2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

longest drive (lets be honest)

last night i was in the midst of the slowest round in my life. we were approaching three hours as we got to the 9th tee (uphil par 4, narrow fwy), and i was just pissed to see that we still had to wait (after the monstrosity my partners had on the 8th green) anyways i stepped on the tee just fuming, took 3 wood and just went after it, just ripped it.

290 yd 3 wood. i just smoked the thing, probably the hardest hit ball in a while

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='JJGolfer' post='959956' date='Mar 10 2008, 11:37 AM']Both of mine longest drives were straight up no wind, or fast fairways just pure crushe-ness, one was at my home course on a par 5, [b]515 yards, put it beside the 150 mark (365), [/b][i][/i]the other was at the raven at lora bay, 375 par 4, water all the way along the right side, started it over the water cut it in, and ended up just in front of the green.[/quote]

Dude, thats hilarious!
A 515yard par 5 that you put to the 150yard marker equals 365yards?
Thing is, par 5's are very unique! They are measured on a very large curve over 3 shots to add up to whatever yardage they put on the card.
Tell me the name of the course and what hole it was and I'll give you the distance to the hole from the tee. I'm kinda guessing it's not 515yards!
Freakin' hilarious, everyone one of ya!
Gotta search around for Kyle's, he's gotta be in here too. He eats these posts up like no ones business.

[quote name='deepballer' post='1850801' date='Jul 29 2009, 11:57 AM'][quote name='JJGolfer' post='959956' date='Mar 10 2008, 11:37 AM']Both of mine longest drives were straight up no wind, or fast fairways just pure crushe-ness, one was at my home course on a par 5, [b]515 yards, put it beside the 150 mark (365), [/b][i][/i]the other was at the raven at lora bay, 375 par 4, water all the way along the right side, started it over the water cut it in, and ended up just in front of the green.[/quote]

Dude, thats hilarious!
Thing is, par 5's are very unique! They are measured on a very large curve over 3 shots to add up to whatever yardage they put on the card.
Tell me the name of the course and what hole it was and I'll give you the distance to the hole from the tee. I'm kinda guessing it's not 515yards!
Gotta search around for Kyle's, he's gotta be in here too. He eats these posts up like no ones business.
[/quote]

Last time I checked my grade 2 math, 515-150=365. Not hilarious, just math (ok, maybe grade 3).

Before you criticize like that, understand what you are talking about. In this case, maybe it was a curved hole and your reasoning about the actual yardage may be correct. However, since you do not yet know that, to criticize, then ask the question, is just plain ignorant. The hole I referenced above where I hit my long drive at St. Andrew's was a dead straight hole. Maybe this guy's was also.

Thank for your input, though. Always 'valuable' insights.

Titleist 915 D3 9.5 degree, Oban Devolution 6 (03 stiffness) 65g
TE Exotics CB2 3w 15 degree Proforce V2
Mizuno JPX 825 19 deg Hybrid fujikura s
Ping i20 blue dot, Rifle Project X 5.5
Cleveland RTX 588 56 degree, Rotex 2.0
Ping Anser 2i isopur

[quote name='deepballer' post='1850801' date='Jul 29 2009, 05:57 PM'][quote name='JJGolfer' post='959956' date='Mar 10 2008, 11:37 AM']Both of mine longest drives were straight up no wind, or fast fairways just pure crushe-ness, one was at my home course on a par 5, [b]515 yards, put it beside the 150 mark (365), [/b]the other was at the raven at lora bay, 375 par 4, water all the way along the right side, started it over the water cut it in, and ended up just in front of the green.[/quote]

Dude, thats hilarious!
[/quote]

Im here lol!

And yes 150 left into a 515yd par 5 does not equal 365 off the tee lol. No holes are measured as the crow flies, they are measured along the middle of the fairway on the angles of the hole. Still i bet it was 300+ so it was still a good hit.

