Broomstick Putters

ChaosTheory

Similar to the Sidesaddle thread but for people who stand conventionally.

Broomstick Putters, what are you using?  What have you liked, not liked, etc.?

Shoulder rock or pendulum stroke?  Does that affect choice of putter?

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

I have used broomstick putters for over 30 years.  Originally they were too light weight In the head. About 400 gms. Now they are making them with over 500 gm heads.   The heavier head is more stable and I find it better for distance control. 
For the last few years I have been putting side saddle but can be effective either method. I went face on putting when anchoring was banned. 
I do think standing upright gives a better view of your line 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, rexroh said:

I have used broomstick putters for over 30 years.  Originally they were too light weight In the head. About 400 gms. Now they are making them with over 500 gm heads.   The heavier head is more stable and I find it better for distance control. 
For the last few years I have been putting side saddle but can be effective either method. I went face on putting when anchoring was banned. 

I am new to broomsticks with my third round in the books. There are peaks and valleys with it. I see the line WAY better.

Question… how do you personally grip the broom? I am

playing with different types of grips. My struggle is having the face open at impact. 

Any advice? 

ADD: Using a LAB DF 2.1.

Edited by OspreyCI

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

16 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

I am new to broomsticks with my third round in the books. There are peaks and valleys with it. I see the line WAY better.

Question… how do you personally grip the broom? I am

playing with different types of grips. My struggle is having the face open at impact. 

Any advice? 

ADD: Using a LAB DF 2.1.

Do you rock your shoulders or just swing the pendulum?

I've always tried the latter.  I think the grip probably depends on how your hand likes to hang naturally.  I find I need my thumb wrapped far enough around to the lead side to be able to pull the club away straight back.    I have the pad on the palm, where the index finger meets the palm, directly on the trail (push) side of the grip.

• Thanks 1

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

16 hours ago, rexroh said:

I have a 400 gram GP Putter.  I would like to get one that allows weight changes in the range of 400-500.  I see LAB can do that but that they seem to want you to send it to them for a $100 weight change.  I want to be able to experiment.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

20 minutes ago, Snowman9000 said:

I've always tried the latter.  I think the grip probably depends on how your hand likes to hang naturally.  I find I need my thumb wrapped far enough around to the lead side to be able to pull the club away straight back.    I have the pad on the palm, where the index finger meets the palm, directly on the trail (push) side of the grip.

My first round with the broomstick with no practice was my best putting round with it so far. I look back and realize that I was just doing the pendulum move. After that I started watching videos of broomstick techniques and went to rocking my shoulders. My putting got much worse. I am going back to the pendulum move. 

I understand what you are describing for your grip and that is what I used my first round with great success and moved away from it when I started rocking my shoulders. 

I am going back to square one with what I had success with.

Thanks. 

• Like 1

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

On 9/13/2022 at 2:02 AM, Snowman9000 said:

I have a 400 gram GP Putter.  I would like to get one that allows weight changes in the range of 400-500.  I see LAB can do that but that they seem to want you to send it to them for a $100 weight change.  I want to be able to experiment.

I have put lead shot down the shaft of a GP putter to increase weight. I then jammed some foam rubber on top of them to keep in place. It was partially successful but the lead shot rattled at times.  I could not get lead powder which would have been better. 

• Like 1

On 9/11/2022 at 9:19 AM, Snowman9000 said:

Similar to the Sidesaddle thread but for people who stand conventionally.

Broomstick Putters, what are you using?  What have you liked, not liked, etc.?

Shoulder rock or pendulum stroke?  Does that affect choice of putter?

@Snowman9000we have a great feeling broomstick putter.  Happy to help answer any questions that you might have with weight and feel.  If you like send us a note to [email protected].  Happy to help.  Thanks.  Good luck in your search.

Edited by SeeMore Putters
  • Like 2

I also have used the broomstick putters for over 30 years. Presently I have 3 in rotation. Big Sur cs, Big Sur Pro Platinum and just added the Mezz1. The Big Sur cs was my original putter and still in rotation. I have always used the pendulum stroke. When they change the anchor mandate, I just shorten the putter 1” and was able to stand at the same angle. If anyone has any questions please reach out. 

