Best custom putter builder / maker 2024 left handed and no budget

What is the best putter company to use for functionality? And who would you use for aesthetics?

I am thinking of building 2 putters, one to game and one more for show.  I was looking at Bettinardi what are other companies comparable to them?  They seem to build functional and aesthetically pleasing. I have no real budget 

Currently using a Scotty Cameron super select Del mar which I love, before that had a evnroll er6 which I was fitted for by txg in Toronto but I hate the way it looks at address and never liked mallets but my putting sucks with both lol

IMG_1556.jpeg

Edited by Pureputt19

You're gonna get a million and one answers on this. It's also going to depend on your budget, is it blank cheque or shoestring tight? 

Bettinardi I'd honestly look elsewhere unless you have 3k+ to spend on a putter then maybe have one with a build from them and what looks like you being a lefty are limited to 4 head shapes. But if you can afford that and like the lefty options go wild.

For straight performance I'd go Ping PLD or Artisan Golf which are both performance focused with looks being a secondary but not in a bad way. Ping you have to be fitted for a custom where Artisan I'm sure you could place an order but I'd opt for a fitting even over the phone. I'd say there are many other options but you sound to be lacking on the greens and best to get a performer. 

For the looks side well I could write a novel for this on options but depends on what you like, looking for and price. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

• Pureputt19 changed the title to Best custom putter builder / maker 2024 no budget

Thanks for the feedback!  I read about artisan, Bryce, tp mills and the ping pld I was in Scottsdale recently and they have their factory there looked cool. These are ones that seem more focused on functionality.

As for aesthetics i was looking at Mack made and mann krafted leaning toward Mack 

• Pureputt19 changed the title to Best custom putter builder / maker 2024 left handed and no budget
17 minutes ago, Pureputt19 said:

Thanks for the feedback!  I read about artisan, Bryce, tp mills and the ping pld I was in Scottsdale recently and they have their factory there looked cool. These are ones that seem more focused on functionality.

As for aesthetics i was looking at Mack made and mann krafted leaning toward Mack 

Both MackMade and MannKrafted make really nice putters, both have long threads here with many pictures. Each one does their work a little different so depends what you enjoy but you shouldn't be disappointed with either of them to be honest. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

I've got two Artisan putters.  They are simply amazing to putt with because they fit ME and my putting stroke/stance/style.  If you want a high quality putter that you know will fit you, go talk to John at Artisan and get fit then build the putter.  Artisan is starting to do some one-off customizations now as well from the recent pics I've seen on their IG.

That said, if I get another putter my next putter will be a Mack.  I know what my Artisan fitting measurements are, and I have every confidence that Josey can take those measurements and build a one-of-a-kind flatstick.  I just love what he is doing with his putters.

Edited by Maroon_19
  • Like 1

"Obviously you're not a golfer." ~ The Dude
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it
." ~ Ferris Bueller
"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight." ~ Ben Hogan

Woods:    Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5* (D,-1) - VA Composites Slay 65 Four | Callaway Rogue ST Max 15* 3W - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S | Callaway Rogue ST Max 20* HeavenWood - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S

Irons:      Artisan FC 4-P - Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff | Mizuno MX-20 4-P DG300S (when I am not getting along with the Artisans)

Wedges:  Artisan 50*, 54*, 58* - DG300S

Putter:     Artisan 0920 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie | Artisan 0220 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie

Ball:         Titleist Pro V1 | Bridgestone Tour B X

18 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Both MackMade and MannKrafted make really nice putters, both have long threads here with many pictures. Each one does their work a little different so depends what you enjoy but you shouldn't be disappointed with either of them to be honest. 

I know its so hard to choose. I just got into putters and had no clue there were so many great companies out there.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Maroon_19 said:

I've got two Artisan putters.  They are simply amazing to putt with because they fit ME and my putting stroke/stance/style.  If you want a high quality putter that you know will fit you, go talk to John at Artisan and get fit then build the putter.  Artisan is starting to do some one-off customizations now as well from the recent pics I've seen on their IG.

That said, if I get another putter my next putter will be a Mack.  I know what my Artisan fitting measurements are, and I have every confidence that Jamie can take those measurements and build a one-of-a-kind flatstick.  I just love what he is doing with his putters.

