2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Moving to Queen Creek, AZ. Annual Pass or Troon Card?

mikeybabes92

Hey all. I'm moving to the Harvest community in Queen Creek, AZ next week, very close to the border with San Tan Valley. I'm a 7 handicap and will be playing most weekday evenings as I work on East Coast time and will be done working at 2-3 PM daily. I play and practice alone on weekdays, and then I'll occasionally play with my wife on weekends. She just picked up the sport last year. We're both 32 years old.

I'd like to either join a course or purchase the Troon card so I can go often without breaking the bank. Looking for guidance/suggestions. 

Course Requirements: 

• Within 30-minute drive
  • Challenging layout
  • Good practice facility, with range, short game area, and putting/chipping green.
  • Ideally has leagues and/or social events, as I'll be looking to make friends in the area. 
  • Good instructor(s). My wife needs lessons and I like to get tuned up once or twice per year. 

The two main contenders so far are Poston Butte and San Tan Highlands. I can't find any information regarding the practice facilities at Poston Butte. I believe San Tan Highlands is formerly Johnson Ranch, and reviews seem to have improved since they were bought out. I believe they have TopTracer tech on their range which is a plus. Poston Butte just seems nicer overall, but I'm basing that solely on course photos on the websites. 

The alternative is to purchase the Troon Card. It would give me more options for courses, but I'll likely end up spending more overall with how often I play. 

Would you suggest I go for the card, purchase an annual pass at a specific course, or just bounce around for a year before deciding where to join? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by mikeybabes92
Additional info added

Since you gave no parameters for joining a club, this is a no brainer for sure.  Join Encanterra.  The front gate is about a minute from your front door.  It is easily the best course in the area and has a reasonable practice area (practice putting green isnt ideal).  The course itself is pretty generous off the tee, but bunkering and green complexes have some good movement and placement.  It skews a bit older, but there are plenty of members your age to get to know.  Not sure where you are coming from, but the two courses you listed are public courses, so technically you cant "join" them.  Not sure about perks for pre purchasing rounds at either.  Both are serviceable courses with Poston Butte being the better of the two.  The only other private course in your vicinity is Seville G&C.  It probably fits better your social requirements than Encanterra, but it is like belonging to a packed public course with a chronically full tee sheet.  Encanterra is a better course than Seville, less encumbered by houses.  If true private is out of your range you may want to stick to the public golf nearby for the daily play.  You are a long haul from Troon courses.  The closest which is Power Ranch is on par with Poston Butte and Johnson Ranch but is nearly half an hour away.  It is not half an hour drive better than Poston Butte.

16 minutes ago, vallygolf said:

Since you gave no parameters for joining a club, this is a no brainer for sure.  Join Encanterra.  The front gate is about a minute from your front door.  It is easily the best course in the area and has a reasonable practice area (practice putting green isnt ideal).  The course itself is pretty generous off the tee, but bunkering and green complexes have some good movement and placement.  It skews a bit older, but there are plenty of members your age to get to know.  Not sure where you are coming from, but the two courses you listed are public courses, so technically you cant "join" them.  Not sure about perks for pre purchasing rounds at either.  Both are serviceable courses with Poston Butte being the better of the two.  The only other private course in your vicinity is Seville G&C.  It probably fits better your social requirements than Encanterra, but it is like belonging to a packed public course with a chronically full tee sheet.  Encanterra is a better course than Seville, less encumbered by houses.  If true private is out of your range you may want to stick to the public golf nearby for the daily play.  You are a long haul from Troon courses.  The closest which is Power Ranch is on par with Poston Butte and Johnson Ranch but is nearly half an hour away.  It is not half an hour drive better than Poston Butte.

Does Encanterra have non-resident/property owner memberships available?

Current WITB:

Titleist TSR3 9.5 - Ventus Velocore Black 6X / Tensei 1K Black 6TX

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 3+ - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 7X

Taylor Made UDI 2 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

Taylor Made P790 3 and 4 - KBS C-Taper 120S

Taylor Made P760 5-PW - KBS C-Taper 120S

Callaway MD5 Jaws 52.12 W and 58.12 X - DG 115 Wedge

Toulon Las Vegas 2022 - Stroke Lab 34"

4 minutes ago, darom86 said:

Does Encanterra have non-resident/property owner memberships available?

Actually, that is a good question.  The guy I play with has been a member for a long time and doesnt live in the community so I always assumed there was no requirement.  With the uptick in golf demand that may have changed.

29 minutes ago, vallygolf said:

Thank you. I should have given budget parameters. Encanterra was on my radar, but (a) I believe it's $60,000 to join (out of reach for me at this time) + $600 in monthly dues, and (b) I read on their website that they are currently only accepting applications from residents of that community. I still put in a call to connect with their membership director. Can't hurt. 

• Like 1

For the criteria you have laid out, you are SOL living in the EV.

Your best bet is get the Troon card and play Poston and Power Ranch, with occasional trips to Southern Dunes and Longbow.

Poston is a much older crowd.  Played this weekend and not sure there was anyone under 70 on the property except for me and the cart guys.  Poston has gone to a lottery system for tee times (for residents) so the public is going to be locked out of many tee times, except for random singles through the day.  Average chipping facility, good range, good putting green.  It sounded like the only leagues are the community ones.

ST/JR is an avg course that I would not want to play often.  Facilities ok.

The other option -  would be Lone Tree.  They have a very good mens league (every other week events if I recall) and they have a pretty good facility over all if you get their pass or whatever they do, the back chipping area is good.  

1 hour ago, hackeraz said:

What in the world steered you to decide on Queen Creek of all places? 

Well, we decided on Phoenix because we wanted sunshine and heat, and I've spent some time there for work and also have family there. We wanted a new construction, 4-bedroom/2+ bathroom home for $650k or less. Those parameters guided us to the EV. Sure, QC is further from the action than I'd like to be, but it was a tradeoff to get the home we wanted. 

Scottsdale is the dream, but it's just out of reach for us right now. Much of Queen Creek seems very "new" with plenty to do, and the area seems to be undergoing rapid development. My hope is that we'll build equity and eventually end up in Scottsdale. 

3 minutes ago, mikeybabes92 said:

Well, we decided on Phoenix because we wanted sunshine and heat, and I've spent some time there for work and also have family there. We wanted a new construction, 4-bedroom/2+ bathroom home for $650k or less. Those parameters guided us to the EV. Sure, QC is further from the action than I'd like to be, but it was a tradeoff to get the home we wanted. 

Scottsdale is the dream, but it's just out of reach for us right now. Much of Queen Creek seems very "new" with plenty to do, and the area seems to be undergoing rapid development. My hope is that we'll build equity and eventually end up in Scottsdale. 

Pretty much what I figured and nothing wrong with that. I just saw mid 30s and QC and felt sorrow for the island you'll be on. Thankfully it's a bit better than it was a decade ago and you have a few more options!  I use to play a summer soccer rec league way down there and it was a ghost town. Welcome to Arizona!!!

• Haha 2

yes, it’s a special place. i trust it’ll motivate to become a rock star money maker the next few years to get to scottsdale.

the dreaded 80-something mother in law lives in encanterra. she’s trying to sell and move. since i24 is open it makes the trip slightly less unbearable. i hear there are thousands of houses being built and they’ll all be rentals. oh boy. sorry for any negativity, but remember that people can conceal carry in az without any permit and it’s the road rage capital of the us.

gold canyon has a couple of courses. not sure of the prices or condition now.

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

11 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

yes, it’s a special place. i trust it’ll motivate to become a rock star money maker the next few years to get to scottsdale.

the dreaded 80-something mother in law lives in encanterra. she’s trying to sell and move. since i24 is open it makes the trip slightly less unbearable. i hear there are thousands of houses being built and they’ll all be rentals. oh boy. sorry for any negativity, but remember that people can conceal carry in az without any permit and it’s the road rage capital of the us.

Dont Get me wrong, I love living in the east valley, but it does have its quirks.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

Not sure what connection you're trying to make with concealed carry? 

8 minutes ago, hackeraz said:

that people can conceal carry in az without any permit and it’s the road rage capital of the us.

10 minutes ago, hackeraz said:

Not sure what connection you're trying to make with concealed carry? 

you might not want a confrontation about road rage?

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

15 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

you might not want a confrontation about road rage?

Someone that's going to rage like that doesn't have a worry about what's legal or not. In the most polite way possible, those things should stay on Reddit and not here. 

I had far more concerns and scary confrontations when I lived in Chicago than I have ever had in AZ. 

Edited by hackeraz
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly at your ages (I’m 38 my wife is 34), you should join Seville. Way younger than encanterra with a far better practice facility. I think you have to be 55+ to join encanterra.

im a member of Seville and whoever said it’s packed clearly doesn’t play here. Very easy to get tee times and the only rounds that even come close to 4 hours are tournament rounds. I whip around the track on a  regular basis. I think the courses are both fine, but Seville is def more challenging while still being fairly easy (both are on the easy side). 

great group of both guys and women and very welcoming. Best decision I’ve ever made.

Perhaps a less than ideal suggestion, but just over a half hour north of you is Alta Mesa Golf Club. (Golf only, not a country club). Two sided range, putting green, short game/bunker area.

Their fees/dues are noted on their website.

They recently regrassed the course. It's walkable, if that's desired, and the greens are tough to read IMO.

Might have a member or two on WRX that could get you out for a round.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rdhillman13 said:

Honestly at your ages (I’m 38 my wife is 34), you should join Seville. Way younger than encanterra with a far better practice facility. I think you have to be 55+ to join encanterra.

im a member of Seville and whoever said it’s packed clearly doesn’t play here. Very easy to get tee times and the only rounds that even come close to 4 hours are tournament rounds. I whip around the track on a  regular basis. I think the courses are both fine, but Seville is def more challenging while still being fairly easy (both are on the easy side). 

great group of both guys and women and very welcoming. Best decision I’ve ever made.

Huh?   Have you ever played Encanterra?   It sure doesn't sound like it - to say the practice facility is "far better' really indicates this.  The putting green at Seville is quite good - but to say "far better" is a huge stretch.  

And to say Seville is "more challenging" - well not sure anyone would agree with you.  The rating certainly doesn't.

EGC:  image.png.597f80f335007a858195b76b6bf46788.png

SGC:  image.png.054a8366c1b83d474a92063679eee1a2.png

The "packed" statements come from plenty of current and former members that were displeased with the situation at Seville.  So I guess you are lucky.

That being said - If Seville is not having the issues previously noted, then yes, it is a good facility with plenty to offer.

3 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Huh?   Have you ever played Encanterra?   It sure doesn't sound like it - to say the practice facility is "far better' really indicates this.  The putting green at Seville is quite good - but to say "far better" is a huge stretch.  

And to say Seville is "more challenging" - well not sure anyone would agree with you.  The rating certainly doesn't.

EGC:  image.png.597f80f335007a858195b76b6bf46788.png

SGC:  image.png.054a8366c1b83d474a92063679eee1a2.png

The "packed" statements come from plenty of current and former members that were displeased with the situation at Seville.  So I guess you are lucky.

That being said - If Seville is not having the issues previously noted, then yes, it is a good facility with plenty to offer.

I’ve only played it once. I just felt you could go full spray off the tee and have a fine shot in. The desert at Seville makes for tougher shots. Again, I think the courses are both fine, and not too challenging.

I really like the dining facilities at encanterra and think that’s its biggest leg up. My in laws just joined. Again, I think both are good spots, I just think the club community at Seville Is quite strong and leans young family. I do know plenty of people who complain, but getting a tee time really is quite easy unless you want the 7am tee time every Saturday or

something. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rdhillman13 said:

im a member of Seville and whoever said it’s packed clearly doesn’t play here

Packed as in the tee sheet is full from morning till mid afternoon an hour after the sheet opens.  Rounds aren't usually too slow, but rounds take 4 hrs.  Same 20 people have the first 10 tee times every single day.  All of that for 1300/month and 40k initiation.  Seville is a decent course, but golf isnt anywhere near its primary focus, and it isn't as good as encanterra.  FYI I played over 10 rounds at Seville last year, and 4 so far this year....as a non member.  They care far more about the bottom line than being a private course.  I do agree on the vibe.  Seville from a social standpoint is far better for a younger member.

Seeing your casual comment on securing a tee time, I will respectfully call a full pinocchio on that one.  The only person I have ever heard talk like that was the membership director who tried to recruit me to join.

Edited by vallygolf
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, vallygolf said:

Packed as in the tee sheet is full from morning till mid afternoon an hour after the sheet opens.  Rounds aren't usually too slow, but rounds take 4 hrs.  Same 20 people have the first 10 tee times every single day.  All of that for 1300/month and 40k initiation.  Seville is a decent course, but golf isnt anywhere near its primary focus, and it isn't as good as encanterra.  FYI I played over 10 rounds at Seville last year, and 4 so far this year....as a non member.  They care far more about the bottom line than being a private course.  I do agree on the vibe.  Seville from a social standpoint is far better for a younger member.

Seeing your casual comment on securing a tee time, I will respectfully call a full pinocchio on that one.  The only person I have ever heard talk like that was the membership director who tried to recruit me to join.

Precisely the same experience for me.  Never had desire to join Seville.