2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Is this Ping Anser worth anything?

spiers98

Hello,

After clearing out my Grandad's large golf collection I came across this Ping Anser and was looking for more information on it and if it holds any value. Done some research of my own but would like to get some thoughts from more knowledgable people.

" U.S PAT NO D20 722

KARSTEN MFG. CORP

PHOENIX. ARIZ 85029

MADE IN USA "

Thanks 🙂

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

This is a Dalehead Anser and cast from the original Scottsdale Anser mold.  These are collectible and this one looks to be in terrific condition.  It also appears to be one that was sold by Slazenger (shaft band depicts this). Slazenger Pings we’re all European.  There is some value to this putter as the Scottsdale Anders, Karsten CO. Anders and Dalehead Ansers were always the ones collectors wanted (generally in this order).  As for today’s prices, not as much as in the 80s or 90s.  I would contact Bobby Grace for a better estimate on price or so a search on eBay.   Keep in mind this Dalehead Anser is in terrific condition (would like to see top line, face and sole) and this is a model sold by Slazenger for the European market.  This should being more than the standard US Dalehead Anser.  

• Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

9 hours ago, RobotDoctor said:

This is a Dalehead Anser and cast from the original Scottsdale Anser mold.  These are collectible and this one looks to be in terrific condition.  It also appears to be one that was sold by Slazenger (shaft band depicts this). Slazenger Pings we’re all European.  There is some value to this putter as the Scottsdale Anders, Karsten CO. Anders and Dalehead Ansers were always the ones collectors wanted (generally in this order).  As for today’s prices, not as much as in the 80s or 90s.  I would contact Bobby Grace for a better estimate on price or so a search on eBay.   Keep in mind this Dalehead Anser is in terrific condition (would like to see top line, face and sole) and this is a model sold by Slazenger for the European market.  This should being more than the standard US Dalehead Anser.  

Thank you for all of this information. I would never have been able to get all of this on my own. I have attached some pictures of the top, face and sole of the club. I am reluctant to clean the club as I'm not sure if it would damage the metal (unsure of what type it is) and even the value of it if I cleaned it. 

IMG_1881.jpeg.2df5d84fc083c45f2b3d2df1ded9bce0.jpegIMG_1880.jpeg.6c4393ed461fe8ecab361126b3154dfe.jpegIMG_1879.jpeg.723707c7dfe77f742d5151a06638555f.jpeg

28 minutes ago, spiers98 said:

Thank you for all of this information. I would never have been able to get all of this on my own. I have attached some pictures of the top, face and sole of the club. I am reluctant to clean the club as I'm not sure if it would damage the metal (unsure of what type it is) and even the value of it if I cleaned it. 

IMG_1881.jpeg.2df5d84fc083c45f2b3d2df1ded9bce0.jpegIMG_1880.jpeg.6c4393ed461fe8ecab361126b3154dfe.jpegIMG_1879.jpeg.723707c7dfe77f742d5151a06638555f.jpeg

I recommend you do not clean it. Keep it exactly as it is. Note that the Slazenger / Ping shaft label says Made in England. The head says Made in USA. I believe that Ping shipped heads to England where they were assembled and marketed in Europe. 

A clean England shaft labeled rocker sole Dale Head ... WOW!

This putter should not be confused by the other Ping Ansers that were sole stamped SLAZENGER., like the Jack Nicklaus or Gary Player's. 

I would date this very late 1969 or early 1970 since it has a Trade Mark stamped on the PING bumper.

Very rare putter in the US for sure. I wouldn't think Karsten would have sent a ton of putter heads to Slazenger on pretty much a hand shake agreement. He was not big on signing contracts, he was more into helping golfers play better and exposure.

Thanks for sharing.

Let me know if you ever want to change the grip because I have the same NOS Pro Only's.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, weakputt said:

I recommend you do not clean it. Keep it exactly as it is. Note that the Slazenger / Ping shaft label says Made in England. The head says Made in USA. I believe that Ping shipped heads to England where they were assembled and marketed in Europe. 

This putter should not be confused by the other Ping Ansers that were sole stamped SLAZENGER., like the Jack Nicklaus or Gary Player's. 

I would date this very late 1969 or early 1970 since it has a Trade Mark stamped on the PING bumper.

Very rare putter in the US for sure. I wouldn't think Karsten would have sent a ton of putter heads to Slazenger on pretty much a hand shake agreement. He was not big on signing contracts, he was more into helping golfers play better and exposure.

Thanks for sharing.

Let me know if you ever want to change the grip because I have the same NOS Pro Only's.

Thanks for the reply. I'm from Scotland so makes sense that it is a European Anser. Do you know a ball park figure of what these are worth? I'm in two minds of whether to sell it or keep it and play it. It is in very good condition and like you said the shaft is immaculate. If I were to keep it and play it I would need to change the grip.

Scottish Ping fan/collector here.  A very nice putter you have there, in great condition.  I'd say it's worth about £150-175.  Ebay is a good guide and one in good but not as good as yours condition sold for £127 less than 24 hours ago.  So, not megabucks but a decent value.  These old Ansers sometimes get snapped up and sometimes sit on sale for a while; the market isn't super hot on them.

• PING G400 Max 9* Tensei Orange 60 S
  • PING Anser 17 / 20* hybrids Graphite Design 85S
  • Miura PP-9003 Straight Neck 4-PW Nippon NS Pro 750 GH wrap tech
  • Miura 52, 56 forged wedges / PING Eye 2 LW Beryllium copper
  • PING Anser 5+ Beryllium copper (1991)

Putter bench:

• Nordberg Halvdan custom / PING Cushin Scottsdale zip / PING Jim Wells Zing 5KS SN / PING Vault Ketsch TR 400g CB, etc.

