2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Grip size - how much differnce does one layer make?

aston14

Just got my new clubs and asked for 1 layer of tape under multicmpound grips. on the custom form from Titleist it said grip size was 1/64 oversized which translates to one extra layer of tape.

Is this gonna make any difference? Will I notice it? Don't really want to send my clubs back unless I have to.

Thanks

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. The MCC's have a very significant taper to them

2. One layer of tape+double sided tape is barely perceptable, UNLESS, they used a 58 vs 60 size, as on a 60 butt (most steel shafts) the 58's by virtue of getting stretched come out a bit oversize, and adding one layer of tape will make them feel a touch larger than standard. 60's on a 60, feels slightly undersize to me. Originally, standard mens was 1 layer of tape and double sided, with 58 on 60....over the years the OEM's have went thinner for more hand action I suspect to fight the slice

3. lastly, depends how they were installed. Hate when my grips are pulled vs pushed/slight pull on, as they stretch and thin-out, negating the effect you want

4. btw, if you do not like the feel of the taper in the right-hand, you could simply ask for extra tape (one or two wraps) in the right hand

5. as you can see fairly picky with how my grips feel, and hence do all my own grip work usually

i work in a golf shop, and from both a retail and personal experience i find one layer of tape can make little difference, normally when thickening grips we put on 2 extra layers of tape, normally one extra layor of tape just sits a lil better in peoples hand.

if you have smaller hands it may make a difference but i know a lot of people cant tell the difference between one layor and two.

To me it made a pretty big difference. At first I had standard sized Golf Pride Tour Velvet Cords put on, went to the range and was losing everything to the right, everything. They felt slightly large in my hands. So I had a new set put on, but this time stretched 1/2" putting them at 1/64" undersized which now feels perfect.

There is some misinformation in this thread - hopefully this will help clear things up some.

A .600 core grip on a .600 diameter shaft results in a men's standard grip.

A .580 core grip on a .580 diameter shaft results in a men's standard grip - the grip material is thicker in the .580 core grip.

This means a .580 core grip on a .600 diameter shaft results in a +0.020" oversize grip - considered +1/64 (which is really 0.015).

Each of these installations assumes one layer of grip tape.

Adding extra layers of tape will increase the size of the finished grip by the thickness of the tape. Duh. How thick is your tape? Standard masking tape is 0.0035" thick or 0.007" per wrap.

This means a .600 core grip on a .600 diameter shaft with one wrap is +0.007" oversize - so two wraps of this tape would equal +1/64 - actually measuring +0.014.

If you are using "thick" masking tape, that's generally 0.005" thick, so one wrap is +0.010" which is also considered +1/64 (0.015).

So - how many wraps you need to create a grip that's really +1/64 (0.0015) will depend on how thick your masking tape is...

Though there is a published standard for grip sizes, not all grips have the same taper, and not all grips result in a men's standard finished size when installed properly and measured 2" down from the butt cap. This measurement should be 0.090" when measured 2" down from the end of the grip cap.

Why is the actual measurement important? It's interesting when you are trying to hit a spec for a player. If you have your club builder regrip and ask for "2 extra wraps" are you getting 0.0035" tape or 0.005" tape or something else? If you have your grips built to +1/64, you should get what you ask for regardless of the buildup tape being used (could be none - .580 core on a .600 shaft ...)

Many manufacturers stock only a .580 core grip in their "custom label" grips.

This means they install that same grip on every shaft - .580, .590, .600, .610 - even .620 shafts.

They can only get away with this when they use very soft, stretchy grips like a Velvet or Wrap style, but it's easy enough to force a stretchy .580 core grip over a .620 diameter shaft so it allows them to maintain fewer inventory skews - and the majority of all golfers will not be able to tell the difference.

Remember that 95% of all OEM clubs are sold to guys who will never break 100 in their lifetime, and will never in fact even regrip their clubs.

The better player will replace those factory installed grips with something that fits him and his playing style anyway, so everyone wins.

-t

In order for two extra wraps to be equal to 1/32" - the tape would have to be 0.075" thick, that's all. It's just math.

1/32 = 0.031"

You cannot simply say that "2 wraps = 1/32" without knowing how thick the tape is.

That said, believe it or not general acceptance in the industry seems to be that +/- 0.010 is close enough though, so if Ping is using tape that is .005" thick, they are getting +0.020" for two wraps and calling that +1/32 - even though it's 0.011 too thin and should really be three wraps.

If you use the +/- 0.010 rule though, what's .020? Is that 1/64 (0.015) or 1/32 (0.031)? I guess it can be either...

Without having a factory +1/32 grip from Ping to measure however it's impossible to know exactly what they do.

-t

ck and -t,

Every major manufacturer has their own way to measure length, lie, and certainly grip size.

If a golfer wants to achieve a +1/32" grip size, they first have to determine which definition of +1/32" they want to follow. If they choose a PING Company +1/32", they must follow the installation format as chosen by the PING Company- which in a strict mathematical sense, as -t has so eloquently stated, is NOT the same as a true +1/32" oversize grip size.

