2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Tomorrow is my first ever putter fitting

maxfnmloans

And im really good at thinking of things I should have asked AFTER whatever event I am at where I can ask questions is over.  So - any suggestions?

A little background - am doing this because I want to get my data and know (not think, but KNOW) what I am best suited for. My main problem is speed/distance control. Im pretty decent from 5' and in, but as I've gotten better at finding greens from over 100 yds out I find myself with quite a few more 30+ foot putts. Those 30+ footers often turn into 3 putts, and that kind of ruins all the benefit from improving my iron game.

I am RH but left eye dominant, and on shorter putts when I do have an issue, I miss left (which my research to this point tells me is common for RH/Left eye dominant players). Also, I know for sure it has an impact on we where I think I'm lining up square to my target line when Im not.  

While we all know putters arent magic wands, I suppose we can at least be sure the one we are using is best suited for our individual styles, and more importantly, not fighting against us.

So - thats what I have in mind going into this - any other suggestions on what I should keep in mind/discuss with the fitter?

PING G430 Max 

Cleveland Launcher HALO Hy-Wood 18* | Cypher 40 S

Adams Boxer Pro Gold 20* | UST HYB 80 S

Rogue ST Max 5i | Mizuno JPX 923 HM 6-AW  | Nippon 950 GH Neo 

Cleveland CBX 2 52.11 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 56.10 | TT DG 120

Cleveland RTX 4 60.03 | TT Tour Issue S400

Cobra King Stingray 20

ChromeSoft 

12 minutes ago, maxfnmloans said:

And im really good at thinking of things I should have asked AFTER whatever event I am at where I can ask questions is over.  So - any suggestions?

A little background - am doing this because I want to get my data and know (not think, but KNOW) what I am best suited for. My main problem is speed/distance control. Im pretty decent from 5' and in, but as I've gotten better at finding greens from over 100 yds out I find myself with quite a few more 30+ foot putts. Those 30+ footers often turn into 3 putts, and that kind of ruins all the benefit from improving my iron game.

I am RH but left eye dominant, and on shorter putts when I do have an issue, I miss left (which my research to this point tells me is common for RH/Left eye dominant players). Also, I know for sure it has an impact on we where I think I'm lining up square to my target line when Im not.  

While we all know putters arent magic wands, I suppose we can at least be sure the one we are using is best suited for our individual styles, and more importantly, not fighting against us.

So - thats what I have in mind going into this - any other suggestions on what I should keep in mind/discuss with the fitter?

keep a complete open mind. The first fitting I ever did I ended Up with a putter I would have NEVER picked and loved it. 

• Like 2

On 7/8/2023 at 7:11 PM, sheppick.dan said:

keep a complete open mind. The first fitting I ever did I ended Up with a putter I would have NEVER picked and loved it. 

I did exactly that. Fitter was excellent. Like others have said - one of the hidden bonuses in a putter fitting is it doubles as a putting lesson as well.  In 5 minutes, he'd corrected my setup (I was WAY too crouched) and at the end of the session I went 19 for 20 on their "Science & Motion" fitting platform from 8 feet

Ended up walking out with something I probably would have never otherwise considered, if only because they aren't one of the "go to" putter manufacturers, and I often buy clubs with one eye toward resale in case I end up hating what I get 

Ended up with a Cobra Stingray 20.  There really does seem to be something in the SIK face technology - really gets the ball rolling nicely.

If anyone else happens across this thread and has been wondering about a putter fitting - I highly recommend it. Or, a putting lesson at the very least. 

• Like 2

PING G430 Max 

Cobra King Stingray 20

ChromeSoft 

2 hours ago, maxfnmloans said:

I did exactly that. Fitter was excellent. Like others have said - one of the hidden bonuses in a putter fitting is it doubles as a putting lesson as well.  In 5 minutes, he'd corrected my setup (I was WAY too crouched) and at the end of the session I went 19 for 20 on their "Science & Motion" fitting platform from 8 feet

Ended up walking out with something I probably would have never otherwise considered, if only because they aren't one of the "go to" putter manufacturers, and I often buy clubs with one eye toward resale in case I end up hating what I get 

Ended up with a Cobra Stingray 20.  There really does seem to be something in the SIK face technology - really gets the ball rolling nicely.

