2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Fairway Woods

slicer365

help
I was looking for a fairway wood that I could hit off the deck. I use a Cleveland steel 15* 3 wood, this thing is the worst club I've ever owned. Can you recommend, a good fairway wood with a lot of forgiveness, that's relatively reasonably priced, and that would allow me to hit off the deck easier.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your looking for a forgiving fairway wood that will get the ball up, look at Adams.

I've got an Ovation 3 wood that gets the ball up off the tee, or off the grass/rough. I traded in my old Adams GT's for my Cleveland Launchers. My Fairway woods were the savior of my game at the time. About 1 month later, I went into some horrible slump with my Cleveland's, and went out searching for my old Adams FW's. I found one of the GT's, but went with an Ovation for the 3 wood. The Ovation is a fairly cheap priced FW (as most Adams products are). I hear good things about the RPM fairways. One caution when teeing up an Ovation is to tee it low, or it will balloon pretty high, but once I got that figured out, it's a great club.

You can buy sonartecs for $100 or less, I have seen many SS-02's for sale. The new Cleveland thin crown fairways are the clevelands that I am talking about. I recently purchased a 15* with a fuji pro 95 for 200. I never liked the older launchers either. The alpha reaction heads are nice also. I just saw a Sonartec SS-07 sale for 125 on GEA.

you could reshaft it, but to be honest with you to reshaft the cleveland with a NV or NVS it would probably be cheaper to just ebay one with the shaft you want. Personally if you think its just the shaft the highest launching shafts i've ever played are the YS series (ys6) and you can get those reasonably priced off ebay. If you're wanting a new club, the sonartec ss-02 and ss-07 both are more shallow faced for launching the ball higher, and if you look at the BST here and on ebay as well. I'm going to get a tour issue 904f probabaly and i'll let ya know how it does

Aerojet LS 9* - Aerojet LS 14.5* - Baffler 17.5* - Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

Golfdr, I'm talking about last years model. I'm thoroughly convinced it sux. I bought it on a whim, because it was 30% off and because I had an old Ping Eye2 Persimmon 3 wood. I like lee0073's comment about trying out the TiSI Tec. I saw one in Golf Warehouse a few minutes down the road.

Any opinions on the Callaway Steelhead fairway woods??? I saw one the other day, almost new.

The NVS will work well with the Cleveland. I put a 75 S untipped in a Launcher Ti 15 and it's a great combo. I hit it well off the deck and I don't consider myself a good fairway wood player. The new Cobras are easy to hit off the ground as are the SZs that are being closed out. The SZs have some draw bias so be warned if you are prone to left side misses. The Adams Redline RPM Ti FWs are underrated and easy to hit off the deck. They are also very cheap right now.

Epic Max LS 10.5

Steelhead XR 3-Heaven-9Ws

0211 5-GW

Glide 2.0 WS 54

Rally 58

Huntington Beach Soft Premier 8

Vero X1

Look for the lowest profile you can find - Orlimar Trimetal is great, and in the component world you can't do better than the Zero Tolerance Fairway Master. Neither will cost more than a round of golf, and both are very quick to get the ball up. You'll worry about skying them, but this doesn't happen as much as you'd think. Look for a 4w rather than a 3w unless your driver swingspeed is well over 100.

You may ultimately find, especially if you have a relatively upright swing, that a hybrid works better for you. The 16° TM is amazingly long, and so are many others - Sonartec 17°, Cobra Baffler 18°, Zero Tolerance Maximizer Plus, all will give results similar to all but the purest 3w, with much more reliability from the deck for many guys...

2017 M2/Matrix Ozik F6M2
Cally XHP 15°/Altus or 3Deep/Striper H2
Cobra F8 4-5/F7M2
Cally XHP23/Altus hb or Cally X-Prototype 24°/Program 95
6-GW Cobra Forged One Length on flighted Matrix Program 95 OR MP-H4 ON PROGRAM F15
Scratch D/D wedges
Bettinardi QB3

i recently went on a quest for a new 3-wood, one that was easy to hit of the deck (especially off the hard faireways of north texas) and easy to get up in the air. was currently using a nike t-40 tour 3 wood and it was easy to hit, but hard to get up. went out and got a nike t-60 ignite, taylormade rescue dual tp 14* and taylormade v-steel. overall the v-steel is the best. very low profile so it is easy to hit the sweet spot on the face. the ignite is good but can be tough to hit solid on a tight lie, but great off a teee. the rescue dual is great also, but i can't shape it as easily and the woods, but very easy to hit solid and get up in the air. the t-40 is good if you are looking for low and penetrating. i went and shortened the shaft on it (was actually 3/4" too long) and it is much easier to hit, but just low and i wanted something i could hit on to greens.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

The Steelhead line is a solid fairway wood. I like the 04 Big Bertha fairway woods. They are the best I have ever hit as I own a +3 and a 3.

Ping G430 10K 10.5 GD Tour AD DI 6 X Stiff 
Ping G430 SFT 3 Wood Tour AD DI 7 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood Tour 75 Stiff
Ping i530 5-UW Nippon Modus 105S

Ping s159 50/S, 56/W, 60/S Nippon Modus 105S
35 1/2” Ping PLD Mundy 

Wilson Staff Tour Model X

• 2 weeks later...

Listen to Moolman! Many people get caught up in the latest & greatest and who paid Golf Digest the most $$$ to rate their club the highest. It may not be the latest, but I have to vote for the T-Made Rescue 3-5-7 wood. I've hit others and keep coming back to this one. I do agree that the launcher 15* steel does suck. I hit one this afternoon when I saw a good deal and it wasn't happening. The titanium launcher model was better, but check out the T-Made Rescue wood, not the hybrid, the wood. They're good off the deck and fairways. If you like it you can get each for under $65. Let me know what you end up doing.

The latest Golf Digest reviewed/club tested the PING g5 and said something like the g5 is nice but the g2 was hard to beat paraphrasing.....

I may be looking for a G2 before spring after reading that or an TiSi Tec after reading this thread. I am so reluctant to buy anything that is new or hasn't been out for a while.

The Adams original tight lies are just about the only fairway woods I have had any luck with ever. They are a bit shallow though.

The Big Bertha 04 model 3 wood is nice but I just wasn't all that consistant with it. The easiest Cally fairway wood I have ever hit had to be the VFT line from a few years ago. Those things were sweet but still bring a slightly higher price on Ebay and from Callaway Pre-Owned.

• 9 months later...

I cant say enough about the Cleveland Launcher steel woods I own. I have a 13* 3 wood and a 19* 5 wood coupled with Accuflex Icon FH shafts. Off the deck or teed low, I often hit my best golf shots with these. I am currently adding a 21* 7 wood. I havent been able to find anything that I personally hit better than these on a consistent basis.

I will also state that Orlimar Trimetal clubs are also terrific off the deck. The plus version is better off the tee though.

Golfdr, I'm talking about last years model. I'm thoroughly convinced it sux. I bought it on a whim, because it was 30% off and because I had an old Ping Eye2 Persimmon 3 wood. I like lee0073's comment about trying out the TiSI Tec. I saw one in Golf Warehouse a few minutes down the road.

Any opinions on the Callaway Steelhead fairway woods??? I saw one the other day, almost new.

Ping never made a Persimmon wood. All their woods were laminated Maple.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I have an original Titleist PT 15 3 wood reshafted with a Penley Stealth 70 shaft cut to 42 1/4 inches (or 42 1/2 - cannot recall at the moment). This club is so solid and I can rip one off the deck as easily as on the tee. I am not afraid of using this 3 wood from the fairway or light rough, ever. I love this club. I could replace every club in my bag expect for this one.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on