Do I have to go in person to get fit?  Or is there someone local in Toronto that could fit me and I take the specs to a builder? 

Edited by Pureputt19

19 minutes ago, Pureputt19 said:

Do I have to go in person to get fit?  Or is there someone local in Toronto that could fit me and I take the specs to a builder? 

Can go back to Club Champion or Modern Golf, I'd say Modern has the better setup since they have PuttView. Get your specs, call up Artisan with your specs and let John go through the rest to get you fit. Stuff like shape, neck, alignment, etc he has the knowledge for, having the specs just helps build a better putter.

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

I think Matt has summarized well.  I have just recently worked with Mack and Mann. They're both amazing. If you know what you're looking for both will make that happen for you, so you can't really go wrong.  Check out the picture threads on here.  Also check out their portfolios on Instagram to get a sense of where you might like one over the other from an aesthetics perspective because they're definitely different. 

I haven't done either of the Artisan or PLD experiences, but to me if you're going to do those you should go all in and head out there for the fitting and full experience as that's part of the calling card for both.  That's totally an opinion though.

Lefty

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9* / VA Composites Nemesys 65 X

3W: Taylor Made Stealth 2 Plus / VA Composites Drago 75 X

5W: Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max/ Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75 X

4H: Titleist TSR3 19*/ Oban Isawa Gold Hybrid 70S

5H: Titleist TSR1 23*/ Oban Isawa Godl Hybrid 70S

Irons: 6i/7i Srixon ZX4 MKII, 8-PW Srixon ZX5 MKII/ True Temper Project X LZ 6.0

Wedges: 49* 53* 57* Taylor Made Hi-Toe 3 Copper / True Temper Project X LZ 6.0

Putters: Mann Krafted MA66, Mack Made Jewell Slotted w/ LAGP, Yamada Musashi Burning Copper, Seemore Nashville MFGP2, Bettinardi Innovai 8.0 w/ LAGP Soho, Kevin Burns 9310 w/Stability Polar +More

22 minutes ago, LeftyNWisco said:

I think Matt has summarized well.  I have just recently worked with Mack and Mann. They're both amazing. If you know what you're looking for both will make that happen for you, so you can't really go wrong.  Check out the picture threads on here.  Also check out their portfolios on Instagram to get a sense of where you might like one over the other from an aesthetics perspective because they're definitely different. 

I haven't done either of the Artisan or PLD experiences, but to me if you're going to do those you should go all in and head out there for the fitting and full experience as that's part of the calling card for both.  That's totally an opinion though.

Yes this is what I was thinking to go in person,,,another person suggested I get fit at Taylormade he says they have the best tech but I feel going to Artisan or Ping would be better.

5 minutes ago, Pureputt19 said:

Yes this is what I was thinking to go in person,,,another person suggested I get fit at Taylormade he says they have the best tech but I feel going to Artisan or Ping would be better.

Artisan and Ping fit/build the putter for you, other brands you have to fit into the putter. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Artisan and Ping fit/build the putter for you, other brands you have to fit into the putter. 

So I couldn't take the specs from another fitter and get it built from Artisan, I am just trying to avoid a trip there as its a bit of a distance but I will be in scottsdale so the ping option would work well but thats in november i need some putters now lol

Edited by Pureputt19

1 minute ago, Pureputt19 said:

So I couldn't take the specs from another fitter and get it built from Artisan, I am just trying to avoid a trip there as its a bit of a distance but I will be in scottsdale so the ping option would work well but thats in november i need some putters now lol

You 100% can I'm just saying they'll build a putter to your specs instead of what fits better from their lineup. Go to a brand agnostic studio and get your specs, contact Artisan do the build and use your specs for them to build a better putter vs assuming what you think works. 

As for the Ping fitting be sure to book in advance but contact Ping Canada and they'll set it up for you. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

1 minute ago, MattM97 said:

You 100% can I'm just saying they'll build a putter to your specs instead of what fits better from their lineup. Go to a brand agnostic studio and get your specs, contact Artisan do the build and use your specs for them to build a better putter vs assuming what you think works. 

As for the Ping fitting be sure to book in advance but contact Ping Canada and they'll set it up for you. 

ok this is what i will do or maybe just fly out to artisan if thats the best way, I want a putter from them forsure 

• Like 1

You won't regret Artisan.  That's one of my lifer putters 

If you know your specs you can also just give those to Artisan and John can build to spec.    If you don't have your spec's would definitely recommend going and figuring those out just for your own education. 

I've got four custom putters from four different makers and am about to order a fifth 

Artisan is the best looking of the bunch and the most unique 

Compass / Legacy are probably the best feeling 

Byron is just timeless and not worth selling since he's gone. 

My next custom will be from Sink over in the UK.  I love a few of his head shapes and finishes.   

Love MackMades stuff and know a few people who have one and love theirs - just haven't really ever seen anything shape wise from him that I was over the top about outside of his widebody Hudson head. 

Edited by Phabs
  • Like 1

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Phabs said:

You won't regret Artisan.  That's one of my lifer putters 

If you know your specs you can also just give those to Artisan and John can build to spec.    If you don't have your spec's would definitely recommend going and figuring those out just for you're own education. 

I've got four custom putters from four different makers and am about to order a fifth 

Artisan is the best looking of the bunch and the most unique 

Compass / Legacy are probably the best feeling 

Byron is just timeless and not worth selling since he's gone. 

My next custom will be from Sink over in the UK.  I love a few of his head shapes and finishes.   

Love MackMades stuff and know a few people who have one and love theirs - just haven't really ever seen anything shape wise from him that I was over the top about outside of his widebody Hudson head. 

Sorry if this is a dumb question but can anyone figure out your specs?  Or is it better to go right to the builder?  Keep in mind going to the builder would cost me a minimum of $1000, but if I wait until November when I am in the states it would be a few hundred to make it out there.

Thanks!

Edited by Pureputt19

Just now, Pureputt19 said:

Sorry if this is a dumb question but can anyone figure out your specs?  Or is it better to go right to the builder?

Thanks!

You can get your basic specs by going through a putter fitting offered by tons of teaching pro's or club champion if nothing else is around. 

• Like 1

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

I would suggest not ordering anything until you've had a nice fitting and know what specs and putter shape you prefer. BUTTTTT....if you are ready to order and have no budget...the first putter I would get for Aesthetics is a bettinardi Hive of some sort. I love their aesthetics personally but I can't afford one.   

Second putter...fit well and used as a gamer on the course, I would definitely go to Artisan and have them work on a putter for you. Compared to many others out there, they are now a decent deal with a fitting and putter. 

If you are looking for some really custom stuff for fun, my favorite maker is Mannkrafted...but a guy like Josey at Mackmade can do anything you want for a good price. 

Edited by 5hort5tuff

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

9 hours ago, 5hort5tuff said:

I would suggest not ordering anything until you've had a nice fitting and know what specs and putter shape you prefer. BUTTTTT....if you are ready to order and have no budget...the first putter I would get for Aesthetics is a bettinardi Hive of some sort. I love their aesthetics personally but I can't afford one.   

Second putter...fit well and used as a gamer on the course, I would definitely go to Artisan and have them work on a putter for you. Compared to many others out there, they are now a decent deal with a fitting and putter. 

If you are looking for some really custom stuff for fun, my favorite maker is Mannkrafted...but a guy like Josey at Mackmade can do anything you want for a good price. 

I’ve decided to get fitted and send the specs to Mack I love his stuff. I’d make  something fun with him. 

I’ll be close to artisan and ping November so my next putter would be between those 2.  Any thoughts? I checked the forums haven’t seen much comparing them but both get great feedback,,,I’m leaning towards artisan seems like they would make something more custom to me then ping?

I have ruled out Bettinardi it doesn’t seem worth the money vs the other options out there, it’s about triple the cost, maybe I’d buy a otr from them one day. They don’t seem to have many lefty options either.

Others will have opinions, but the difference between PING and Artisan is about $500 and personal preference. I think Artisan is better bang for your buck and they make pretty nice stuff.  Ping offers a pretty atour level experience with limitations based on their PLD head shapes...neck styles...and finishes. Up to you. 