If anyone else happens across this thread and has been wondering about a putter fitting - I highly recommend it. Or, a putting lesson at the very least. 

Glad it all worked out for you and you got something that works! Congrats!

Write down your concerns and questions.

Do you have contact issues? Is your distance control issue becasue you aren't making solid contact on longer putts?

Does your alignment match. Do you aim where you think you are aimed?

Arrive early and relax before the fitting.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash Star 10.5 with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

3 wood Titlesit 913F with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

5 wood Ttleist 913F with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

Ping G5 3 iron Aldila VS Proto 95

Irons 4-9 Ping S58 Project X 5.5

Pitching wedge Ping Gorge 47 Project X 5.5

Gap wedge Ping Tour S 52 Project X 5.5

Lob wedge Ping Glide 58 SS Project X 5.5

Putter Ping Pal 2F

As a RH golfer but left eye dominate I feel the pain. Little or no offset with a blade or small mallet (Toulon Atlanta/ White Hot Versa Three T style) work best for left eye dominance. The alignment aid tends to be best when closer to the face and not on the flange. 

Edited by NWS Alpine

I was thrilled with my putter fitting ... 3 weeks and 10 rounds later I have a $500 memento in my basement.

Hope yours turns out better.

• Haha 2

Driver: Titleist TS3, 8.5°

2 Wood: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Cleveland UHX, 20°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Bettinardi inovai 6.0 slant neck, 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

23 hours ago, NWS Alpine said:

As a RH golfer but left eye dominate I feel the pain. Little or no offset with a blade or small mallet (Toulon Atlanta/ White Hot Versa Three T style) work best for left eye dominance. The alignment aid tends to be best when closer to the face and not on the flange. 

At one point during the fitting the fitter used a sharpie to put a small line on the topline of my putter (I had a TP Bandon 1), and the told me to line the topline mark up with the alignment line on the flange to help make sure I had the face squared before making a stroke. Such a simple thing but it worked wonders.  

I ended up moving on from the Bandon anyway because I really like what the SIK face does for me on the Cobra putter. A bit firmer than the TM insert, and the roll was excellent.  

But yes- to your point - having an alignment mark closer to the face definitely seems to be a big plus for RH-Left Eye players

PING G430 Max 

Cobra King Stingray 20

ChromeSoft 

Did my first putter fitting @ CC in Myrtle Beach. I’ve always been a terrible putter, 3 putts galore. Was fitted into a Lab Link.1 and it’s a complete game changer. Speed and line dramatically improved and am already getting more out of my rounds. 

I’m shorter (5’9) so figured I’d end up in something shorter and flatter. Ended up in a 35” and 73 lie. 

Edited by DCMorgan89

My advice is don’t believe any fables about certain putters or hosels being automatically the best fit for left eye dominant, right-handed players. None of it is backed by data, it’s just stuff people repeat. I am left eye dominant and left handed for some sports and right handed for others. (As in ping pong I play left handed, tennis I am right-handed. Bowling is either hand.) I golf right handed. But I am the opposite of the OP. I have a right aim bias — some putters when I think I am square from 15 feet, the laser shows I am 4 inches right of target. (Like famous right aimer Payne Stewart, who aimed 4 inches right of target from 8 feet! He fixed it with a Seemore putter.) For me it actually gets worse with a single long alignment line on a mallet. I aim those well to the right. 

You might find more than one putter works for you. A plumber’s neck moves me left and on target. And this is curious — I aim well with either zero alignment lines, one small line on top or with three short ones. No long single lines. No flange lines. 

I also do well with putters where the shaft enters the head between the heel and the center, but definitely off the heel. (No flow necks for me.) It is all very individual how we aim. To me a fitting has to start with a putter I naturally aim on target. Matters as much as my putting stroke.

I did a combined SAM and laser fitting. Both helped a lot. The prescription for me is a wide blade with 30 degrees toe hang and a single small line on the top line with nothing in the flange OR a mallet with three short lines but also has toe hang. I miss both ways with a face balanced putter. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches