Chipped Pork Sandwiches vs Pulled Pork Sandwiches (or good vs evil)

jholz

1 hour ago, jholz said:

Well, I'm sure someone will come along and pillory me for this but...

If you don't know Alabama white sauce, you're in for a rather unpleasant experience. I think it may just be ranch dressing thinned out with vinegar. I've given it an honest go, and I can't say I see the appeal. It is apparently popular in north Alabama but I couldn't say where.

Beyond that, hilarious about "Sweet Home." People in Columbus, West Point, and LaGrange - all up and down the Georgia side of the river - would always talk about how they "went over to Alabama" to some bar or whatever.

The stories all ended the same way: "When 'Sweet Home Alabama' came on, people just went nuts. We had to get out of there."

Dukes Mayonnaise sells the Bama White sauce now in the squirt bottle. It is ok but not one of my favorites

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

21 hours ago, chisag said:

... I grew up in Greensboro NC home of legendary Stamey's BBQ which was pulled pork with a vinegar based sauce. They started their hickory smoked pit at 3am for lunch and dinner that day. Main restaurant was right across the street from the Colosseum and on tournament days the line was a long way out the door. Went to ECU in Greenville NC and they used that nasty mustard sauce, so I started bringing sauce from home. Mustard sauce is for people that don't like the taste of pork because it is so over powering. Kinda like catchup on steak or a Kids Happy Meal sauce for adults. 🤪  Worked in Athens and Columbus Ga and never saw chipped pork. 

All my kin folks on Step Moms side of the family are from Pitt county and Craven County--- Granny and them lived in Greenville all their lives and I spent a lot of time there. I never saw any mustard based sauce it was always vinegar based. Never saw any Mustard based sauce until I was about 15 or so and played in a Jr event in Columbia SC. They had BBQ sandwiches from Maurice Besinger which is mustard base. I was like WTH? it was all new to me

20 hours ago, Mitchell said:

While at ECU, you should have made it to Venter’s Restaurant or Bee’s Barbecue, or made a short road trip to the original Parker’s in Wilson. Those were best places for chopped barbecue with vinegar based sauce. Bee’s also had pulled pork and ribs that you had to stop by and order day prior to need for ample time to smoke and because they were so busy they refused to answer phone for call-in orders😃

Of course, other issue is that I am a bit younger than you so by time I went to ECU, those heathens that liked mustard based were run out of town 😂

Back in the day 60s 70s the best vinegar based BBQ was at Respress James BBQ on Dickinson Avenue in Greenville--- Parkers was a close 2nd---- There was also a spin off of Bee's called the Busy Bee Cafe on Evans Street in Greenville by the train depot. They had like good plate lunches etc. Far as Granny was concerned Respress James was the place

• Like 1

17 hours ago, miamistomp said:

Born and raised in South Philly

We had nothing against Southerners- we probably just didn't like mooks like you😝

Best cheesesteaks are out of the tourist areas 

Larry's West Philly, D'allesandro in Roxborough or Steve's in the Northeast

Also you should try Di'Nics roast beef with broccoli rabe and John's roast pork

Philadelphia is a great sandwich town

I hauled machinery into G B Goldman Paper Company on Allegany Street off of 95. They had food trucks that made the best Philly Cheese Steaks I have ever eaten. They were doing a new part of that plant so I hauled 4 or 5 loads out of Baltimore Harbor to there. In fact one of the Goldman wheels bought me lunch one day. Thinking on it that had to be around 81 or 82

2 hours ago, jholz said:

If you don't know Alabama white sauce, you're in for a rather unpleasant experience. I think it may just be ranch dressing thinned out with vinegar. I've given it an honest go, and I can't say I see the appeal. It is apparently popular in north Alabama but I couldn't say where.

Actually no.  The best is DIY.  

Alabama White BBQ Sauce..pdf

• Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Hatch Chiles is a label affixed to chiles grown in Hatch, NM.  The cultivar is actually NuMex 6-4, or a variation thereof.  There are a number of variations on the original 6-4 (Heritage 6-4, 6-4 Improved, Big Jim's, etc. etc.).  Anaheim's are the cultivar NM #9.  Colorado's are NuMex Mirasol (aka Pueblo Chili).  The soil and growing conditions may make them taste better, but it's not because "Hatch" chiles are unique onto themselves.  Grown a number of NuMex chiles in my garden and they taste just fine.  

And the great New Mexican debate.  Red or Green?  Why not both, although generally prefer red sauce (a more rounded flavor).  Red Chiles nothing more than ripened green chiles.  In most all instances, a green chile is an unripened one.  All depends at what stage one chooses to pick them.  Green chiles are best used fresh.  Red chiles dehydrate better.   Red chiles make the better powder.  Chimayo chiles the best.  

Delving into the world of chile peppers is an interesting exploration.  

Chipped pork v. Pulled pork.  Couldn't tell 'ya.  Only done pulled.  But I'd consume chipped if available.  And sauced.  

Edited by Fellaheen51
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, jholz said:

I grew a bunch of Hatches in 5 gallon bucket on my stoop last summer. Made a couple of batches of green chili with them.   Went with mini-bells this year - but thinking of going to a strictly pepper based vegetable effort next year. Miss the hatches.

These are the "Hatches" that you should consider.  Plants grow to ~30", prolific producer.  Plant them in dirt, give them some room.  

https://www.sandiaseed.com/products/age-6-4-numex

If you want a big pod, grow these.  

https://www.sandiaseed.com/products/big-jim-legacy

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Fellaheen51 said:

These are the "Hatches" that you should consider.  Plants grow to ~30", prolific producer.  Plant them in dirt, give them some room.  

https://www.sandiaseed.com/products/age-6-4-numex

If you want a big pod, grow these.  

https://www.sandiaseed.com/products/big-jim-legacy

Yeah, I can't remember if that is the exact variety I grew, but that's the place where I purchased my seeds. They seem super good. 