I drove a 400yd par 4 at my home course, pretty straight hole but according to google earth my drive was around 365yds. Last hole at my home course it 520yd par 5, i drove to 140yds out, google earthed drive at 324yds. This is also a pretty straight hole which tails a touch right at around 150yds and in. Unfortunate those drives wernt 400yds and 380yds respectively but they were still LONG, especially the first one which is one of my longest ever.

[quote name='eaglecabport' post='1850826' date='Jul 29 2009, 01:11 PM'][quote name='deepballer' post='1850801' date='Jul 29 2009, 11:57 AM'][quote name='JJGolfer' post='959956' date='Mar 10 2008, 11:37 AM']Both of mine longest drives were straight up no wind, or fast fairways just pure crushe-ness, one was at my home course on a par 5, [b]515 yards, put it beside the 150 mark (365), [/b][i][/i]the other was at the raven at lora bay, 375 par 4, water all the way along the right side, started it over the water cut it in, and ended up just in front of the green.[/quote]

Dude, thats hilarious!
[/quote]

Last time I checked my grade 2 math, 515-150=365. Not hilarious, just math (ok, maybe grade 3).

Before you criticize like that, understand what you are talking about. In this case, maybe it was a curved hole and your reasoning about the actual yardage may be correct. However, since you do not yet know that, to criticize, then ask the question, is just plain ignorant. The hole I referenced above where I hit my long drive at St. Andrew's was a dead straight hole. Maybe this guy's was also.

[/quote]

Dude
I know what I am talking about. I am the world's smartest man! That microsoft guy keeps calling me for advice!
I don't have time for puny imbeciles so i'll make it short.
When some shart hits a "365yard" drive on a 515 yard straight par 5,,,,it's not a 365yard drive on a straight par 5. I don't even think there is truly a straight par 5.
If you are so determined tell me what hole you hit your long bomb when it was rock hard out at St. Andrew's and the wind was 60mph at your back.

[quote name='kylemacca01' post='1850865' date='Jul 29 2009, 01:31 PM'][quote name='deepballer' post='1850801' date='Jul 29 2009, 05:57 PM'][quote name='JJGolfer' post='959956' date='Mar 10 2008, 11:37 AM']Both of mine longest drives were straight up no wind, or fast fairways just pure crushe-ness, one was at my home course on a par 5, [b]515 yards, put it beside the 150 mark (365), [/b]the other was at the raven at lora bay, 375 par 4, water all the way along the right side, started it over the water cut it in, and ended up just in front of the green.[/quote]

Dude, thats hilarious!
[/quote]

Im here lol!

And yes 150 left into a 515yd par 5 does not equal 365 off the tee lol. No holes are measured as the crow flies, they are measured along the middle of the fairway on the angles of the hole. Still i bet it was 300+ so it was still a good hit.

I drove a 400yd par 4 at my home course, pretty straight hole but according to google earth my drive was around 365yds. Last hole at my home course it 520yd par 5, i drove to 140yds out, google earthed drive at 324yds. This is also a pretty straight hole which tails a touch right at around 150yds and in. Unfortunate those drives wernt 400yds and 380yds respectively but they were still LONG, especially the first one which is one of my longest ever.
[/quote]

You gotta post your swing dude!
I'm curious.

These threads are always a riot. With that said there are always extenuating circumstances that can lead to that one huge drive so there can be some validity to some of these claims. The longest I have ever hit was 358 aided by tailwind and landing on a downslope. Also 349 aided by a tailwind and hard fairway. The first one was witnessed by another wrxer. And yes sometimes course yardages can be manipulated with dog legs and such. A good example is I recently reached a 585 yard par 5 in two with a 235 yard second shot. Now this could have happened a number of different ways one hit a 350 yard drive which the numbers suggest i did. Two hit a 275 yard drive and cut the corner then hit 3wood 235 to the front of a green that is 40 yards deep. Option 2 is what really happened

