uPro vs SG5

Help me make a decision!
Before I get the automatic response (use search) I've read every post on Golfwrx regarding these two units... I just want some practical advice....

I just picked up an SG5 after returning my SG4... I know SOME people haven't had problems with the SG4, but mine was total crap..... My buddy's SG2 continually smoked it's performance, and that was only WHEN it was working... after multiple gps resets, etc.... Anyway I know the SG2.5 & SG5 use the u-blox chipset which is "the best you can get" for golf gps at this time to my knowledge... I also think the uPro is using the u-blox chipset although I don't know if it's the same one...

Initially my concern with the uPro was signal, after having so many problems with the SG4. I'm rather sensitive to the unit actually HOLDING a sat signal as you can imagine... Initial reports seem to say this is not a problem and the uPro works as advertised.... I must admit it's got tons of cool features with the most attractive to me the ability to measure layup distances using the aerial photography views.... That being said it's the first iteration and I'm always skeptical of the first model... I haven't seen one in action but as we all know they look pretty awesome online... I've also read about the flyover graphics being "not that crisp" as well as green shots....?

With both units being the same price I'm tempted to take the plunge on the UPro..... I do love the intelligreen feature of the SG5 and it is proven but the uPro does bring alot to the table....

Just can't decide yet...

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know that anybody will really be able to give you a "good" answer to your query-considering that most have only had the units in hand for a period of a couple of weeks.

I too am fascinated by the Upro but not willing to be a guinea pig as yet. I'm very happy with my iGolf but I really do want the ability to plot layups and look at things from the aerial view. Of course my decision at this point is pretty easy-none of the courese that I want are Pro mode yet.

I look forward to reading responses from some of the folks that were willing guinea pigs!

Had my SG5 since last November, it's sweet. NEVER lost a signal, acquires very quickly compared to my former SG3, dead accurate, it's awesome.

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

I can tell you i have never had a problem with getting a signal from my uPro, even inside buildings it gets a signal! I would say that its reception of satellites is a strength of the unit.

Driver PXG GEN4 0811x (9) / Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White
Fairway:  PXG GEN4 (13) / 14.0 

Hybrid:  PXG 0317 X  PXG GEN4 (19) / Mitsubishi MMT 80
Irons:  PXG PXG GEN4 0311 P (4 - Pw) / True Temper Elevate Tour 
Wedge:  PXG Sugar Daddy Forged (50/9, 54/10 and 58/9) / True Temper Elevate Tour 
Putter:  PXG Closer, 39.5" ArmLock
Ball:  Bridgestone B X
Bag:  PXG - Fairway White Camo Cary/Stand

I've been using an SG5 for about two weeks now and so far I'm very happy with it. Seems to be pretty accurate for the most part. I've used it on two courses so far, and I noticed on the 2nd course about 30% of the hazards weren't on the target screen, anyone else notice that on their courses? For those who don't know, it has a feature that will show you distances to various bunkers, water hazards, etc... on the course. The first course it had probably 90-95% and the 2nd course was more like 60-65%. My favorite feature is the ball marking feature, really helped me get a hold of the my clubs distances.

I wrote a post about my SG 5 experience SkyCaddie SG 5

Does anyone know of a Golf GPS that will track your shots on the device to later be uploaded to your PC?

I did a lot of research, and read multiple threads on this site, but the most important factor involved for me in making a decision between units was the fact that SkyCaddie physically maps each course.

Accuracy is paramount for me and some of the extra features some of the other units have (i.e. keeping score, etc...) just aren't as important to me. The fact that the majority of units now available use aerial photography to map their courses leaves me to believe there's room for error and has already been demonstrated in a few unit review posts I've read.

I previously used the SG2 unit and never had a problem with accuracy and really liked the intelligreen feature; I've had no problems with my SG5 thus far.

IMO SkyCaddie has a leg up for being one of the first in the 'game' of GPS devices and with that they already have a great number of courses already mapped. I'm hard pressed to come across many, if any courses that I look for and can't find; and there are frequent updates to courses I have in many of my play-lists.

As has been said before, the unit you choose will depend on your personal preferences. I chose and continue to choose SkyCaddie as I believe it's the best unit for my game.

Hope this helps. :drinks:

I've been using an SG5 for about two weeks now and so far I'm very happy with it. Seems to be pretty accurate for the most part. I've used it on two courses so far, and I noticed on the 2nd course about 30% of the hazards weren't on the target screen, anyone else notice that on their courses? For those who don't know, it has a feature that will show you distances to various bunkers, water hazards, etc... on the course. The first course it had probably 90-95% and the 2nd course was more like 60-65%. My favorite feature is the ball marking feature, really helped me get a hold of the my clubs distances.

I wrote a post about my SG 5 experience SkyCaddie SG 5

Does anyone know of a Golf GPS that will track your shots on the device to later be uploaded to your PC?

There hasn't been much talk about it lately, but I think the SureShot GPS tracks stats, though I don't know how detailed. The Golf Guru will keep basic stats for you, like FIRs, Girs and # of putts. I think they have plans for also tracking club distances. For the most complete stat tracking + GPS you would have to go with the Intelligolf software and a GPS enabled PDA or smart phone.

As a follow up I got an SG5 and to this point I'm LOVING IT..... SOOOOO much better than the SG4 it replaced and dead on accurate so far... no signal problems, beautiful graphics and loads about 2X faster.... Beautiful.....

I still really like the flyover feature of the Upro but don't really see needing that function unless I'm always playing NEW courses.... I'll continue to monitor the progress and user reviews of the Upro as it still intrigues me... but for now....

I'll stick with the SG5....

As a follow up I got an SG5 and to this point I'm LOVING IT..... SOOOOO much better than the SG4 it replaced and dead on accurate so far... no signal problems, beautiful graphics and loads about 2X faster.... Beautiful.....

I still really like the flyover feature of the Upro but don't really see needing that function unless I'm always playing NEW courses.... I'll continue to monitor the progress and user reviews of the Upro as it still intrigues me... but for now....

I'll stick with the SG5....

Exactly what I did as well, been using it 2 weeks now and am really impressed how accurate and all the functions working perfectly with the SG5. What was the final clincher for me was all the courses I needed were available as well.

Maybe next year when things when more courses are ready and bugs worked out, I will take another look at the UPro.

Very happy with my choice.

• 2 months later...

I have a SG-5 and HAD a UPro.

The SG-5 gets and holds a signal everywhere I've been, and it's yardages are always within 1-2 yards of the permanent markers on the courses I play. It is very easy to read outdoors without glasses in direct sunlight or shade.

The Upro required too much interaction to suit me. I wanted a unit that I did not have to touch to get my current yardage, and more features if I needed them. The Upro battery life was poor, for the one I had at least, and the screen was hard for me to read outdoors. SkyCaddie will go two rounds plus on one charge. The Upro flyover photos are taken directly off of the Google Earth website. On a few courses you can see the parking lot or people on the greens, and they match Google if you compare. If I need to see what a course looks like I can get exactly the same images before I go play from Google Earth.

I was reluctant to return the Upro, since there is a "Restocking Fee" and the course purchases are not refundable, so I had to eat $120, but I had no use for it, and giving up $120 is better than having a $480 paperweight. ($399 + $80 course maps).

If the SG5 is a consideration, I again strongly suggest looking at the new color Golf Guru. It does everything the SG5 does and more! Both are color; both use the same GPS receiver so accuracy is a non-issue; both have similar smart green functionality (the green rotates with SkyGolf units while the points marking near and far rotate around a fixed image with the Golf Guru); the Golf Guru can keep your score SG5 does not; Golf Guru can keep stats while SG5 does not; the marking function on the Golf Guru is fantastic and includes inputting what club you hit and from what kind of lie; the Golf Guru holds up to 200 courses; you can map a course yourself including intermediate targets AND map the outline of the greens; the Golf Guru is much less expensive; there are no subscription fees with the Golf Guru.

The only advantage I see to the SG5 over the Golf Guru is that they "walk" the course to map it while Golf Guru uses aerial/satellite photos which can be inaccurate. However, the ability to immediately edit a course overcomes that in my opinion. Also, if there are any changes to a course, renovations, etc., you have to wait until SkyGolf gets around to re-mapping the course again before your GPS will reflect those changes while, again, you can make the changes yourself, immediately, with the Golf Guru.

Oh, and based on comment after comment, there is no comparison with regard to customer service. Golf Guru wins that comparison hands down! I have previously owned and used the SG2 for the last 4-5 seasons before switching earlier this year so I understand the advantages and limitations of the SkyGolf products pretty well.

If the SG5 is a consideration, I again strongly suggest looking at the new color Golf Guru. It does everything the SG5 does and more! Both are color; both use the same GPS receiver so accuracy is a non-issue; both have similar smart green functionality (the green rotates with SkyGolf units while the points marking near and far rotate around a fixed image with the Golf Guru); the Golf Guru can keep your score SG5 does not; Golf Guru can keep stats while SG5 does not; the marking function on the Golf Guru is fantastic and includes inputting what club you hit and from what kind of lie; the Golf Guru holds up to 200 courses; you can map a course yourself including intermediate targets AND map the outline of the greens; the Golf Guru is much less expensive; there are no subscription fees with the Golf Guru.

The only advantage I see to the SG5 over the Golf Guru is that they "walk" the course to map it while Golf Guru uses aerial/satellite photos which can be inaccurate. However, the ability to immediately edit a course overcomes that in my opinion. Also, if there are any changes to a course, renovations, etc., you have to wait until SkyGolf gets around to re-mapping the course again before your GPS will reflect those changes while, again, you can make the changes yourself, immediately, with the Golf Guru.

Oh, and based on comment after comment, there is no comparison with regard to customer service. Golf Guru wins that comparison hands down! I have previously owned and used the SG2 for the last 4-5 seasons before switching earlier this year so I understand the advantages and limitations of the SkyGolf products pretty well.

Have they (Golf Guru) improved on the target mapping accuracy? I think that was one of the few dislikes along with the number of courses in their library.

Have they (Golf Guru) improved on the target mapping accuracy? I think that was one of the few dislikes along with the number of courses in their library.

I have not seen any recent issues with course mapping accuracy. Anyone who uses aerial / satellite photos will run into that problem on occasion. Every course I have downloaded and looked at has had plenty of intermediate targets, Also, self-mapping and the ability to edit downloaded courses works perfectly now. Their course library has grown considerably and quickly and I think has more than doubled to almost 11,000 courses since I first became aware of them in March. They still promise to map your 1st request in 7 days if it is not already mapped. Go to their website, which has been updated, and do the course search thing. Impressive!

I have not seen any recent issues with course mapping accuracy. Anyone who uses aerial / satellite photos will run into that problem on occasion. Every course I have downloaded and looked at has had plenty of intermediate targets, Also, self-mapping and the ability to edit downloaded courses works perfectly now. Their course library has grown considerably and quickly and I think has more than doubled to almost 11,000 courses since I first became aware of them in March. They still promise to map your 1st request in 7 days if it is not already mapped. Go to their website, which has been updated, and do the course search thing. Impressive!

Indeed! I had the B&W Guru for a couple of weeks and liked the unit but I really wanted a backlight screen and color so it went back. It sounds that the new unit is a winner. I will consider it once the membership on my SG5 expires. I like the idea of editing targets and keeping score in the unit.

I have a SC 2.5 and yesterday I received a new SC 5 . Its even better than the 2.5. Lots of hazards mapped and green levels, false fronts, etc. And its so easy to read with the large screen and color onyx display. I played with it today and its just great. My wife is now using the 2.5.

Bradbuff-

Are you saying that the SG5 shows hazards, false fronts, etc. that weren't shown on the SG2.5? My understanding was that the SG5 can show more points/hazards on the screen at one time because the screen is larger but it is not supposed to have any additional info that isn't available on the SG2.5.

Ping G425 Max 9* 
Bridgestone HF1
Eidolon 57*
Lab DF 2.1