True aim ball marker

Z1ggy16

For all those that got in on this latest batch, the paint is currently drying. Should be able to sand tomorrow, no later than Monday. So I still anticipate they'll ship out early in the week.

And for those who've already received their's. Any feedback on the "reactive" cups I included as a freebie? While I love them and use them a ton, everyone else might not feel the same. Just wondering if it's worth continuing to include them. Or if they're something only I think is cool and enjoy.

Also, stay tuned for a new table and new diagram that'll include some enhancements.  

• Like 1

Alright, here are the revised chart and diagrams. Enhancements include...

• All value are in reference to the edge of the hole
    • Note that values in bold and italics are inside the hole; all others are outside the hole
  • "Ball" values have been added, from half a ball to 3 balls, in half a ball increments
    • Some didn't match up exactly to a half ball increment, so those are accompanied by a greater than or less than symbol (e.g. 1.25" values would be slightly less than 1.5 balls inside/outside the hole)
  • Any value over a foot no longer has a corresponding inch value
  • Increments have been added/adjusted to reflect the following
    • 1-10 Feet: One foot increments
    • 10-20 Feet: Two feet increments
    • 20-40 Feet: Five foot increments
  • In addition to the above the diagrams have been updated so that the ball colors reflect the hash mark pattern on the marker

Appreciate the feedback to get it to this point. And welcome any additional feedback to further improve the companion resources. And of course, feel free to post any questions.

234020313_RevisedChart.jpg.6429cbc491cc064fcebf8c0e89dc7467.jpg

693350202_1-10Feet.jpg.9080b3191e64a4a4f7cba39981ecb7ee.jpg

30440670_10-20Feet.jpg.3851571efa1ee497db457b0eafdc5fae.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

Front 9 done and the chart and marker are money! Even par with 2 birdies because of the combo!A055CB19-3E0A-4316-AED2-644AD6678456.jpeg.a429c5505a0fe93d3315c1ab9cf0dc07.jpeg

Didn’t putt much on the back 9. Terrible iron play. Almost chopped in 3 times. Iron play was so bad the irons are on BST! I digress…. There were times that the chart and marker had me play way more break that I would have ever and I almost dropped a few 20-30 foot 3% ers and even a 4% putt. Big eye opener for me. I play on pretty sloping greens.  Only my second round full time using Aim Point and I am already making huge progress in my green reading  and long putting.  The marker is just complete money! 

Forgot to add….. gotta be ready with green reading and chart use or you can really slow play down. We play fast as the first groups off the tee. Our skin game had 3 Fivesomes. 

Edited by OspreyCI

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s

TM Stealth2 15* TM Ventus TR 6-S 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I'll be testing it tomorrow!! Hopefully the 53* feels like 53 and not 43 🤞🤞

I'm just using the marker, I won't be bringing my break chart with me because I want to test it out with out having any other thoughts or ideas running around in my head. Won't be trying to guess slope % or anything, simply qualifying break by barely any, some, noticeable and severe.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

Didn’t putt much on the back 9. Terrible iron play. Almost chopped in 3 times. Iron play was so bad the irons are on BST! I digress…. There were times that the chart and marker had me play way more break that I would have ever and I almost dropped a few 20-30 foot 3% ers and even a 4% putt. Big eye opener for me. I play on pretty sloping greens.  Only my second round full time using Aim Point and I am already making huge progress in my green reading  and long putting.  The marker is just complete money! 

Forgot to add….. gotta be ready with green reading and chart use or you can really slow play down. We play fast as the first groups off the tee. Our skin game had 3 Fivesomes. 

Really great to hear how well it's working for you! 

Agree that there's probably an efficiency learning curve. Maybe a combo of the diagram and chart? Particularly for the 1-10 foot range. As in, maybe I could put the corresponding values directly under each diagram? That way you can get a visual and precise value all in one spot.

7 hours ago, Z1ggy16 said:

I'll be testing it tomorrow!! Hopefully the 53* feels like 53 and not 43 🤞🤞

I'm just using the marker, I won't be bringing my break chart with me because I want to test it out with out having any other thoughts or ideas running around in my head. Won't be trying to guess slope % or anything, simply qualifying break by barely any, some, noticeable and severe.

Can't wait to hear how the "generalized" approach works. As this was going to be my initial approach. Figure if it works, it's the easiest and quickest method.

10 hours ago, SE Gamer said:

Really great to hear how well it's working for you! 

Agree that there's probably an efficiency learning curve. Maybe a combo of the diagram and chart? Particularly for the 1-10 foot range. As in, maybe I could put the corresponding values directly under each diagram? That way you can get a visual and precise value all in one spot.

I think your updated chart is a really good. It can’t get too busy or it will slow you down. I think what you have now works great. Again, I was using it in a round with a fivesome trying to keep our pace of play up. It’s a quick read, quick chart check, line up the ball on the marker and go.

I know the chart was a huge benefit on my 10-20 footer with lots of slope. Those I am trying to get close and hope one falls. Chart made me pay way more break than I would have thought and I have never come that close to making some very difficult putts. 

• Like 1

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s

TM Stealth2 15* TM Ventus TR 6-S 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

1 hour ago, OspreyCI said:

I think your updated chart is a really good. It can’t get too busy or it will slow you down. I think what you have now works great. Again, I was using it in a round with a fivesome trying to keep our pace of play up. It’s a quick read, quick chart check, line up the ball on the marker and go.

I know the chart was a huge benefit on my 10-20 footer with lots of slope. Those I am trying to get close and hope one falls. Chart made me pay way more break than I would have thought and I have never come that close to making some very difficult putts. 

Appreciate the feedback. And agree that the chart/diagram can't be too complex. 

I messed around with it a bit last night. Ultimately landed on something that can be printed off and will fit inside a standard scorecard holder (you know those fancy leather looking things). I printed it on a sheet of card stock and will likely laminate it.

Layout is as follows...

• Side 1
    • 1 - 10 foot diagrams
    • Starting at 4 feet, the corresponding values are listed below each diagram (didn't do 1-3 feet because the images there leave pretty much zero guesswork on POA)
    • A table of value to ball equivalents
    • A table of 20-60 foot values (including half values)
  • Side 2
    • 10 - 20 foot diagrams (in 2 foot increments)
    • Corresponding values for each hash/ball (no half values as that'd be a lot of numbers, and you should be able to deduce on the fly what it'd mean if you split the difference between two hashes)

By removing the rows of data inside 20 feet, I think it makes the table easier to use. And I don't think it hurts with putts inside 20 feet, as you still have the values next to each increment on the diagram.

At first glance it might look a little busy. But one you understand how it's laid out, I think it'll be quick to use and get to exactly the data and/or diagram you need for a given putt.

385222535_DiagramwithChart.jpg.c3e5009ebdb7bbb00fa682a9cc1d966b.jpg

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, SE Gamer said:

Appreciate the feedback. And agree that the chart/diagram can't be too complex. 

I messed around with it a bit last night. Ultimately landed on something that can be printed off and will fit inside a standard scorecard holder (you know those fancy leather looking things). I printed it on a sheet of card stock and will likely laminate it.

Layout is as follows...

• Side 1
    • 1 - 10 foot diagrams
    • Starting at 4 feet, the corresponding values are listed below each diagram (didn't do 1-3 feet because the images there leave pretty much zero guesswork on POA)
    • A table of value to ball equivalents
    • A table of 20-60 foot values (including half values)
  • Side 2
    • 10 - 20 foot diagrams (in 2 foot increments)
    • Corresponding values for each hash/ball (no half values as that'd be a lot of numbers, and you should be able to deduce on the fly what it'd mean if you split the difference between two hashes)

By removing the rows of data inside 20 feet, I think it makes the table easier to use. And I don't think it hurts with putts inside 20 feet, as you still have the values next to each increment on the diagram.