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='deepballer' post='1850904' date='Jul 29 2009, 12:48 PM'][quote name='eaglecabport' post='1850826' date='Jul 29 2009, 01:11 PM'][quote name='deepballer' post='1850801' date='Jul 29 2009, 11:57 AM'][quote name='JJGolfer' post='959956' date='Mar 10 2008, 11:37 AM']Both of mine longest drives were straight up no wind, or fast fairways just pure crushe-ness, one was at my home course on a par 5, [b]515 yards, put it beside the 150 mark (365), [/b][i][/i]the other was at the raven at lora bay, 375 par 4, water all the way along the right side, started it over the water cut it in, and ended up just in front of the green.[/quote]

Dude, thats hilarious!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Dude
I know what I am talking about. I am the world's smartest man! That microsoft guy keeps calling me for advice!
When some shart hits a "365yard" drive on a 515 yard straight par 5,,,,it's not a 365yard drive on a straight par 5. I don't even think there is truly a straight par 5.
If you are so determined tell me what hole you hit your long bomb when it was rock hard out at St. Andrew's and the wind was 60mph at your back.
[/quote]

If you read my previous post before these, you would have seen exactly what hole at St. Andrew's I was talking about. I was on the New Course, and was #12 or 13. I cannot remember exactly the hole.

Those of you talking about google earth to see that your yardages were much shorter, obviously never did your own math on the course. If I am playing a course where the 'card' says my tees are 530 yards away but I see the marker in the ground where the yardage is from but my tee is actually 30 yards closer, then do the math. Some guy said his hole was 520, was 140 out and hit his drive 324 yards according to google earth....that is either some serious single or double dog leg hole or your tees were up (or both). Either way, ask questions before you criticize.

My hole at St. Andrew's was not a dog leg, the tee was maybe 5 feet elevated above the fairway and I already said I had a heavy tailwind and really hard fairways. Ah, wait, the hole may have been slightly off-straight by 5 feet. Ok, so the drive was 370, not 372. Forgive me.

Oh, and way to elevate yourself by using insults. That really shows your intelligence. I wonder what you are trying to compensate for by talking the way are have on each of your posts here? I think I know but will let others think of their own reasons.

Ping Anser 2i isopur

[quote name='eaglecabport' post='1851015' date='Jul 29 2009, 02:24 PM'][quote name='deepballer' post='1850904' date='Jul 29 2009, 12:48 PM'][quote name='eaglecabport' post='1850826' date='Jul 29 2009, 01:11 PM'][quote name='deepballer' post='1850801' date='Jul 29 2009, 11:57 AM'][quote name='JJGolfer' post='959956' date='Mar 10 2008, 11:37 AM']Both of mine longest drives were straight up no wind, or fast fairways just pure crushe-ness, one was at my home course on a par 5, [b]515 yards, put it beside the 150 mark (365), [/b][i][/i]the other was at the raven at lora bay, 375 par 4, water all the way along the right side, started it over the water cut it in, and ended up just in front of the green.[/quote]

Dude, thats hilarious!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Dude
[/quote]

If you read my previous post before these, you would have seen exactly what hole at St. Andrew's I was talking about. I was on the New Course, and was #12 or 13. I cannot remember exactly the hole.

Those of you talking about google earth to see that your yardages were much shorter, obviously never did your own math on the course. If I am playing a course where the 'card' says my tees are 530 yards away but I see the marker in the ground where the yardage is from but my tee is actually 30 yards closer, then do the math. Some guy said his hole was 520, was 140 out and hit his drive 324 yards according to google earth....that is either some serious single or double dog leg hole or your tees were up (or both). Either way, ask questions before you criticize.

My hole at St. Andrew's was not a dog leg, the tee was maybe 5 feet elevated above the fairway and I already said I had a heavy tailwind and really hard fairways. Ah, wait, the hole may have been slightly off-straight by 5 feet. Ok, so the drive was 370, not 372. Forgive me.