1 minute ago, spiers98 said:

Thanks for the reply. I'm from Scotland so makes sense that it is a European Anser. Do you know a ball park figure of what these are worth? I'm in two minds of whether to sell it or keep it and play it. It is in very good condition and like you said the shaft is immaculate. If I were to keep it and play it I would need to change the grip.

I am an armature collector, so I would not play it, but I am bias. Plus if it came from a family Estate I would have a hard time selling it.

There are so many early Ping Ansers out there that may not be Dale Heads but play virtually the same. I play 85020 zip code non Dale Anser from time to time, but don't play my collectables. I really can't tell the difference. Value? It is hard to say, especially in the British Market.

All I can compare it with is a few Anser's that I have sold with the Green PingMan Labels which indicted they were sent to the Asain/Japanese Markets and they commanded about $200.00 in added value from the going rare of a USA labeled Anser. No matter the Model, let a lone a Dale Head Rocker Sole.

Don't change the grip. Think about it a while and do some more research.

Find the Ping Eye 2 putter conversation going on currently. Some interesting similarities.

6 minutes ago, ColinKelvin said:

Scottish Ping fan/collector here.  A very nice putter you have there, in great condition.  I'd say it's worth about £150-175.  Ebay is a good guide and one in good but not as good as yours condition sold for £127 less than 24 hours ago.  So, not megabucks but a decent value.  These old Ansers sometimes get snapped up and sometimes sit on sale for a while; the market isn't super hot on them.

Hello fellow Scotsman. Thanks for the reply. I'll have a look on ebay at recently sold but thanks for the ball park figure. Bit more than I was expecting. Trouble was I just didn't know what I should be searching for to find similarly previously sold putters.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, weakputt said:

I am an armature collector, so I would not play it, but I am bias. Plus if it came from a family Estate I would have a hard time selling it.

There are so many early Ping Ansers out there that may not be Dale Heads but play virtually the same. I play 85020 zip code non Dale Anser from time to time, but don't play my collectables. I really can't tell the difference. Value? It is hard to say, especially in the British Market.

All I can compare it with is a few Anser's that I have sold with the Green PingMan Labels which indicted they were sent to the Asain/Japanese Markets and they commanded about $200.00 in added value from the going rare of a USA labeled Anser. No matter the Model, let a lone a Dale Head Rocker Sole.

Find the Ping Eye 2 putter conversation going on currently. Some interesting similarities.

Yeah I think the fact it came from a family member does make it hard to part with so that most likely won't happen. I really do like the condition it is in and wouldn't want to affect that either. Will have a look at that thread thanks

• Like 1

Keep it. Play it. Your Grandad would be pleased. 

I know I would.

• Like 4

TEE C721 10.5 Ventus Red 5R (with 10g lead tape under the stripes)

Adams Idea Pro 20, 23, 26 Aldila VS Proto 80S

MP32 6-PW DGR300, +1"

MP223 GW DGS200, +1"

Cleveland 588 RTG TA 51 DG wedge flex

Vokey 256.12 DG wedge flex

1969 Ping Anser 85029 34" long step

golf..."can't be mastered, can only be played"

12 hours ago, spiers98 said:

Do not clean the patina off the putter.  The patina on this one is stellar and what collectors and players want.  The metal is manganese bronze.  This is a terrific putter!

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

11 hours ago, weakputt said:

Thanks for sharing.

@weakputtis correct.  The heads are made in the USA.  Not sure this was assembled in the US or Europe but these were sold per agreement with Slazenger.  And no, this putter is not to be confused with the Jack Nicklaus or Gary Player Slazenger Ansers as their names would be stamped on the sole (Nicklaus) or signature engraved on the sole (Player).  Be that as it may, this is a rare putter in the US market and the first of its kind I have ever seen.  But then again I am not a huge Ping collector but have learned a few things about Ping Ansers.

11 hours ago, weakputt said:

85020 Anser ...... Freddie Couples gamed one of those for many years, won the Masters with it and a lot of big tournaments.  Terrific putter.  I have an affinity for the 85020 black band Zing putter.

On 2/20/2023 at 11:42 PM, RobotDoctor said:

Do not clean the patina off the putter.  The patina on this one is stellar and what collectors and players want.  The metal is manganese bronze.  This is a terrific putter!

Certainly won't be cleaning it then. Nice to know its Manganese Bronze as well. What is the key differences between the different materials used for the Ansers? BeNi ect ect?

1 hour ago, spiers98 said:

Certainly won't be cleaning it then. Nice to know its Manganese Bronze as well. What is the key differences between the different materials used for the Ansers? BeNi ect ect?

MgBr is the original material Karsten Solheim used and the softest of the materials.  He then used Stainless Steel and BeCu, both of which which had a slightly crisper feel.  Then came BeNi.  I believe BeNi was also a softer material in terms of feel.  Someone weigh in on the feel of BeNi since I’ve never putted with a putter made of this material.  

My favorite material is BeCu and my favorite model is the Zing.  Unfortunately Ping never made a BeCu Zing.  They did make a BeCu Zing 2 but this version wasn’t to my liking as much as the original.  I’ve owned several Zing putters including a handful of 85020 black band pieces.