At first glance it might look a little busy. But one you understand how it's laid out, I think it'll be quick to use and get to exactly the data and/or diagram you need for a given putt.

385222535_DiagramwithChart.jpg.c3e5009ebdb7bbb00fa682a9cc1d966b.jpg

What kind of file is this? Something you can send via email? I wanted to put something in a scorecard holder as well but you've pretty much beat me to it lol

• Like 2

On 3/6/2023 at 8:09 PM, Z1ggy16 said:

What kind of file is this? Something you can send via email? I wanted to put something in a scorecard holder as well but you've pretty much beat me to it lol

Currently in a powerpoint. And would love for someone else to try it out. I printed it as follows.

1. Select one slide to print
  2. Scale to 65% for US size holders (4.6" x 7.8"), and 55% for Japan size holders (4" x 6.3")
  3. Print
  4. Select other slide to print
  5. Scale to 65% for US size holders (4.6" x 7.8"), and 55% for Japan size holders (4" x 6.3")
  6. Place printed sheet back in the printer
  7. Print on reverse side

Might want to experiment with some cheap paper before using nice card stock. But if you follow the above, I can't imagine it'll print out differently than what I ended up with.

Also since it's in powerpoint, you can edit/adjust as you see fit. For instance, maybe you don't like the value to ball table. Just delete it 🙂

Diagram 2ft Increments.pptx

Edited by SE Gamer
Minor Instruction Adjustments for Scale Printing
  • Thanks 2

Quick summary of my first impressions and thoughts on the marker

- Pretty easy to use, I wasn't sitting there trying to align my ball perfectly on an index line like I thought

- I discovered that the hardest part was actually aligning the red center line to the center of the cup

- Not a big deal if you're putting last, you have probably well over a minute to check it. Where it was stressful was when I was first to putt. One hole I had like a 20 footer and I had to realign it 3 times, I felt like maybe the ppl I was playing with were annoyed? maybe in my head.

- This course has mostly very subtle breaks and are controlled mostly by the landscape and not the green itself unless it's very obvious. I played mostly index line 1 and 2.

- I felt a little uncomfortable because I no longer had a POA to look at right before I hit my putt but just the line on my ball. I still think I want to reference the actual POA, whether it be in a book or step behind the ball and try to guess how far outside the cup I am.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SE Gamer said:

Currently in a powerpoint. And would love for someone else to try it out. I printed it as follows.

2. Scale to 60%
  3. Print
  5. Scale to 60%
  7. Print on reverse side

Might want to experiment with some cheap paper before using nice card stock. But if you follow the above, I can't imagine it'll print out differently than what I ended up with.

Also since it's in powerpoint, you can edit/adjust as you see fit. For instance, maybe you don't like the value to ball table. Just delete it 🙂

Diagram 2ft Increments.pptx 969.14 kB · 0 downloads

Cool thanks. I'll have to cross reference the inch values with the table I have to see what stimp it's closest to. I might need to make several sheets, 1 for each stimp reading, although that's maybe excessive.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

Cool thanks. I'll have to cross reference the inch values with the table I have to see what stimp it's closest to. I might need to make several sheets, 1 for each stimp reading, although that's maybe excessive.

No problem! Or you could potentially figure out a conversion percentage based off stimp (if you're really good on the fly with math, lol).

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, SE Gamer said:

No problem! Or you could potentially figure out a conversion percentage based off stimp (if you're really good on the fly with math, lol).

More or less it's +/-10% per "1 stimp". I could do that in my head as long as I knew what the base calculation from your sheets are closest to. Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Z1ggy16 said:

- Pretty easy to use, I wasn't sitting there trying to align my ball perfectly on an index line like I thought

- I discovered that the hardest part was actually aligning the red center line to the center of the cup

- Not a big deal if you're putting last, you have probably well over a minute to check it. Where it was stressful was when I was first to putt. One hole I had like a 20 footer and I had to realign it 3 times, I felt like maybe the ppl I was playing with were annoyed? maybe in my head.