Oh, and way to elevate yourself by using insults. That really shows your intelligence. I wonder what you are trying to compensate for by talking the way are have on each of your posts here? I think I know but will let others think of their own reasons.
[/quote]

Your threats to me are minute.
You expressed yourself to me. I made no mention of your distance being wrong, Know that you brought it to my attention I have no problem telling you that more than likely you are wrong and your thought process of how you calculate needs to be revised.
Seriously, you think your longest drive was 372yards. That alone should trigger something.
As my original post, I am merely pointing out what every decent golfer should know at this point. Any hole minus the distance in cannot be added like that, no matter how straight you think it is. If it's longer than 300yards and it hasn't been measured on GPS it vary well may not be legit.
Yelling that the hole was perfectly straight and that your longest drive is 372yards holds no merit with me dude.

[quote name='deepballer' post='1851146' date='Jul 29 2009, 08:16 PM'][quote name='eaglecabport' post='1851015' date='Jul 29 2009, 02:24 PM'][quote name='deepballer' post='1850904' date='Jul 29 2009, 12:48 PM'][quote name='eaglecabport' post='1850826' date='Jul 29 2009, 01:11 PM'][quote name='deepballer' post='1850801' date='Jul 29 2009, 11:57 AM'][quote name='JJGolfer' post='959956' date='Mar 10 2008, 11:37 AM']Both of mine longest drives were straight up no wind, or fast fairways just pure crushe-ness, one was at my home course on a par 5, [b]515 yards, put it beside the 150 mark (365), [/b]the other was at the raven at lora bay, 375 par 4, water all the way along the right side, started it over the water cut it in, and ended up just in front of the green.[/quote]

Dude, thats hilarious!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Dude
[/quote]

[/quote]

You expressed yourself to me. I made no mention of your distance being wrong, Know that you brought it to my attention I have no problem telling you that more than likely you are wrong and your thought process of how you calculate needs to be revised.
Seriously, you think your longest drive was 372yards. That alone should trigger something.
As my original post, I am merely pointing out what every decent golfer should know at this point. Any hole minus the distance in cannot be added like that, no matter how straight you think it is. If it's longer than 300yards and it hasn't been measured on GPS it vary well may not be legit.
Yelling that the hole was perfectly straight and that your longest drive is 372yards holds no merit with me dude.
[/quote]

I thought if you shouted loud enough it became true, is this not right?

[quote name='kylemacca01' post='1851152' date='Jul 29 2009, 02:18 PM'][quote name='deepballer' post='1851146' date='Jul 29 2009, 08:16 PM'][quote name='eaglecabport' post='1851015' date='Jul 29 2009, 02:24 PM'][quote name='deepballer' post='1850904' date='Jul 29 2009, 12:48 PM'][quote name='eaglecabport' post='1850826' date='Jul 29 2009, 01:11 PM'][quote name='deepballer' post='1850801' date='Jul 29 2009, 11:57 AM'][quote name='JJGolfer' post='959956' date='Mar 10 2008, 11:37 AM']Both of mine longest drives were straight up no wind, or fast fairways just pure crushe-ness, one was at my home course on a par 5, [b]515 yards, put it beside the 150 mark (365), [/b]the other was at the raven at lora bay, 375 par 4, water all the way along the right side, started it over the water cut it in, and ended up just in front of the green.[/quote]

Dude, thats hilarious!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Dude
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Would assume I care about anything having merit with you. You do not have to believe me. It does not matter. Point is, par 5 I hit driver-SW. Whether it was a 372 yarder or 342 or (by your ridiculous math) 220, I do not care. I know what it was but I have no ego to stroke. It is all about score. I birdied the hole (yes, my SW approach kind of sucked) and that was all that really mattered, plus the confidence I gained from a perfect drive and a good score.

For whatever reason you feel the need to knock against other people or the need to compensate for some obvious deficiency of your own, those are your own reasons and your own problem. Is a shame that someone like you is even on this site when you are only here to tell everyone they are wrong.

