2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

High Lead Arm Help

Hi does anyone have any drills or videos i can watch to solve a high lead arm?

Im a right handed golfer and i really struggle getting much depth in my backswing. At the top of my backswing the butt of my club sits in the same line as my toes.

My left arm seems to go very high in the back swing then as i start down i early extend and flip the hands at the bottom.

I get pretty inconsistent ball contact and can go left or right.

any help would be great!

6 hours ago, GolferHomz said:

Hi does anyone have any drills or videos i can watch to solve a high lead arm?

Im a right handed golfer and i really struggle getting much depth in my backswing. At the top of my backswing the butt of my club sits in the same line as my toes.

My left arm seems to go very high in the back swing then as i start down i early extend and flip the hands at the bottom.

I get pretty inconsistent ball contact and can go left or right.

any help would be great!

A bit like Dustin Johnson then?

You'll need to post a swing video please.

Get in your set up position without a club, fold your right elbow and touch your right shoulder with your fingertips. Now turn and unfold your elbow 90*. That's the right arm position, it's a throwing position with the right hand and arm. 

image.jpeg.f0a4b15012cd8e51332e7e4734c854a5.jpeg

As the humerus bone swings back it helps load the scaps. The right scap retracts and the left scap protracts. 

8 hours ago, Zitlow said:

image.jpeg.f0a4b15012cd8e51332e7e4734c854a5.jpeg

My advice: don't seek out the position shown there. IMO Mike's right elbow is bent too much, is too far around behind/beside him, and consequently he's loaded his left arm too far across his chest.

Yes, over-bending your right elbow and keeping it that close to your ribs will definitely keep your left arm lower, but there are better ways of doing that than copying the chap above.

01.jpg.0212d3d9df9a7d10c3f706feb9e578db.jpg

Edited by iacas
  • Like 2

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 29. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

5 hours ago, GolferHomz said:

Hi Hammersia

ive uploaded a quick video. just cant seem to get any depth. i think my left arm is to high but maybe not.

any help will be great 🙂

I think you're focusing on the wrong thing, you hit some nice positions, setup good (maybe slightly open with the shoulders hard to tell on that video), flat left wrist, close to on plane etc. Would hate to see you move away from that and start dragging the club inside.

More to do with sequencing. Your hips move a long way early, there isn't much separation going on shoulders to hips. Coming down your shoulders have opened early and then there is a flip at the bottom.

No Turn Cast drill from Monte will sort all this, loads of threads on it, worth paying for his video imho. In particular the "throwing the club back to 7pm" from the top would be a revelation to you.

• Like 1

Let me preface this with, I am not a teacher, pro, or instructor. I am just someone who has been through exactly where you are at right now. 

With that being said, it looks like you are lifting the club with your arms to try and get it in position rather than letting your left shoulder initiate the backswing and allowing the upper body to turn the club, hands, arms, and shoulders to the top. I think this is why you feel like you have no depth because there is really no shoulder turn. However you think that you are making a huge turn because your lower body (hips) are giving you a false hip turn. Your pelvis is too level. Your right hip is turning around behind you, but your left hip is turning around in front of you at the same time (level). This false hip turn makes you feel as if you are really getting a huge turn in your backswing, but instead it is setting you up for your right hip to move towards the ball on the downswing, your left hip can't get back to where it needs to be because the weight is still in the trail leg, which leads to the early extension aka the inevitable goat hump. This is all your brain making a good attempt to hit the ball based off the position it's in.

To get the depth you are looking for, the pelvis should have a little downward tilt at set up. Use the lead shoulder to start the backswing and allow the upper body (chest) to rotate and turn everything up. The hip turn should really only be the trail hip going back and up, and higher than the left, with the left hip pretty much staying in its set up position (obviously there is some left hip movement). As you allow the upper body to take the club back, the trail hip goes back and up and higher than the left (with the left pretty much staying as still as it can). If this is done properly, you will feel the depth you have been looking for.

• Like 1

image.png.96dfc1a322d2f6ce9ea9b0646a0eba06.png

Cobra LTDx 9º Driver HZRDUS Blue RDX 6.5 

Cobra Radspeed 3wood 14½º Motore X F3 6S

Bullet Ti-Lies 7wood (mid 1990's) Harrison Pro shaft XS

2023 Cobra King Tec Utility 2 iron 17º KBS $-Taper Lite stiff

2023 Cobra King Tour 4-GW Nippon Pro Modus³ Tour 105s

Kirkland V2 Wedges

2024 Odyssey AI Cruiser Jailbird

Winn Dri-Tac Wrap Standard grips

Kirkland V3 Performance Plus | Callaway ERC soft | Vice Pro/Plus 

3 hours ago, hammersia said:

I think you're focusing on the wrong thing, you hit some nice positions, setup good (maybe slightly open with the shoulders hard to tell on that video), flat left wrist, close to on plane etc. Would hate to see you move away from that and start dragging the club inside.

More to do with sequencing. Your hips move a long way early, there isn't much separation going on shoulders to hips. Coming down your shoulders have opened early and then there is a flip at the bottom.

No Turn Cast drill from Monte will sort all this, loads of threads on it, worth paying for his video imho. In particular the "throwing the club back to 7pm" from the top would be a revelation to you.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback I'll definitely look into those suggestions! 

