equipment changes?

Clipperdrew

I don't know if it's just me but it seems like for the majoirty of the players that post in these fourms change there equipment quite often. I have often been accused myself of doing this. I feel that not nearly as much as some people though. I am just wondering what are your thoughts of equipment changes. Do they really effect your golf game. I know when i've switched my irons it took me a while to get the feel and touch down. I'm not as big into change when I was younger. just wondering what the fellow xers feel.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't change equipment very often. The times I do make a change, I always make it for a very specific reason. For example, last year I switched from Nike forged blades to Ping S59 tours. I was looking for a slightly more forgiving blade vs. the Nikes (even though I loved them) for help on my off days. Haven't looked back. Always change with a purpose and make sure to get fitted and TEST TEST TEST before you buy.

I tend to change equipment to help me address an area of weakness in my game. I track just about every type of shot that I play. Number of putts, penalty shots, full swings or pitches and chips. When I see an area that can help me lower my scores, I'll first practice at the range with my current equipment. If that doesn't seem to be fixing the problem, then I'll examine what else needs to be done. Sometimes its a change in equipment. I went through complete swing overhall just over 3 years ago, and I'm scoring lower now than ever before. I'm also practicing and playing more than I used to. Even with the improvements in my game, there is still a lot of room for improvement. So, I look at each club, and where I want my game to be. I may find it's time to move in another direction with a certain club. Some clubs do certain things better than others, and I try to find clubs that will fit my game now, and in the future. Sometimes I don't get it right with the first purchase.

For example, I just recently purchased a new set of irons. I need more feel in my irons to help me improve. My old irons were great at the time I bought them, and they did everything I wanted. In order for me to continue to improve on my ball striking and short game, I felt it was time to get an iron set with more "feel" than the old set. I do believe I made the right choice in my purchase, but only time on the course and range will tell.

For some people it is something to do and for others it is nessasary. Some people change beacuse they have'nt found the right head and shaft combo and have very specific qualifications that clubs must pass before becoming a staple in the bag. I personally went through an R7, a Launcher, a 905t with a stock shaft, and the final driver is a 905t with a custom shaft. This process was long, but I now feel confident in my equipment and probably won't cange for at least 5 or 6 years. The process can be crazy but golf is a crazy game. :)

I changed my bag a lot last year, but I think looking back it hurt my game more than it helped. Irons and Wedges I have found to be the hardest to switch (wedges can come with some exception, if you are say switching from a Vokey Oil Can to a Black Nickel, because the head shape is the exact same thing, they may just feel a touch different.) Irons are extremely tough to switch, so I have found a set of irons that is going to last me a while, because I am very comfortable with them right now. Like Golfdog said, once you switch any club in your bag, from putter to driver, you are going to have to gain a new feel for each club, and new distances especially for your irons and wedges.

I think a lot of people buy new stuff looking to find the answer, and when they have a bad slump with the club, some automatically blame the arrow and not the indian.

- Bryan

I don't switch clubs that often because I don't have the money to and my parents don't just go out and buy new clubs for me. But when I do have the money and I need improvement in my game and that certain club seems like it will do it then I will buy it. I am thinking about buying a new putter because the one I have right now doesn't have much feel and I don't like it.

i don't change my irons at all and have settled on the driver. always have 3-pw nike pro combos and nike ignite 410. the wedges i have two sets and it changes based on the course conditions (sand quality in bunkers, type of rough, etc...). putter varies depending on how i am putting and greens. typically use a scotty cameron newport beach. if i feel i am having a problem with lining putts up or greens are really fast i use my nike oz mallet. if i am having problems with speed or slight misses i use a yes callie. the woods/hybrids are where i make the changes. 3 wood varies on weather, course setup, and course conditions. typically its a taylormade v-steel. in the wind its a nike t-40 tour. lush fairways or a course where i would use the 3 wood mostly off the tee its a nike t-60 ignite. 5-wood/hybrid/utility iron varies on how the swing is, weather, course setup, course conditions. currently using a taylormade rescue dual tp 19* because it is forgiving, easy to get up and easy out of the rough. when i feel good about the swing or its windy i use a nike pro combo utility iron 18*. if i need distance and forgiveness and the swing is good i use a nike t-40 tour 5-wood.

for me, i don't really need to change my swing setup for anything so i'm really changing the setup to best match the conditions i'm playing as well as me.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

All right...I'll admit it, I change equipment waaaaaaaayyyy too much. Always swapping out drivers, woods or wedges, changing configurations of my bag. And I do think it has hurt my game. One of my goals--or make that vows--for 2006 is to focus on TWO things:

1) Better course management and 2) Minimize the equipment changes.

I've recently made over my bag (re-added a 5 wood and replaced the 4-iron with a hybrid) and these are the clubs I plan to make every honest effort to stick with through this year! Oh, maybe I'll switch out a putter now and then, just to get a different look and keep things from getting stale, but these are the sticks I plan to go into battle with each round.

Wish me luck... :)

I never change equipment, i can't imagine! Ok thats a huge lie, i change clubs every round, i like to experiment with new things, i know for sure it affects my game, you can't develope consistancy with a club if you change alot, but, i don't get paid to play so i figure who cares, it only hurts me, and i love to try new stuff, so i can't see me stopping any time soon.

Note: Unless the new Titleist Line up is a good as i hope, then i may not change so often, probably, but maybe not!

I changed drivers quite a bit. My irons are a little over 2 years old and I haven't changed my wedges in a long time. I will say this: GET FITTED IF YOU HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY!!! I went to the Golf Tour Trailer at Westfields GC in No VA and it was amazing! My irons were off as well as driver and FW. I was using the wrong flex shaft and my irons were too upright. The driver I was using had WAY too high a spin rate and my fairway wood wasn't where is should be nor was the flex. I will be going to the Nike Slingshot Tours, Hogan CS-3 10.5* (never would have played a Hogan until seeing the numbers myself on the launch monitor), and a TEE 3 wood (if you haven't hit this--OMG!!! I was hitting the 5 wood as far as my current 3...). Anyways, I think if you get fitted for clubs that are right for you things will be different--I might be keeping these bad boys for a while...

9° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 60 6.5
15° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
19° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
22° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
5-PW Srixon ZX5 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 50/54/58 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 0418