millions of Arccos shots ?

I've read that Arccos maintains a data base of millions of golf shots.

I am not an Arccos user so forgive me if this is a silly question, but how does Arccos company receive the shot data that the company claims to have compiled?

Is it that a player (subscriber) shots are automatically added to Arccos main data base?

I assume they're automatically logged into the system.  

I got a set of them free with a Ping purchase and I use my Apple Watch and I really enjoy them, so if my stats can help add to the database then I'm all for it.  Lou Stagner (sp?) is an awesome Twitter follow and he is their main stat person at Arccos.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

1 hour ago, J_Tizzle said:

I assume they're automatically logged into the system.  

I got a set of them free with a Ping purchase and I use my Apple Watch and I really enjoy them, so if my stats can help add to the database then I'm all for it.  Lou Stagner (sp?) is an awesome Twitter follow and he is their main stat person at Arccos.

To utilize Arccos one must pay a monthly subscription fee?

3 minutes ago, Louis_Posture said:

To utilize Arccos one must pay a monthly subscription fee?

It is a subscription.  I think I got the first 45-days free of charge to see if I liked it, and I saw the benefit of it, so I kept it.  Can't remember how much it is but I want to say $150ish a year?

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

If you follow Lou Stagner on Twitter, err X, he tweets a ton of stats he's mined from the Arccos database. Also does a podcast with Mark Crossfield about the numbers.  Even though their banter isn't nearly as funny and amusing as they think it is (IMO), the information is really insightful.  More than anything it's great to help 'manage expectations.'

For example, a mindblowing stat he posted was about the distance a 10 handicap is more likely to hit the green than not.  I believe for a 10 that distance was around 115 yards.  A lot of players expect to throw darts from 130 yards, when just hitting the green at all is a win.

• Like 1

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

8 hours ago, mantan said:

If you follow Lou Stagner on Twitter, err X, he tweets a ton of stats he's mined from the Arccos database. Also does a podcast with Mark Crossfield about the numbers.  Even though their banter isn't nearly as funny and amusing as they think it is (IMO), the information is really insightful.  More than anything it's great to help 'manage expectations.'

For example, a mindblowing stat he posted was about the distance a 10 handicap is more likely to hit the green than not.  I believe for a 10 that distance was around 115 yards.  A lot of players expect to throw darts from 130 yards, when just hitting the green at all is a win.

I don't listen to his podcast, but I do follow him on Twitter and I get his news letter.  Managing expectations is an excellent thing to accept and it makes the idea of golfing a lot more forgiving for sure.  Like you said oh I miss the green from 140, yeah I'm kinda supposed to lol.

Thanks for the helpful replies.

Now I ask the question of how are amateur players benefitting from the data complied by Arccos?

For example, for about 75 years now Tour pros have been saying that the number one fault they see during Pro-Am rounds is that amateurs do not take enough club for their approach shots to the greens.  So, due to Arccos are amateur players now swinging a 5-iron from 150 yards instead of a 7-iron?

Todays 7 iron is a five iron from decades ago.  😉

Some Arccos users might chime in here with their experience.

Though  I suspect many of them just look at their stats for stats sake, probably driving distance and how far they hit their 7 iron, and don’t attempt to improve the weak points of their game that their Arccos stats reveal.  

22 hours ago, Louis_Posture said:

Now I ask the question of how are amateur players benefitting from the data complied by Arccos?

For example, for about 75 years now Tour pros have been saying that the number one fault they see during Pro-Am rounds is that amateurs do not take enough club for their approach shots to the greens.  So, due to Arccos are amateur players now swinging a 5-iron from 150 yards instead of a 7-iron?

I use the Garmin watch data that provides club data comparable to Arrcoos. I also read the 'Four Foundations' a few months ago that has a whole chapter devoted to the idea of amateurs shooting for the back center of the green. My handicap has dropped 3 strokes this summer. While some of it is my swing being grooved, a lot of it is just being smarter about distances.

I find I hit more green and get in less trouble when I use a club that'll get me to the back of the green. Once in a blue moon I'll absolutely flush it and may end up off the back.  But more often than not, I'll have a slight mishit that ends up being a distance to the middle/front of the green rather than short.

It's still a work in progress. On #12, I remember flushing an 8 iron off the back last time I played there. So even though that was the right play yesterday, I took a 9-iron, slightly mishit it and ended up just short.  Got up and down, but could have brought a bunker into play for no reason.

I'm a sucker for a front pin or being short sided...Especially on partial wedges.  I'm almost at the point of just taking the rangefinder out of the bag because it tempts me to make the perfect shot.

• Like 1

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

On 9/4/2023 at 10:23 PM, Louis_Posture said:

The more you play and use the sensors, the more accurate your data is. For each shot, the app gives you multiple yardages, one is stock, others are with variations to include elevation change, GPS wind speed, or even temperature. 

If you can get over personal ego's of "This cant be right, I always hit my 8 iron 225 yards, why is it telling me 4 iron" then its a definite benefit for an amateur. I've used mine a couple times now and really enjoy the feedback.