Jump to content
2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Draw biased irons, what to do???


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

This spring started with me buying a set of the rack, the Cleveland Launcher XL Halo irons. I did this purchase based on me having back and hip problems that did not make my previous set of Titleist T300 with heavy stiff shafts perform att all. In rage l sold my T300 due to last seasons bottom results when l found these Clevelands on sale and l bought 6-pw with stock graphite regular shafts. After a few rounds a realize these hybridirons have given me a much higher ball flight that l love but has a draw bias built in and it is really hurting my game. Long irons are worse than the short ones and as the long irons are more hybrids l try to find if these clubheads are draw weighted compared to short irons. I also realize these irons have a very upright lie angle but l did not think it was a big deal compared to similiar options in from other OEMs. Last thing that l now been dwelling over is if shaft weight also promote draw as 61g graphite shaft is different from 115g steel. Offset is quite suttle in the Halos for beeing a SGI set. Now l do not know what to do. I could learn aim way right and hope the ball will draw back to target but l am not comfortable with it. Is the solution to buy a new set a la golfwrx style or tweek these Halos until it works acceptable??? 

Edited by harlequine
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are you still dealing with back and hip issues? 

 

I ask because if you are, then making a turn thru the ball and finishing the swing correctly is going to be difficult, to say the least, and a hook tendency from this is common as the club passes the body.

 

I think it's fair to say the the T300s and the Clevelands are among the easiest to hit irons on the market, though the shaft differences are pretty dramatic, and make it hard to sort out what's going on with those two sets.  (I think it's fair to say that the Clevelands are at least somewhat draw biased, and hitting those clubs and seeing a hook isn't a big surprise.  Still, there is a lot of gray area between "draw bias" and an unplayable hook.)

 

It's possible that your best (and maybe cheapest?) route forward isn't continuing to buy new irons or "tweaking" the ones you already have, but instead seeing a good teaching pro to find out what's going on with your swing and why you were unable to hit the T300s and are hooking the Clevelands.  At that point, you'd at least have some better information to go on, plus you might find that the hooks aren't coming from the clubs at all.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, bluedot said:

Are you still dealing with back and hip issues? 

 

I ask because if you are, then making a turn thru the ball and finishing the swing correctly is going to be difficult, to say the least, and a hook tendency from this is common as the club passes the body.

 

I think it's fair to say the the T300s and the Clevelands are among the easiest to hit irons on the market, though the shaft differences are pretty dramatic, and make it hard to sort out what's going on with those two sets.  (I think it's fair to say that the Clevelands are at least somewhat draw biased, and hitting those clubs and seeing a hook isn't a big surprise.  Still, there is a lot of gray area between "draw bias" and an unplayable hook.)

 

It's possible that your best (and maybe cheapest?) route forward isn't continuing to buy new irons or "tweaking" the ones you already have, but instead seeing a good teaching pro to find out what's going on with your swing and why you were unable to hit the T300s and are hooking the Clevelands.  At that point, you'd at least have some better information to go on, plus you might find that the hooks aren't coming from the clubs at all.

My back and hip are much better at the moment but l have noticed l use much more arms with less body rotation then before. I guess l have been more restricted using bodyturn but now when i move more free l am more of during impact. I feel these clubs  influence my swing so maybe l just have to see a pro to learn what is going on. All of my previous iron sets have never promoted a draw for me so thats why l do look for new clubs.

Edited by harlequine
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you like the way the clubs look and they feel good in your hands then just go get lessons to tune up your swing. It will serve you better than switching clubs back and forth. Sounds like you had some health issues that affected your swing path. Any other clubs will likely flight the same. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not a big fan of lessons because finding a teacher who knows what they're doing is like finding a needle in a haystack and in the end your body may still impact whatever you learned.

 

You could also see a golf club fitter because they use launch monitors which will give you valuable information about your swing plus you could hit some additional clubs to see if there is a difference.  Fitters know all club specs and how they will relate to your swing. 

 

Or you could go to a golf only store which also has launch monitors and clubs for you to try by yourself and test out different ideas, shafts, offset, no offset etc - plus this is Free.

 

If you can't get to a store, there are online used club retailers that will allow you to return any clubs that you buy for a refund or store credit less shipping.

  • Like 1

ATTENTION:  Views expressed are my opinions based on my experiences playing golf.  I reserve the right to change my opinions - without notice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve got a set of all hybrids, Cleveland 588 Altitudes with 55 gram stiff graphite, and play my normal fade shot regularly with them. Even gone from my long time standing OS grips to mid sized. I’m also coming from 115 and 130 gram steel as well. The XLs you mention are meant to hit the ball high. Quite possibly have them bent? Sounds as if you’re still compensating for the hip/back issues you went through,if so, it’s not the sticks. Just my 2 cents worth though. WHST’S A FEW ROUNDS?? Give them some time IF you like the way they look and feel to see how it goes. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, lambo428 said:

I'm not a big fan of lessons because finding a teacher who knows what they're doing is like finding a needle in a haystack and in the end your body may still impact whatever you learned.

 

You could also see a golf club fitter because they use launch monitors which will give you valuable information about your swing plus you could hit some additional clubs to see if there is a difference.  Fitters know all club specs and how they will relate to your swing. 

 

Or you could go to a golf only store which also has launch monitors and clubs for you to try by yourself and test out different ideas, shafts, offset, no offset etc - plus this is Free.

