Wood Brothers Texan

Hey guys, I picked this Wood Brothers Texas Golf Co driver on a bit of a whim recently. I’ve done a ton of reading on Dave Wood, these drivers, Bernard Langer, etc. I know a few guys here are deep in this game, so I’m hoping maybe someone can point me in the direction of tracking down any specifics or history on this club in particular. I’m also curious to know the group consensus on whether y’all think it has been refinished.

IMG_4884.jpeg

IMG_4858.jpeg

IMG_4861.jpeg

IMG_4859.jpeg

IMG_4865.jpeg

Edited by PNW_Golfer
Typos
  • Like 4

• PNW_Golfer changed the title to Wood Brothers Texan
3 hours ago, PNW_Golfer said:

Hey guys, I picked this Wood Brothers Texas Golf Co driver on a bit of a whim recently. I’ve done a ton of reading on Dave Wood, these drivers, Bernard Langer, etc. I know a few guys here are deep in this game, so I’m hoping maybe someone can point me in the direction of tracking down any specifics or history on this club in particular. I’m also curious to know the group consensus on whether y’all think it has been refinished.

IMG_4884.jpeg

IMG_4858.jpeg

IMG_4861.jpeg

IMG_4859.jpeg

IMG_4865.jpeg

I'm pretty sure that the Woods Texan woods have been discussed here in a different Classic Golf discussion....did you happen to check the back posts?

• Like 1

10* was standard .9* is custom.     I’m a big wood bros fan and collector.     In my opinion I wouldn’t have touched this club with a 10 food or 100 foot pole as it was poorly refinished.  The stampings were not cared for and I’m pretty confident I know who refinished it (Steve’s golf shop via eBay). That being said it may have been a mess before refinishing so my comments may be harsh but I’m not a fan of this sellers work .    Texans are great clubs.   Depending what you have into it I’d get it refinished properly by someone who knows what they are doing.   The sole stampings will take work to get them back.

here are some of mine.  I have added more since taking these photos 

906C8FB1-813B-4CB0-9AF0-EEAD5C84687C.jpeg

B903FAF6-887A-4155-A6AC-CBA5AA8B0B39.jpeg

9D4C782A-CC0A-481B-B91E-CCC3F93A1150.jpeg

7D32283E-E458-4402-8675-D0020F4B8344.jpeg

Edited by golfunderpar18
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, golfunderpar18 said:

10* was standard .9* is custom.     I’m a big wood bros fan and collector.     In my opinion I wouldn’t have touched this club with a 10 food or 100 foot pole as it was poorly refinished.  The stampings were not cared for and I’m pretty confident I know who refinished it (Steve’s golf shop via eBay). That being said it may have been a mess before refinishing so my comments may be harsh but I’m not a fan of this sellers work .    Texans are great clubs.   Depending what you have into it I’d get it refinished properly by someone who knows what they are doing.   The sole stampings will take work to get them back.

Great collection...! Now I understand why I can't find any Texans. But, seriously, that's a beautiful collection of David's work. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ping Player said:

Great collection...! Now I understand why I can't find any Texans. But, seriously, that's a beautiful collection of David's work. 

Thanks.  I have 30-35…..20ish drivers, and a good collection of fairway woods.  8 ish 3 woods and then 3 x4 woods and 3x5 woods.  The fairway instruments are harder to find than Texans .  I have mostly texan drivers plus 3 all Americans and an all Japan, 

PNW,  that Texan looks like it was definitely refinished. This 9 degree was most likely a custom order club. I'm not sure what type of info your looking for or "history".  Usually any history would come from the seller who may know, that's how I usually start my research. Sometimes a club is so identifiable because of very unique features Dave Wood may remember it, but this one looks pretty typical.  Its definitely a nice one. 

