2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Posting two 9s

I was playing today and decided to play the back tees.  On hole 4, after hitting my drive, I put the headcover back on and the shaft of by driver broke right above the adapter.  I finished the front 9 from the back tees but I decided to play the back from the whites because I was w/o a driver.  I posted 2 different 9-hole rounds.  Was this allowed via posting rules or nah?  

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics 722E

5w - Sub 70 949X

4H - Ping G425

4-6i i200s

7-UW i210s

56*, 60* - Sub 70 286

Putter - Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Ball - Vice Pro Zero 

2 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

In our WHS it is allowed as you have played 2 different 9-hole rounds.

However, if the front nine were closed (for some reason) then that would be only one 18-hole round as there would be no two separate nines to play to make an 18-hole round. At least that is how it is in our WHS.

I am not sure that I understand what you are saying here. I am pretty sure that if the front 9 is closed at a course here in the US and you play the back nine twice, then you have two 9 hole rounds to post and these would be considered as 'separate nines' by the system and by the Handicap Rules, even though they have the two nines have the same slope and rating. It would not be any different than posting scores at a 9 hole course. And if you happened to have a 9 hole score in your history 'waiting to be paired up', then that will also happen. 

I am guessing that the PCC calculation would not happen or be applied in this case. 

dave

ps. Now that I think about it you could create a 18 hole round by posting a 18 hole using the 'Manual' route in Ghin and input the slope and 2xRating from the slope/rating of the back nine. Probably a better way to do it. 

Edited by DaveLeeNC

16 minutes ago, DaveLeeNC said:

I am not sure that I understand what you are saying here. I am pretty sure that if the front 9 is closed at a course here in the US and you play the back nine twice, then you have two 9 hole rounds to post and these would be considered as 'separate nines' by the system and by the Handicap Rules, even though they have the two nines have the same slope and rating. It would not be any different than posting scores at a 9 hole course. And if you happened to have a 9 hole score in your history 'waiting to be paired up', then that will also happen. 

Well, in our WHS (and all the preceding systems) a round is a set of holes to be played in the order determined by the Committee. An 18-hole round may consist of two different or two same 9-hole sets but that is up to the Committee to decide. If you play a round of 18 holes, i.e. two consecutive sets of 9 holes it is not allowed to post two 9-hole scores. Similarly, if you play the back nine twice you have two separate 9-hole scores. BUT if the front nine is closed and 18-hole rounds are supposed to be played by playing the back nine twice then you have a single 18-hole score and not two 9-hole scores.

Afa a 9-hole course is concerned that is a different animal as the "round" set by the Committee is 9 holes, not 18. On an 18-hole course the "round" is 18 holes.

Your system may be different, no doubt about that, as we have seen in many cases.

Edited by Mr. Bean

1 minute ago, Mr. Bean said:

If you play a round of 18 holes, i.e. two consecutive sets of 9 holes it is not allowed to post two 9-hole scores.

I am curious as to what authority dis-allows that. Could a committee somehow be precluded from creating a 18 hole tournament round using the front 9 twice?  Here in the US many posted rounds have no formal 'committee' in place. 

dave

12 minutes ago, DaveLeeNC said:

I am curious as to what authority dis-allows that. Could a committee somehow be precluded from creating a 18 hole tournament round using the front 9 twice?  Here in the US many posted rounds have no formal 'committee' in place. 

dave

You must have misread something. A Committee may decide how the round is to be played, nothing extraordinary in that

Afa posting is concerned, if we post a 9-hole score it has to be announced beforehand and that 9-hole score may not be a part of an 18-hole score. That is written in our WHS and the authority is exactly the same who wrote the WHS. They have all the power in the world to allow or disallow things in a system they create themselves. I am sure this applies to USGA as well.

In practice people announce they post the front nine and yet also play the back nine. I see nothing wrong in that but strictly speaking it is against our system.

