes I play an X flex GOST 100G in the original Sim Max 19*, Ventus Red 9X in the 5 wood, Ventus Black 9X in the Sim2 Rescue and Tour AD DI 95X in the Callaway Apex Super hybrid.

I put the ball on a wooden tee just above the ground and was getting a nice high launch and carry was about 240.  All with range balls and again wind behind and across (right to left).  I slowed down my tempo and swing a little and then I was hitting nice high towering straight shots.  When I tried to go after it and load it at the top is when I was hitting a big draw.  I think once I can get a Ventus Red 8X or TX or 9X or 9TX that this will really come alive for me.  

for reference my driver swing speed is around 112-114 when my back feels good and when it’s tight it’s about 106-108.  Also when my back is tight I have a tendency to come over the top a little and did have a couple heel shots today when I tried to go after it.  Head held up nice and was pretty forgiving when hitting near the heel and distance loss is expected as it came out with a fade. Toe strikes were about the same but more draw flight to them but nothing crazy.  

I have put some comparison photos of the Sim Max, Sim2 Rescue, Sim2 5 wood and Callaway Apex Super Hyrbid.  All at 19* (Super hybrid is 18* lofted up to 19*).  I also included some face on shots to show the comparison shots of each vs the UW.  The UW is a lot like a shallow face 5 wood in shape and appearance but not as deep or as boxy as some hybrids near the toe.  More of a traditional FW in appearance.  Also not as tall as the Callaway Apex Super hybrid.  Really inspires confidence when you put the head behind the ball.  

the Callaway Apex UW is always on the left in both address and face on photos.

in order of comparison photos.

UW and Sim Max

UW and Sim2 Rescue

UW and Sim 2 5 wood

UW and Apex Super Hybrid.

also added a photo of the head at address with a range ball.

if you struggle with shots off the deck or mis hits I would def recommend the UW.  Very easy to hit off the deck and glides through the rough.  

if you want any other comparison photos let me know as I’ve probably got the other club.  😂

BC4FE8DB-D911-4C9A-913F-3245C7DFCE80.jpeg

C8F988B8-4C81-4DBA-8398-D1C847277869.jpeg

FACCA0A1-23C3-4095-9FAC-D2A7FAE60CA9.jpeg

F74E7F4B-088D-4AAE-A5A4-0DF5B6E1DBBE.jpeg

853698B8-4DB5-4B4B-A91B-F70BF1D6F26C.jpeg

E3E6C480-D373-475D-BDA2-C41B2F3C64A5.jpeg

1C803BA2-0EC6-45E0-96A1-7092A7A958F6.jpeg

B7AC07C2-A12C-4EE3-A63F-77706E18B1F0.jpeg

D5C57C3E-12A8-4498-975C-25E757C8EC6F.jpeg

This is a perfect pic at address. Thxs! 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 MCA MMT 80X @ 45.5”

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Mini 340 Shaft TBD @ 43.75”

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Cleveland RTX Full Face 2 58/8 DG Spinner

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5S 34” (Yes the Rife Phenom.Z 34” of 10+ years may be retired) 

A couple of range sessions and rounds in the last week. Was able to hit this on a simulator, and was getting a consistent 210-215 carry on smooth swings. Also able to go harder at it and distance jumps to 230-240 with rollout.  On the course, still seeing a consistently straight ball flight. Have had some swings out of rough, and with deeper lies, the ball wants to jump straight up and out.  The sole gets through the rough easily.  Still feel like the stock RDX is not quite the right shaft for my swing, so will probably look into a reshaft soon. Have been comparing the UW to my SIM Max hybrid, and want to say I still prefer the SIM hybrid off the tee.  Just a comfort level at this point as the SIM hybrid has been in the bag for a couple of years now.  Will continue to test and really looking forward to playing this when the weather warms up. 

• 2 months later...

Hey all -- better late than never.  Right after I got selected to participate, I suffered a torn medial meniscus in my left knee (lead leg).  It was painful to go after the ball.  As such, I was not able to really play much (or complete my review duties) until surgery and rehab were complete.  Surgery was on Feb 3, and I have been rehabbing since.   And I am back - and better than ever now.

The UW arrived in December, and I want to give a big thanks to Callaway and GolfWRX. 

