STROKES GAINED SPREADSHEET. FREE AND EASY TO USE.

do you just make a new copy of the master sheet for each round then? How do you handle Par 3's?

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

4 minutes ago, bellgolf said:

Yes.  I make a new sheet, name it The course and date, and keep it for my record.

Par 3s your distance from the pin goes in this box.

Capture.PNG

Thanks, Ill give this a try.

Tried it. Gave up after two holes. Just to cumbersome to do on the course. Maybe I’ll try again if I do the Grint on my watch instead. 

7 hours ago, Rbsiedsc said:

Tried it. Gave up after two holes. Just to cumbersome to do on the course. Maybe I’ll try again if I do the Grint on my watch instead. 

It definitely is not ideal inputting into a sheet from a phone.  Is it just too cumbersome keeping track of each yardage and lie the whole round, or is it too hard to navigate?

1 hour ago, bellgolf said:

It definitely is not ideal inputting into a sheet from a phone.  Is it just too cumbersome keeping track of each yardage and lie the whole round, or is it too hard to navigate?

I just setup wrong. Should have had the Grint going on my watch and the sheet on my phone. Then I could input by just writing down what I saw on my watch

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Looks like the summary of strokes gained across Driver, Approach, Short, and Putt is missing. Only seeing the individual SG per shot per hole on each row. 

I added up all the SG per shot per hole numbers. That appears to equal the "Pro" at the top of the sheet. Must have done something wrong?

Edited by xfaktur

• 5 months later...

@bellgolf thanks for sharing this spreadsheet! I am using it for the first time for my round yesterday (using Google Maps + my memory for approach shot yardages).

A couple of questions:

1) After I enter the round, should I use the table at the top (C6:G13) to understand my round's SG against different levels?

2) How do you enter a 3-putt?

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 9* |  Ventus Blue Velo 6S

TaylorMade Stealth+ 3W   | Ventus Blue Velo 7S

Titleist TSR3 5W | Graphite Design AD-IZ 8S

Titleist TSR2 4H  |  Graphite Design AD-DI 85S

Titleist T150 5 - GW | Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105X

TaylorMade MG3 54*  58* | Dynamic Gold S400

TaylorMade Spider GT Notchback

Titleist Pro V1 | Srixon Z-Star Diamond

Absolutely!  Glad you are enjoying it!

I usually put all the approach and putting yardages on the scorecard right after I hit it, then input at the end of the round.

1)  Yes that table is to see SG against the handicaps stated in column C.

2) I don't know, I never 3 putt.  JK.  I do it all the time.  I actually 4 putted my last round.  Attached is how I do it.  This goes for two chips in a hole, duffs, tops, stuff like that if there is no designated cell.  You just add how many in the Penalty Cell.  So in this example, I hit a putt from 39, 8, 4, and 1.  I put 39 and 8 to see how many strokes I lost in my lag putt.  Then I added a "2" because I hit two more putts, and their exact distances are not important, but I still get the correct SG in the chart.

Capture.PNG

• Thanks 1

On 10/17/2022 at 10:18 AM, xfaktur said:

Looks like the summary of strokes gained across Driver, Approach, Short, and Putt is missing. Only seeing the individual SG per shot per hole on each row. 

I added up all the SG per shot per hole numbers. That appears to equal the "Pro" at the top of the sheet. Must have done something wrong?

Sorry I didn't see this.  The "Pro" row is showing your strokes gained against a Tour Pro for the round.  The Chart calculates your SG per stroke against a pro, then has built in adjustments for the average of each handicap per round compared to a pro.

On 6/26/2022 at 3:22 PM, Jeff79 said:

Thanks for providing this. Looks like it could be very useful. One suggestion: In the "How to Use" tab, it looks like the cells from W7:Z8 will show the total strokes gained in each category for the entire round. It would be ideal if you could add a similar set of cells to the "Master" tab. 

Hey sorry I didn't see this.  That is included in the Master in cells C2-G9

I’m going to start entering my rounds into the spreadsheet regularly. It only took 10 minutes, which is less than I expected.

Can someone explain how to think about Strokes Gained results across multiple rounds or a season?

Should I look at SG cumulatively (add or average SG?) or focus on the trend from round to round?

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 9* |  Ventus Blue Velo 6S

TaylorMade Stealth+ 3W   | Ventus Blue Velo 7S

Titleist TSR3 5W | Graphite Design AD-IZ 8S

Titleist TSR2 4H  |  Graphite Design AD-DI 85S

Titleist T150 5 - GW | Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105X

TaylorMade MG3 54*  58* | Dynamic Gold S400

TaylorMade Spider GT Notchback

Titleist Pro V1 | Srixon Z-Star Diamond

1414432883_Screenshot2023-04-11184722.png.113e970f46a631e83ebd44736c134f91.png

3 hours ago, zap311 said:

I’m going to start entering my rounds into the spreadsheet regularly. It only took 10 minutes, which is less than I expected.

Can someone explain how to think about Strokes Gained results across multiple rounds or a season?

Should I look at SG cumulatively (add or average SG?) or focus on the trend from round to round?

If you have the info on your scorecard it's an absolute cake walk which is why I still prefer it over other options I've used.

I use it for a couple different things.

1)  When I leave the course, often times I have an idea of how poorly I drove the ball, or putted.  This gives you data that gives you a real answer if you really did poorly, or that was just your perception.

2) After a couple rounds you should see a pattern of one area of your game that is lacking compared to your handicap peer group.  It gives you an idea of what to focus on.  

3) It shows you just how bad certain shots are.  For example in the pic below.  Knowing that hitting a drive 260 in the fairway is a good shot, nearly no SG loss.  Missing the green from 150 to 25 yards in the rough is nearly a half shot loss.  Chipping to 13 feet from 25 yards may not feel amazing, but it actually gained strokes.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hoping someone can help me with the spreadsheet. On both the How to Use sheet and whenever I try to input my own rounds, the total strokes gained for the round in the top table never autofill. It just continues showing the #VALUE! error. 

I can see the strokes gained for each individual shot on each hole just fine, but the round totals at the is just all errors. Any tips?

Thanks

On 4/11/2023 at 5:29 PM, zap311 said:

Generally, to combine rounds you'll want to average rather than add. It isn't absolutely necessary but conceptually Strokes Gained is fundamentally a "strokes gained per round" concept.

I think trends are interesting but round-to-round they bounce about too much. Probably best to average over a month at a time (or maybe a week at a time if you play more often than 2-3 times a week) and compare month to month trends over a longer period of time.

Or if you're making changes in your swing or equipment it can makes sense to average a good number of rounds (10 or more maybe?) before the change and do the same after the change. 

Depending on how good you are with Excel charts, in my opinion the most interesting to plot rolling averages using a window of something like 8 or 10 rounds, possibly a weighted rolling average. Do parallel rolling-average line plots for the four SG components over a period of several months or even a full year.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, doctorgolf said:

Hoping someone can help me with the spreadsheet. On both the How to Use sheet and whenever I try to input my own rounds, the total strokes gained for the round in the top table never autofill. It just continues showing the #VALUE! error. 

I can see the strokes gained for each individual shot on each hole just fine, but the round totals at the is just all errors. Any tips?

Thanks

I think that must be because you haven't copied over the referenced sheet.

The strokes gained is calculated using a the strokes gained chart from "Every Shot Counts" and then a comparison for each handicap from shot scope. 

That sheet needs to be copied so the master sheet can pull the required info from it

• 2 months later...
On 5/15/2023 at 8:56 AM, bellgolf said:

I think that must be because you haven't copied over the referenced sheet.

The strokes gained is calculated using a the strokes gained chart from "Every Shot Counts" and then a comparison for each handicap from shot scope. 

That sheet needs to be copied so the master sheet can pull the required info from it

I'm confused on how to input a 3putt. 

Also based on the above, do you just make a whole new workbook for every right? Or do you just create 2 different worksheets? (1 for the master and 1 reference). 

Thanks for making this btw.. 

Appreciate any help.

On 7/16/2023 at 2:21 PM, bellgolf said:

To recorded a 3 putt just put in your first two putt distances, then put a 1 in the penalty column.

Make a new sheet for every round. 

Thanks  

Now this isn't a question necessarily about the sheet, but Strokes Gained in general; is elevation taken into account? Example, the par 3 10th I played the other day, as the crow flies it's 185. However due to the elevated tee and slope it only plays to 160. 

Is 185 the number to put into the sheet? I'm assuming yes...? 

So there is a par 5 at my course, but it only plays 403. But, it's uphill, dog leg, and then back down the hill with another dog leg (picture attached).. 

I hit a 3w up the hill, had 207 left, didn't have a clear angle to the green, but I hit my 3HY and left myself 40 yards. 

The strokes gained sheet is telling me I lost .41 strokes with the 2nd shot. 

Is this just a quirk with strokes gained since it doesn't take into account anything other than yardage? I would think hitting your 2nd shot on a par 5 to 40 yards would gain you something. 

4th Hole crystal Springs (Ariel).jpg

The point of strokes gained is to have an objective measure of the value of a shot.  That the hole is a par 5 doesn't matter if you are objectively evaluating that shot by itself.

It's possible that laying up to that spot is the correct play for you, as it seems there is a lost ball left and right, which would be -2 strokes gained.  However, it is objectively evaluating that you had 207 to the pin, and only advances it 167 yards, which, comparing to a Touring professional is a significantly bad shot.  The system cannot take into account all factors however.

It is up to you to take that information and figure out what the correct play is.  Couple of factors,

1) If you didn't have a clear shot, was there a tree in your way?  If so, you could move the 207 yardage into the "Recovery" box in order to more effectively evaluate that the drive off the tee put you in a spot you could not hit clearly to the green.

2) I don't know what the yardage from edge of bunker to edge of bunker, but if outside of those bunkers you lose your ball, you can calculate that you will lose 2 strokes for stroke and distance of a lost ball, then another .41 when you lay up.  So that is a potential 2.41 lost strokes.  If you hit it in the greenside bunker, you still would lose .2 strokes. 

So even though you are losing .41 strokes, it is probably the best play.  Strokes gained is objective in nature.  But losing a fraction of a stroke and avoiding losing multiple strokes is probably the best play.  But SG can't tell you that, you have to take into account the other possibilities and make that decision.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bellgolf said:

The point of strokes gained is to have an objective measure of the value of a shot.  That the hole is a par 5 doesn't matter if you are objectively evaluating that shot by itself.

It's possible that laying up to that spot is the correct play for you, as it seems there is a lost ball left and right, which would be -2 strokes gained.  However, it is objectively evaluating that you had 207 to the pin, and only advances it 167 yards, which, comparing to a Touring professional is a significantly bad shot.  The system cannot take into account all factors however.

It is up to you to take that information and figure out what the correct play is.  Couple of factors,

1) If you didn't have a clear shot, was there a tree in your way?  If so, you could move the 207 yardage into the "Recovery" box in order to more effectively evaluate that the drive off the tee put you in a spot you could not hit clearly to the green.

2) I don't know what the yardage from edge of bunker to edge of bunker, but if outside of those bunkers you lose your ball, you can calculate that you will lose 2 strokes for stroke and distance of a lost ball, then another .41 when you lay up.  So that is a potential 2.41 lost strokes.  If you hit it in the greenside bunker, you still would lose .2 strokes. 

So even though you are losing .41 strokes, it is probably the best play.  Strokes gained is objective in nature.  But losing a fraction of a stroke and avoiding losing multiple strokes is probably the best play.  But SG can't tell you that, you have to take into account the other possibilities and make that decision.

Ok, that makes sense. 

And to answer your question, no trees were in my way, just that I can't hit a big enough draw (at least to control it) to carry the 190 to the front. Where I put it, was a perfectly nice straight shot. So IMO was definitely the better play. 

In fact I've played this hole with all various skill levels, scratch, to 30. I have never seen anyone hit that green in 2, simply because the design makes it very difficult. 

Since strikes gained is just numbers, I understand, none of that matters. 

Thanks again .

Yeah it just gives you the numbers to use.  But yeah that is a brutal looking green to hit into.

But yeah strokes gained just gives you the numbers.  But it gives you all of them.  So if you go sand, you still lose .2.  If you lose a ball, you lose 2, plus your next shot.  It certainly sounds like it is the best play.

The pros have SG that compares to what others do in the tournament.  We do not.  So yeah it can't compare that hole to everyone else's results.

• 3 weeks later...