2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Microhinge insert

Z1ggy16

21 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

Anyone feel the original or the "star" version help them get the ball to the hole better?

I play on slow greens and I really struggle getting putts to the hole, even in down hill.

I haven’t.  That being said I’ve heard it’s great for slow or Bermuda greens to get it on top and rolling

I had an Odyssey Ten that I got on CPO that had the Microhinge insert and also have a Versa White Hot Seven and it is much more difficult for me to get the ball to the hole with the standard White Hot Insert.

If I could put the Microhinge Star insert in the Versa Seven head, I'd be super happy!

I had to go to a milled/harder face in order to get the feeling of striking it hard enough to the hole and went with a GTx last week.

Edited by CactusGolf

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

50 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

Anyone feel the original or the "star" version help them get the ball to the hole better?

I play on slow greens and I really struggle getting putts to the hole, even in down hill.

The "star" is MUCH firmer and presumably "hotter" off the face than the original micro-hinge (aka Fowler's), so, yes, I can see why some people might prefer it to the original on slower greens

Tsi2 (10*) AV RAW Blue 65TX 45.5"

G425 Max (14.5*) Ventus Blue 7X 42.25"

Apex UW (21*) Ventus Blue 7X 41"

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

RTX-6 56*-60* Nippon 120X

10 hours ago, Z1ggy16 said:

I'm coming from either a regular milled stainless face or whatever the pxg insert is.

Not sure about the PXG but the MH Star insert will feel softer than a milled putter imho.  I play a WH Tank and I’ve been wanting to change over to my Rahm putter that has the MH Star insert.  Problem is, I’m having a hard time adjusting to the feel of the MH Star, the ball just jumps off the face so much quicker for me. You will probably have an easier time adjusting to the Star insert coming from a milled putter. 

18 hours ago, Z1ggy16 said:

Any one directly compare these two? Do you feel one has more top spin than the other? More launch?

Screenshot_20230908_182412_Chrome~2.jpg

Screenshot_20230908_182638_Chrome.jpg

14 hours ago, TheMoneyShot said:

The top MH feels way softer than the bottom MH Star insert.  Both feel great imho but it will take some time getting use to if you’re coming from a OG WH.  

The bottom is actually not the MH Star, it’s the white-hot MH. But yes the top is still softer than the bottom, however the MH Star is firmer than both of these

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

32 minutes ago, mjo23 said:

The bottom is actually not the MH Star, it’s the white-hot MH. But yes the top is still softer than the bottom, however the MH Star is firmer than both of these

Firmness isn't really a big deal either way... as long as they all perform the same when it comes to providing launch and top spin.

25 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

Firmness isn't really a big deal either way... as long as they all perform the same when it comes to providing launch and top spin.

Gotcha just pointing out the difference to avoid any confusion. While they’re all intended to get the ball in a forward roll quick, feel and ball-speed off the face (given equal head-weight) is probably gonna vary a bit among each of these 3 inserts considering they’re all different material. Which is why you might find one of these inserts to be better for distance control than another depending on your local green speeds (and just personal preference)

Edited by mjo23

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

15 minutes ago, mjo23 said:

Gotcha just pointing out the difference to avoid any confusion. While they’re all intended to get the ball in a forward roll quick, feel and ball-speed off the face (given equal head-weight) is probably gonna vary a bit among each of these 3 inserts considering they’re all different material. Which is why you might find one of these inserts to be better for distance control than another depending on your local green speeds (and just personal preference)

Based on my experiences of late, I'd want the one that will natively produce the most ballspeed/fwd roll. I'm pretty good at taking speed off putts but not as good at adding it.

This is the one I plan to get unless I'm advised that the OG metal hinge version would be best. Those just seem harder to find in good shape. I strongly prefer plumbers neck because I add graphite shafts usually and don't really tend to use shorter counter balanced putters (even though I'm experimenting with one now).Screenshot_20230909_141117_Chrome.jpg.a43bce33c0895eb0a6eb10d7a90540a3.jpg

Edited by Z1ggy16

2 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

Based on my experiences of late, I'd want the one that will natively produce the most ballspeed/fwd roll. I'm pretty good at taking speed off putts but not as good at adding it.