The golf industry has very "wavy" methods of doing things and this is OK, just realize this and everything will be just peachy. Regards, 3

Golf Pride's specification for midsize is 1/16" over and oversize/jumbo is 1/8" over. From what I understand, Ping doesn't even classify grip size by midsize or oversize but simply by color code (yellow=1/32" over, orange=1/16" over).

It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf. -Robert Wilson Lynd

Golf Pride's specification for midsize is 1/16" over and oversize/jumbo is 1/8" over. From what I understand, Ping doesn't even classify grip size by midsize or oversize but simply by color code (yellow=1/32" over, orange=1/16" over).

That is correct, I did just assumed that 1/32 = mid size because it is the closest to a mid size grip, and a Ping fitter would have told a consumer that 1/32 is roughly equal to mid size. I've made changes to my first post.

PING G430 LST 9°
PING G430 LST FW #3
PING G430 HY #2
PING G410 Crossover #3
PING i525 #5,
PING i59 #6-PW
PING Glide 4.0 50°, 54°, 60°
PING PLD Anser 2D, Patina finish

CKGUY

You did "imply" that the Ping way is the correct way, versus just the Ping way.

I apologize if I sounded hostile and defensive earlier but I didn't like being told that I don't know a thing about my job by someone over the internet. However to say that I've implied that Ping's way is the absolute way is ridicules and subjective, I merely provided information that I know.

Whether or not 2 layers of tapes that Ping uses actually equate to 1/32 or not, this is what I was taught as Ping's specification for grip taping and I've never said it as anything more than that.

PING G430 LST 9°
PING G430 LST FW #3
PING G430 HY #2
PING G410 Crossover #3
PING i525 #5,
PING i59 #6-PW
PING Glide 4.0 50°, 54°, 60°
PING PLD Anser 2D, Patina finish

I apologize if I sounded hostile and defensive earlier but I didn't like being told that I don't know a thing about my job by someone over the internet. [clip]

I never said you did not know a thing about your job, only that 1/32" is actually a measurement, and not a specification. It equals 0.031" and is just a measurement. Nothing subjective about it.

If Ping calls something 1/32" that's actually not 1/32" - as a Ping employee you might want to know that.

Since you have access and inside knowledge, can you measure a Ping +1/32 grip at 2" down from the butt cap and tell us what it measures?

I would certainly be interested in knowing what Ping actually does here and I suspect others would benefit from your inside knowledge as well.

-t

• 1 month later...

how accurate is this information? i wasn't able to find it on the website and am currently looking to add tape to bring my multicompounds from a standard to a midsize. any help would be appreciated!

• 3 years later...

There is no one answer to how many wraps a person needs. You should go to your Pro who will be able to tell you. Saying that I have all Custom fitted clubs but wasnt fitted properly for Grips. After a session with another Pro he advised me to have grips built up under right hand. He put 2 wraps under left hand and 5 under right. Grips were GP Multicompounds. I hit a few balls on range with driver and results were instantly visible. I then got 12 other clubs in bag done to same specs. Not everyone has same hand size so the amount of wraps will difer. A good pro will be able to advise. Im down 2 shots in my handicap from just changing grips. I would advise all golfers to check this out.

If standard build up tape who is 0.015 is used on same Core/Butt

1 Layer = +1/64 = 0.915
2 Layers = + 1/32 = 0.930
3 Layers = + 3/64 = 0.945
4 Layers = + 1/16 = 0.960 = Mid Size
8 Layers = + 1/8 = 1.020 = Jumbo

Grip size is actually one of a few standards in Golf

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

• 1 year later...

Lots if very good information in this thread. The only thing I can add is on the actual tape. Many places use different build up tape and so they have varying thickness. If you as a customer want spot on numbers find a builder that uses tape by Mitchell which is 1/64. Other companies may have tape specs at 1/64 also.

[quote name='aston14' timestamp='1208977765' post='1035782']
Just got my new clubs and asked for 1 layer of tape under multicmpound grips. on the custom form from Titleist it said grip size was 1/64 oversized which translates to one extra layer of tape.

Is this gonna make any difference? Will I notice it? Don't really want to send my clubs back unless I have to.

Thanks
[/quote]

When a specific grip size is requested the builder should measure the installed grip to get the desired request.
If you think you know how to get what you want you should do all your club work yourself!
You have been advised correctly regarding how to enlarge grips however all this depends on the dia. of the shaft butt, the core size of the grip and the thickness of the build up tape.I would add that not all grips stretch the same way. I have gotten golfers that request 5 layers in the upper part of the grip and 6 layers in the lower part. I charged nothing for one layer but 25 cents for each additional layer (in this case 6 X 25) I would blow off the grip from one of the clubs and see more tape layers requested! Blow on a new grip and have the golfer try it on for size. WOW! This is perfect! To make the customer even happier I would waive the charges for extra tape!

All this prompted me to write a book! Title is "Do It Your self Dentistry For The Dexterity Challenged"
Don't ask for a free copy!.

• 6 years later...