2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

More height on driver

Bryan10

Looking for advice.  Playing G430 lst 10.5 with Kai li white 60 x shaft and struggle with height with an average between 60 and 70 feet.  Ball speed is around 160 and carry is around 250 which seems like it should be more.  Tee height is up, ball position off front foot so at a loss.  Not sure if I’m struggling loading the shaft since I’m right on the border of x and s.  Or ball spin I low and just falling out 

52 minutes ago, Bryan10 said:

Looking for advice.  Playing G430 lst 10.5 with Kai li white 60 x shaft and struggle with height with an average between 60 and 70 feet.  Ball speed is around 160 and carry is around 250 which seems like it should be more.  Tee height is up, ball position off front foot so at a loss.  Not sure if I’m struggling loading the shaft since I’m right on the border of x and s.  Or ball spin I low and just falling out 

Sounds spin related.  Teeing up higher could be counter productive as it encourages upward angle of attack and contact higher on the face, both of which are spin reducers.  You are leaving 20-30 yards on the table with that ball speed.

I recently tested that head and was too low spin for my swing. Had to move on to the Max and couldn’t be happier.  Probably not what you want to hear, but just my experience.  Good luck, hope you get it dialed in.  

Could also try changing loft sleeve to big +

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gotta know where on the driver you're hitting it, so impact spray (A LA Foot Powder) is the way to go.

I have consulted the link below in the past at times.  Usually, low flight does not indicate a high strike, but instead a low strike. Yet, you are also gaming a low launch/spin shaft and so if it was too stiff you would have difficulty getting height out of the trajectory.

Still yet, I believe we can confirm with a 250 yard carry that speed is not the problem. So, I would first attempt to ascertain what in my alignment is causing the undesirable ball flight? Then, secondly, what other defective characteristics exist beyond just low flight?

250 yards is not bad carry. I suggest first taking a peak at common strike locations for said ball flight via the foot powder, and then adjust accordingly. I am inclined to believe an alignment issue is causing you to miss low, but that is not the only possibility given that we're essentially blind here. I hope this helps you diagnose further. 🙂

https://www.golfdistillery.com/shot-errors/how-to-fix-low-drive/

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven (Still Acclimating)

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

1 hour ago, Mikey_HACKilroy said:

Gotta know where on the driver you're hitting it, so impact spray (A LA Foot Powder) is the way to go.

I have consulted the link below in the past at times.  Usually, low flight does not indicate a high strike, but instead a low strike. Yet, you are also gaming a low launch/spin shaft and so if it was too stiff you would have difficulty getting height out of the trajectory.

Still yet, I believe we can confirm with a 250 yard carry that speed is not the problem. So, I would first attempt to ascertain what in my alignment is causing the undesirable ball flight? Then, secondly, what other defective characteristics exist beyond just low flight?

250 yards is not bad carry. I suggest first taking a peak at common strike locations for said ball flight via the foot powder, and then adjust accordingly. I am inclined to believe an alignment issue is causing you to miss low, but that is not the only possibility given that we're essentially blind here. I hope this helps you diagnose further. 🙂

https://www.golfdistillery.com/shot-errors/how-to-fix-low-drive/

I did put a strike sticker on the face today and majority of strikes were all around the center.  Nothing high on the face and most just south of centered so that’s probably 1 issue.  Even the ones I caught perfect I didn’t see much improvement for height.  

There are several causes which you could determine by placing a camera in front of you that can do 240FPS if you have one. You can slow those down 8x for smooth and even more for less smooth but very watchable footage to see just what the head and shaft are doing before and through impact.

I use my Hero 5 Black at 240FPS (but at 720P) and while that's 8x I slow it down to about 8FPS which is about 32x slow motion. you can observe gear effect in full at that speed along with kick behavior, impact conditions.... you name it.

A lot of folks think that's overkill, but it's just so cool.... LOL

• Thanks 1

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven (Still Acclimating)

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

2 hours ago, chollier986 said:

Sounds spin related.  Teeing up higher could be counter productive as it encourages upward angle of attack and contact higher on the face, both of which are spin reducers.  You are leaving 20-30 yards on the table with that ball speed.

I recently tested that head and was too low spin for my swing. Had to move on to the Max and couldn’t be happier.  Probably not what you want to hear, but just my experience.  Good luck, hope you get it dialed in.  

Could also try changing loft sleeve to big +

Totally agree with it most likely being spin related. I played the Rogue ST TD 10.5* last year and would be in a similar height range of 60-70 ft. Was fit for the TSR2 in a 11* head when it came out and my driver height/consistency has been so much better with the extra spin. With the Rogue ST my high spin would be barely above 2000, and as a result I could never get it airborne.

Titleist TSR2 11° - Tour AD UB 7x

Titleist TSR2 16.5° - Tour AD UB 8x

Titleist TSR2 21° - Tour AD UB 8x

Titleist T200 4 iron - Tour AD DI 105x

Titleist T150 5 iron - Modus 130x

Titleist 620 CB 6 iron - Modus 130x

Titleist 620 MB 7 - P - Modus 130x

Vokey SM9 50F, 54D, 58LBK - Modus 125x

Ping PLD Custom Anser 30

On 10/6/2023 at 11:17 PM, millerj said:

Totally agree with it most likely being spin related. I played the Rogue ST TD 10.5* last year and would be in a similar height range of 60-70 ft. Was fit for the TSR2 in a 11* head when it came out and my driver height/consistency has been so much better with the extra spin. With the Rogue ST my high spin would be barely above 2000, and as a result I could never get it airborne.

When I was “fitted”. Spin ranged from 1800-2200 so I need to get those numbers up or try a new driver unfortunately. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bryan10 said:

When I was “fitted”. Spin ranged from 1800-2200 so I need to get those numbers up or try a new driver unfortunately. 

Yeah when I would play around on the trackman the 1800-2000 spin was awesome, unfortunately not so much on the course haha. 

• Like 1

Ping PLD Custom Anser 30

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2023 at 11:14 PM, millerj said:

Yeah when I would play around on the trackman the 1800-2000 spin was awesome, unfortunately not so much on the course haha. 

Hit a range with Toptracer and tried multiple different shafts.  Didn’t see much difference in height but then changed the loft +1 degree and now living around 80-90 height with 270 carry.  Ventus blue was the best and was able to gain 5 mph ball speed with it.  Will go back and hit more with the Kai li stock before I drop 350 on a Ventus. 

5 hours ago, Bryan10 said:

Hit a range with Toptracer and tried multiple different shafts.  Didn’t see much difference in height but then changed the loft +1 degree and now living around 80-90 height with 270 carry.  Ventus blue was the best and was able to gain 5 mph ball speed with it.  Will go back and hit more with the Kai li stock before I drop 350 on a Ventus. 

Glad to hear! Just FYI you can save $100 or so by looking at the BST for a Ventus blue shaft. I’d also recommend trying the Graphite Design AD UB if you get a chance. I previously played Ventus Black and Blue TR and have since swapped to the AD UB and I feel like it’s helped get my ball airborne better (“UB” stands for Up and Beyond lol).

Ping PLD Custom Anser 30

Angle of Attack???? 
you say you move the ball forward with a higher tee - but what is your Angle of Attack, and thereby the launch angle??? 
And what kind of ball are you using??? If you’re using a soft ball that might keep the ball down as well. 

Personally I’m averaging 7.6 Degrees Up on my AoA, I can get it up close to 9 degrees Up if I feel like hitting it higher, and I’m using a 7 degree head, and consistently get the spin around 1800 with most of the X type balls out there in the world. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/6/2023 at 7:22 PM, Bryan10 said:

Always want to counteract loft on a club, ergo hitting down with wedges and shorter clubs with higher loft. Same can be said for driver, if you watch tour players they tee the ball low with their 9 - 10 degree drivers and hit higher shots. 10.5 would be considered on the higher end of loft for a drive, so you want to tee the ball lower to let the club loft add the height. I would also look at spin rate and launch angle, it may be possible when swinging up on a ball to hit the ball low on the face which causes low balls that struggle in the air. If youre between x and s flex I would also look at the loft of the driver which may be too high for that speed, I would look at something around 9 - 9.5.