1 hour ago, golf-RN said:

Let me preface this with, I am not a teacher, pro, or instructor. I am just someone who has been through exactly where you are at right now. 

With that being said, it looks like you are lifting the club with your arms to try and get it in position rather than letting your left shoulder initiate the backswing and allowing the upper body to turn the club, hands, arms, and shoulders to the top. I think this is why you feel like you have no depth because there is really no shoulder turn. However you think that you are making a huge turn because your lower body (hips) are giving you a false hip turn. Your pelvis is too level. Your right hip is turning around behind you, but your left hip is turning around in front of you at the same time (level). This false hip turn makes you feel as if you are really getting a huge turn in your backswing, but instead it is setting you up for your right hip to move towards the ball on the downswing, your left hip can't get back to where it needs to be because the weight is still in the trail leg, which leads to the early extension aka the inevitable goat hump. This is all your brain making a good attempt to hit the ball based off the position it's in.

To get the depth you are looking for, the pelvis should have a little downward tilt at set up. Use the lead shoulder to start the backswing and allow the upper body (chest) to rotate and turn everything up. The hip turn should really only be the trail hip going back and up, and higher than the left, with the left hip pretty much staying in its set up position (obviously there is some left hip movement). As you allow the upper body to take the club back, the trail hip goes back and up and higher than the left (with the left pretty much staying as still as it can). If this is done properly, you will feel the depth you have been looking for.

Wow thanks for this, I think you are onto something with the false hip turn. 

You are right about me thinking I've made a big turn... But in reality I haven't. I'm guessing that I'm early extending and flipping because of the no depth. Well that's what I'm hoping anyway. 

Know of any good videos on turning properly? The ones I've seen haven't helped me much. 

10 hours ago, GolferHomz said:

Wow thanks for this, I think you are onto something with the false hip turn. 

You are right about me thinking I've made a big turn... But in reality I haven't. I'm guessing that I'm early extending and flipping because of the no depth. Well that's what I'm hoping anyway. 

Know of any good videos on turning properly? The ones I've seen haven't helped me much. 

You're welcome! We have gone through a lot of the same things and I'm happy to help!!

Monte's No Turn Cast would be first place begin. The first couple of segments in the series on the turn were revolutionary for me. Second would be to look up Porzak Golf on YouTube. I love their teaching style, it is simple and easy to understand and to reproduce. Their content is fantastic 👌 

• Like 1

Kirkland V2 Wedges

5 minutes ago, golf-RN said:

You're welcome! We have gone through a lot of the same things and I'm happy to help!!

Monte's No Turn Cast would be first place begin. The first couple of segments in the series on the turn were revolutionary for me. Second would be to look up Porzak Golf on YouTube. I love their teaching style, it is simple and easy to understand and to reproduce. Their content is fantastic 👌 

thanks, ill buy the video and start there 🙂

1 hour ago, GolferHomz said:

thanks, ill buy the video and start there 🙂

Good luck man!!

Kirkland V2 Wedges

1 hour ago, GolferHomz said:

im trying Monte but i have the hip turn of a 90 year old haha, ill keep at it!

More hip turn is easier not harder.  

Right cheek/tailbone needs to work towards target in backswing 

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

On 7/5/2023 at 7:49 PM, iacas said:

My advice: don't seek out the position shown there. IMO Mike's right elbow is bent too much, is too far around behind/beside him, and consequently he's loaded his left arm too far across his chest.

A terrible opinion, but not totally unexpected.  

I swung out from underneath myself, from the lower part of my body.   Byron Nelson

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update just incase it may help others 😄

I brought the No Turn Cast video series, watched it about 10 times.... and have been working through the drills.

Cant speak highly enough of the series, money well spent.

Im still in the early days but i have noticed a few things.

First up @hammersia you were correct, getting the hands to 7 then pushing back to 8 has been pretty eye opening. that level of depth i havent felt before. i know its not the case but the arms feel so far behind me its crazy.

@golf-RN im now getting the shoulders turned a lot better, im looking forward to seeing if this will help with my early extension in the long run, fingers crossed.

And finally my biggest takeaway so far has been the amount of compression im getting on the back of the ball while doing these drills, i cant get over it really. I thought i was doing a good job previously as ive always hit the ball a good distance but this is a whole new feeling. It just seems more effortless if that makes sense.

Im looking forward to drilling this for a few more months to see what impacts it will have. im not sure how i will blend it into my full swing yet but i will see.

@MonteScheinblum you must have super flexible wrists haha, because i struggle to get to the same posistions you get to on cast B.

Now i just need the New Zealand spring to get here and warm thinks up a bit.😄

• Like 1

That's awesome man, glad you are heading in a good direction!!! The NTC series is fantastic!!

• Like 1

Kirkland V2 Wedges

2 hours ago, GolferHomz said:

do you think its worth getting the efficent swing series now as well? im sure its good but would it be benifical at the moment or just stick with NTC

I think it is very much worth it. Monte's teachings are excellent and have been proven to be correct by AMG with their GEARS 3D capture. So yeah, it's worth it 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Kirkland V2 Wedges