Bettinardi is super expensive....it's not for everyone.  If I was big rich I would own many.  Even Mackmade is out of my price range these days but you have to give credit where it's due. Great work. Greta decision on your end. 

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 

BBFandCo Roulette
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

5 minutes ago, 5hort5tuff said:

Others will have opinions, but the difference between PING and Artisan is about $500 and personal preference. I think Artisan is better bang for your buck and they make pretty nice stuff.  Ping offers a pretty atour level experience with limitations based on their PLD head shapes...neck styles...and finishes. Up to you. 

Bettinardi is super expensive....it's not for everyone.  If I was big rich I would own many.  Even Mackmade is out of my price range these days but you have to give credit where it's due. Great work. Greta decision on your end. 

thanks for the feedback this forum has been great!  

I was also wondering what material or finishes are lowest maintenance and don’t fade or wear out much.  If they do wear or patina over time what would this look like.  

3 hours ago, Pureputt19 said:

I was also wondering what material or finishes are lowest maintenance and don’t fade or wear out much.  If they do wear or patina over time what would this look like.  

Do some searching… there’s examples of every finish on this site. 

• Like 1

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

4 hours ago, Pureputt19 said:

Phabs is right...just go to the Artisan or Ping threads that are very long and you will see every finish. 

In a nutshell ...Carbon putters are the ones that typically rust or patina...and require the most care. Stainless putters the least care but usually not as rich in colour or finish options. Anything plated or coated is essentially maintenance free...

• Like 1

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 

BBFandCo Roulette
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

21 minutes ago, 5hort5tuff said:

Phabs is right...just go to the Artisan or Ping threads that are very long and you will see every finish. 

In a nutshell ...Carbon putters are the ones that typically rust or patina...and require the most care. Stainless putters the least care but usually not as rich in colour or finish options. Anything plated or coated is essentially maintenance free...

Thanks I will look into plated and coated finishes on the forums, I’ve read about torched too seems interesting.  I’m told most finishes will fade over time besides stainless, which makes sense

16 hours ago, Pureputt19 said:

Thanks I will look into plated and coated finishes on the forums, I’ve read about torched too seems interesting.  I’m told most finishes will fade over time besides stainless, which makes sense

I love torched finishes. Only downside is finish damage from things like fertilizer staining. You wont go wrong with a carbon steel head. Upkeep is not nearly as bad as some make it out to be. 

Any finish will wear; even plated finishes will wear with enough use. Sandy greens are the worst for finish wear. Just keep whatever you get wiped down and dry.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kb7 said:

I love torched finishes. Only downside is finish damage from things like fertilizer staining. You wont go wrong with a carbon steel head. Upkeep is not nearly as bad as some make it out to be. 

Any finish will wear; even plated finishes will wear with enough use. Sandy greens are the worst for finish wear. Just keep whatever you get wiped down and dry.

Thanks for the heads up I didnt even know fertilizer would stain.  And I didn't think much of water, could that ruin a regular stainless steel head like a scotty cameron?  

On 3/22/2024 at 5:17 PM, Pureputt19 said:

Thanks for the heads up I didnt even know fertilizer would stain.  And I didn't think much of water, could that ruin a regular stainless steel head like a scotty cameron?  

I’ve saw several stainless putters with little rust spots. Stainless steel isn’t rust proof. It is more resistant to rust than carbon steel. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/23/2024 at 5:44 PM, kb7 said:

I’ve saw several stainless putters with little rust spots. Stainless steel isn’t rust proof. It is more resistant to rust than carbon steel. 

It has a lot to do with what grade of stainless you use. Scotty got exposed a few years ago using a super low grade stainless and that is why a ton had rust spots show up. I have never seen an American 303 stainless steel putter rust putter

• Like 3

Engineer, machinist, tig welder, assembler, janitor at Mack Made Workshop.

Just now, josey said:

It has a lot to do with what grade of stainless you use. Scotty got exposed a few years ago using a super low grade stainless and that is why a ton had rust spots show up. I have never seen an American 303 stainless steel putter rust putter

That's why 303 a** is the best

Lefty - WITB Thread