- This course has mostly very subtle breaks and are controlled mostly by the landscape and not the green itself unless it's very obvious. I played mostly index line 1 and 2.

- I felt a little uncomfortable because I no longer had a POA to look at right before I hit my putt but just the line on my ball. I still think I want to reference the actual POA, whether it be in a book or step behind the ball and try to guess how far outside the cup I am.

I wonder if it would be nice to make a high tech version with a laser for the middle red line. Point at flagstick. This could help get better at alignment as practice. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SuperBombin said:

I wonder if it would be nice to make a high tech version with a laser for the middle red line. Point at flagstick. This could help get better at alignment as practice. 

Might as well go all in and make a laser that toggles between each line 🙂 

But it is a good thought. And if you look back a page or so, you'll see the post where I used a laser to verify the real world POA matched what I mocked up in CAD. And that exercise also illustrated that getting it lined up at the hole has a margin of error.

Almost wonder if the ideal way is to line it up when the flag is still in (might not always be reasonable depending on who you're playing with). 

Also not sure if a laser would be legal. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, aypeeone said:

Just happened to stumble upon this thread but love what you’re doing @SE Gamer If there are any still in your latest batch or upcoming, I’d love to pick one up from you to try out. 

Thanks! All from the current batch are claimed (and shipping out tomorrow). I have a few guys on a list for the next batch. Just started it today. Shoot me a PM and we can get one reserved for you!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Z1ggy16 said:

Had to wait until I caught a second to respond to some of the above.

On the topic of aligning at the cup, and as I mentioned in another post, there's going to be a bit of learning curve to get good at it. Not sure if maybe it'd be easiest to mark your ball initially when the pin is in. Maybe that'll make it a little easier to index at the center of the cup?

Glad that the actual alignment when placing your ball back down wasn't as difficult as you'd anticipated and that you thought it was pretty easy to use. In playing around with it at home, I've found the same. And fortunately at close-ish distances, there's a little margin for error. Although the further you're putting from, the bigger the potential margin of error. 

As far as the POA, that's a really good point. While reading and aligning might be quick and easy (i.e. it's a subtle break, I'm going to index it off line #1). I too think it'd be odd to not have a POA reference near the hole. Hopefully the scorecard holder printout will completely remedy that. As you can quickly figure out the POA based on the distance and the indexing mark you selected. 

Looking forward to hearing about your next round. Hoping the weather is nice enough here soon so that I can get out there.

19 minutes ago, sonvolt22 said:

SE,

Thanks for the powerpoint file. Can't wait for it to warmup here in NY and put it to good use.

You're welcome! Took a couple iterations between tables and diagrams, but I think we finally landed on the ideal solution. Thanks to some great feedback from the group.

Hope everyone who's picked up a marker finds the file as well. @Z1ggy16 Not sure how it'd be best to bring awareness to the file being out there. Maybe you can link it in the OP?

• Like 1

On 3/7/2023 at 8:12 AM, SE Gamer said:

You're welcome! Took a couple iterations between tables and diagrams, but I think we finally landed on the ideal solution. Thanks to some great feedback from the group.

Hope everyone who's picked up a marker finds the file as well. @Z1ggy16 Not sure how it'd be best to bring awareness to the file being out there. Maybe you can link it in the OP?

im playing Saturday and will let you know how it works. 

on your chart in the PowerPoint I just want to confirm these distances are from the edge of the cup?

also, you have the halved on your chart. What’s that for?

39 minutes ago, sheppick.dan said:

im playing Saturday and will let you know how it works. 

on your chart in the PowerPoint I just want to confirm these distances are from the edge of the cup?

also, you have the halved on your chart. What’s that for?

Awesome! Did you receive your marker already?

Correct, everything in the PPT file is from the edge of the hole. The first table I posted (maybe a few pages back) was from the center of the hole. 

The halved values are if you "split the difference" between two hash marks. I have a full table from 1 to 60 feet with the halved values as well. But in the PPT file, you'll only find halved values from 20-60 feet. I figured inside 20 feet it'd be easy enough to do some quick math in your head to estimate what the halved values would be. 

Edited by SE Gamer

Got my scorecard holder(s) delivered today. Ordered two different models. One being a "Japan" size, and the other a "US" size. The Japan version is smaller, at roughly 4" x 6.3". And the US version being roughly 4.6" x 7.8", which is the one I'll be keeping.

I adjusted the scaling in the post where I shared the powerpoint file. Bumping it up to 65% scale if you go with a US size holder. If you elect to go with the smaller Japan size, the scaling when you print it would need to be set closer to 55%. 

Now I need to figure out what else I should carry in this holder thing, lol. Between my GPS app and laser rangefinder, I've got anything relating to distance covered. Maybe I'll do a month trial of Golflogix and print off green slope diagrams for the courses I play most often. 

For folks who might already be using a scorecard/yardage book holder, what all do you carry in it?

1857728232_ScorecardHolder.jpg.60efdb146c94cfb25f3a79f1f08e94ce.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SE Gamer said:

Awesome! Did you receive your marker already?

Correct, everything in the PPT file is from the edge of the hole. The first table I posted (maybe a few pages back) was from the center of the hole. 

The halved values are if you "split the difference" between two hash marks. I have a full table from 1 to 60 feet with the halved values as well. But in the PPT file, you'll only find halved values from 20-60 feet. I figured inside 20 feet it'd be easy enough to do some quick math in your head to estimate what the halved values would be. 

I haven't checked the mail yet. I will check it today. I am hopeful it is here but if not today I am sure it'll be here by friday!

Great, thank you for the information! I appreciate it!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SE Gamer said:

Got my scorecard holder(s) delivered today. Ordered two different models. One being a "Japan" size, and the other a "US" size. The Japan version is smaller, at roughly 4" x 6.3". And the US version being roughly 4.6" x 7.8", which is the one I'll be keeping.

I adjusted the scaling in the post where I shared the powerpoint file. Bumping it up to 65% scale if you go with a US size holder. If you elect to go with the smaller Japan size, the scaling when you print it would need to be set closer to 55%. 

Now I need to figure out what else I should carry in this holder thing, lol. Between my GPS app and laser rangefinder, I've got anything relating to distance covered. Maybe I'll do a month trial of Golflogix and print off green slope diagrams for the courses I play most often. 

For folks who might already be using a scorecard/yardage book holder, what all do you carry in it?

1857728232_ScorecardHolder.jpg.60efdb146c94cfb25f3a79f1f08e94ce.jpg

I have a card size distance in my pocket that I am going to put in my yardage book cover. It will have Carry distance for full, 3/4 and half shots just for quick reference. I have slowly been working on getting those dialed in with trackman data. I have new irons and fairway woods showing up in the next week or two so I plan to get it really dialed in then.

In the past I have had a green book that showed % of slope. I will probably start trying to do that but haven't come up with a good format that was "accurate"

• Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 5:13 PM, SE Gamer said:

2. Scale to 65% for US size holders (4.6" x 7.8"), and 55% for Japan size holders (4" x 6.3")
  3. Print
  5. Scale to 65% for US size holders (4.6" x 7.8"), and 55% for Japan size holders (4" x 6.3")
  7. Print on reverse side

Diagram 2ft Increments.pptx 969.14 kB · 12 downloads

It doesn't seem to allow me to shrink it to 65%. Any chance you can save it with that size so that its pre-made ready to print?

6 minutes ago, sheppick.dan said:

It doesn't seem to allow me to shrink it to 65%. Any chance you can save it with that size so that its pre-made ready to print?

Interesting. Are you printing straight from powerpoint? There's a default selection (Scale to fit paper) you need to change in order to edit the scale. When that box is checked, the option to edit the scale will be greyed out.

899861539_ScreenShot2023-03-09at11_12_52AM.png.33ce8b4d202e062edd616b5949a5f03a.png