Nick Faldo's Equipment

Shah G

[quote name='HogansAlley' timestamp='1328025198' post='4184649']
[quote name='Trap Junior' timestamp='1328020878' post='4184301']
With Regards Faldos takeaway and backswing: As we know he used to take it back shut pre leadbetter. Then from 87-circa 91 he had the face more open with the toe pointing up at the sky or a little toed in when at the 9 o'clock position. From 92/3 onwards he had the face more closed again. The leading edge matched his spine angle on the takeawat. I know modern teachers teach this takeaway rather than toe up to toe up. Maybe Leadbetter changed his opinion on the takeawy he wanted??
[/quote]

I think you're right. I did read/watch something where Leadbetter states that he used to believe in toe straight up but had now changed his mind. I'll try to remember where.
[/quote]

Found it. See pre-set drill text.

[attachment=1004833:CCF31012012_00013.jpg]

[attachment=1004835:CCF31012012_00014.jpg]

I've got this article in my collection from golfworld and i'm sure here he's talking about fading it which is bloody hard from that position. He would have to re-route and pull so hard left to get the ball moving down the toe line. Compare this to the section on fading it in 'golf the winning formula' and 'a swing for life' and he has the club in a much better slot following the path he intends the ball to take off on.

I think he was certainly a little off in '94. No wonder his results were so inconsistent. Good to see the pics in colour mine are all photocopies!

[quote name='chip75' timestamp='1328028848' post='4184981']
Here's a couple of pictures from the March issue of Golf World from '94.

[attachment=1004605:FaldoMar94.jpg]

[/quote]

I think i remember this, is it from golf international many moons ago? Amazing really, he doesn't explain exactly why he's changed. Strange, because talking to jamie spence last year (who doesn't really have a good word to say about faldo! haha) he said leadbetter has lost popularity because he promotes so much cupping, the technique he favoured didnt generate enough power for todays players. Who knows? If i had the cash i'd say to leadbetter i want the suntory '89 swing, lets get to work!!

[quote name='HogansAlley' timestamp='1328040026' post='4186111']
With Regards Faldos takeaway and backswing: As we know he used to take it back shut pre leadbetter. Then from 87-circa 91 he had the face more open with the toe pointing up at the sky or a little toed in when at the 9 o'clock position. From 92/3 onwards he had the face more closed again. The leading edge matched his spine angle on the takeawat. I know modern teachers teach this takeaway rather than toe up to toe up. Maybe Leadbetter changed his opinion on the takeawy he wanted??
[/quote]

I think you're right. I did read/watch something where Leadbetter states that he used to believe in toe straight up but had now changed his mind. I'll try to remember where.
[/quote]

[attachment=1004833:CCF31012012_00013.jpg]

[attachment=1004835:CCF31012012_00014.jpg]
[/quote]

Quite right, Golf International. No explanation given by Leadbetter.

[quote name='faldofan1980' timestamp='1328041671' post='4186263']
I think i remember this, is it from golf international many moons ago? Amazing really, he doesn't explain exactly why he's changed. Strange, because talking to jamie spence last year (who doesn't really have a good word to say about faldo! haha) he said leadbetter has lost popularity because he promotes so much cupping, the technique he favoured didnt generate enough power for todays players. Who knows? If i had the cash i'd say to leadbetter i want the suntory '89 swing, lets get to work!!

[quote name='HogansAlley' timestamp='1328040026' post='4186111']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[size="3"]So what's new? Many years ago when having a lesson with David Sutherland at Stratford-upon-Avon he told me to think of the clubface 'looking at the ball' on the way back.
Different David,same result.
This is pre paralysis-by-analysis days when a good teacher would put you right in a way that suited YOU,the individual before textbooks and video cameras ruled the day.[/size]

One thing that Leadbetter seems to have changed aswell is the retention of the angle in the back of the right wrist all the way through the swing. Now he does not teach this. I know back then he was big into holding off the release as much as possible. Theres a couple of photos of faldo circa 1993 sandwich which show how severely he was holding it off. This is a move i believe he abandoned in the mid 90's judging by swing videos and photos. In later years he allows his hands and arms to swing down the target line with forearm rotation. In 1993 he was pulling hard left with the hands and arms after impact while holding it off.