 

If you can't get to a store, there are online used club retailers that will allow you to return any clubs that you buy for a refund or store credit less shipping.

You and I have had VERY different experiences with teaching pros.  I haven't any trouble at all finding good ones, either by word of mouth, or watching/listening to them give lessons, or even by google reviews.

 

And I don't think it'll take Butch Harmon to tell the OP if the hooks are due to the clubs or a swing issue, especially for a guy who says he's had hip and back issues.  He's either using his hips correctly and then getting fully to his front side or he's not, and if he isn't, his timing better be that of a Tour pro, or he's going to see some unfortunate ball flight results.

Edited by bluedot
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Wouldn’t the easiest thing be to try some lead tape with different weighting locations and amounts? Seems a lot cheaper than a coach, lessons, reshafting or even hours of simulator time. 
 

If everything else the OP does during his swing feels ok then trying out an extra few grams on the toe of the clubs might be enough to keep the face open a bit

Edited by yinzerniner
Typo
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, harlequine said:

Interesting reading in all replies. I am a bit worried about going down in different rabbit holes to find out what l need and l realize time and money will have an impact on my decision. Quick fixes are tempting at the moment.

 

Many years ago (a few years after I had started to golf) I had a set of Callaway X-18 irons that produced a very reliable and consistent draw.  I'm sure my swing had something to do with it but before owning these irons it wasn't there. 

 

I decided to aim a little right which magnified the draw but there was a point where it balanced out.  It's kind of funny because my friends would always comment on the "nice draw".  All I wanted was to hit it straight, lol.

 

My quick fix would be to go with the flow and figure out your right of target aiming points for different yardages.

 

The correct way to do it is more involved and expensive.  Maybe a fitter could adjust your current clubs?

  • Like 2

 

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, harlequine said:

Interesting reading in all replies. I am a bit worried about going down in different rabbit holes to find out what l need and l realize time and money will have an impact on my decision. Quick fixes are tempting at the moment.

If they give you the launch and height you want, just play the draw….

  • Like 4

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Our picks

    • Tiger Woods - WITB - 2024 US Open
      Tiger Woods - WITB - 2024 US Open
        • Like
      • 47 replies
    • 2024 US Open - Discussion and Links to Photos
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2024 US Open - Monday #1
       
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Tiger Woods - WITB - 2024 US Open
      Edoardo Molinari - WITB - 2024 US Open
      Logan McAllister - WITB - 2024 US Open
      Bryan Kim - WITB - 2024 US Open
      Richard Mansell - WITB - 2024 US Open
      Jackson Buchanan - WITB - 2024 US Open
      Carter Jenkins - WITB - 2024 US Open
      Parker Bell - WITB - 2024 US Open
      Omar Morales - WITB - 2024 US Open
      Neil Shipley - WITB - 2024 US Open
      Casey Jarvis - WITB - 2024 US Open
      Carson Schaake - WITB - 2024 US Open
       
       
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       

      Tiger Woods on the range at Pinehurst on Monday – 2024 U.S. Open
      Newton Motion shaft - 2024 US Open
      Cameron putter covers - 2024 US Open
      New UST Mamiya Linq shaft - 2024 US Open

       

       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
      • 5 replies
    • Titleist GT drivers - 2024 the Memorial Tournament
      Early in hand photos of the new GT2 models t the truck.  As soon as they show up on the range in player's bags we'll get some better from the top photos and hopefully some comparison photos against the last model.
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 281 replies
    • 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge - Discussion and Links to Photos
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2024 Charles Schwab Challenge - Monday #1
      2024 Charles Schwab Challenge - Tuesday #1
      2024 Charles Schwab Challenge - Tuesday #2
      2024 Charles Schwab Challenge - Tuesday #3
       
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Keith Mitchell - WITB - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Rafa Campos - WITB - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      R Squared - WITB - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Martin Laird - WITB - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Paul Haley - WITB - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Tyler Duncan - WITB - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Min Woo Lee - WITB - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Austin Smotherman - WITB - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Lee Hodges - WITB - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Sami Valimaki - WITB - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
       
       
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       
      Eric Cole's newest custom Cameron putter - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      New Super Stroke Marvel comic themed grips - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Ben Taylor's custom Cameron putter - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Tyler Duncan's Axis 1 putter - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Cameron putters - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Chris Kirk's new Callaway Opus wedges - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      ProTC irons - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Dragon Skin 360 grips - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Cobra prototype putters - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      SeeMore putters - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
      • 0 replies
    • 2024 PGA Championship - Discussion and Links to Photos
      Please put  any questions or comments here
       
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2024 PGA Championship - Monday #1
       
       
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Michael Block - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Patrick Reed - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Cam Smith - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Brooks Koepka - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Josh Speight - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Takumi Kanaya - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Kyle Mendoza - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Adrian Meronk - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Jordan Smith - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Jeremy Wells - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Jared Jones - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      John Somers - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Larkin Gross - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Tracy Phillips - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Jon Rahm - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Keita Nakajima - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Kazuma Kobori - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      David Puig - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Ryan Van Velzen - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
       
       
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       
      Ping putter covers - 2024 PGA Championship
      Bettinardi covers - 2024 PGA Championship
      Cameron putter covers - 2024 PGA Championship
      Max Homa - Titleist 2 wood - 2024 PGA Championship
      Scotty Cameron experimental putter shaft by UST - 2024 PGA Championship
       
       
       
        • Like
      • 13 replies

×
×
  • Create New...