You always have a Committee everywhere as your own group may form your own Committee. That is what you guys have taught me 😁

Edited by Mr. Bean

22 minutes ago, Mr. Bean said:

Afa posting is concerned, if we post a 9-hole score it has to be announced beforehand and that 9-hole score may not be a part of an 18-hole score.

I know we've talked about this before, do I remember that a 9-hole round is "scaled up" to make an 18-hole score for handicap submission?  In the USGA areas, consecutive 9-hole scores are combined to make 18 hole scores for calculation purposes.  

54 minutes ago, DaveLeeNC said:

ps. Now that I think about it you could create a 18 hole round by posting a 18 hole using the 'Manual' route in Ghin and input the slope and 2xRating from the slope/rating of the back nine. Probably a better way to do it. 

I think from your Handicap Committee's viewpoint, they'd rather understand what course, which 9, and which tees you've played, which wouldn't be available if you post the score "manually".  

4 minutes ago, davep043 said:

I think from your Handicap Committee's viewpoint, they'd rather understand what course, which 9, and which tees you've played, which wouldn't be available if you post the score "manually".  

I believe that (at least on Windows) when you go down the Ghin 'manual' path you can give your course a name (like "Front 9 Twice - Pinehurst No. 1'). The various Ghin app's??? - Not sure about that. 

dave

3 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

You always have a Committee everywhere as your own group may form your own Committee. That is what you guys have taught me

I don't particularly like that answer, but the RoG is just chock full of decisions to be made by the Committee, so something must be done. Here is U.S. the USGA  tells us to follow the RoG and then give us a boatload of rules requiring input/judgment from the Committee. Then they tell us to post rounds where there is nothing resembling a committee is in place anywhere. You cannot play the game without one, you don't have one, and the USGA provides pretty much no help here. Kind of a gripe of mine 🙂

dave

Edited by DaveLeeNC
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, DaveLeeNC said:

I believe that (at least on Windows) when you go down the Ghin 'manual' path you can give your course a name (like "Front 9 Twice - Pinehurst No. 1'). The various Ghin app's??? - Not sure about that. 

dave

Yeah, I think you can do that manually, after you manually look up the CR and Slope for Front 9 on Pinehurst #1.  I have seen very few scorecards that list the ratings separately for front and back, so that would be another computer step.  I know that if you post it as a 9-hole score, you'll get the choice of front or back from the system itself.  Either way works as far as getting to the right Handicap Index, I just prefer to use the system to the maximum extent possible.

My experience posting 9 hole scores seems to be different than some of you. I usually post using my states app (AZGolf) but see the same when posting with GHIN, the steps to post a 9 hole score is the same as an 18 hole score. First select the course, select the number of holes played 9 or 18, if 9 is selected then there's a dropdown menu showing the slope/rating for each nine front/back tee box, select the 9 tee box you played, then enter the score. Really the exact same steps as posting an 18 hole score but select 9 holes on the second step. I've yet to see a course that didn't show the 9 hole slope/rating breakdown for each tee box in the posting app. If you play the same 9 holes twice in the same day because one is closed just do the same steps twice for each 9 hole score, I do it all the time at my home course when they are aerating the greens and a nine is closed.

Edited by AzRoger
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, AzRoger said:

My experience posting 9 hole scores seems to be different than some of you. I usually post using my states app (AZGolf) but see the same when posting with GHIN, the steps to post a 9 hole score is the same as an 18 hole score. First select the course, select the number of holes played 9 or 18, if 9 is selected then there's a dropdown menu showing the slope/rating for each nine front/back tee box, select the 9 tee box you played, then enter the score. Really the exact same steps as posting an 18 hole score but select 9 holes on the second step. I've yet to see a course that didn't show the 9 hole slope/rating breakdown for each tee box in the posting app. If you play the same 9 holes twice in the same day because one is closed just do the same steps twice for each 9 hole score, I do it all the time at my home course when they are aerating the greens and a nine is closed.

Same here in canada.