I believe the ‘White-Hot MH’ and the ‘MH Star’ should natively produce the more speed off the face than the original MH

However there are other important variables to consider that will also affect distance-control; such as using a stroke-lab shaft versus a standard steel shaft. For example, if you’re using a shorter length stroke-lab putter, you may find it necessary to increase the stock head-weight or else the head can feel light and distance-control can be an issue. Some people have this issue with stroke-lab putters while some people don’t. I think adding weight to the head typically solves that “feel” problem some people have with SL putters, but some people just prefer steel regardless. So, the difference in feel between an Odyssey SL putter and a steel putter could (for some people) have more implications on distance-control than the insert itself 

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

32 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

This is the one I plan to get unless I'm advised that the OG metal hinge version would be best. Those just seem harder to find in good shape. I strongly prefer plumbers neck because I add graphite shafts usually and don't really tend to use shorter counter balanced putters (even though I'm experimenting with one now).Screenshot_20230909_141117_Chrome.jpg.a43bce33c0895eb0a6eb10d7a90540a3.jpg

This is the Microhinge star, which is the insert you’re looking for based on what you’re saying. If this is your first time with a SL putter, just beware that you might benefit from swapping in heavier heel-toe weights if you play a length less than 35”.

And swapping shafts is really easy with a plumbers neck if you don’t end up liking the stroke-lab shaft. This is an underrated insert in my opinion, it gets the ball rolling very fast

Edited by mjo23

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

8 minutes ago, mjo23 said:

This is the Microhinge star, which is the insert you’re looking for based on what you’re saying. If this is your first time with a SL putter, just beware that you might benefit from swapping in heavier heel-toe weights if you play a length less than 35”.

And swapping shafts is really easy with a plumbers neck if you don’t end up liking the stroke-lab shaft. This is an underrated insert in my opinion, it gets the ball rolling very fast

I'm a part time builder so yeah no issues there... I always have used 33.5 or 34", I just recently started messing with longer CB putters because A) Rickie hype and B) I thought heavy head might impact more energy into ball getting it to go further but I think it cancels out bc I'm swinging the heavier head slower.

I'd probably switch the SL out for my fxp shaft with my Scotty pistolinni plus grip. I'd just need to make sure the head and swing weight are roughly where I need. Ive read the SL shaft only weighs 70g so the heads are heavier and the grip, too. If I add 50g back to the shaft, I'll offset most of that from grip. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

I'm a part time builder so yeah no issues there... I always have used 33.5 or 34", I just recently started messing with longer CB putters because A) Rickie hype and B) I thought heavy head might impact more energy into ball getting it to go further but I think it cancels out bc I'm swinging the heavier head slower.

I'd probably switch the SL out for my fxp shaft with my Scotty pistolinni plus grip. I'd just need to make sure the head and swing weight are roughly where I need. Ive read the SL shaft only weighs 70g so the heads are heavier and the grip, too. If I add 50g back to the shaft, I'll offset most of that from grip. 

There’s as 30gram counterweight plugged in the top/butt-end of the shaft, the stock Odyssey grip-weight will be pretty standard; around 70grams.

• Thanks 1

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

On 9/8/2023 at 3:06 PM, Z1ggy16 said:

Microhinge (o-works)- designed to help players get more launch

White hot microhinge (original stroke lab yellow) - designed for more launch and softer feel

Microhinge star (stroke lab black, triple track and the blue ten line) - more launch, firmer feel for more immediate roll/forward spin

White hote (ten red, white hot og, eleven, versa, trihot) - softer feel that the pros apparently love the most

The microhinge star is the firmest and gives you most roll of the inserts. Its the closest insert to a milled feel. The next step up would be a toulon milled face. Ive recebtly made the switch from microhinge star to toulon. Pretty easy transition. I still love ke some microhinge star though

• Like 1

Driver - TSR 2 10 degrees. D2 setting. Fujikura Ventus Blue 5s

4 wood - Paradym 15 degrees. +2, Draw setting. Fujikura Ventus Blue 6s

7 wood - Ping G430 Max 21 degrees. Standard loft, Neutral. Ping Chrome 75s

9 wood - Ping G430 Max 24 degrees. Standard Loft, Neutral. Ping Chrome 75s

5-AW - Ping I230, black dot. Dynamic gold 105s.

SW - Titleist Vokey 54, 10 bounce, S grind. Nippon Modus 105s

LW - Titleist vokey 58, 8 bounce, M Grind. Nippon Modus 105s

Putter - Toulon Las Vegas

Ball - ProV1x, Maxli Tour X

8 hours ago, birdie2bogey said:

Microhinge (o-works)- designed to help players get more launch

White hot microhinge (original stroke lab yellow) - designed for more launch and softer feel

Microhinge star (stroke lab black, triple track and the blue ten line) - more launch, firmer feel for more immediate roll/forward spin

White hote (ten red, white hot og, eleven, versa, trihot) - softer feel that the pros apparently love the most

The microhinge star is the firmest and gives you most roll of the inserts. Its the closest insert to a milled feel. The next step up would be a toulon milled face. Ive recebtly made the switch from microhinge star to toulon. Pretty easy transition. I still love ke some microhinge star though

Yeah the MH* sounds like what I need based on what you said and what the person above says. That's the one im about to get.

• Like 1