NB3 Jr Golf National Championship

leezer99

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

11 hours ago, leezer99 said:

Ok, I'm confused... This post shows Tiger caddying for Charlie but their rules say no caddies for the 14-15 or 16-18 groups. Anyone know what's up?

image.png.d38ae56e260355a6136db39da57db41e.png

image.png.19a0f670cf99905106a04cb9593b52d4.png

The rules for the qualifier are here:

https://www.jgnc.org/Tournament/TournamentDetails/0/Last-Chance-Florida-Regional-Boys/23508#info under Caddie Policy

And the same policy is in the info page for the championship.

Caddie Policy 

Caddie Policy For the Sept 23-24 Last Chance Regional at Mission Inn:

The NB3 JGNC will allow caddies for All Divisions for this tournament only. That includes Boys 10-11, 12-13, 14-15, and 16-18. CADDIES for the 10-11 age group are MANDATORY while caddies for the 12-13, 14-15, 16-18 age groups are optional. Players must declare a caddie prior to the start of their round.

Edited by TroyB123

I have no understanding of what this event started as and why anyone plays???  The top juniors have never played. 

When it first debuted it was supposed to be a platform that was differnt from all the rest. It was supposed to give access to everyone to get in front of College coaches. Well that makes no sence. If you are in the finals you clearly can play and must be on someones radar already, Maybe not the top schools but decent golf schools. 

As for the caddy thing....were caddies allowed at all regionals or only that one? Weird if it was only that one. 

CW is currently 114 in a really great class of 2027. That is an outstanding year of golfers! He's got some work to do to catch up to those aheas of him but he's got time. I hope he can ignore the so far undeserved hype around him and just be able to play. He seems to enjoy it. Time will tell. 

3 hours ago, jkpgolf said:

I have no understanding of what this event started as and why anyone plays???  The top juniors have never played. 

When it first debuted it was supposed to be a platform that was differnt from all the rest. It was supposed to give access to everyone to get in front of College coaches. Well that makes no sence. If you are in the finals you clearly can play and must be on someones radar already, Maybe not the top schools but decent golf schools. 

As for the caddy thing....were caddies allowed at all regionals or only that one? Weird if it was only that one. 

CW is currently 114 in a really great class of 2027. That is an outstanding year of golfers! He's got some work to do to catch up to those aheas of him but he's got time. I hope he can ignore the so far undeserved hype around him and just be able to play. He seems to enjoy it. Time will tell. 

I can see why it's confusing with CW having a caddie. 

I thought Nov 2022 last year was CW's final age to have a caddie at the national level, but I could be wrong.
For CW's regional event this year, I'm not sure about the caddie unless CW is still playing in the age 12-13 year group.

As for the event, we went the past two years and I want to say that this tournament is a GREAT venue and the locals and tribe people are terrific.

The main negative is that it's difficult for older kids to take a week off from school in November, and there are no easy access flights to get to Coushatta.

Imho, Notah/Golf Channel needs to figure out what they want this event to be. 

Similar to Augusta's Drive, Pitch, Putt competition...the 2 hour TV event is long and boring, and switching back and forth with the younger kids makes it worse. 

If Notah's goal is to truly identify the top undiscovered players in front of coaches, they should get the top 80 to 120 boys (who are not yet committed).

Currently with this set up, neither the top recruits nor coaches want to be at a venue/golf course with a bunch of 9 to 13 year old kids. 

Even IMG World learned to have all the younger kids (and girls) at different courses so they can field the top 200 boys (and coaches). 

As for the "top" players never playing, many current Top D1/D1 commits played in the past.  

However, with a few exceptions, the top HS juniors and seniors who are already committed usually skip this event.

For them, it makes more sense to save their time and money for a deeper/more prestigious field. 

1 hour ago, golferdad8 said:

I can see why it's confusing with CW having a caddie. 

I thought Nov 2022 last year was CW's final age to have a caddie at the national level, but I could be wrong.
For CW's regional event this year, I'm not sure about the caddie unless CW is still playing in the age 12-13 year group.

As for the event, we went the past two years and I want to say that this tournament is a GREAT venue and the locals and tribe people are terrific.

The main negative is that it's difficult for older kids to take a week off from school in November, and there are no easy access flights to get to Coushatta.

Imho, Notah/Golf Channel needs to figure out what they want this event to be. 

Similar to Augusta's Drive, Pitch, Putt competition...the 2 hour TV event is long and boring, and switching back and forth with the younger kids makes it worse. 

If Notah's goal is to truly identify the top undiscovered players in front of coaches, they should get the top 80 to 120 boys (who are not yet committed).

Currently with this set up, neither the top recruits nor coaches want to be at a venue/golf course with a bunch of 9 to 13 year old kids. 

Even IMG World learned to have all the younger kids (and girls) at different courses so they can field the top 200 boys (and coaches). 

As for the "top" players never playing, many current Top D1/D1 commits played in the past.  

However, with a few exceptions, the top HS juniors and seniors who are already committed usually skip this event.

For them, it makes more sense to save their time and money for a deeper/more prestigious field. 

The National caddie policy says the same thing about caddies being optional for older ages.

https://www.jgnc.org/Tournament/TournamentDetails/0/Notah-Begay-III-Boys-Jr-Golf-National-Championship/23075 and click on caddie policy.