Yes, master, you are god. May I please, please kiss your feet? You are all-knowing and I can only aspire to be like you. Then, I, too, could have an ego the size of Texas and be hated by everyone.

Ping Anser 2i isopur

Best I have managed recently was 297 in normal, flat conditions. I experimented with a 50 inch driver a few years ago (before the ruling) and caught one 368. No wind on that one but we were in a drought, the fairways were concrete, and the rough was non-existent.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='kylemacca01' post='1851152' date='Jul 29 2009, 03:18 PM'][quote name='deepballer' post='1851146' date='Jul 29 2009, 08:16 PM'][quote name='eaglecabport' post='1851015' date='Jul 29 2009, 02:24 PM'][quote name='deepballer' post='1850904' date='Jul 29 2009, 12:48 PM'][quote name='eaglecabport' post='1850826' date='Jul 29 2009, 01:11 PM'][quote name='deepballer' post='1850801' date='Jul 29 2009, 11:57 AM'][quote name='JJGolfer' post='959956' date='Mar 10 2008, 11:37 AM']Both of mine longest drives were straight up no wind, or fast fairways just pure crushe-ness, one was at my home course on a par 5, [b]515 yards, put it beside the 150 mark (365), [/b]the other was at the raven at lora bay, 375 par 4, water all the way along the right side, started it over the water cut it in, and ended up just in front of the green.[/quote]

Dude, thats hilarious!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Dude
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No, thats when you are yelling at the ball to turn or bite.
You think i'm getting under his guys skin yet?

[quote name='eaglecabport' post='1851209' date='Jul 29 2009, 03:45 PM'][quote name='kylemacca01' post='1851152' date='Jul 29 2009, 02:18 PM'][quote name='deepballer' post='1851146' date='Jul 29 2009, 08:16 PM'][quote name='eaglecabport' post='1851015' date='Jul 29 2009, 02:24 PM'][quote name='deepballer' post='1850904' date='Jul 29 2009, 12:48 PM'][quote name='eaglecabport' post='1850826' date='Jul 29 2009, 01:11 PM'][quote name='deepballer' post='1850801' date='Jul 29 2009, 11:57 AM'][quote name='JJGolfer' post='959956' date='Mar 10 2008, 11:37 AM']Both of mine longest drives were straight up no wind, or fast fairways just pure crushe-ness, one was at my home course on a par 5, [b]515 yards, put it beside the 150 mark (365), [/b]the other was at the raven at lora bay, 375 par 4, water all the way along the right side, started it over the water cut it in, and ended up just in front of the green.[/quote]

Dude, thats hilarious!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Dude
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Would assume I care about anything having merit with you. You do not have to believe me. It does not matter. Point is, par 5 I hit driver-SW. Whether it was a 372 yarder or 342 or (by your ridiculous math) 220, I do not care. I know what it was but I have no ego to stroke. It is all about score. I birdied the hole (yes, my SW approach kind of sucked) and that was all that really mattered, plus the confidence I gained from a perfect drive and a good score.

For whatever reason you feel the need to knock against other people or the need to compensate for some obvious deficiency of your own, those are your own reasons and your own problem. Is a shame that someone like you is even on this site when you are only here to tell everyone they are wrong.

Yes, master, you are god. May I please, please kiss your feet? You are all-knowing and I can only aspire to be like you. Then, I, too, could have an ego the size of Texas and be hated by everyone.
[/quote]

Dude, you are hilarious. I honestly believed you for awhile there 'till the whole kiss my feet thing.
Ha, you got me!