• Like 2

@freddiec @golfunderpar18 and @RobotDoctor thank you all so much for the information. I didn’t realize 9° was not a standard option. After looking at a ton of pictures I definitely believe it was refinished, and not particularly well. It’s disappointing but not surprising. I may attempt to move on from it and look for one in more original condition or a proper restoration. Any idea how much it’s been devalued by the refinish work? 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/15/2023 at 11:21 AM, golfunderpar18 said:

stevesgolfshop seems to really change the shape of the toes on all the clubs if they need it or not. not a big fan either. 

On 7/11/2023 at 7:37 PM, PNW_Golfer said:

IMG_4884.jpeg

IMG_4858.jpeg

IMG_4861.jpeg

IMG_4859.jpeg

IMG_4865.jpeg

Hey bud, don't mind these quick-draw repliers. They are as mean as a knitting circle.

To answer one of your questions, NO I do not believe that that club has been restored or "refinished" in any way. If it was, and I doubt that, it was a while back and done perfectly. But I doubt that to be clear. You got to have time to see that uniform stain lightening around edges. See the plug for the shaft screw? See how it is lighter uniformly at the edges regardless of grain direction? That is time only type deal.

I would try emailing the Wood Bro. Worse that can happen you don't get a reply. Great club!

On 7/15/2023 at 11:21 AM, golfunderpar18 said:

That is certainly a lot of Wood, brother.

On 7/11/2023 at 7:37 PM, PNW_Golfer said:

IMG_4884.jpeg

IMG_4858.jpeg

IMG_4861.jpeg

IMG_4859.jpeg

IMG_4865.jpeg

One last thing, it was probably redone as far are the clear coat goes. If you like it then awesome. If not, go get 'ya some 800grit and some acetone. Get some top notch resin and reapply.

21 minutes ago, RMach said:

Hey bud, don't mind these quick-draw repliers. They are as mean as a knitting circle.

To answer one of your questions, NO I do not believe that that club has been restored or "refinished" in any way. If it was, and I doubt that, it was a while back and done perfectly. But I doubt that to be clear. You got to have time to see that uniform stain lightening around edges. See the plug for the shaft screw? See how it is lighter uniformly at the edges regardless of grain direction? That is time only type deal.

I would try emailing the Wood Bro. Worse that can happen you don't get a reply. Great club!

It has been heavily refinished.   Stampings and sole plate have been sanded significantly,   Wood bros has been out of business for over 20 years and Dave Is enjoying life.     The seller of this club on the bay refinishes and resells persimmons.   That’s what they do.  I’m a long time wood bros persimmon collector.    Not a mean response.  Just trying to be clear and provide guidance.  It wouldn’t take a lot to get this driver back to what is should be, but there are a select few that can get the stamping right.  These are $500-600 drivers and should not be attempted as a do it yourself job or by a refinisher who is not experienced with the stamping work on these wood bros persimmons.   A poor refinish can greatly reduce the value.  This one is salvageable byinvesting $125-150 into it.

Edited by golfunderpar18
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, golfunderpar18 said:

It has been heavily refinished.   Stampings and sole plate have been sanded significantly,   Wood bros has been out of business for over 20 years and Dave Wood  Is enjoying life doing very select and limited refurbishing.  The seller of this club on thr bay refinishes and resells persimmons.   That’s what they do.  I’m a long time wood bros persimmon collector.    Not a mean response.  Just trying to be clear and provide guidance.  It wouldn’t take a lot to get this driver back to what is should be, but there are a select few that can get the stamping right.  These are $500-600 drivers and should not be attempted as a do it yourself job or by a refinished who is not experienced with the stamping work on these wood bros persimmons.   A poor refinish can greatly reduce the value.  This one is salvageable by investing $125-150 into it.

Edited by golfunderpar18

10 hours ago, RMach said:

Put me on record as saying this driver had been refinished.  Dave Wood, the founder and former owner of Wood Brothers, would never put out a driver in that condition.  At the very least he would never have put on a worn down sole plate on a new driver.  This one has screws that have had some of its head sanded away (notice the lack of screw slot depth and length).  Stampings are not deep as a Wood Brothers Texan should be.  Dave has restored much of my collection.  During this time we have engaged in hours of conversation regarding persimmon woods, Wood Brothers Golf Company, his philosophy of building woods, restoring and refinishing woods and the artisanship that goes into them.  I would bet the farm that this driver in this state is not the work out of Wood Brothers.  

Some people cannot handle reading an honest critique and result in accusing someone for being mean.  This is simply not the case.  We’re not being mean, just honest.  If it helps I’ll reach out to Dave and see what his assessment of this club is.  

Edited by RobotDoctor
spelling correction
  • Like 4

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

27 minutes ago, RobotDoctor said:

Put me on record as saying this driver had been refinished.  Dave Wood, the founder and former owner of Wood Brothers, would never put out a driver in that condition.  At the very least he would never have put on a word down sole plate on a new driver.  This one has screws that have had some of its head sanded away (notice the lack of screw slot depth and length).  Stampings are not deep as a Wood Brothers Texan should be.  Dave has restored much of my collection.  During this time we have engaged in hours of conversation regarding persimmon woods, Wood Brothers Golf Company, his philosophy of building woods, restoring and refinishing woods and the artisanship that goes into them.  I would bet the farm that this driver in this state is not the work out of Wood Brothers.  

Some people cannot handle reading an honest critique and result in accusing someone for being mean.  This is simply not the case.  We’re not being mean, just honest.  If it helps I’ll reach out to Dave and see what his assessment of this club is.  

Hey Sam…..fred and I discussed this club before as well.  As I stated above already it’s clearly been refinished. The original seller is a refinisher & flipper on eBay and I saw it post for sale there before the OP bought it..  Nice driver but needs work to get it back to where it should be.  Clear as day on this one.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, golfunderpar18 said:

Hey Sam…..fred and I discussed this club before as well.  As I stated above already it’s clearly been refinished. The original seller is a refinisher & flipper on eBay and I saw it post for sale there before the OP bought it..  Nice driver but needs work to get it back to where it should be.  Clear as day on this one.  

Mike, no doubt about this driver.  Between @freddiec and you there are two of the most passionate collectors of WB woods.  I would love to get John Kendall's take on this one.  Of course having access to DW makes gaining knowledge about the history of Wood Brothers incredibly interesting.  Having him become a friend is a blessing.  I am blessed with friendships with you, Fred and many others who share the same passion as I do.  Best part about it is the knowledge of collecting and condition of persimmon woods gained from these relationships is immeasurable. 

• Like 4

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

I just received a text from Dave Wood and he said the driver is definitely refinished.  I pointed out a couple of things I saw and he concurred.  

• Like 2

I would say there would be no shame in playing this club, it seems to be in a decent playing shape. while it has been refinished it doesn't seem to be altered on the face much and has a brand new coat of poly. I am a collector and don't like to put mint clubs in play much for fear of hurting them. I wouldn't have any reservations about giving this a try on the course, its still a solid piece of persimmon. 

On 7/17/2023 at 3:18 PM, RobotDoctor said:

Being that the shaft is a UST Stiff flex it is most likely made for a general customer, not tour stock.  The overall shape seems pretty standard fare for OTR Texans, except for the 9° stamped sole plate.  That is a nice thing to have. 

I only have one Wood Brothers Texan (see attached pictures) and it was made for Gene Sauers, confirmed by the seller who has tour connections.  Dave Wood also told me that mine was one made for Sauers.  My Texan is 9°.  It has most likely been reshafted at some point but is in pretty decent condition.  I may someday send it back to Dave for full restoration but then again I may leave it as is.

P1010234.JPG

P1010233.JPG

P1010241.JPG

Sauers neck close up.jpg

P1010236.JPG

this club almost looks like burl on the skirt and neck, love the darker spots littered around this area, gives a lot of character.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Coletrain said:

this club almost looks like burl on the skirt and neck, love the darker spots littered around this area, gives a lot of character.

Those spots are carbon spots.  This is generally an indication of old growth persimmon.  I absolutely love carbon spots on a wood.  

• Like 3