2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Orlando Area Recommendations

Mcgoo31

Heading to Orlando from the UK next weekend for my annual holiday, will be there for 3 weeks and will be playing a fair amount of golf.

We have visited Orlando many times and have played most of the well known courses. We haven’t booked any tee times yet and usually book the day of or the day before. I have screenshot the list of courses we have played during past visits.

Below are the courses we are thinking of playing:

World Woods - Pine Barrens (want to play it again before the Cabot group work their magic)

Bay Hill Club & Lodge

Mission Inn - El Campeon 

LPGA International - Not sure which course is best?

Eaglebrook GC

Rio Pinar GC

Ocala National GC

I have listed some courses in the area I haven’t played, does anyone have any experience with these courses or have any other recommendations?

Sanctuary Ridge GC

Ridgewood Lakes GC

Providence GC

North Shore GC

Harmony Golf Preserve

Forest Lake GC

Harbor Hills

Royal Saint Cloud Links

Stone Gate GC

Stoney Brook GC

Any input would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

E91653C8-EBB3-4EF7-A568-9B338FAB2EBF.png

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, Mcgoo31 said:

Heading to Orlando from the UK next weekend for my annual holiday, will be there for 3 weeks and will be playing a fair amount of golf.

We have visited Orlando many times and have played most of the well known courses. We haven’t booked any tee times yet and usually book the day of or the day before. I have screenshot the list of courses we have played during past visits.

World Woods - Pine Barrens (want to play it again before the Cabot group work their magic)

Bay Hill Club & Lodge

Mission Inn - El Campeon 

Eaglebrook GC

Rio Pinar GC

Ocala National GC

I have listed some courses in the area I haven’t played, does anyone have any experience with these courses or have any other recommendations?

Sanctuary Ridge GC

Ridgewood Lakes GC

Providence GC

North Shore GC

Harmony Golf Preserve

Forest Lake GC

Harbor Hills

Royal Saint Cloud Links

Stone Gate GC

Stoney Brook GC

Any input would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

E91653C8-EBB3-4EF7-A568-9B338FAB2EBF.png

Most of the courses on your "have not played" list are mediocre from a design and/or conditioning perspective. Having said that, most of them are pretty inexpensive, so you are getting fair value for what you pay. Just don'rt expect to be blown away. When I visit the UK (I'm returning in June to the Scottish Highlands) I want to play very good to excellent courses. I'd expect that visitors here from the UK would want to do the same. I'd replay a lot of the ones that you've already played instead of these new ones, but if budget is a main concern you may be fine playing some of the "new" ones.

Royal Saint Cloud Links - This may be my favorite course on your "haven't yet played" list. It has 27 holes with a lot of variety. Some interesting greens and bunkering. 

Harmony Golf Preserve  - This is probably my second favorite  on your list of ones you haven't played. It has lots  of doglegs and cape holes. It can be wet, but is usually in good condition.

Stone Gate GC - Stonegate is located within the Solavita residential community. They have two courses, Oaks and Cypress. Oaks is a  good warm up course. It's pretty forgiving with water on only a few holes. Play Oaks when you want a good score. (sort of the opposite of White Heron where you can play well and still lose some golf balls). Cypress is the more challenging of the two Stonegate courses.

Ridgewood Lakes GC - A new owner acquired this course two years ago. It's now called White Heron. They've put a lot of money into the course and it is better than it ever was. It will be closing sometime later this year to re-do the greens and build a new club house. The course is tight with lots of water, which is not the type of course I prefer, but for the price it is worth playing. However, with Southern Dunes  and Championsgate in such close proximity I play those courses more frequently than I do here.

Providence GC - I play here almost every month. It's not bad. More forgiving that White Heron.

North Shore GC - I only play here once a year . It's a pretty typical Orlando course. Very comparable to Providence but I play Providence more frequently because of location.

Sanctuary Ridge GC - Very hilly, not one of my favorites.

Forest Lake GC , Harbor Hills  and Stoney Brook GC - Haven't played these.

Click on a photo below to see photos of the course>

Royal St. Cloud

Royal St Cloud

Harmony Preserve Golf Course

Harmony

White Heron Golf Course

White Heron

Stonegate @Solavita -Oaks Course

Stonegate @ Solavita Oaks

Stonegate @ Solavita - Cypress Course

Stonegate @ Solavita Cypress

Providence Golf Club

Providence

North Shore Golf Club (FL)

North Shore

Sanctuary Ridge Golf Course

Sanctuary Ridge

On 4/29/2022 at 3:06 PM, Mcgoo31 said:

Bay Hill Club & Lodge

Mission Inn - El Campeon 

Eaglebrook GC

Rio Pinar GC

Ocala National GC

From this list it looks like you've played Bay Hill and El Campeon before, so you know what you're getting. I think you need to stay a night at Bay Hill in order to play there. I like both of those courses, but for the money of the lodging and green fee I don't think I'd play Bay Hill again. El Cameon, on the other hand is a good value. Pine Barrens at World Woods is an excellent course and worth the drive from Orlando. I've heard mixed rveiews lately on the conditioning, but I'd take a shot.

EagleBrooke is a nice course in Lakeland. It's another day of driving from Orlando, but also worth the drive. 

LPGA has two courses. The Rees Jones course is quite forgiving and a very good warm up course. The Arthur Hills Course is more challenging and has tougher/more interesting greens and approach shots.

Rio Pinar is not in the same class as the four courses mentioned above and is  more comparable to the courses on your "have not played" list. I'd play Royal St Cloud or Harmony before I'd play Rio Pinar.

I haven't played Ocala National.

Click on a photo below for photo tours of these courses.

Arnold Palmer's Bay Hill Golf Club

Bay Hill

Mission Inn - El Campeon

Mission Inn El Campeon

World Woods - Pine Barrens

World Woods Pine Barrens

LPGA International - Arthur Hills Course

LPGA - Arthur Hills Course

LPGA International - Rees Jones Course

LPGA - Rees Jones course

Edited by sabram
to correct typos

21 hours ago, Mcgoo31 said:

I have screenshot the list of courses we have played during past visits.

... does anyone have any other recommendations?

In looking at your list of the courses you've played on prior visits, I see that you've already played the courses I would recommend. Which were your favorites? If there's a style of course you prefer perhaps I, or other posters can suggest ones that would best fit your tastes.

Although I'd probably replay courses that you've already played, here are a few that you haven't played that were not on any of your lists that I'd suggest if you are focusing on trying new places:

Deltona Club - This is a really good design. The issue here  has been with conditioning. If you don't mind a course that's a little rough around the edges, try Deltona. It's very good and very inexpensive. If they put any money into the course it could be as good as Southern Dunes, very interesting greens  and bunkering on a great piece of land and no water hazards (unusual for Florida).

Highlands Reserve - Like Deltona, it's a good design (I think they have 13 good holes) that is not always in good condition. The rough gets  weedy, but at least they keep the fairways and greens in decent nick. Like Deltona great piece of land and interesting greens, no water and not expensive.

Orange Lake - There are two courses here, Reserve and Legends. I've been pleasantly surprised by both courses. They are typical Florida courses than Deltona and Highlands Reserve as they are flatter and have more water in play.

Championsgate National - You've played Championsgate International and Championsgate Country Club.  I prefer both of those to the National, but the National is okay and always in excellent condition.

Big Cypress - This is a little known course in Lakeland located in a rustic retirement caravan  community. The course is actually decent and inexpensive.

Legends at Clermont - This course had shut down just before the pandemic and has recently re-opened. It has lot's of significant elevation changes and has been in good condition.

Black Bear - I haven't played here in years, but I enjoyed it. If you are staying in that area it is worth a play.

Deltona Golf Club

Deltona Club

Highlands Reserve Golf Course

Highlands Reserve

Orange Lake- The Reserve Golf Course

Orange Lake Reserve course

Championsgate National Course

Championsgate - National Course

Big Cypress Golf Course

Big Cypress

Legends of Clermont Golf Course

Legends Clermont

Black Bear Golf Course (FL)

Black Bear

Southern Dunes gets a lot of love when Orlando threads come up, I personally don’t see it. Routed through a neighborhood like 95% of Florida golf, lots of hazards, aerial approaches rewarded, etc. 

I personally like to beat the Royal St. Cloud drum as it has never disappointed me from a conditioning or fun/playability perspective. In fact I think it’s the best value in Orlando by a long shot and worth a trip. Great width and variety of easy, fun, strategic, and difficult holes. Plenty of ways to play shots using the ground and slopes, whereas much of Orlando requires just aerial approaches. Oh, and the holes aren’t hallways framed by houses.

Deltona club, as mentioned, might be the best design in the area but it’s rough around the edges. Greens usually have plenty of grass on them, they’re just run at very slow speeds. If you’re the kind of golfer who can look past that it’s worth a look.