I believe mine were Numex, but would have to check the package. I grew them in 5-gallon buckets. Got a ton of chilis. super fun, super tasty. Gonna have to grow some more next season.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

22 hours ago, Fellaheen51 said:

Hatch Chiles is a label affixed to chiles grown in Hatch, NM.  The cultivar is actually NuMex 6-4, or a variation thereof.  There are a number of variations on the original 6-4 (Heritage 6-4, 6-4 Improved, Big Jim's, etc. etc.).  Anaheim's are the cultivar NM #9.  Colorado's are NuMex Mirasol (aka Pueblo Chili).  The soil and growing conditions may make them taste better, but it's not because "Hatch" chiles are unique onto themselves.  Grown a number of NuMex chiles in my garden and they taste just fine.  

And the great New Mexican debate.  Red or Green?  Why not both, although generally prefer red sauce (a more rounded flavor).  Red Chiles nothing more than ripened green chiles.  In most all instances, a green chile is an unripened one.  All depends at what stage one chooses to pick them.  Green chiles are best used fresh.  Red chiles dehydrate better.   Red chiles make the better powder.  Chimayo chiles the best.  

Delving into the world of chile peppers is an interesting exploration.  

Chipped pork v. Pulled pork.  Couldn't tell 'ya.  Only done pulled.  But I'd consume chipped if available.  And sauced.  

Yeah, I've heard this before - from people from New Mexico. 😀

I suppose I was referring to the pork based stew (green chili) rather than the vegetable.

Being from Colorado, we do get into chilies, of course, but we don't have the regional claim that N.M. does obviously. Now cantaloupes are, of course, a different story.

And yes, red vs. green. I honestly love both, and love the sauces/stew made from both. I'd say good red chili sauce (or enchilada sauce) is the more difficult to locate. Most tend towards tomato based/augmented, or use dried chilies which tend to become bitter. But, if done properly, I'd eat red chili on everything.

I typically use ancho, pasilla, and/or guajillo chilies in mine.

or
or

On 8/24/2022 at 12:29 PM, Fellaheen51 said:

Hatch Chiles is a label affixed to chiles grown in Hatch, NM.

Yep, my wife and I used to make the trip to Albuquerque in late summer / early fall to a stand that had great chilies. We’d bring them home and roast them up on the grill. Peel, seed and freeze the flesh to be used in just about anything - burgers, eggs, soups - you name it. Nowadays, we can just pick them up at the local grocery store. The roasting day is still a celebration.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 11:39 AM, bcjim said:

You lost me here. People shoot doves?   

Oh yeah man. Doves are the best shooting there is. In fact, all competitive shotgun shooting is essentially based on shooting doves. Clay "pigeons" right?

Doves are small and fast. Bag limits are typically 15. I'd use my 1oz handicap shells. Lots of shooting at a very low cost.

Plus, dove season is usually late summer through fall and upland. You don't find yourself standing waist deep in freezing water for hours, like waterfowl hunting. You also didn't have to "scare them up" like quail or pheasants, so no walking for hours in head high weeds.

Dove season, generally, is t-shirt hunting, hanging out around some trees near a source of food or water. Best shooting to effort ratio in hunting.

or
or

chopped isn't necessarily bbqed or smoked, and can be a slightly different cut of meat than the typical butt used for pulled ... i doubt it's all that unique to alabama/georgia ... i'm good with either one ... but i'm hungry as hell now ... 

Edited by tiderider
  • Like 1

On 9/2/2022 at 9:48 AM, jholz said:

Oh yeah man. Doves are the best shooting there is. In fact, all competitive shotgun shooting is essentially based on shooting doves. Clay "pigeons" right?

Doves are small and fast. Bag limits are typically 15. I'd use my 1oz handicap shells. Lots of shooting at a very low cost.

Plus, dove season is usually late summer through fall and upland. You don't find yourself standing waist deep in freezing water for hours, like waterfowl hunting. You also didn't have to "scare them up" like quail or pheasants, so no walking for hours in head high weeds.

Dove season, generally, is t-shirt hunting, hanging out around some trees near a source of food or water. Best shooting to effort ratio in hunting.

I have some friends in Brazil that go to Argentina for Dove hunts, they showed me pictures of two pickup trucks full of doves from 6 guys shooting in one morning / early afternoon. 

Most of them they donate to the local children's and old folks home's which they gladly take. Then they have a big cook in the late afternoon with what they want to eat.

He told me of flocks of birds so big that one shot brings down 4-6 birds, thousands of birds in the air. Not a lot of sport but fun shooting.

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX Pro / CB  4-11 PX IO 5.5 

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5

On 9/6/2022 at 8:35 AM, Jim53 said:

I have some friends in Brazil that go to Argentina for Dove hunts, they showed me pictures of two pickup trucks full of doves from 6 guys shooting in one morning / early afternoon. 

Most of them they donate to the local children's and old folks home's which they gladly take. Then they have a big cook in the late afternoon with what they want to eat.

He told me of flocks of birds so big that one shot brings down 4-6 birds, thousands of birds in the air. Not a lot of sport but fun shooting.

Yeah man, that's the dream. Argentine dove hunts are the things of legend. Gotta have your Benelli "Cordoba" all tuned up for that action - at least that's what the Benelli commercials tell me.

or
or