[quote name='eaglecabport' post='1851015' date='Jul 29 2009, 02:24 PM'][quote name='deepballer' post='1850904' date='Jul 29 2009, 12:48 PM'][quote name='eaglecabport' post='1850826' date='Jul 29 2009, 01:11 PM'][quote name='deepballer' post='1850801' date='Jul 29 2009, 11:57 AM'][quote name='JJGolfer' post='959956' date='Mar 10 2008, 11:37 AM']Both of mine longest drives were straight up no wind, or fast fairways just pure crushe-ness, one was at my home course on a par 5, [b]515 yards, put it beside the 150 mark (365), [/b]the other was at the raven at lora bay, 375 par 4, water all the way along the right side, started it over the water cut it in, and ended up just in front of the green.[/quote]

Dude, thats hilarious!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Dude
[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh, because 45 percent of 57 percent of 83 percent of the time courses have correct yardages, right?
I played par 3s that say 180 on the scorecard and are perfectly flat and hit 8 iron.
No I don't hit my 8 iron 180, more like 25 yards less than that, but my friends gps said a whopping 157 yards, and I decided on being short rather than long.
Point that everyone is trying to make is, the yardages are hardly ever right. I'm usually impressed if the yardage is within 10.

[quote name='eaglecabport' post='1851209' date='Jul 29 2009, 03:45 PM'][quote name='kylemacca01' post='1851152' date='Jul 29 2009, 02:18 PM'][quote name='deepballer' post='1851146' date='Jul 29 2009, 08:16 PM'][quote name='eaglecabport' post='1851015' date='Jul 29 2009, 02:24 PM'][quote name='deepballer' post='1850904' date='Jul 29 2009, 12:48 PM'][quote name='eaglecabport' post='1850826' date='Jul 29 2009, 01:11 PM'][quote name='deepballer' post='1850801' date='Jul 29 2009, 11:57 AM'][quote name='JJGolfer' post='959956' date='Mar 10 2008, 11:37 AM']Both of mine longest drives were straight up no wind, or fast fairways just pure crushe-ness, one was at my home course on a par 5, [b]515 yards, put it beside the 150 mark (365), [/b]the other was at the raven at lora bay, 375 par 4, water all the way along the right side, started it over the water cut it in, and ended up just in front of the green.[/quote]

Dude, thats hilarious!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Dude
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Okay, okay. I'll be the better man here!
It seems you may have grasped that you [b]cannot[/b][i][/i] measure a drive by minus the distance on the scorecard, regardless if you even paced the distances from the fixed stones on the tee blocks.
Assuming someone hit to the 150yard marker; on a 515yard par 5 or like you said had a driver SW on a par 5 which I am the first to believe can and will happen repeatedly; thats freakin' phenominal, just not 350+ phenominal!
Go on google earth and get me the exact co ordinates to the center of the green and I bet you if I draw a straight line back the distance on the screcard to the tees I'd end up back past or around the green before.
#1 at Doon Valley G & CC has a 535yard par 5 as their first hole and it is a very straight hole, you can litterally see the green from the tee. If you measure by google earth or Skycaddy the furthest you can go back on the tee blocks ( whichi is 10yard behind the fixed stone for the tips ) it measures 505yards. A 40yard difference! even then, you cannnot just subtract 40 yard from the hole and measure back from the center of the green to where you rolled.
Heres a link of that hole.
[url="http://www.kitchenergolf.ca/view_course.aspx"]http://www.kitchenergolf.ca/view_course.aspx[/url]
Tell we if that doesn't look straight!

I don't know. I hit it about 275 (edit - OK, I probably didn't hit it 275, but I had 130 left on a dead straight 405 yard par 4) upwind my last round. Tweaked my back in the process, and almost collapsed on the tee box. Had to stay home from work the next day. That's the hardest hit ball I remember for a while. I had around 200 yards left on a 525 yard par 5 once, but I cut some off, so I don't how far I hit it.

I normally probably carry a decently hit driver about 230 without much roll, but I've been working on my swing and seeing some significant distance increases, so hopefully I can push 280 or so at some point (total distance, not carry).

[quote name='deepballer' post='1853145' date='Jul 30 2009, 05:46 PM'][quote name='eaglecabport' post='1851209' date='Jul 29 2009, 03:45 PM'][quote name='kylemacca01' post='1851152' date='Jul 29 2009, 02:18 PM'][quote name='deepballer' post='1851146' date='Jul 29 2009, 08:16 PM'][quote name='eaglecabport' post='1851015' date='Jul 29 2009, 02:24 PM'][quote name='deepballer' post='1850904' date='Jul 29 2009, 12:48 PM'][quote name='eaglecabport' post='1850826' date='Jul 29 2009, 01:11 PM'][quote name='deepballer' post='1850801' date='Jul 29 2009, 11:57 AM'][quote name='JJGolfer' post='959956' date='Mar 10 2008, 11:37 AM']Both of mine longest drives were straight up no wind, or fast fairways just pure crushe-ness, one was at my home course on a par 5, [b]515 yards, put it beside the 150 mark (365), [/b]the other was at the raven at lora bay, 375 par 4, water all the way along the right side, started it over the water cut it in, and ended up just in front of the green.[/quote]

Dude, thats hilarious!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Dude
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Okay, okay. I'll be the better man here!
It seems you may have grasped that you [b]cannot[/b] measure a drive by minus the distance on the scorecard, regardless if you even paced the distances from the fixed stones on the tee blocks.
Assuming someone hit to the 150yard marker; on a 515yard par 5 or like you said had a driver SW on a par 5 which I am the first to believe can and will happen repeatedly; thats freakin' phenominal, just not 350+ phenominal!
Go on google earth and get me the exact co ordinates to the center of the green and I bet you if I draw a straight line back the distance on the screcard to the tees I'd end up back past or around the green before.
#1 at Doon Valley G & CC has a 535yard par 5 as their first hole and it is a very straight hole, you can litterally see the green from the tee. If you measure by google earth or Skycaddy the furthest you can go back on the tee blocks ( whichi is 10yard behind the fixed stone for the tips ) it measures 505yards. A 40yard difference! even then, you cannnot just subtract 40 yard from the hole and measure back from the center of the green to where you rolled.
Heres a link of that hole.
[url="http://www.kitchenergolf.ca/view_course.aspx"]http://www.kitchenergolf.ca/view_course.aspx[/url]
Tell we if that doesn't look straight!

[/quote]

Yeah, that hole could easily be played with 2 dead straight shots in the exact same direction but you can see how they measure it going out to the right off the tee then back left in to the green. This is the kind of hole where you hit a good drive tight up the left then have 180 in and think you hit it 355yds where in reality it probably went about 310 (which is still good, dont get me wrong).

[quote name='ram01002' post='1853175' date='Jul 30 2009, 12:59 PM']Always funny what happens to the big hitters when they get on trackman for the first time . . . "machine must be broken" . . . "my back is a little tight," etc.[/quote]

Always. I love it when someone says they hit it 280, yet can't outdrive me when I'm only hitting it 225 on a bad day. This happens WAY more than you'd think. So, they claim I must be driving it 300! So, the next part is inevetable, they swing out of their shoes and slam it way out of bounds, then marvel at how long they just hit it!

I practice every single day, and I hit at least 120 balls a day. I know that they move the range as much as 40 yards up and 15 back, so on days when the range is 40 yards forward, all of a sudden every guy there thinks he's smashed it out to 300.

Heck, when they move it up 40 yards, it's a 235 yard carry to a lake behind the range, and I simply tell them to make a splash. They can never do it. It's sad.

Bottom line, in South Florida, at sea level, in humidity, your drives fly, maybe 220 if you're a decent hitter, 250 if you're a long hitter. I carry the ball 246 average when I uncork it, but try for more like 220 carry and straight as an arrow. The world champion long drivers hit it only in the 300s, and they swing the club 160 mph. Amateur golfers swing, on average, 90 mph. I swing 112, and this is considered somewhat extreme in the golf industry, and I need X flex in all of my clubs. And I don't bomb it 300 yards either.

[quote name='Shanks For The Memories' post='1853268' date='Jul 30 2009, 06:49 PM'][quote name='ram01002' post='1853175' date='Jul 30 2009, 12:59 PM']Always funny what happens to the big hitters when they get on trackman for the first time . . . "machine must be broken" . . . "my back is a little tight," etc.[/quote]

Always. I love it when someone says they hit it 280, yet can't outdrive me when I'm only hitting it 225 on a bad day. This happens WAY more than you'd think. So, they claim I must be driving it 300! So, the next part is inevetable, they swing out of their shoes and slam it way out of bounds, then marvel at how long they just hit it!

I practice every single day, and I hit at least 120 balls a day. I know that they move the range as much as 40 yards up and 15 back, so on days when the range is 40 yards forward, all of a sudden every guy there thinks he's smashed it out to 300.

Heck, when they move it up 40 yards, it's a 235 yard carry to a lake behind the range, and I simply tell them to make a splash. They can never do it. It's sad.

Bottom line, in South Florida, at sea level, in humidity, your drives fly, maybe 220 if you're a decent hitter, 250 if you're a long hitter. I carry the ball 246 average when I uncork it, but try for more like 220 carry and straight as an arrow. The world champion long drivers hit it only in the 300s, and they swing the club 160 mph. Amateur golfers swing, on average, 90 mph. I swing 112, and this is considered somewhat extreme in the golf industry, and I need X flex in all of my clubs. And I don't bomb it 300 yards either.
[/quote]

If you swing a legit 112mph and only carry 246 your driver isnt ideally set up for max distance. Guy like sadlowski carry the ball 370+ when they pure it, the longer hitters on tour carry it 300+. I agree though that guys massively overestimate their power. I was actually shocked the first time i was on a LM because i though my SS would be 110mph ish but it was infact just a hair under 120mph (this was last summer at the belfry on a vector pro). Ive played with plenty of 'big hitters' yet only ever played with 2 people who hit driver further than i hit my 3 wood on a consistent basis.

[quote name='Shanks For The Memories' post='1853268' date='Jul 30 2009, 01:49 PM'][quote name='ram01002' post='1853175' date='Jul 30 2009, 12:59 PM']Always funny what happens to the big hitters when they get on trackman for the first time . . . "machine must be broken" . . . "my back is a little tight," etc.[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm hard on all these guys who claim 360-400+ yard drives. I think their intentions may be okay, but it is an honest mistake to not understand why it seems they hit it that far. I agree the majority of golfers cannot carry the ball 230+ but anyone in here who has put the ball to within a wedge on a par 5 is not having problems carrying the ball 260+ or more.
The only way I wouldn't make a "splash" where you are talking is if i carried the other side!
What kind of range has water only 230yards out? Florida right? Must be the side heavily populated by the old retirees!

I hit a 431 yard drive on the 18th hole of the Plantation course in Kapalua, Maui, Hawaii.
If you know the course you will understand how that is possible.
The hole plays well downhill and the drive was assisted by an approximately 25 mph trade wind from my back right.
I pured one with a high draw & it carried forever in the wind and got a little roll also.
For record, my dad who hits maybe 190 total on a good drive, ended up over 300 yards.
A true bomber could probably get about 500 yards there if playing from the tournament tees in the right conditions.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 Speeder 661 Evolution IV X
Cobra Big Tour 13.5 3 wood Ventus Blue 7 X
Cobra Speedzone 18.5 5 wood @ 17.5 Ventus Blue 8 X
Titleist TS3 21 degree hybrid @ 20 Atmos TS Blue HB 8 X
Ping i210 5-9 Power Spec Steelfiber i110 S hardstepped
Ping Glide 2 Stealth SS 45, 50, 55, 60 KBS 610 Wedge 120 S
Ping Sigma G Ketch B