Forest Lake is another good spot. Great routing through some nice big old southern oaks. A couple of quirky holes when you go around it this first time, but if you’re looking for new courses thats another good option. 

I will agree that Rio Pinar isn’t worth a look from any out of town traveler right now. Old classic course that hosted a PGA Tour event back in the day, but there 20 other courses you should play before revisiting Rio. 

Edited by italianstallion

[sign here]

18 hours ago, italianstallion said:

Southern Dunes gets a lot of love when Orlando threads come up, I personally don’t see it. Routed through a neighborhood like 95% of Florida golf, lots of hazards, aerial approaches rewarded, etc. 

I personally like to beat the Royal St. Cloud drum as it has never disappointed me from a conditioning or fun/playability perspective. In fact I think it’s the best value in Orlando by a long shot and worth a trip. Great width and variety of easy, fun, strategic, and difficult holes. Plenty of ways to play shots using the ground and slopes, whereas much of Orlando requires just aerial approaches. Oh, and the holes aren’t hallways framed by houses.

Deltona club, as mentioned, might be the best design in the area but it’s rough around the edges. Greens usually have plenty of grass on them, they’re just run at very slow speeds. If you’re the kind of golfer who can look past that it’s worth a look.

Forest Lake is another good spot. Great routing through some nice big old southern oaks. A couple of quirky holes when you go around it this first time, but if you’re looking for new courses thats another good option. 

I will agree that Rio Pinar isn’t worth a look from any out of town traveler right now. Old classic course that hosted a PGA Tour event back in the day, but there 20 other courses you should play before revisiting Rio. 

I agree with your post other than your description of Southern Dunes.  There are very few courses in Florida similar to SD. SD has water in play on only one hole on each side. Yes there are a lot of sand bunkers, but that's true of many of the great links of Great Britain and Ireland, as well as Bandon Dunes, Kohler etc. In any event, the majority of the holes have options to play away from the bunkers. It's a great risk-reward course that makes you think and provides options on every shot (except perhaps some of the par 3's). The fairways at SD are extremely wide with only 3 or 4 exceptions. It's really hard to lose a ball at SD.  Ten of the non par three holes provide options to either fly the ball to the green or run the ball up to the green. If you play your drive to the correct side the greens on 10 holes allow run up shots. It's a much less "aerial" game course than the  majority of Florida courses. After the fourth hole, tou don't drive through the neighborhoods other than from #16 to #17. SD also ahs much more elevation chnages than most Florida courses and the most interesting greens of any public course in the Orlando area.  As my earlier posts indicated, I'm a fan of both Deltona and Royal St Cloud. The things that make those two courses good are what SD does even better IMO, plus SD is always in excellent condition.

Eagle Creek should be on your list IMO. Its near North Shore / Airport, across the street from Lake Nona. Tons of great places to eat there also (I like the Mexican at Don Julios right outside the course. Can check out Nona Blue also.) Super easy to get to if you take 417 toll freeway too. North Shore is a jekyll/hyde course. It is links-ish front and parkland/trees on most of back.  Kind of like two different courses. 

LPGA courses, I like the Reese Jones course over the Hills. It is more natural feeling to me which I like. The Jones can be tough if conditions are dry and fast, lots of tabletop greens with deep bunkering makes it very difficult to get up and down from even the slightest bit errant iron shot in.

If you're in a pinch for a course close to Disney, I think Hawk's Landing is worth it to play at least one time. It can be short and tight in spots but has some interesting holes. I don't mind going there once a year with some buddies.

If you're willing to drive to Daytona Beach, then you could make it to Viera. Duran GC is a good course. Large undulating greens. There is also Viera East, Baytree National in the Melbourne area. both are good courses for the price/value you get. Great Outdoors in Titusville is an interesting one too. Makes you think a few holes, geens were fantastic the only time I played it. Also in Daytona area, there is The Club at Venetian Bay which is ok once in a while. Riviera CC is a quaint 1960's vibe spot with some good/fast greens and some sneaky good holes. Not everyone's cup of tea with holes next to each other. All of these should be under 1hr from Disney Springs area.

Just my opinion, but was not all that impressed with Royal St. Cloud. I don't like links-ish style. Very slow round for us too.

If you have a spot open on Bay Hill shoot me a pm. I have yet to play there.

Edited by markheardjr

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter