2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Ping WRX does it again

Riuzzi

BIG thanks to Morton's!
A while ago I contacted Jennifer from Morton Golf Sales to see if they could help me out with an old Ping Anser 020 that I wanted to get a couple of things done to.

The Anser is pretty old, and used to belong to my grandmother, she won it in a tournament many years ago. Sadly she passed away earlier this year, and I thought it would be nice to get something to remember her by.

Here are the things I had done:

New Ping blackout grip
New stepped shaft at 33.5"
Putter refinished to original finish
Sightline
Inscription on the sole
Tungsten weights to bring the headweight up - I don't know what it came out to exactly, I asked for it to be somewhere around 350-355 grams, but knew it would be hard because the head only weighed 303 grams before the refinishing. It feels very nice though, so I don't think the headweight is too far off.

Of course I forgot to take before pics, I was just so eager to get it out, but I did snap a few pics today of the finished putter just before sunset.

DSC00159.jpg
DSC00160.jpg
DSC00161.jpg

The face has very faint mill marks that you can barely see, it doesn't show up in the pics.

Overall I'm really really happy with the end results. I didn't want a new putter, but I wanted to turn the old putter into something was game-able if I decide to do so in the future. Right now it's just a nice memory of my grandmother.

Big thanks to Mortongolfsales!! It definitely isn't the last time that I'll use their services, even though I'm halfway around the world from them.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael..that putter looks even better the 2nd time then when I saw it the other week. :) Ever since then I've been thinking of doing something similar since seeing yours with my original gamer Ping Anser I had when I was 8 years old. It would be awesome to play it again and I'm sure you'll be filled with wonderful memories everytime you roll it. Have fun! :clapping:

Good job. Dont game it. Save it.

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

That's great looking, and even more special with the history :clapping:

I didn't know you could get work done on an existing putter. HMMM...This could be dangerous :)

Thanks for sharing

-CHRIS

Thanks Chris.

I don't know for how long PING WRX has offered this service, it was George/beruo that told me about it. The re-weighting is pretty expensive, but everything else is very reasonable. Looking at the end result it was definitely more than worth it :)

Michael, that is such a nice looking putter. It is too bad you weren't able to take some before pics, but considering how dinged up some of the Ansers look that show up on the 'bay, I'm sure the transformation was dramatic. Really, that is such a great putter with a storied history and will definitely be all the more valuable when it comes time for you to pass it down. Thanks for sharing. :clapping:

:hi:

Great looking putter. I reshaft and refinish old beat up ansers as a hobby - usually pimping them up a little - highly polished heads and stepless (rifle) shafts. A bit bright to game but look great in a case - I am getting a bead blasting unit soon to put the guyson type finish on.

The tungsten weights are spot on. How much did that cost?? I live in the UK, so have great problems in getting work like this done. Its something I have never seen before, but would love to have done to my old anser that I have had since I was a kid.

Fantastic piece of rememberance by the way. Treat her well!!!

Chris

Great looking putter. I reshaft and refinish old beat up ansers as a hobby - usually pimping them up a little - highly polished heads and stepless (rifle) shafts. A bit bright to game but look great in a case - I am getting a bead blasting unit soon to put the guyson type finish on.

The tungsten weights are spot on. How much did that cost?? I live in the UK, so have great problems in getting work like this done. Its something I have never seen before, but would love to have done to my old anser that I have had since I was a kid.

Fantastic piece of rememberance by the way. Treat her well!!!

Chris

Sorry for the late response, I just saw your reply Chris.

The tungsten weighting was by far the most expensive, I believe I paid just under $180 for it. I don't know if the price changes depending on the weight you want to add. I was actually just told by PING that they also have a WRX department in England, so they can probably help you out if you want to get it done to your old putter.

And thanks! :partytime2:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

[quote name='OR2BAJA' timestamp='1364455085' post='6712267']
I know I am resurrecting an old thread but I just wanted to let you know that this is exactly what I am looking to do with a putter. I am currently looking for an older anser and send to ping wrx to work their magic. The history of the putter is truly awesome and that putter is beautiful.
[/quote]

Thanks! :drinks:

Be sure to post a thread with your putter, I'd love to see the transformation! Ping WRX does awesome work.

This is the first time I've seen this post. Your old - new - now old again kick bottom Anser looks awesome and has a really cool history, which makes it even better.... Way to think outside the box!

I sent off a BeCu Asner2 to have tungsten weights added (to 355g) to the sole and a sound slot cut. Hopefully it will be here within a week. Keep an eye out...

Wow very nice. Thanks for sharing although knowing this can be done may become costly :)

Though much is taken much abides;
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
- Lord Tennyson

[quote name='beruo' timestamp='1213835931' post='1125406']
Michael, that is such a nice looking putter. It is too bad you weren't able to take some before pics, but considering how dinged up some of the Ansers look that show up on the 'bay, I'm sure the transformation was dramatic. Really, that is such a great putter with a storied history and will definitely be all the more valuable when it comes time for you to pass it down. Thanks for sharing. :friends:
[/quote]

How do you know which weights you will get, I have now seen 3 versions of the Tungsten weights, These shown above, the "zebra" style one and the circle plugs?

Tsr2 9*

BRNR Mini 13.5*

Gen 5 XF 17.5*

818 H1 20*/24*

Ping i210 6-P (29*-45*)

Ping iE1 50*/Ping Glide 3.0 54*/58*

Ping Fetch

[quote name='spring7' timestamp='1364587447' post='6721863']
Michael, that is such a nice looking putter. It is too bad you weren't able to take some before pics, but considering how dinged up some of the Ansers look that show up on the 'bay, I'm sure the transformation was dramatic. Really, that is such a great putter with a storied history and will definitely be all the more valuable when it comes time for you to pass it down. Thanks for sharing. :friends:
[/quote]

How do you know which weights you will get, I have now seen 3 versions of the Tungsten weights, These shown above, the "zebra" style one and the circle plugs?
[/quote]

As far as I remember, I specifically said that I didn't want the 'zebra' style weights. I'm guessing that the circle weights aren't as heavy as the ones WRX used on this putter, so it probably depends on how much extra weight you want to add.

Generally speaking, the milled putters (precision milled ansers, redwoods, specials) will receive the circular plugs. Cast putters, at least the classics tend to get the striped oblong plugs; haven't seen many newer models with plugs as those tend to be heavier, but I remember seeing an iN with the striped plugs. And the manganese bronze putters often see the plainer flat oblong plugs, though there are many examples of the striped plugs in the bronze putters, so again--not a hard and fast rule.

:hi:

I am looking at doing a starshot finish and possibly and having the face milled. I have been looking at getting a new one from morton golf and having them line up the work.

Once again that is an incredible looking putter has it seen any use or has it lived in all it's refinished glory?

Question to you guys,

New manganese scottsdale anser or new manganese anser? They are the same price and I cannot decide between the two and would like to hear opinions or differences of the two.

[quote name='OR2BAJA' timestamp='1364618114' post='6724483']
I am looking at doing a starshot finish and possibly and having the face milled. I have been looking at getting a new one from morton golf and having them line up the work.

Once again that is an incredible looking putter has it seen any use or has it lived in all it's refinished glory?

Question to you guys,

New manganese scottsdale anser or new manganese anser? They are the same price and I cannot decide between the two and would like to hear opinions or differences of the two.
[/quote]
I say go with the Scottsdale Anser. The cavity is cooler / more updated and you could do some custom painting options in the "PING".

[quote name='heinenkugels' timestamp='1364622274' post='6724651']

Question to you guys,

[/quote]
I say go with the Scottsdale Anser. The cavity is cooler / more updated and you could do some custom painting options in the "PING".
[/quote]

I am big on the custom paint fill so I will go that route I just got done messing around with painting my vokey's. Thanks for the response I will be getting the scottsdale for sure now.

Does anyone know the head weight on the manganese scottsdale? Thanks again for the replies.

[quote name='spring7' timestamp='1364587447' post='6721863']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Depends on what the head weight of the putter is and what head weight you want.

Question to you guys,

[/quote]

The starshot finish is only available on the redwood range.

I would go the Scottsdale Anser, it has softer lines and I prefer the rounded bumpers.

[quote name='OR2BAJA' timestamp='1364627739' post='6724773']
[quote name='heinenkugels' timestamp='1364622274' post='6724651']

Question to you guys,

[/quote]
[/quote]

I am big on the custom paint fill so I will go that route I just got done messing around with painting my vokey's. Thanks for the response I will be getting the scottsdale for sure now.

Does anyone know the head weight on the manganese scottsdale? Thanks again for the replies.
[/quote]

The Scottsdale manganese Anser is 316 grams

[quote name='bossofthemoss' timestamp='1364685571' post='6727469']
[attachment=1609627:image.jpg][attachment=1609627:image.jpg]
Here are a couple of photos of a Scottsdale manganese Anser. It's 34 inch, head is weighted to 360grams, sight line added to the flange and has a antique finish. The face is also milled, this has to be done when you add tungsten weights.
[/quote]

sweet!

Tsr2 9*

BRNR Mini 13.5*

Gen 5 XF 17.5*

818 H1 20*/24*

Ping i210 6-P (29*-45*)

Ping iE1 50*/Ping Glide 3.0 54*/58*

Ping Fetch

[/quote]

It has seen some bag time, but I don't putt very well with a plumber's neck. It's fun to take it out from time to time though, definitely brings back a lot of good memories!

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1364684716' post='6727411']
Great Story Riuzzi, Ive been a member for 4 years and had no idea you were from/in Denmark.
[/quote]

Thanks!

I try my best to hide my accent in my posts ;)

[quote name='bossofthemoss' timestamp='1364685571' post='6727469']
[attachment=1609627:image.jpg][attachment=1609627:image.jpg]
Here are a couple of photos of a Scottsdale manganese Anser. It's 34 inch, head is weighted to 360grams, sight line added to the flange and has a antique finish. The face is also milled, this has to be done when you add tungsten weights.
[/quote]

Man o man that is exactly and I mean exactly what I am looking to do. I can't believe how sharp that putter looks. Would you mind sharing some specifics with me via a PM about associated costs. Thank you very much for sharing those pics that putter is absolutely gorgeous.