Just seeing those GW interviews with Faldo, made me think of this GW documentary on his Open Championship career…

http://www.golfingworld.tv/videos/1021153912001/1267534916001/sir-nick-faldo-at-the-open-championship-part-1

It's in four parts.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned on this thread.

Also, to get back to equipment: I was looking at back at this thread to Faldo's 1990 bag for the Open. Didn't he use some Cleveland Classic wedges at around this time (rusty? Reg 588?)? Or am I completely mistaken?

On Faldo's technique I remember one article which was a US Masters preview with Faldo giving his ideas on how to play a few of the holes and techniques to use.

He was stressing the "holding off" of the clubface and mentioned that with the balls of the day being the way they were that the method was to squash it into the floor and try and play a big high fade on the approaches. It was an interesting article as he was saying "they wouldn't do it that way now".

Great thread guys.

That Aint Billy Bob!!

Nick Faldo WITB 1991

NickFaldoWITB1991.jpg

Here is Faldo using that Cleveland Classic 60 Degree Lob Wedge in November 1991.

FaldoNov91.jpg

Just seeing those GW interviews with Faldo, made me think of this GW documentary on his Open Championship career…

http://www.golfingwo...pionship-part-1

It's in four parts.

Also, to get back to equipment: I was looking at back at this thread to Faldo's 1990 bag for the Open. Didn't he use some Cleveland Classic wedges at around this time (rusty? Reg 588?)? Or am I completely mistaken?

Yep, a Cleveland Classic 60 Degree Raw 588 Lob Wedge.

I think his chipping was pretty good but never rated his bunker play at all. Always looked very very average to me.
He never seemed able to spin it out of bunkers or hit a high floaty one to a tight pin.

I would rate his overall game as thus:

Driving: 7/10 accurate but loses points on lack of distance
Wedge approach play: 8/10 pretty good here
Iron play: 9/10
Chipping/pitching 6/10
Bunker play: 5/10
Putting: 6/10

Obviously Im judging these over the course of his career and has obviosly had good days and bad days but this is how i see it.

I have some good stuff from faldo from golf international with sam snead but as of yet havent invested in a scanner!

[quote name='Trap Junior' timestamp='1328117628' post='4191817']I think his chipping was pretty good but never rated his bunker play at all. Always looked very very average to me.
He never seemed able to spin it out of bunkers or hit a high floaty one to a tight pin.

Chipping/pitching 6/10

Obviously Im judging these over the course of his career and has obviosly had good days and bad days but this is how i see it.

I have some good stuff from faldo from golf international with sam snead but as of yet havent invested in a scanner!
[/quote]

Are you having a laugh.. his bunker play was outrageous... I watched him for nine holes at wentworth well passed his prime.. three bunker shots, including one on the third hole up two tiers of green. lipped out two of them, and nearly took pin out on third..

Pre leadbetter his short game and especially his putting was considered exceptional by his piers and commentators such as peter alliss. From all the bbc footage i have from the late 80's and early 90's and majors i always thought his short game and bunker play was excellent, You cant win at augusta without having superior skills in these departments. Jamie Spence has said to me on more than one occasion that he and others like mark james have always admired faldo's touch around the greens, especially the spin control and judgement of pace. With regards to driving he was never short compared to the big 5, this is proved by a great deal of footage, some of which will be put up here soon, notably the big 5 tournament around wentworth from '88 and the '89 matchplay where he was out driving woosie. To have won over 40 tournaments, 6 majors, lost in playoff for the us open, a number of major top 3s, order of merit winner x2, all time ryder cup points scorer and world no.1 for 90 odd weeks i'd say all parts of his game during his playing peak were of a very high standard.

[quote name='Trap Junior' timestamp='1328117628' post='4191817']
I think his chipping was pretty good but never rated his bunker play at all. Always looked very very average to me.

Chipping/pitching 6/10

[/quote]

[quote name='The Gachet' timestamp='1328104822' post='4190783']
Just watching this again and I still can't believe that Hoch missed that putt and that Faldo bogeyed the 11th in all four rounds but then birdied it in the playoff !? Madness !!!
[/quote]

They way Hoch was aimed I'm surprised he hit the green with his second putt! It was right up there with Doug Sanders at St. Andrews who looked like he was going to drag the ball back and have another crack at it!

As for Sir Nick's bunker play I always though it was pretty good although he probably had one of the most open stances in the professional game.

Thanks, Gachet. I knew you'd be the man for this inquiry.

