First LM session...can this be right?

hacker101

First session on a LM yesterday and I was blown away at the results. Has anyone else scene numbers similar? Using the Callaway cart and replacable shafts.

FT/5 head 9.5 with 73X blueboard

SS 116-120

Ball 170-175

spin- 1600-1700

LA 6.5-8.5

carry distance 285-295

dispersion was fairly straight

FT/5 head 13 with 73X blueboard

ss and ball speed the same

LA 12.5

spin 2100-2200

carry distance 305-320

dispersion got tighter

I got similar numbers with the 13 head and a VS proto in 80s except the spin went way up. Fitter suggested the VS in a 80x if I went with that shaft but the blueboard felt so much better. The 13 degree head will be a tough pride pill to swallow but if the results are that much better on the course, I'm sure I'll get over it in a hurry. We tried the 9.5 in a grallaloy pro platinam and the numbers came up close to the 13/BB but the feel was not as pure and dispersion opened up.

Little bit of background on my game.

I play to a 3 hdcp. Draw irons, not what I call a low ball hitter with irons (Ping I10 awt -X). Fade the driver mostly to help me get it up in the air. Otherwise, I have to cant my shoulders to the right pretty steep to get behind and up on the driver. 6'04" by the way.

After seeing the numbers, I assume I do something with my hands that closes the clubface through impact to lower my launch numbers. I hit my current driver on the LM as well. G10 10,5 PL red and got too low of numbers. LA 6-8, sipn under 2000, and 285-290 distance. Here's my question. Is this enough info to order/build a new driver. The Rapture is supposed to be a high launching head. Could I get away with a 12* and what shaft. D2 is supposed to be a higher spinning head. 11.5* is as high as they go but what shaft. I mentioned those two because I prefer Ping and Titeliest products and the face ia square. Most other makers high loft drivers are or appear closed. Or, keep my G10 10.5 and experiment with higher launching shafts? Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

TM M2 9.5 Aldila Tour Green 65X
TM M1 3hl Aldila Tour Blue 75TX
Ping Anser 20* hybrid UST VTS silver 100S
Ping I200 4-UW Z-65
Ping I-15 4-UW Z-Z65
Cleveland RTX 3 54* and 58*
Odyssey Two ball Fang
Ping Hoofer 2014

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the 13* ft-5/blueboard73x is nearly perfect for you. its obvious you dont catch the ball on the upswing, but if you are getting those results with that club, id play it.

that 13* will certainly have a closed face. if you can handle that, do it. it'd be easy enough to buy the ft-5 and then have someone on this site who is experienced with callaway fusion pulls and a diamana dealer to tour clock the head to square.

Although your numbers with the FT-5 and 73-X Blueboard look good in relation to launch and spin, I would be concerned that it's taking you a 13 deg driver to get those results when you have ball speeds of 170-175mph.

I see two issues. One, a swing flaw that needs to be corrected. Two, the LM numbers are wrong. I'd go somewhere else and get another set of readings, then see how they compare before you make any decisions.

Good luck.

Ping G430 Max 10.5° | Fujikura Speeder Evolution II 569
TaylorMade BRNR 13.5° | UST Mamiya ProForce 65

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 18° | Mitsubishi Kai'li Red 65

Srixon ZX MKII 22° & 25° | Project X HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 70

Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal HL 6-GW | True Temper Dynamic Gold 95
Cleveland CBX2 54° & 58° | Rotex 90
PXG Battle Ready M16 Bat Attack

"Golf is assuredly a mystifying game. It would seem that if a person has hit a golf ball correctly a thousand times, he should be able to duplicate the performance at will. But such is certainly not the case." - Bobby Jones

Although your numbers with the FT-5 and 73-X Blueboard look good in relation to launch and spin, I would be concerned that it's taking you a 13 deg driver to get those results when you have ball speeds of 170-175mph.

I see two issues. One, a swing flaw that needs to be corrected. Two, the LM numbers are wrong. I'd go somewhere else and get another set of readings, then see how they compare before you make any decisions.

Good luck.

id agree with this. however, if you are a 3, id say play it because you are for sure a consistent ball striker and get good results. get another reading somewhere else before you purchase anything though.

i have the same issues that you do except my spin rates are much higher. i typically launch a 9* driver at around 9*. i am a 4 handicap and 6'4". my ss is just slightly faster than yours and i play a draw in every club but the driver. the driver may be the club that costs me the most during a round. i am currently working on improving my angle into the ball in order to improve launch that way rather than spend money on a driver then improving to a point where i would need another driver. however, those numbers with the 13* look about as good as you can get. i may have to go hit one just to see if i get similar results.

I believe in the LM numbers and trust the guy doing the fitting. The guys in the shop were slightly surprised at the results. To catch the ball on the upswing, I really have to cant my shoulders and move my head what seems like two feet behind the ball. It is not a comfortable address position and I can only use it on my T ball. I don't like the idea of two drastically different swings. My swing flaw is somewhere between 9:00 and 3:00 position. I believe my right hand takes over at impact and I shut the face. My miss when I go after it is a lower hook to a pull hook. If I lay off too much, the club face can't catch up. I have never been able to hit a 8*-9.5* driver very high. That is why I went with a 10.5* on the G10 purchase which helped some, but hitting hit side by side yesterday was an eye opener. It makes sense. When I catch my 15* v steel with an accra mf, if carries 260-270.

Ping I200 4-UW Z-65
Ping I-15 4-UW Z-Z65
Odyssey Two ball Fang
Ping Hoofer 2014

I say go with the 13*....I had my numbers checked 3 times and everytime it was a 11-11.5* in my hand that gave me the best results.

There are to many people that for some reason can't grasp that a higher lofted driver is better for you in most cases.

When did playing a 8.5-9.5* mean that you where more of a man?? I wonder just how many tour players actually play what is stamped on their drivers?

And as far as swing flaws...forget that...buy whay works for you and smile everytime you blast one past your playing partners.

Get a pink headcover and really have fun with it......LOL

I believe in the LM numbers and trust the guy doing the fitting. The guys in the shop were slightly surprised at the results. To catch the ball on the upswing, I really have to cant my shoulders and move my head what seems like two feet behind the ball. It is not a comfortable address position and I can only use it on my T ball. I don't like the idea of two drastically different swings. My swing flaw is somewhere between 9:00 and 3:00 position. I believe my right hand takes over at impact and I shut the face. My miss when I go after it is a lower hook to a pull hook. If I lay off too much, the club face can't catch up. I have never been able to hit a 8*-9.5* driver very high. That is why I went with a 10.5* on the G10 purchase which helped some, but hitting hit side by side yesterday was an eye opener. It makes sense. When I catch my 15* v steel with an accra mf, if carries 260-270.

If you're confident with the integrity of the LM data, then go with the 13 deg option and dont' look back........except when you're looking at your playing partners drives, which are several yards behind you!

Ping G430 Max 10.5° | Fujikura Speeder Evolution II 569
TaylorMade BRNR 13.5° | UST Mamiya ProForce 65

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 18° | Mitsubishi Kai'li Red 65

Srixon ZX MKII 22° & 25° | Project X HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 70

Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal HL 6-GW | True Temper Dynamic Gold 95
Cleveland CBX2 54° & 58° | Rotex 90
PXG Battle Ready M16 Bat Attack

"Golf is assuredly a mystifying game. It would seem that if a person has hit a golf ball correctly a thousand times, he should be able to duplicate the performance at will. But such is certainly not the case." - Bobby Jones

the 13* ft-5/blueboard73x is nearly perfect for you. its obvious you dont catch the ball on the upswing, but if you are getting those results with that club, id play it.

that 13* will certainly have a closed face. if you can handle that, do it. it'd be easy enough to buy the ft-5 and then have someone on this site who is experienced with callaway fusion pulls and a diamana dealer to tour clock the head to square.

Wouldn't that actually change the loft of the club? Negating the effects of the fitting?

Several have said that he is not catching the ball on his upswing with the driver. I understand this because of the low launch number but something I dont understand. Is it possible for him to be hittin down on the ball with that fast of a swingspeed and not creating more than 1800 rpms of spin. Another question for original op...... what ball did you use for the fitting? those are insane numbers

Several have said that he is not catching the ball on his upswing with the driver. I understand this because of the low launch number but something I dont understand. Is it possible for him to be hittin down on the ball with that fast of a swingspeed and not creating more than 1800 rpms of spin. Another question for original op...... what ball did you use for the fitting? those are insane numbers

I'm thinking the same thing. If he's hitting down on the ball and delofting at impact you would think his spin numbers at that ss would be 4000-5000rpms.

Were you using a tee?

Titleist 915D2 9.5* Rogue Black 95MSI 60S
Callaway XHot Pro 15* Project X 6.5
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 2 Iron C-Taper X
Bridgeston J40CB 3-PW Project X 6.0
Ping Anser 54*,60* Project X 6.0
Taylormade Imola 8 35"

We started with balls laying on the mat. The first numbers (with the 9.5 and 13* w73X BB) were with a NXT Extreme. He swapped shafts and heads a couple times before we tried with a Prov and a ProVx. When we went back to the BB, the shaft coupler broke while installing so I never got th hit on the LM with the BB and a Prov, which is what I typically play. I did however use a 10.5 with Grallaloy platinum (s) and the Prov. Ball speed, swing speed remained the same, launch angle was in the good range, distance was 305 +/-, spin went up to the point he suggested the X in that shaft. The dispersion was not as good as the BB and the feel was as different as violin and bass drum. He liked the fit of that shaft for the money but it never reached the numbers of the 13* and the BB73X. At that point, we called Ping to order a 12* Rapture with a 73X BB thinking the Rapture head would negate the 1 degree. Ping does not install 73 or 83X in the Rapture and furthermore they did not have a 63,73,or 83X in stock. Back to the drawing board. I did hit the VS Proto 80S and the numbers were similar but while the feel better than most still not as pure as the BB. Brings me back to the original question. Is my thinking correct that the Rapture head is a little higher launching and I could get away with a 12* or even 11* depending on shaft selection? Same for the D2. I love the feel and look of the head. Is this supposed to be a higher spinning head so I could get away with an 11.5*? Would a YS6 in a X be similar in numbers and feel?

The big problem is there are not many LM in my area and the BB73X was the only X shaft he had. I assume not many stores have a great selection of X shafts to hit.

Ping I200 4-UW Z-65
Ping I-15 4-UW Z-Z65
Odyssey Two ball Fang
Ping Hoofer 2014

As far as the insane numbers. I'm 6'4", 245 lbs and have always been a pretty good athlete. There are probably many who are smaller than me that create more club head speed. My tempo is more like a VJ than a Jose Maria.

Ping I200 4-UW Z-65
Ping I-15 4-UW Z-Z65
Odyssey Two ball Fang
Ping Hoofer 2014

Yes, I have tried to video my swing but the slow mo' on my camcorder does not have the resolution to give me a clear picture of impact. I paid for a lesson from a former Nationwide tour player to figue it out and he could not.

Ping I200 4-UW Z-65
Ping I-15 4-UW Z-Z65
Odyssey Two ball Fang
Ping Hoofer 2014

Yes, I have tried to video my swing but the slow mo' on my camcorder does not have the resolution to give me a clear picture of impact. I paid for a lesson from a former Nationwide tour player to figue it out and he could not.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how those numbers could be at all correct. They don't even look like they'd add up.

I'm really interested to hear how this turns out. Please get a second opinion (maybe find someone with a trackman?).

On the course, do you really launch it super low or what?

For the life of me, I can't understand how your launch angles are so low without creating a TON of backspin, unless your hands are way out in front, delofting the club, rather than it being a descending blow.

I would check yourself on a different monitor first, but if you get the same results, the 13* gave you fantastic numbers.

For the life of me, I can't understand how your launch angles are so low without creating a TON of backspin, unless your hands are way out in front, delofting the club, rather than it being a descending blow.

I would check yourself on a different monitor first, but if you get the same results, the 13* gave you fantastic numbers.

That's also the only scenario I can think of.......hands WAY ahead at impact.

Titleist 915D2 9.5* Rogue Black 95MSI 60S
Callaway XHot Pro 15* Project X 6.5
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 2 Iron C-Taper X
Bridgeston J40CB 3-PW Project X 6.0
Ping Anser 54*,60* Project X 6.0
Taylormade Imola 8 35"