The unboxing has been covered by others, but the club is a very nice to look at, and sets up well.  I have the 19* with a stock Hzrdus Smoke RDX 80g 6.0 shaft.  My grip is the Lamkin UTx (Callaway OEM).  It does seem like the grip does not have cords.  I know that Lamkin does a cord free UTx for certain OEM applications.  The retail corded UTx is my preferred grip (in standard size).

One criticism of the club build quality is that the ferrule is not well seated.  There is a noticeable gap from the club head collar to the ferrule.  I friend had the same club with a Graphite Design shaft (I don't know if the factory or the fitter did the build), but the ferrule was very well seated, with almost no gap.  It is not a ferrule turning issue, but more of a not really seated properly issue.  That said -- it's nothing that impacts play.  And I actually prefer the stock shaft to the boardy feeling of my friend's Tour AD TP-8x. 

The club sets up very nicely and I have been able to hit some really nice shots with high ball flight (that still penetrates).  Last week I hit the shot of the round in our school PTO fundraising scramble.  On a 525 yard par-5, my drive hand trundled into a fairway bunker with 240 left to the center of the green (230 front).  It was the best, and longest drive we had.  But there was a considerable lip. The lie was flat and perfect since I was able to put the ball in my hand. 

One of my teammates hit a safe layup, so I was free to give it rip from the bunker with the UW.  I set up with the ball forward in the stance, and launched it.  It cleared the lip no problem, flew high and with a gentle draw to the middle of the front apron (just off the green).  Carrying 220ish and rolling out to greenside front (it landed pretty soft).  I was a ballsy shot, and I was so happy it came off (we birdied the hole).  I know that my 3w would not have cleared the lip -- and my 4hy would have been well short. 

The club lives up to its name as a "utility" wood.  And I think being able to hit it from a fairway bunker on a Par 5 is the epitome of utility. 

Pictures upcoming comparing the club to my 3w and 4hy.  As well as some from the action it has seen on the course.

58378250-80DA-4738-B415-BEB81CE3F027.jpeg.61e7f082c1ace96e06f9f76c7fb51c71.jpegF877E66E-DD41-4C2D-B833-481AD93F51A2.jpeg.d14f500e7cf4e10c51a504625da56dc9.jpegAB526593-63D1-439D-92EF-B104DD9EE7D2.jpeg.b4473cc6dff5ede0c3890f5d6561cb59.jpegA5172CCA-A3B1-4685-BCA6-7EE3CAEC23E4.jpeg.a836294fa992b4f099b6b7031dbd11a3.jpegE6F3B1DF-5936-4A58-B5DE-004CDDA0C4AC.jpeg.0c4df455a13e7cf9f3e75b84bc524123.jpeg

D432819F-02F9-4A93-A8C1-71AD022E31AB.jpeg

E1F202B4-62E8-4817-AE0A-FF6C63A7F36E.jpeg

Edited by Qwiklap

The Apex UW looks great and has my interest, I was just about to purchase a Titleist TSi2 18 degree hybrid so has anyine hit both as I would love to hear how they compare, any compirison pictures between the two would also be much appreciated.

I intend to use the club mostly off the tee on short par 4s but also for approaches into par 5s.

Along with the Rogue St Ls 3 wood, the 19* UW is the surprise addition to my current bag. Absolute cannon. And I don't normally get along with HZRDUS shaft. Long and straight.

• Like 1

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2022 at 1:11 AM, Ed Settle said:

Along with the Rogue St Ls 3 wood, the 19* UW is the surprise addition to my current bag. Absolute cannon. And I don't normally get along with HZRDUS shaft. Long and straight.

I am with you - I have really come to love this club.  I blew a drive right at Grayhawk raptor (big weak banana -- which is unusual for me).  I was 215 (225 pin) to the front, and in the rough.  The UW to the rescue.  Carried to the apron, and rolled through the green -- but got up and down for par.  I am not a super long hitter -- so having that 200+ green finder from the rough (or sand) is amazing).

I just have so much confidence in this club.  And I also love the stock Hzrdus shaft.  It seems to just work great!

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

Just a follow up on my UW experience.  I was in a fairway bunker at Grayhawk again after a short duck hook off the tee.  I was able to use the UW to elevate another long 210+ carry shot out of the sand.  Got it to the front apron, giving me a great opportunity for an up and down par (which I didn't execute -- but it was not the UWs fault).  Again -- this club is very versatile and trustworthy, and seems to elevate the ball a lot of faster than my 3 wood or utility iron.  Again, great club ... no chance it comes out of the bag. 

Edited by Qwiklap
  • Like 1