2024 3M Open What's In The Bag Photos ×

Draw biased irons, what to do???

Posted (edited)

This spring started with me buying a set of the rack, the Cleveland Launcher XL Halo irons. I did this purchase based on me having back and hip problems that did not make my previous set of Titleist T300 with heavy stiff shafts perform att all. In rage l sold my T300 due to last seasons bottom results when l found these Clevelands on sale and l bought 6-pw with stock graphite regular shafts. After a few rounds a realize these hybridirons have given me a much higher ball flight that l love but has a draw bias built in and it is really hurting my game. Long irons are worse than the short ones and as the long irons are more hybrids l try to find if these clubheads are draw weighted compared to short irons. I also realize these irons have a very upright lie angle but l did not think it was a big deal compared to similiar options in from other OEMs. Last thing that l now been dwelling over is if shaft weight also promote draw as 61g graphite shaft is different from 115g steel. Offset is quite suttle in the Halos for beeing a SGI set. Now l do not know what to do. I could learn aim way right and hope the ball will draw back to target but l am not comfortable with it. Is the solution to buy a new set a la golfwrx style or tweek these Halos until it works acceptable??? 

Edited by harlequine

Are you still dealing with back and hip issues? 

I ask because if you are, then making a turn thru the ball and finishing the swing correctly is going to be difficult, to say the least, and a hook tendency from this is common as the club passes the body.

I think it's fair to say the the T300s and the Clevelands are among the easiest to hit irons on the market, though the shaft differences are pretty dramatic, and make it hard to sort out what's going on with those two sets.  (I think it's fair to say that the Clevelands are at least somewhat draw biased, and hitting those clubs and seeing a hook isn't a big surprise.  Still, there is a lot of gray area between "draw bias" and an unplayable hook.)

It's possible that your best (and maybe cheapest?) route forward isn't continuing to buy new irons or "tweaking" the ones you already have, but instead seeing a good teaching pro to find out what's going on with your swing and why you were unable to hit the T300s and are hooking the Clevelands.  At that point, you'd at least have some better information to go on, plus you might find that the hooks aren't coming from the clubs at all.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, bluedot said:

Are you still dealing with back and hip issues? 

I ask because if you are, then making a turn thru the ball and finishing the swing correctly is going to be difficult, to say the least, and a hook tendency from this is common as the club passes the body.

I think it's fair to say the the T300s and the Clevelands are among the easiest to hit irons on the market, though the shaft differences are pretty dramatic, and make it hard to sort out what's going on with those two sets.  (I think it's fair to say that the Clevelands are at least somewhat draw biased, and hitting those clubs and seeing a hook isn't a big surprise.  Still, there is a lot of gray area between "draw bias" and an unplayable hook.)

It's possible that your best (and maybe cheapest?) route forward isn't continuing to buy new irons or "tweaking" the ones you already have, but instead seeing a good teaching pro to find out what's going on with your swing and why you were unable to hit the T300s and are hooking the Clevelands.  At that point, you'd at least have some better information to go on, plus you might find that the hooks aren't coming from the clubs at all.

My back and hip are much better at the moment but l have noticed l use much more arms with less body rotation then before. I guess l have been more restricted using bodyturn but now when i move more free l am more of during impact. I feel these clubs  influence my swing so maybe l just have to see a pro to learn what is going on. All of my previous iron sets have never promoted a draw for me so thats why l do look for new clubs.

Edited by harlequine
  • Like 1

If you like the way the clubs look and they feel good in your hands then just go get lessons to tune up your swing. It will serve you better than switching clubs back and forth. Sounds like you had some health issues that affected your swing path. Any other clubs will likely flight the same. 

• Like 1

I'm not a big fan of lessons because finding a teacher who knows what they're doing is like finding a needle in a haystack and in the end your body may still impact whatever you learned.

You could also see a golf club fitter because they use launch monitors which will give you valuable information about your swing plus you could hit some additional clubs to see if there is a difference.  Fitters know all club specs and how they will relate to your swing. 

Or you could go to a golf only store which also has launch monitors and clubs for you to try by yourself and test out different ideas, shafts, offset, no offset etc - plus this is Free.

If you can't get to a store, there are online used club retailers that will allow you to return any clubs that you buy for a refund or store credit less shipping.

• Like 1

Clubs:  King Cobra 454 Comp / Cobra LTDx Max 3 Wood / Srixon ZX4 Irons 4-P / Titleist Wedges - S Grind / SeeMore M7x      Note: Views expressed are my opinions based on my experiences playing golf.  I reserve the right to change my opinions - without notice. 

I’ve got a set of all hybrids, Cleveland 588 Altitudes with 55 gram stiff graphite, and play my normal fade shot regularly with them. Even gone from my long time standing OS grips to mid sized. I’m also coming from 115 and 130 gram steel as well. The XLs you mention are meant to hit the ball high. Quite possibly have them bent? Sounds as if you’re still compensating for the hip/back issues you went through,if so, it’s not the sticks. Just my 2 cents worth though. WHST’S A FEW ROUNDS?? Give them some time IF you like the way they look and feel to see how it goes. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, lambo428 said:

I'm not a big fan of lessons because finding a teacher who knows what they're doing is like finding a needle in a haystack and in the end your body may still impact whatever you learned.

You could also see a golf club fitter because they use launch monitors which will give you valuable information about your swing plus you could hit some additional clubs to see if there is a difference.  Fitters know all club specs and how they will relate to your swing. 

Or you could go to a golf only store which also has launch monitors and clubs for you to try by yourself and test out different ideas, shafts, offset, no offset etc - plus this is Free.

If you can't get to a store, there are online used club retailers that will allow you to return any clubs that you buy for a refund or store credit less shipping.

You and I have had VERY different experiences with teaching pros.  I haven't any trouble at all finding good ones, either by word of mouth, or watching/listening to them give lessons, or even by google reviews.

And I don't think it'll take Butch Harmon to tell the OP if the hooks are due to the clubs or a swing issue, especially for a guy who says he's had hip and back issues.  He's either using his hips correctly and then getting fully to his front side or he's not, and if he isn't, his timing better be that of a Tour pro, or he's going to see some unfortunate ball flight results.

Edited by bluedot

Posted (edited)

Wouldn’t the easiest thing be to try some lead tape with different weighting locations and amounts? Seems a lot cheaper than a coach, lessons, reshafting or even hours of simulator time. 

If everything else the OP does during his swing feels ok then trying out an extra few grams on the toe of the clubs might be enough to keep the face open a bit

Edited by yinzerniner
Typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, harlequine said:

Interesting reading in all replies. I am a bit worried about going down in different rabbit holes to find out what l need and l realize time and money will have an impact on my decision. Quick fixes are tempting at the moment.

Many years ago (a few years after I had started to golf) I had a set of Callaway X-18 irons that produced a very reliable and consistent draw.  I'm sure my swing had something to do with it but before owning these irons it wasn't there. 

I decided to aim a little right which magnified the draw but there was a point where it balanced out.  It's kind of funny because my friends would always comment on the "nice draw".  All I wanted was to hit it straight, lol.

My quick fix would be to go with the flow and figure out your right of target aiming points for different yardages.

The correct way to do it is more involved and expensive.  Maybe a fitter could adjust your current clubs?

• Like 2

Bag is in flux

3 hours ago, harlequine said:

Interesting reading in all replies. I am a bit worried about going down in different rabbit holes to find out what l need and l realize time and money will have an impact on my decision. Quick fixes are tempting at the moment.

If they give you the launch and height you want, just play the draw….

• Like 4

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip