2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Golf Guru 1.12 software beta - Feedback?

I was just curious to everybody that participated in the Golf Guru 1.12 software beta, if any major issues were found or what suggestions you had?

I didn't find anything major but I did notice a few little things that I reported.

• changing the distance from Yards to Meters was easy but when it was on Meters, the targets would still say "100 yards to target". It would seem like the users who chose the Meters option would like to see 100 Meters to Target or similar.
  • I also came across the need for different labels when I was mapping a course like DOGLEG or CARTPATH. These are not in the default dropdown so I suggested being able to make custom target names via the keyboard that is used when you name a course while mapping.

Golf Guru responded to both within a few hours and said they would look into them but I was just wondering if anybody else had come up with things for them to look at?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So- just to clarify--- this 1.12 allows user mapping/editing of downloaded courses?

Yes, except they have not got the bugs worked out yet. I found out after I did the update that I still could not modify a course. Here is the response to my email.

Mr. Goswick,

You didn’t do anything wrong, this was a oversight in the release. We have introduced a layering paradigm in the maps, and the version 1.11 target layer is locked. We are working on correcting it now and hope to have a fix out within the next couple of days. We will be in touch.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Darryl

Golf Guru Support

I also found bugs. I had previously mapped my home course and there is no ability to "modify" targets as indicated in the documentation. The course is treated the same as a downloaded course. All you can do is add targets and hide others, although I have not actually tried to do so. I looked at another downloaded course to see what I could modify and I got some target "error" and the unit locked up and I had to power off and back on.

I emailed my findings / frustrations and received a reply within minutes. You can't beat their customer service. Consider, too, they have little to gain as once you buy the unit you will not be spending any more money with them (no subscription fees) unless they come up with an even better unit a few years from now.

my user mapped greens got screwy too w/ the new updated. i'm not worried as they're already working on it plus the center of green distance was still accurate.

i did play my first three rounds w/ it over the weekend. incredible unit. spot on distances. the greens of my home course were mapped great. i still need to modify it and add more targets but even w/o that i'm very satisfied.

For you guys that tested the software update, did any of you actually modify a course? I played at a course that Guru just mapped for me and the yardages were + or - 20 yards on every hole. I was wondering if I modified yardages at the 150 & 100 yard markers if the rest of the yardages would adjust to the correct lengths? I emailed Guru to remap the course but I have not heard back from them yet.

I should note that out of the 15 courses that they have mapped for me so far this is the first one that was not up to par. I am still extremely satisfied with this unit.

I have really been singing the praises for this unit and Company but no longer! I got an email notice that they have fixed some bugs and version 1.14 was available for download. It has caused even more problems. It supposedly fixed the inability to modify user mapped courses so I did a test on my home course that I had mapped. Made a change to the type of target, saved everything including the course and now the course does not show up in my list of courses to play. It does show up in the course mapper but all that is left is the target I modified. All the time spent mapping the course myself wasted!

I select "play" for course A and Course B loads!

My annual subscription with SkyGolf is up in June. Looks like I will be re-upping with them.

Looks like you can add Golf Guru to the list of comapnies that talk a good game but can't deliver as promised. I am sure they will work things out eventually, but I refuse to used as a guinea pig anymore.

I have really been singing the praises for this unit and Company but no longer! I got an email notice that they have fixed some bugs and version 1.14 was available for download. It has caused even more problems. It supposedly fixed the inability to modify user mapped courses so I did a test on my home course that I had mapped. Made a change to the type of target, saved everything including the course and now the course does not show up in my list of courses to play. It does show up in the course mapper but all that is left is the target I modified. All the time spent mapping the course myself wasted!

My annual subscription with SkyGolf is up in June. Looks like I will be re-upping with them.

Looks like you can add Golf Guru to the list of comapnies that talk a good game but can't deliver as promised. I am sure they will work things out eventually, but I refuse to used as a guinea pig anymore.

If you uploaded your course to their site you can probably download it back on your guru from there. I downloaded the upgrade but it still will not let me modify a course. Looks like I need to make a phone call.

If you uploaded your course to their site you can probably download it back on your guru from there. I downloaded the upgrade but it still will not let me modify a course. Looks like I need to make a phone call.

I thought that might be an option, too, but it doesn't work like that or I could not find a way to download it. For some reason, the course I mapped and named got duplicated in my unit. The one that I could modify got totally corrupted; the other appears to the unit like a downloaded course and I can only hide and add targets. Not that I would ever trust modifying a target again. When I went into file management and gave up the ghost and deleted what was left of imy mapped course, the problem with selecting one course and having another come up in its place went away.

They have other problems, I download a course that has three nines and during the download all three are shown as being downloaded to the unit but only two show up in the course list.

I received another apology email from them. Apologies don't get it with me anymore. Of course, at the same time the apology is thrown out there, I get the "1000s of others aren't having these problems" BS.

I will have to try that reset trick and see if it makes any difference

It does not help to reset the unit. I lost one of my self mapped courses and one driving range. They informed me that they are testing a new utility for downloading user mapped courses tomorrow so I should be able to get my course back then. If you lost one of your self mapped courses contact them and ask to be a part of the Alpha test for downloading user mapped courses.

DO NOT TRY TO MODIFY ANY COURSE THAT YOU SELF MAPPED OR YOU WILL LOSE IT

I did the reset. Didn't do anything for me. I went into the File Management section and the self mapped course I had tried to modify was still listed there even though all that was left was the one target that I had modified. After I deleted the remnants of that file the problem with trying to play a course named "a" and having a course named "B" pop up was resolved. I will repeat your warning:

DO NOT TRY TO MODIFY ANY COURSE THAT YOU SELF MAPPED OR YOU WILL LOSE IT!