• Like 1

Ping g430 10K w/ DI-6S

TaylorMade Sim Ti 5W w/ Ventus blue 7-S

Taylormade Stage 2 Tour hybrid w/Fujikura Speeder HB-S

Mizuno 243  w/ Modus 120-S, 4-PW

SM8. 52* & 58* TM High Toe

Lab Mezz...46”

Jones Players Bag
Taylormade TP5X

I'm assuming when you guys are referencing "pendulum" stroke this would be like Langer's style where he keeps his left (anchor hand) still and uses the right hand to move the putter? While the shoulder method is more like Adam Scott? If so, with the pendulum stroke has anyone tried center shaft vs a heel shafted broomstick? I see Argolf has one of each but that's seems to be the only option for heel shafted I've found. 

Edited by Meanbeav77
  • Like 1

Cobra LTDx  (8*) AutoFlex 505

PXG Gen 6 3 Wood (15*)

PXG Gen 6 (18*)

PXG Gen 6 4 hybrid (22*)

Cobra Aerojet OL (5-SW)
Cobra Snakebite 58*

Lajosi Custom LP808

5 hours ago, golf9596 said:

I also have used the broomstick putters for over 30 years. Presently I have 3 in rotation. Big Sur cs, Big Sur Pro Platinum and just added the Mezz1. The Big Sur cs was my original putter and still in rotation. I have always used the pendulum stroke. When they change the anchor mandate, I just shorten the putter 1” and was able to stand at the same angle. If anyone has any questions please reach out. 

New to broomsticks and I have been going back in forth with the pendulum stroke versus rocking the shoulders. The pendulum just works so much better for me. Good practice session this morning working on keep my top hand steady and just moving the lower hand back and forth. 

Love the broomstick for just how the putter just moves down the line. Feel like I can see the line better too. 4th round with it tomorrow. Can’t wait. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

6 hours ago, Meanbeav77 said:

I'm assuming when you guys are referencing "pendulum" stroke this would be like Langer's style where he keeps his left (anchor hand) still and uses the right hand to move the putter? While the shoulder method is more like Adam Scott? If so, with the pendulum stroke has anyone tried center shaft vs a heel shafted broomstick? I see Argolf has one of each but that's seems to be the only option for heel shafted I've found. 

As far as I know, Langer rocks his shoulders.  At least I thought so.  

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

I am starting to get lost during the round using the pendulum and rocking the shoulders. Kinda a mess with it today. Back to the practice green. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, ajp12286 said:

Bumping this thread on the heel shafted vs. center shafted question. Curious to hear which folks prefer.  

I just ordered a center shafted putter. It'll be here next week. I always wanted to try one but, everything I've ever read said that CS putters work better for SBST strokes. Well, I'm not one to take someone that I don't know's advice, I need to find out for myself. 
 Something I'm curious about is cheap vs. expensive putters. Including the one I'm waiting on, I've got 4 and all of them together cost less than $200.00. I can putt fine with all of them. Other than brand "bragging" rights or "I've got way too much money laying around", I can't see a reason to spend $300-400 for a putter.

• 1 year later...

Ball position for you broomstikers and how do you ensure you address it in the same position consistently?  In addition, is your lead hand center with your sternum or more towards your right peck (rh golfer).  Thanks!

DRIVER - CALLAWAY PARADYM X 9*

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 15* / 18* / 21*

IRONS - PXG 0317 CB [5i-GW]

WEDGES - MIZUNO T22 54.08 / 58.08 / 62.08

PUTTER - LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick

PXG 0317 X

On 12/10/2023 at 7:14 PM, Sons_of_Pitches said:

Ball position for you broomstikers and how do you ensure you address it in the same position consistently?  In addition, is your lead hand center with your sternum or more towards your right peck (rh golfer).  Thanks!

I line up such that the center of the putter face is basically center of my stance. Ball is obviously a tiny bit forward in that case. Lead hand is probably very slightly ahead of center (nudged a bit towards lead/left pec for a right handed putter). Inside of feet are roughly shoulder width apart, lead elbow points to the target, trail palm points to target with the shaft pinched between index and thumb (look up Adam Scott picks). 

On 12/14/2023 at 11:10 AM, TonyRo said:

I line up such that the center of the putter face is basically center of my stance. Ball is obviously a tiny bit forward in that case. Lead hand is probably very slightly ahead of center (nudged a bit towards lead/left pec for a right handed putter). Inside of feet are roughly shoulder width apart, lead elbow points to the target, trail palm points to target with the shaft pinched between index and thumb (look up Adam Scott picks). 

Thanks for the information. I ended up purchasing a relatively cheap Bell long putter to play around with as an experiment.  I ended up ordering it at 44”.  I have been putting with it daily for about a couple weeks now.  All I can say is wowzers! Took me a few days to figure out what setup worked best and what style grip/arm positions were comfortable for me.  Found lead arm pointed to target, thumb on top of grip with but of club lined center of sternum, with trail arm hanging straight down and hand positioned at 45* using cigar grip to work the best so far.  Man ole man why did I wait so long…. lag putting has been really good with ball starting on line a lot more and making way more putts in the 10’-15’ — even the shorter putts in the 5’-8’ are going in on the regular on the putting greens. I even went to a local PGA store where they have the lab broomstick in stock to roll a few. The lab broom was an inch longer at 45” than my experimental long putter, but I loved it.  It was stupid easy to putt with.  If I didn’t want a different sight marking and different colored shaft I would have purchased on the spot. Bottom line the broomstick is certainly for me.  My only complaint is the fact that it’s as long as my driver and hate that it sticks up so high, but I’m just going to have to get used to it if I want to continue the success I’m seeing so far with sinking more putts.

PXG 0317 X

On 12/14/2023 at 11:17 AM, TT2017 said:

Have you Broom guys kept a secret all this time?

The rules say the lie angle cannot be >80degrees, but to be honest I've noticed NO difference in ball direction when simply letting the broom hang at 90 degrees in a minor heel up position (technically unbalanced). It's so much easier to take the club back on the target line (literally a pendulum).

So, a well kept secret or is there something that I'm missing?

I found I was doing this with my current Bell V experimental long putter which is a blade style head.  However, when I tried a lab broom in a local PGA store I found myself not needing to do this as the lab broomstick was just super easy to bring back on plane.  Needless to say, I will be ordering myself a lab broomstick here in the next couple of weeks.  But there are no rules against you putting the putter in a 90* angle. 🙂  One thing I will say that I found super helpful for puts under 6’ is to use a very short stroke.  

PXG 0317 X

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/17/2022 at 6:10 AM, golf9596 said:

Being you have 3 brooms and one of them being a LAB do you find yourself leaving puts short with the LAB? Reason I'm asking is that I have a cheap blade like milled broom that I do great with on lag puts but with my lab broom I constantly leave puts short. My cheap broom putter (used for initial testing) weighs a lot less than the mezz but yet my lag putting is better it.  

PXG 0317 X

1 hour ago, Sons_of_Pitches said:

Being you have 3 brooms and one of them being a LAB do you find yourself leaving puts short with the LAB? Reason I'm asking is that I have a cheap blade like milled broom that I do great with on lag puts but with my lab broom I constantly leave puts short. My cheap broom putter (used for initial testing) weighs a lot less than the mezz but yet my lag putting is better it.  

I’d say no.  I’ve always been a feel player and in putting it’s the same. I see a line and putt it. I never singled out speed as a separate thought. When putting became an issue (yips) you over think everything. Since going to the long putter I try to make everything and not worry about the next one. 

Ping g430 10K w/ DI-6S

TaylorMade Sim Ti 5W w/ Ventus blue 7-S

Taylormade Stage 2 Tour hybrid w/Fujikura Speeder HB-S

Mizuno 243  w/ Modus 120-S, 4-PW

SM8. 52* & 58* TM High Toe

Lab Mezz...46”

Jones Players Bag
Taylormade TP5X

On 9/12/2022 at 10:00 AM, Snowman9000 said:

It's interesting.

I'm definitely a sidesaddle putter when I'm outside.

But the simulator I play at all winter, for some reason - the camera (up above) can't read my sidesaddle stroke.

I think I somehow block the view of the ball with my setup.

So I've spent the last 3 winters putting broomstick style inside during the winters - and I think it might be as effective as my SS style.  (I might have to give at a try outside this summer just to see)

And when I putt that style I'm a pendulum swinger.  I just could never get into rocking the shoulders.

On 10/16/2022 at 10:29 PM, ajp12286 said:

Bumping this thread on the heel shafted vs. center shafted question. Curious to hear which folks prefer.  

Center shafted for me all day long.

I always felt heel shafted putters encouraged more of a fanning motion (open and closing the face).