I think I remember this WITB cut-out from back then. Fancy calling his putter a TaylorMade Mallet - give it its proper title!

Nick Faldo WITB 1991

NickFaldoWITB1991.jpg

Here is Faldo using that Cleveland Classic 60 Degree Lob Wedge in November 1991.

FaldoNov91.jpg

http://www.golfingwo...pionship-part-1

It's in four parts.

Yep, a Cleveland Classic 60 Degree Raw 588 Lob Wedge.

Open stance indeed. Have you seen the Shell's Wonderful World Golf edition at Royal Westmoreland (1997?). Faldo against Tom 'man of god' Lehman? Faldo's bunker play sucked that day - I believe he left it two of them.

As others have suggested, I think his short game was world renowed pre-Leadbetter but it needed to be. He was long of the tee pre-metal too. Only proper ball strikers can send lumber 300+yards. Just think of his drive on the 11th at Augusta in the play-off against Ray Floyd.

[quote name='chip75' timestamp='1328126567' post='4192627']
[quote name='The Gachet' timestamp='1328104822' post='4190783']
Just watching this again and I still can't believe that Hoch missed that putt and that Faldo bogeyed the 11th in all four rounds but then birdied it in the playoff !? Madness !!!
[/quote]

They way Hoch was aimed I'm surprised he hit the green with his second putt! It was right up there with Doug Sanders at St. Andrews who looked like he was going to drag the ball back and have another crack at it!

As for Sir Nick's bunker play I always though it was pretty good although he probably had one of the most open stances in the professional game.

[/quote]

I have followed faldos career and never was impressed by his bunker play. His nemesis always seemwd to be a short high spin shot to a tight pin. He kind of thumped it out and ran it up to maybe 6ft where he could convert. Obviously he haf days where he may have gotten all of them up and down but over the time ive seen him mid 90's onwards I always felt it was a weakness. Obviously you could name a few occasions where he played them well but I could name a few where he made a sows ear out of it.

[quote name='Trap Junior' timestamp='1328128568' post='4192843']
I have followed faldos career and never was impressed by his bunker play. His nemesis always seemwd to be a short high spin shot to a tight pin. He kind of thumped it out and ran it up to maybe 6ft where he could convert. Obviously he haf days where he may have gotten all of them up and down but over the time ive seen him mid 90's onwards I always felt it was a weakness. Obviously you could name a few occasions where he played them well but I could name a few where he made a sows ear out of it.
[/quote]

Crikey.

I reckon he's one of the three or four best bunker players I've ever seen. He always seemed to be fantastically good from the sand whenever I watched him. He was certainly a thump and run merchant, and not a nip and spin man like myself or the best I've ever seen, Tony Johnstone, but I'd happily put him up with Johnstone, Seve, Olazabal and Paul Azinger as the best I've seen from sand in my time.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

Well, i found some stats from pga tour:

http://www.pgatour.com/golfers/001326/nick-faldo/performance-stats/#uber

Select year in the dropdown, go to 1996-1987 or so. Granted he didnt play many tournaments a year on the pga tour, but 35-50 percent might not be as good as expected.

However. A bunker shot on 18th the last day of a major - needing a save to win - there are few players I would have given better odds.

All in all, Faldo had a great swing, and was a very complete player with strong work ethics - but his his strongest asset was between the ears.

I've got a programme from the 1987 Lawrence Batley (signed by Faldo as it happens), and he's listed as leading the sand saves stats that year (up to the point that the tournament programmes were printed, presumably in July or August) with 81%. That's surely pretty good over the best part of a season.

As a sign of how things have changed, Sandy Lyle is up at the top end of the driving stats with, I think, an average of [i]267 yards[/i]. One of the longest hitters out there in his day, but with a Joe Powell and a Maxfli he was averaging the same sort of distance as most of the 12 handicap crowd reckon they drive it nowadays.

I've probably watched 25 or more rounds of Faldo's over the years, everywhere from pot-bunkered Open Championship venues to places like The Belfry, Fulford and St Mellion, and was lucky enough to get a close-up view a few years back of 25 minutes' worth of his bunker practice. I still say he was tremendously good. I've seen him hit any number of superb bunker shots, not including all the ones on the TV over the years. A sheet of stats from the mid/late '90s when he was well past his best may say one thing, but a set of eyes during his prime tell an entirely different story. He was very, very impressive indeed from the sand as far as I see it.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2