dilemna, need advice

808xA

Hey guys/gals, looking for some advice. Beginner golfer (shoots anyware from mid 120s to low 100) swing speed is about 85-95 current set is:

Driver: Cally FTI 11* draw w/regular flex stock shaft

3wood: Adams Boxer w/regular flex

Hybrid: Cleveland HiBore 19* w/regular flex

Irons: Cleveland cg4 w/stiff flex

Wedges: Titleist spin milled vokey's 54* and 60*

Problems:

Driver is very inconsistent, it goes left, right, high, low, and straight.

3 wood is usually always right.

Hybrid will usually go right, but once in a while it goes left as well. Rarely straight.

High irons tend to go right, mid and low irons are fairly straight. All have a medium trajectory.

Questions:

Should I get fit for the existing clubs, or should I use them as a trade in and just get new clubs fitted? I know Carl at Par72 is a very highly regarded club fitter, but I also remember a post talking about the guy at Mililani golf course that's good with fittings for Pings as well. Well looking for any advice I can get.

Mahalo,

Kyle

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an observation.....

As a former Professional I think that your set of clubs is impressive and don't think you need to be custom fit for clubs if you shoot over 100. Your swing is going to change dramatically over the next couple of years and would wait.

I would get fit for your existing clubs, and get some lessons. Your money would be better spent with some lessons from a qualified PGA professional. Call the local section or check with the Hawaii Golfwrx guys here to find out where there is a good teacher over there.

That is just my opinion. You have a great set of clubs and it appears that you need some work on your swing, moreso than your golf clubs.

Dan

Driver: TM M4 Tour Issue
3W: Rogue
Hybrid: TEE
Irons: Callaway Apex Pro
54, 58 TM MG tour issue raw
Putter: PXG Gunboat H

Just an observation.....

As a former Professional I think that your set of clubs is impressive and don't think you need to be custom fit for clubs if you shoot over 100. Your swing is going to change dramatically over the next couple of years and would wait.

I would get fit for your existing clubs, and get some lessons. Your money would be better spent with some lessons from a qualified PGA professional. Call the local section or check with the Hawaii Golfwrx guys here to find out where there is a good teacher over there.

That is just my opinion. You have a great set of clubs and it appears that you need some work on your swing, moreso than your golf clubs.

Dan

Good advice above for you Kyle. :)

You might want to check out Joey/ da master 808....good for lessons and he's also a club fitter. He'll be able to help you with your swing and also tell you if you need some changes in your equipment. I know he's been working with three Hawaii GolfWRX'ers at the moment already..including me. :black eye:

You got some sound advise. From the desctiption of your shots, it seems more like the swing needs more attention than the clubs. But do get those clubs fitted so you know that you are starting your swing changes on the ground level and not having to compensate for the clubs. A new custom fitted set will just be shinnier versions of what you have and not be the cure of your woes. Then once you get your swing fixed, you can jump on the ho bandwagon and start blaming the clubs.

I think the cure is to get some new PING clubs! :clapping:

All joking aside...

If you're a 100-120 shooter I honestly believe that your you would not be a candidate for custom fitting at this time. The reason is that your swing is not repeatable and what we fit you for today wouldn't necessarily be the correct fit tomorrow.

My advice would be to get some lessons from a golf professional and work on your swing a bit. Once you've developed a consistent ball flight/path, you'd probably see more results from properly fit equipment. Additionally, expert repair guys such as TBC777 would be able to take it a step further by helping you with the finer details all avid golfers/golf nuts/better players desire and need.

Good Luck!

Da Mililani Guy

p.s. - Thanks for the plug guys!

I think the cure is to get some new PING clubs! :clapping:

All joking aside...

If you're a 100-120 shooter I honestly believe that your you would not be a candidate for custom fitting at this time. The reason is that your swing is not repeatable and what we fit you for today wouldn't necessarily be the correct fit tomorrow.

My advice would be to get some lessons from a golf professional and work on your swing a bit. Once you've developed a consistent ball flight/path, you'd probably see more results from properly fit equipment. Additionally, expert repair guys such as TBC777 would be able to take it a step further by helping you with the finer details all avid golfers/golf nuts/better players desire and need.

Good Luck!

Da Mililani Guy

p.s. - Thanks for the plug guys!

isn't it da kunia guy?

Cool thanks, for all the suggestions. Hey Joey, do you work on the weekends? I live in town, so I usually don't venture that far away during the week :clapping: . I guess the club ho inside of me just wanted a new set :clapping: , but seriously I don't mind making sure my driver is setup for me a little better. It's still under the 90 days at RD, and I really think the stock shaft (I believe it's like 46") might be on the long side for me. I'm only 5'5". Let me know what you guys think, especially regarding the driver.

Mahalo,

Kyle

Cool thanks, for all the suggestions. Hey Joey, do you work on the weekends? I live in town, so I usually don't venture that far away during the week :clapping: . I guess the club ho inside of me just wanted a new set :clapping: , but seriously I don't mind making sure my driver is setup for me a little better. It's still under the 90 days at RD, and I really think the stock shaft (I believe it's like 46") might be on the long side for me. I'm only 5'5". Let me know what you guys think, especially regarding the driver.

Mahalo,

Kyle

LOL Kyle..yeah..I think everyone here know's my ho-ing tendencies. Heck..I have Joey help me with my swing and he's my biggest pimp for clubs! ;) In my 2nd bag, everything but the Chikara's is from him! Including the staff bag as well! I always think it's easier to just buy but I know, working on the swing will get me better results then a new club. Even if it feels so much better just buying a new club. :cheesy:

As for your driver..I don't know how much RD's will like you cutting their stock shaft down and inch or so. You might consider reshafting it with something else and then if it doesn't work, stick the stock one back in before you return it. Big problem is with Callaway drivers, they're one of the harder one's to reshaft correctly due to the lack of a hosel and the special ferrules. Many club makers are more comfortable cutting off the old shaft, and drilling the leftover part out. Either that it's shoving a heated rod down the shaft which takes a bit longer.

Kyle

I agree with everything that has been said to you. Lessons and practice should be your priority.

I will give you a tip given to me 44 years ago when I took my first lessons.

I had been playing about three months and had a brand new set 1 2 3 4 woods Sam Snead blue ridge hey cost my Dad 36 bucks

My Pro gave me a lesson and promptly took my driver away from me and I mean took it my Dad laughed he told me he would give it back when I was shooting in the low ninetys.

Teeing off with a two wood did a lot to help my progress I was in the low ninetys in a few months but did not hit driver much until I was in the low eightys which was about a year from my first lesson

I am not sure I ever got that driver back I bought and old Macgregor tourney for ten bucks put a new grip on it and played with that four a couple of years.

You could do the same with 3 wood good luck to you

Ken