2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Anyone play with "replacement" single irons?

RoyalMustang

I lost my 8-iron last Sunday on my home course. I have no idea how: I was 165 out from the pin, hit my 8-iron, put it back in the bag (or so I thought), started pushing my bag toward the hole, and it was gone when I pulled it out again on 18. I went back and looked after the round and couldn't find it. 

It really sucks as it was a Mizuno MMC MP20 that I liked. Nothing special: DG 100X 120 shaft, regular velvet standard grip. But now I've got a weird hole and am wondering what to do. I really don't feel like shelling out $150 to get a matching iron built. I could pull it temporarily from a set I was planning on selling, but then I've essentially bought that set. I could get the head for not too much but then I have the shaft and the build costs et cetera. 

Has anyone played with a similar but not matching iron, and did it affect your game in any way? Thinking if I could find something with a similar weight for $50-75, it might work. This set was geting pretty beat up cosmetically and wasn't worth much.    

Get a matching club.  Otherwise, you will always wonder what might happen as you approach the ball.  You also might always wonder about the club when you hit a so-so shot.  There is a used one on eBay and a x100 shaft is cheap and available.

Someone might turn it into the clubhouse in a day or two.  Clubs often take rides home with people who mean well and just forgot to turn them in.  Doubt that anybody really needs a mp20 8 iron enough to steal it... but weirder things have happened.

Just now, jda said:

Get a matching club.  Otherwise, you will always wonder what might happen as you approach the ball.  You also might always wonder about the club when you hit a so-so shot.  There is a used one on eBay and a x100 shaft is cheap and available.

Someone might turn it into the clubhouse in a day or two.  Clubs often take rides home with people who mean well and just forgot to turn them in.  Doubt that anybody really needs a mp20 8 iron enough to steal it... but weirder things have happened.

Sounds good-yeah, I'll hold off. 

Normally I'd say this is WRX and a great excuse for a new set, but 3 straight engagements have fallen though and I haven't been staffed on a project for nearly 6 months now. Can't really justify that sort of expense! 

7 hours ago, RoyalMustang said:

I lost my 8-iron last Sunday on my home course. I have no idea how: I was 165 out from the pin, hit my 8-iron, put it back in the bag (or so I thought), started pushing my bag toward the hole, and it was gone when I pulled it out again on 18. I went back and looked after the round and couldn't find it. 

It really sucks as it was a Mizuno MMC MP20 that I liked. Nothing special: DG 100X 120 shaft, regular velvet standard grip. But now I've got a weird hole and am wondering what to do. I really don't feel like shelling out $150 to get a matching iron built. I could pull it temporarily from a set I was planning on selling, but then I've essentially bought that set. I could get the head for not too much but then I have the shaft and the build costs et cetera. 

Has anyone played with a similar but not matching iron, and did it affect your game in any way? Thinking if I could find something with a similar weight for $50-75, it might work. This set was geting pretty beat up cosmetically and wasn't worth much.    

https://www.ebay.com/itm/145571322346?itmmeta=01HRTHHE8M7AXENB28EB8YBHR9&hash=item21e4ba19ea:g:z68AAOSw7KVlsBw3&itmprp=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwMFc8igdZzjta2JKp7bq9h5nazZxM25Uhm1dM5sQw9FzzcjmW2IottigD1%2B2Yqq9EctK6winfq403%2Fjoo1XtRwJQdUZtZfGskuzE%2Fau3lWL1H0bzjdtELnH1ypcUyyPRe3PCY%2FzyxWBTS9e3LAni7TzcTiH0dp3q2PHNcliuE6UzzNZpzAFXZAHDtmSl5wl9RRz%2Bjk0r04xTfxF0YMUHTGv9Ais0X33axXRNx0TPJW%2BSvN75MKaIXKn4AJxQfJxOPQ%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR77kxdHGYw

1 hour ago, RoyalMustang said:

Yeah, I saw that, but I'd need a new shaft and then I'm into it for $120 for a beat-up 8-iron. Mine had wear but this one is just plain worked over. 

The 130x is a telephone pole. I love the 125x though. 

I do have a crazy cheap solution. 

Have your 7 iron bent 2* weak and your 9 bent 2* strong and you can somewhat make up the missing 8 gap .

27 minutes ago, hook_or_slice said:

I do have a crazy cheap solution. 

Have your 7 iron bent 2* weak and your 9 bent 2* strong and you can somewhat make up the missing 8 gap .

Exactly my thought as well. Maybe follow up with 6 iron 1 weak and PW 1 strong.

Cherry on top would be to extend the 9 and PW 0.5” to get a smooth length progression.

The time it would take to figure out loft adjustments to get it to match up correctly, plus look/feel difference just isn't worth.  5-PW I want a matching set.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

On 3/12/2024 at 11:24 AM, RoyalMustang said:

I really don't feel like shelling out $150 to get a matching iron built.

If it's a decent set of irons, shell out the $150 to get an equivalent rebuild.

From 1974 to 1994 I played MacGregor MT flatsole forget blades. One day when hitting into par 3 water hole, the head flew off my 7i and splashed into the lake. The club pro sold me a demo 7i from a set five years newer. But, I later regretted not getting an exact replacement.

One thing which might work for you. Buy that single missing MP20 8-iron  off of eBay, and then reshaft it with your specs.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I would check back with the course a few times- hopefully someone would turn that in.

I would be mentally stressed in this position as well. If the rest of the set is comfortably worn in I would not want to look down on a brand new single replacement. Nor would I trust a rando used purchase, to much variability so who knows what you are really buying.

Even if money was tight, I would be selling and putting the money towards another set. Other non-golf stuff would be sold to make up the difference. Thankfully I am only like this with golf equipment, and I know I am not alone!