2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Nike Sumo Irons

The SQ SUMO has left the tee box. Nike PowerBow design and an ultra-light Cryo Steel face combine to deliver an expanded COR and high MOI. Now your entire game can experience the power of geometry.

SQ SUMO Iron Geometry:

Long blade length, wide sole and Nike PowerBow design deliver an extreme perimeter-weighted club and our highest MOI iron set yet.

Cryo Steel Face Insert:

Lightweight Cryo Steel material in the long irons (#4-#7) provides a large responsive sweet spot for maximum distance and increased forgiveness across the clubface.

Nike PowerBow Weighting:

Weight is to move the CG

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well since noone ever left a review for these I guess I will.

Ok these irons I would guess have the widest sole on the market.. They aren't big soles they are HUGE.

Now I like SGI irons so I thought these were gonna be a gift from god. They look super cool. Your buddies might laugh at you if there playing some TM blades and

your 5 iron sole is bigger than their PW..

The thick sole and the nike swoosh might gave the high handicapper the confidence he needs to step up to the plate, so I will give it a plus for that.

Now for the main event; Hitting the ball. These clubs don't sound bad but its different, they have a little plastic/rubber piece built into the club that provides

shock absorption. Now I never had a trembling shock go up on my body with mishits so it does work somewhat, plus the club head is so damn thick I am sure that helps too, But you can HEAR the shock absorber piece when you smack the ball. So its different. The ball flight is straight and good height, nothing out of the ordinary from other SGI irons ive hit, So I dont see a benefit or a flaw for performance. The ball seems to feel like it REFLECTS off the club head as opposed to compress into it giving a very solid impact but not that buttery warmth that some irons give you. Its all preference as to what you like your iron to feel like when it compresses a ball. I like to feel it melt and dissapear . These do not provide that feeling.

So all in all I will give the sumo irons a 4/5. I think they're good irons. I could play a good round of golf with them if you made me but with the SUPER wide soles and the feeling at impact, along with a not annoying but unique sound they wont be in my bag.

And a side not I have a sumo squared 3 wood 15* and personally I must add its not that great of a club. I have a 3 year old Cleveland launcher that destroys that nike in feel, launch angle and distance. And with a HUGE square head you better have an angel on your shoulder if your going to launch the sumo 3 wood from the rough.

• 1 month later...

I had been playing Titleist 775.CB's and just didn't hit my 5-7 irons all that well in that set (high, no distance, Mr. Slice, felt awkward). I bought a full set of Sumo's for pretty much nothing looking to really only take the 5-7 irons out. After hitting the whole set a few times I'm sticking to my original plan. The 5-7 irons in this set hit like hybrids, out and way up with run, without the hybrid bulk that can get distracting to me in higher lofts (I struggle with my 4h... may just use the 4i out of this set too). I can hit the 8 & 9 from this set, but with a large loss of control and feel. At the 8i, the soles just start to get too wide and the dampening insert starts becoming more of a hinderance than a help.

The PW and AW are unhittable and completely worthless in my opinion. You can't do anything with a 50* iron with a 2" wide sole except hit rockets that run out 10 yards. The PW isn't much better. I came across a cheap set of 804.OS's that I'll take the 8-PW out of. My first instinct is to say that Nike could have put more thought into the set, but I suppose that these are geared more towards super, super game improvement and I'm using them wrong :)

The other thing that attracted me to this set may be what others don't like about it. They are extremely upright and long. Even Titleist are more upright than most and this set was another degree up. If you aren't struggling with a slice and maybe not quite tall (I'm 6'), that degree more upright and the added length could cause problems. It does nothing but help me :D

As for the shaft, I ended up with the stock True Temper Speed Step SL regular. I had set out looking for the graphite iDiamana, but those proved to be much more popular and expensive. I was very impressed with the weight of the shaft right away. My 775 set had Rifle Flighted 5.0 shafts and the SLs were noticeably lighter. I could feel the club head much better and it felt like I was getting better club head speed. I carry my 4h with a stiff hDiamana about 180 and I hit this 5i with the steel about 170. Again, works perfect for me.

I'm giving the set a 4. I think that this is an underappreciated super game improvement set. The value now (new sets with graphite for 160-200, steel 140-180 on eBay from reputable sellers) is so low that I think everyone in this category should have a look before they're gone. My assumption is that Nike is clearing these out in preparation for either a new Dymo line of irons or collapsing of the lines to just Slingshot and Victory Red.

Callaway FT-iZ 11*, TEE XCG-V 16.5*
Wilson Fybrid 19.5*, Adams Pro Gold 23*
Callaway FT 5-9
Ping Tour-W 47*, 54*, 58*, 64*
Yes! Sophia
Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow

• 1 month later...

For anyone curious, I got Nike to email me the offset measurements for these clubs:

3 iron .255"

4 iron .245"

5 iron .215"

6 iron .195"

7 iron .185"

8 iron .175"

9 iron .165"

PW .155"

AW .155"

SW .150"

Callaway FT-iZ 11*, TEE XCG-V 16.5*
Wilson Fybrid 19.5*, Adams Pro Gold 23*
Callaway FT 5-9
Ping Tour-W 47*, 54*, 58*, 64*
Yes! Sophia
Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow

• 1 year later...

I have played these for two years now. I hit several SGI clubs at Edwin Watts and settled on these based on feel and look at address. They have less offset than the G15, and I got them for 300 after all the mods (+1", 4* up) two years ago, so that was influential as well. They don't have the sound of a blade on a well struck shot, but they also have no unwanted reversion on a poorly struck shot due to the perimeter weighting and the damper. You would only know a poorly struck shot by the ball flight because the sound and feel doesn't change. The sole is huge on these which helped a lot at first since I hit a lot of fat shots and tended to pick the ball. I have improved since then and now the wide sole, I think, is starting to be a hindrance on taking a proper divot after the ball because they dig and really tear stuff up. Anyway, as SGI clubs go, I give them 4/5, my only complaint is the look. the bright yellow insert is visible from space and could have been toned down for a more appealing look.