best green contour book / app?

What are some good green contour resources available out there? I’ve seen the golf logix books, but are $50/course.  Saw that garmin had it as a premium feature on their app but mixed feedback.  Curious to hear recos!

Edited by AlohaPineapple

🍍 2023 WITB 🍍

Titleist TSR3 9.0* w/ Ventus Black 6x

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 15* w/ Ventus Red 7x

Titleist TSR3 19* w/ Ventus HB Blue 8s

Titleist T200 4-iron w/ Axiom 105x

Artisan LS 720HM 5-PW w/ Modus 115x

Artisan 50*, 56* w/ TT DGS S200

Vokey WW 60* LB-K w/ TT DGS S200

Scotty Cameron Tei3 Newport Two

USGA/GHIN app has a "subscription" feature that offers gps, course maps, and green maps for . I think it's around $30-40 for the year if I'm not mistaken.

I've found it to be pretty accurate, but I primarily use it when I'm playing somewhere I'm not familiar with for blind shots, distances to bunkers/hazards, and etc. Only downside is you obviously have to carry your phone around the whole time.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

USGA/GHIN app has a "subscription" feature that offers gps, course maps, and green maps for . I think it's around $30-40 for the year if I'm not mistaken.

I've found it to be pretty accurate, but I primarily use it when I'm playing somewhere I'm not familiar with for blind shots, distances to bunkers/hazards, and etc. Only downside is you obviously have to carry your phone around the whole time.

$39.99 annual for the GHIN.  It's decent.  I use it occasionally for the greens maps, but usually don't have my phone on during the round.  The greens/"heat" maps look exactly like the golflogix, maybe they are, the ones for my course match the one I got from my course (they gave them a few samples on spec).  

Here are pics of Whistling Straits Irish with the "heat map" for the green.

717DD476-FAEA-418A-A5E8-D7F918610372.png

0FCBE9FA-97A1-4505-A91B-05BC02DB0F66.png

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

$39.99 annual for the GHIN.  It's decent.  I use it occasionally for the greens maps, but usually don't have my phone on during the round.  The greens/"heat" maps look exactly like the golflogix, maybe they are, the ones for my course match the one I got from my course (they gave them a few samples on spec).  

Yeah I don't remember where I read it, but I do remember reading they use the same software/maps as golflogix. I don't really like having my phone out on the course either so like I said I really only use it if I'm someplace unfamiliar and want to know what is in front of me (blind shots and etc.). In two years I've probably looked at the green map feature maybe 5-6 times 🤣.

That being said... You can do the GHIN one for $40/year and download unlimited courses, or you can spend that same amount each time for a physical book from someplace like strackaline or golflogix. Seems like a no brainer to me.

4 minutes ago, edwelly said:

Thanks for this info. I was not aware there is an app for this service. I currently pay for a GHIN membership. I hope to try out the app this weekend.

FYI it's an additional feature you pay extra for. It's not included with a standard GHIN membership.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

FYI it's an additional feature you pay extra for. It's not included with a standard GHIN membership.

Thank you. I am learning all kinds of things today 🙂

I have been using the Grint for a while now and was going to sign up this spring. May just sign up with this. 

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Driver
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ FW

Srixon ZX5/ZX7

Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*

Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide

On 2/21/2023 at 1:00 PM, Abh159 said:

Yeah I don't remember where I read it, but I do remember reading they use the same software/maps as golflogix. I don't really like having my phone out on the course either so like I said I really only use it if I'm someplace unfamiliar and want to know what is in front of me (blind shots and etc.). In two years I've probably looked at the green map feature maybe 5-6 times 🤣.

That being said... You can do the GHIN one for $40/year and download unlimited courses, or you can spend that same amount each time for a physical book from someplace like strackaline or golflogix. Seems like a no brainer to me.

I am the same way with my phone, stays in my bag if necessary. I use the Puttview  books. 

Heatmap+Yardages $49

Slope+Yardage $39

Yardage $29

On 2/20/2023 at 5:22 PM, Hawkeye77 said:

Here are pics of Whistling Straits Irish with the "heat map" for the green.

717DD476-FAEA-418A-A5E8-D7F918610372.png

0FCBE9FA-97A1-4505-A91B-05BC02DB0F66.png

That does look exactly like Golflogix. 

I've been wondering the same thing as the OP. Downloaded Golflogix app to see if it'll be worth it (already have Golfshot GPS). Golfshot is better for everything else, but the green books are pretty cool. At $50 a year it's pretty reasonable. 

Are you able to screenshot in the USGA app? Similar to you, I generally don't have my phone really accessible during rounds (use a laser rangefinder). So it'd be great to just print them off and keep them in my scorecard holder. I tried doing a screenshot in the Golflogix app. It worked, but had an alert that if someone continues to do so, it'll do something like deactivate the green maps. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SE Gamer said:

That does look exactly like Golflogix. 

I've been wondering the same thing as the OP. Downloaded Golflogix app to see if it'll be worth it (already have Golfshot GPS). Golfshot is better for everything else, but the green books are pretty cool. At $50 a year it's pretty reasonable. 

Are you able to screenshot in the USGA app? Similar to you, I generally don't have my phone really accessible during rounds (use a laser rangefinder). So it'd be great to just print them off and keep them in my scorecard holder. I tried doing a screenshot in the Golflogix app. It worked, but had an alert that if someone continues to do so, it'll do something like deactivate the green maps. 

Just did!

879DD3DF-23CE-4049-8E05-3EF6AE33A389.png

29 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Just did!

879DD3DF-23CE-4049-8E05-3EF6AE33A389.png

I'm a moron. The original post of your's that I quoted had screenshots in it. Lol.

So, I guess the follow up questions are...

Does it also show you the slope percentages (like golfligix)? And, did it give you a "warning" about taking screenshots of the green views?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SE Gamer said:

I'm a moron. The original post of your's that I quoted had screenshots in it. Lol.

So, I guess the follow up questions are...

Does it also show you the slope percentages (like golfligix)? And, did it give you a "warning" about taking screenshots of the green views?

I’ve never gotten a warning.  The slopes are shown on the “heat map” of the greens with the breaks and color coded as to speed. There is also a separate view with just the break arrows.  But no % numbers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

I’ve never gotten a warning.  The slopes are shown on the “heat map” of the greens with the breaks and color coded as to speed. There is also a separate view with just the break arrows.  But no % numbers.

Nice about no warnings. Kind of a bummer there isn't a settings option to toggle the percents. Which can be done on both the one with arrows or the heat map view within the Golflogix app. But maybe that's how the USGA was able to get to use all the golflogix data in their app. Kind of a "lite" version that still makes it enticing for folks to also pay for the Golflogix app.

18 minutes ago, SE Gamer said:

Nice about no warnings. Kind of a bummer there isn't a settings option to toggle the percents. Which can be done on both the one with arrows or the heat map view within the Golflogix app. But maybe that's how the USGA was able to get to use all the golflogix data in their app. Kind of a "lite" version that still makes it enticing for folks to also pay for the Golflogix app.

I think it’s more about some of the Golflogix features not being rules compliant. 

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

I think it’s more about some of the Golflogix features not being rules compliant. 

Ahh, that could be it as well. As I think the heat maps are tournament legal (as well as the B&W arrow ones). But those that show slope percentages would not be. As well as the putt line feature.

EDIT: Does anyone know whether it's legal to use a heat map "key" in conjunction with heat map green overviews in competition?

Edited by SE Gamer

3 hours ago, ae1985 said:

If you try to do a screenshot of golflogix putting map, the result will be a black spot over the green. They go to great lengths to prevent screenshots of that.

Yeah, just actually got a response back from Golflogix on that topic. Asked if even paid members are locked out of doing screenshots. Which they are. Kind of a bummer for folks who don't like messing with their phone all round.

Also, would be leery of using it in a tournament. As toggling on the slopes is super easy. 

Might have to instead do the USGA app and just live with not having access to the detailed slope numbers at every arrow.

20 minutes ago, SE Gamer said:

Yeah, just actually got a response back from Golflogix on that topic. Asked if even paid members are locked out of doing screenshots. Which they are. Kind of a bummer for folks who don't like messing with their phone all round.

Also, would be leery of using it in a tournament. As toggling on the slopes is super easy. 

Might have to instead do the USGA app and just live with not having access to the detailed slope numbers at every arrow.

I am the same way, I don't want to mess around with the app while I'm playing. I would rather just look at a screenshot of the green slope in a photo gallery. The only way to do that is to take a picture of a tablet with your phone it seems.

27 minutes ago, ae1985 said:

I am the same way, I don't want to mess around with the app while I'm playing. I would rather just look at a screenshot of the green slope in a photo gallery. The only way to do that is to take a picture of a tablet with your phone it seems.

Yep. There's definitely a way to get around it. I get why they would want to lock screenshots for "trial" members. But doesn't make nearly as much sense if you're paying for the yearly sub (and not reposting screenshots publicly). Makes it far less enticing to subscribe. Especially when other apps don't restrict subscribers in the same way. 

Edited by SE Gamer

4 minutes ago, SE Gamer said:

Yep. There's definitely a way to get around with. I get why they would want to lock screenshots for "trial" members. But doesn't make nearly as much sense if you're paying for the yearly sub (and not reposting screenshots publicly). Makes it far less enticing to subscribe. Especially when other apps don't restrict subscribers in the same way. 

Because if you could just screenshot everything there would be no point in paying for it. You could simply take pics of every course you wanted and distribute them to all of your buddies. It's not too different from all of the tv/movie subscription services starting to crackdown on password sharing.

For the record, I don't like it either, but I understand why it has to be done.

• Like 1