2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2023 Bettinardi Studio Stock Putters

HarborMike

I just picked up the SS9 Spud neck and I'm in love, just may be the perfect putter for me. My stroke has the slightest of arcs... typical toe hang from a plumbers neck is too much, but a perfectly face balanced putter is not enough. With either of these types I feel like I'm always fighting the putter on the backstroke, manipulating it to make that perfect stroke each time which leads to inconsistency. The SS9 Spud has the slightest of toe hangs.. 1/8" so it's nearly face balanced but not quite. If feels perfect, no manipulation required by me, very consistent smooth stroke through the ball each time without a lot of effort or concentration, the putter is doing it on it's own. I really, really like this one, not to mention the milling is like artwork, it's a beauty. Feel is fantastic, just so pure. I've had 4 other Betti's before.. SS8, BB8W, SS17 and QB12... all great putters, but this SS9 fits my stroke better than any of the others I've tried.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dave2golf2 said:

I just picked up the SS9 Spud neck and I'm in love, just may be the perfect putter for me. My stroke has the slightest of arcs... typical toe hang from a plumbers neck is too much, but a perfectly face balanced putter is not enough. With either of these types I feel like I'm always fighting the putter on the backstroke, manipulating it to make that perfect stroke each time which leads to inconsistency. The SS9 Spud has the slightest of toe hangs.. 1/8" so it's nearly face balanced but not quite. If feels perfect, no manipulation required by me, very consistent smooth stroke through the ball each time without a lot of effort or concentration, the putter is doing it on it's own. I really, really like this one, not to mention the milling is like artwork, it's a beauty. Feel is fantastic, just so pure. I've had 4 other Betti's before.. SS8, BB8W, SS17 and QB12... all great putters, but this SS9 fits my stroke better than any of the others I've tried.

Great looking putter. I have eyed the QB6 for the same reasons you like the SS9 — 1/8 toe hang, single bend, nice cavity width.

I forgot they have the SS9 in spud neck. Is that one between the BB8W and QB6 in terms of how wide the blade is? (Front to back). It looks that way, though it could be about the same width as the BB8W. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

On 6/27/2023 at 4:44 PM, dmeeksDC said:

Great looking putter. I have eyed the QB6 for the same reasons you like the SS9 — 1/8 toe hang, single bend, nice cavity width.

I forgot they have the SS9 in spud neck. Is that one between the BB8W and QB6 in terms of how wide the blade is? (Front to back). It looks that way, though it could be about the same width as the BB8W. 

Much closer to the BB8W in terms of width, not nearly as wide or boxy looking as the QB6. looks to me that it's actually narrower than the BB8W which is a good thing. I'm not a fan of those blades that are too wide - this one slots nicely in that sweet spot between being too wide and too narrow. I took a top down photo to show it better, but those photos I took on the practice green look amazing! 

Scotty Cameron tried to achieve the same thing with the new Newport 2.5+. I compared the SS9 and the Scotty side by side on the practice green and for me the SS9 felt way better than the Scotty, looked better, felt better balanced with a higher MOI, and was absolutely more forgiving on less than perfect strikes.

Back in the 90's I had a Scotty Cameron Catalina which also had a spud neck. I loved that putter and sincerely regret selling it (I sold it only to help fund the cost of my wife's engagement ring, felt like the right thing to do at the time lol). I think I putted better with that Catalina than any of the tons of putters I've had since then. I was actually thinking of rebuying another one on E-Bay until I found this SS9. 

I had the BB8W plumbers neck and liked it okay, but it was teetering on being too wide for my taste. Also the spud neck on the SS9 makes all the difference in the world between the two in terms of balance and consistent face contact. This "could" be the last putter I ever purchase, hard to improve on this one, it's got everything I've always wanted in a putter (except for a magnetic head cover).

IMG-0097.jpg

IMG-0096.jpg

IMG-0095.jpg

IMG-0093.jpg

IMG-0094.jpg

Edited by Dave2golf2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dave2golf2 said:

Much closer to the BB8W in terms of width, not nearly as wide or boxy looking as the QB6. looks to me that it's actually narrower than the BB8W which is a good thing. I'm not a fan of those blades that are too wide - this one slots nicely in that sweet spot between being too wide and too narrow. I took a top down photo to show it better, but those photos I took on the practice green look amazing! 

Scotty Cameron tried to achieve the same thing with the new Newport 2.5+. I compared the SS9 and the Scotty side by side on the practice green and for me the SS9 felt way better than the Scotty, looked better, felt better balanced with a higher MOI, and was absolutely more forgiving on less than perfect strikes.

Back in the 90's I had a Scotty Cameron Catalina which also had a spud neck. I loved that putter and sincerely regret selling it, I think I putted better with that than any of the tons of putters I've had since then. I was actually thinking of rebuying another one on E-Bay until I found this SS9. 

I had the BB8W plumbers neck and liked it okay, but the spud neck on this one makes all the difference in the world between the two in terms of balance and consistent face contact. This "could" be the last putter I ever purchase, hard to improve on this one, it's got everything I've always wanted in a putter (except for a magnetic head cover).

IMG-0097.jpg

IMG-0096.jpg

IMG-0095.jpg

IMG-0093.jpg

IMG-0094.jpg

Beautiful. Looks so good in the photos. Thanks for posting. One other underrated detail about Bettinardis — I really like how on some of his blades he moves the hosel well off the heel and closer to the cavity. Makes a positive difference for me at address. Perfect on the SS9 spud. This one is a contender for what I want. 

I have a mallet I really like (Makefield V-S) but am also going to buy a blade or a wider blade. I will go with a different putter depending on the course and how I am rolling it. There is a limit — the triple wide Odyssey is too wide for me — but wider than standard, more like the SS9 or QB15. I do like the QB6 so it would likely be in the running too. I have yet to see an SS9 spud neck in a store but they do have the plumber’s neck. The head looks great. Looks like the spud neck on the SS9 is the same as the neck on this year’s QB6.  That neck seems to fit me well. 

I did note that on the Bettinardi site they say the SS9 is perfect for a slight arc and the QB6 is perfect for straight back straight through, but both are same weight, same toe hang and same single bend shaft. I would think either works for my slight arc. 

Anyone get their hands on the new SS14? I think it's only the second time they've released this blade (at least OTR) since like 2013. Looks nicer than the SS8 from 2021 in my opinion. Would love to see some comparison pictures with a Newport2/Anser2 to get an idea on the size (I haven't seen any in person at my local shops)

(I posted this question in the other studio stock thread by mistake, apologies for the repost)

Tsi2 (10*) AV RAW Blue 65TX 45.5"

G425 Max (14.5*) Ventus Blue 7X 42.25"

Apex UW (21*) Ventus Blue 7X 41"

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

RTX-6 56*-60* Nippon 120X

On 7/5/2023 at 9:53 PM, Don Miguel said:

Placed an order for the SS16. I have a BB46 that I like and wanted to try the roll control face. I’m giving it the Freddie Couples counter balance treatment… looking forward to it.

Curious to hear your comparisons between the SS16 and the BB46 once you’ve had a chance to roll your new SS16 a bit! Love the look of both of those models. 

Driver: Srixon ZX5 LS 8.5 - Hzrdus Black Gen 4

3 Wood: Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White 75

Irons: Srixon ZX5 (3-P) - Modus 115

Wedges: Cleveland CBX Zipcore - Modus Wedge

Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Rossie DB

19 minutes ago, Brentwood said:

Curious to hear your comparisons between the SS16 and the BB46 once you’ve had a chance to roll your new SS16 a bit! Love the look of both of those models. 

I’ll report back when it comes in. I’m curious to test the roll control

face. By all accounts it’s a softer feel with better roll. We’ll see…

• Like 1

TSR3 Driver 8.25*
TSR3 3W 15*

TSR2 7W 20*
Miura TC-201 4-PW
NCW 55*, 60*
Bettinardi SS16
TP5x

Alright guys, I am going to give my thoughts (both good and bad) after practicing with and gaming my SS35 ~15-20 rounds. 

The background is that I bought the SS35 a few months back and was infatuated with the unique head shape (really like mid-mallets), plus it had a short slant and toe hang accommodating a slight arc. It came down to the SS35 or holding out for the super select GOLO 6 but I really liked the roll control face (RCF) milling on the Betti. Anyways, I pulled the trigger and purchased this beautiful putter that sets up so well but unfortunately the honeymoon phase is over as is the case eventually with all my clubs. Regardless, I have to blame myself when I've missed some incredibly frustrating putts but some things that have become more noticeable after practicing/playing with this putter over the last few months are (1 con, 1 neutral, 1 pro):

1. The head feels very heavy to me, but I assume that static head weight of 358g isn't atypical for a 34" putter? I don't know if its some sort of balance or what exactly but I have had a tough time with the head weight (I installed a new SS grip recently and am getting the super stroke counter weights today, hoping that will mitigate this). Once again not trying to be the Indian blaming the arrow but it seems like this heaviness has affected my stroke consistency to some extent. Looking back, I would say I preferred the GOLO 6 weight balance comparatively speaking.
  2. The head is far more compact appearing at address than what I was used to. Like previously mentioned in these studio stock forums, this could have to deal with where the neck is located in relation to the head and not necessarily the actual size of the head from heel to toe (I will include photos of the SS35 at address and next to the GOLO 6 to illustrate this point). Another neutral observation is that this particular model definitely favors a moderate arc in the stroke. I don't necessarily feel like my minimal/slight arc stroke is "working against" the putter but I do concur that the setup favors some arc, as advertised.
  3. The roll control face is magnificent. I am a true believer that Bettinardi knows what they're doing when it comes to these face milling options. The RCF puts a roll on the ball that I was not previously used to (in a good way). If you like a softer feel, I strongly suggest at least trying it out in a store regardless of which studio stock model is available. Even from the fringe, the ball gets rolling quickly and stays on line (if you saw my approach game, you'd understand how often I putt from off the green). 

Overall, these are my most significant (negative, neutral, positive) observations and takeaways. The bottom line is that I need to practice and get better. If I could change anything though, I would probably be better fit with a 1/8 or 1/4 toe hang (SS35 is 1/3) and I might have a little more confidence inspired if the head were a little bit less compact appearing at address but these are specific to me. Of course, I'd be lying if I told you I haven't thought about the SS16 model or the GOLO 6 but that's because we're WRXers after all. I hope this long write-up provided some sort of utility to someone out there! 

IMG_6464.jpeg

IMG_6465.jpeg

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Brentwood said:

Alright guys, I am going to give my thoughts (both good and bad) after practicing with and gaming my SS35 ~15-20 rounds. 

The background is that I bought the SS35 a few months back and was infatuated with the unique head shape (really like mid-mallets), plus it had a short slant and toe hang accommodating a slight arc. It came down to the SS35 or holding out for the super select GOLO 6 but I really liked the roll control face (RCF) milling on the Betti. Anyways, I pulled the trigger and purchased this beautiful putter that sets up so well but unfortunately the honeymoon phase is over as is the case eventually with all my clubs. Regardless, I have to blame myself when I've missed some incredibly frustrating putts but some things that have become more noticeable after practicing/playing with this putter over the last few months are (1 con, 1 neutral, 1 pro):

1. The head feels very heavy to me, but I assume that static head weight of 358g isn't atypical for a 34" putter? I don't know if its some sort of balance or what exactly but I have had a tough time with the head weight (I installed a new SS grip recently and am getting the super stroke counter weights today, hoping that will mitigate this). Once again not trying to be the Indian blaming the arrow but it seems like this heaviness has affected my stroke consistency to some extent. Looking back, I would say I preferred the GOLO 6 weight balance comparatively speaking.
  2. The head is far more compact appearing at address than what I was used to. Like previously mentioned in these studio stock forums, this could have to deal with where the neck is located in relation to the head and not necessarily the actual size of the head from heel to toe (I will include photos of the SS35 at address and next to the GOLO 6 to illustrate this point). Another neutral observation is that this particular model definitely favors a moderate arc in the stroke. I don't necessarily feel like my minimal/slight arc stroke is "working against" the putter but I do concur that the setup favors some arc, as advertised.
  3. The roll control face is magnificent. I am a true believer that Bettinardi knows what they're doing when it comes to these face milling options. The RCF puts a roll on the ball that I was not previously used to (in a good way). If you like a softer feel, I strongly suggest at least trying it out in a store regardless of which studio stock model is available. Even from the fringe, the ball gets rolling quickly and stays on line (if you saw my approach game, you'd understand how often I putt from off the green). 

Overall, these are my most significant (negative, neutral, positive) observations and takeaways. The bottom line is that I need to practice and get better. If I could change anything though, I would probably be better fit with a 1/8 or 1/4 toe hang (SS35 is 1/3) and I might have a little more confidence inspired if the head were a little bit less compact appearing at address but these are specific to me. Of course, I'd be lying if I told you I haven't thought about the SS16 model or the GOLO 6 but that's because we're WRXers after all. I hope this long write-up provided some sort of utility to someone out there! 

IMG_6464.jpeg

IMG_6465.jpeg

If you really do love the Bettinardi face what about the SS16? Shape is bigger than the SS35, closer in look to the Golo 6, toe hang is closer to what you want. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

6 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

If you really do love the Bettinardi face what about the SS16? Shape is bigger than the SS35, closer in look to the Golo 6, toe hang is closer to what you want. 

Hey Matt, you are spot on in terms of the SS16 and I have certainly thought about this model for the advantages of the characteristics you mentioned. Unfortunately, at the time when I was trying out all of these putters, the SS16 wasn't available at the store. Had it been available to try, it very well might have been the model that went home with me.

• Like 1

Im a huge Bettinardi fan, also thought their heads are heavy as well. One thing I can recommend is getting an upgraded shaft. 

Stock betti steel feels whippy now that I used others. The 10gm you knock off the shaft while getting stouter might be a big win for most. 

The fujikura MC putter shaft made my slant neck ss7 incredibly addicting to use. The KBS double bend is really good as well. I’d also try a heavier grip to get a little more counter balance. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Whatnogarnish said:

Im a huge Bettinardi fan, also thought their heads are heavy as well. One thing I can recommend is getting an upgraded shaft. 

Stock betti steel feels whippy now that I used others. The 10gm you knock off the shaft while getting stouter might be a big win for most. 

The fujikura MC putter shaft made my slant neck ss7 incredibly addicting to use. The KBS double bend is really good as well. I’d also try a heavier grip to get a little more counter balance. 

Yes! Another player who loves the Bettinardi/Fuji MC combo! It is unreal. 

I don’t think the Bettinardi heads are heavy. Heads at 358g are not what I’d call heavy, but something at 370-375g would be. The Queen Bee heads are usually 360-362g or so. But heads can feel heavier or lighter based on the shaft and grip for sure. A light grip can make the head feel heavy.

For me the Fuji MC extra firm gives me the feel I like. 

• 8 months later...
On 7/7/2023 at 12:55 AM, Don Miguel said:

I’ll report back when it comes in. I’m curious to test the roll control

face. By all accounts it’s a softer feel with better roll. We’ll see…

Have you had a chane to give these a good side by side? I had the bb46 and loved it, but wanted a larger head profile. SS16 seems perfect.

Callaway Rogue ST LS / Ventus Black 6x

Callaway Epic Speed 4 wood / Ventus Blue 8x

Srixon ZX Utility 19 / MMT 105tx

Srixon ZX7 4-PW / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50-54-58 / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Scotty Cameron California Monterey / BGT Stability Tour

17 hours ago, kendall.boudreau said:

Have you had a chane to give these a good side by side? I had the bb46 and loved it, but wanted a larger head profile. SS16 seems perfect.

I have. The two heads setup to the ball differently to my eye. I prefer the SS16 setup. The head size of the SS16 isn’t significantly bigger than the BB46 (see picture).

As far as feel and roll, feel is softer on the SS16 but not insert soft (just right for me). I don’t see a noticeable difference in roll between the two. 

All in all, I prefer the SS16 look and feel. I do wish it was offered in a black head color, but it’s not a dealbreaker.

IMG_7839.jpeg

TSR3 Driver 8.25*
TSR3 3W 15*

TSR2 7W 20*
Miura TC-201 4-PW
NCW 55*, 60*
Bettinardi SS16
TP5x