Why does it seem that people prefer e6+ over the e5+?

BankerGolfer

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't notice a big difference between the two except the the E6 feels softer. It's probably one of the softest balls out there. It seems to launch higher on slower swings, I guess because of the lack of spin but at the same time the high launch = soft landing. The only thing I've had to give up is a little check on chips around the green which I've learned to live with.

Some people hate the soft feeling of a ball but there are a ton of guys like me that really like the way these balls feel off a well struck iron.

And I meant to add: they're plenty long--even for high swing speed players.

Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
Mizuno MP-5 irons
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*
Odyssey White Ice 1

The only thing I've had to give up is a little check on chips around the green which I've learned to live with.
How much "check" did you give up with the E6+? I had been playing Nike PD Power Soft balls for a couple years and loved how soft they were, but wasn't getting the stopping control on the greens I wanted. I was thinking of switching to the E6+ and had won a dozen B330-S's that I love, but can't justify the $35-40/dozen. Would like to find a soft ball with decent distance that can stop on the green. I've read about the E5+ and E6+ and it seems the E6+ would be a better ball for me, but wondering about their green "performance."

I use to play the E6+ at the beginning of the season. Loved the ball. Then decided to try the E5+... For me the E5+ works better. I get about a full club more with it and longer drives. I have no hooking or slice problems... so the straightness of the E6+ is kind of not that important for me. Plus the E5+ spins around the greens (if you like that).

One thing i did notice was that the E6+ seem to last longer and be more durable.

Found this thread when I was researching the ball. I actually found a E6 yesteday and played it for the last 7 holes... I hit it mid high

trajectory and over 300yds and I was able to work it left and right off the tee. I found the spin to be pretty good, actually juiced a wedge back about seven feet. The feel off the putter was real soft... I am actually looking at switching to this ball and dropping the ProV1. I have played the V1 for the last six years. whats the price range on these nuggets???

PING G425 Max       10.5* Tensei  AV Blue 60 gram X flex
PING G425 Max       16.5* TD AD TP 80 gram X flex
PING G425 19*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING G425 22*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING i230                  5-PW     w/ PX LZ 6.0 Black out shafts (+ 1/4”)
Titleist SM 9 raw        50*/54*/58* PX LZ 6.0  Black out shaft (+ 1/4”)

Odyssey                     AI One  Seven CH

BULLPEN

TM Rossi   M-21 Reserve and Odyssey Tri Hot      5k Seven CH   

E6+ is as straight a ball as you will play, without giving up feel and heaps of spin. It spins nowhere near as much as the E5+, which is good for me off the tee, and I can stop it on my greens because they generally play soft and we are in the middle of Winter here.

Heaps of spin is not always the best option - it all depends on what kind of player you are and what types of courses you play I guess...

TaylorMade Qi10 Designer Series (Black Out) 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black / Mizuno M.Craft OMOI #1
Bridgestone Tour RX

I got the e6+ because I'm a higher handicapper and I wanted a ball that I could hit straighter but still feel soft. I didn't believe that premium balls would make a difference and only lose 1-2 balls an entire round where as with the cheap random mix I used before I would slice/hook a ton into the water/forest. It really makes a difference.

I use to play the E6+ at the beginning of the season. Loved the ball. Then decided to try the E5+... For me the E5+ works better. I get about a full club more with it and longer drives. I have no hooking or slice problems... so the straightness of the E6+ is kind of not that important for me. Plus the E5+ spins around the greens (if you like that).

One thing i did notice was that the E6+ seem to last longer and be more durable.

exact same experience for me. started out with the e6+, switched to the e5+... they were too hard at first, but I'm now really liking the results with this ball. I actually find my drives to be just as erratic with the e6s or e5s so I like the extra distance the e5s give. I've been losing less of them, too.

A

exact same experience for me. started out with the e6+, switched to the e5+... they were too hard at first, but I'm now really liking the results with this ball. I actually find my drives to be just as erratic with the e6s or e5s so I like the extra distance the e5s give. I've been losing less of them, too.

A

But if your drives are erratic and the E5's go longer doesn't that mean you're deeper in the woods? :rolleyes:

I've played the e6 for about 2 years and love it for the $. It's softer than the e5 (and the B330). It does seem to reduce slices and hooks plus it's a fairly durable ball.

Taylormade M3 9.5 Tensei
Taylormade M4 (x2) Tensei
Adams Pro 22* Aldila Red
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro KBS Tour 4-PW
Bettinardi 52 & 58
Bettinardi BB8f

Ive played the e-6 for about a year. now i've playedcheaper balls as well but when the game counted i played the e-6.

About 3months ago partners club sent me a two pack to review; BOOM it had to be the ball! ( e-6+);

This was better than the e-6it's straighter off the tee and I swear it had a good 15 yrds . over the e-6.

It played straighter higher,and the check on the green ? I like the two bounce spin less than 2 ft. 1 putt I'm done see ya.

I shoulda done a commercial dangit. I love this ball

Some people hate the soft feeling of a ball but there are a ton of guys like me that really like the way these balls feel off a well struck iron.

Count me as one of those guys. latter, not former.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5°
Callaway XR 16 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik Max 3 thru 5 hybrids
Srixon z565 6 thru PW
48°, 52° & 58° Cleveland CBX wedges
Ping Sigma 2 Kushin C flat stick

All subject to change in the blink of an eye.........and I blink a lot.

probably because it spins less and would be easier for them to hit straight

This is exactly why - for me - the e6 recently became my primary ball. Unless I really flub my swing, I just can't slice them! They go straight, w/ very little left-to-right movement. For me, it's the closest thing to a magic ball that I'll ever find. The difference for me is very noticable. When my swing is on, I can hit anything straight, but when I've lost it in the past (which is often - I usually shoot in the high 90s), the e6 saved me! So much so that I figured I'd play it most of the time.

Plus it feels great off any club IMO. Hit a bunch of long drives w/ it yesterday too! I can't say enough good things about it!

I like a lot of spin so it's e5+ for me. Generally distance is not a problem for me neither is hitting straight. My natural shot is a draw and I like being able to hit a cut when I need to. My primary balls are Callaway HX Tour 56 and HX Tours, I use the e5+ as my cheap balls. Especially since they stop making my favorite, the 56. I would prefer to use the b330-s, but at 39 a dozen I might as well get my Callaway or ProV1. I don't think I would want to play the e6+ all the time, but I wouldn't mind having them to switch to on the days where I can't hit it straight to save my life.

The E5+ spins way too much off the driver if you hit the ball hard. I spin it up high, (balloon it), and then it just drops out of the sky, short.

If your swingspeed is less than 85mph or so, it's a great ball. Any higher than that, go to the E6+ or the B330 series balls.

My swingspeed is around 95-100 and I like it - I find it doesn't really baloon for ME, but then I'm not a high spin player.

But if your drives are erratic and the E5's go longer doesn't that mean you're deeper in the woods? :swoon2:

that's just it - I didn't find the e6+ to be any straigher than the e5+. If I put a bad swing on the ball, I go OB with both of them. I'm hitting the same number of fairways with the e5+ as with the e6+, but the e5+ are longer for me.

I like the putting feel better with the e5+ as well.

-A

I was playing the e6+ all year. I hit it high and didn't have any problem holding greens with full irons. I just had to adjust for my chips to allow for more roll. Then I took the fitting challenge and found out that my swing speed was higher than I thought [result of improving my grip and swing over the year]. They fit me into a b330s and noted that it would give me lower spin off the driver if I hit it well [i.e.not a miss hit]. They gave me a 2pack of the 330s and also an e5+ just for kicks.

While playing the 330s I found that it did in fact go far and straight off the tee. If my hips became lazy and I had too much hands, I would hook it low. I also noticed that my short irons weren't as straight as the e6+ but obviously noted the improved spin on shorter shots around the green. I lost both balls over the course of 8 holes,....both water hazzards hugging the left side of the fairway and my low hook just made it in.

THE POINT OF MY POST - I then switched to the e5+. I never considered this ball mostly because of the fear of the ballooning shots. I hit it high enough and read a lot about the problem some have had. Well I had no ballooning whatsoever. What's more, I actually noted a more boring trajectory with the 5+. It seemed to go plenty far maybe even farther than the 330s, if not they went the same distance. My drives were straight and found 7 of 8 fairways in the last 10 holes. The ball checked AS good as the 330s and again the only time I noted unwelcome movement on the drives were when my hips got lazy and I turned over and hooked a low roller to the left rough/fairway.

The one thing I miss is that I cannot count on the e5+ and 330s to be as straight on my irons into the green. They are slightly loose when compared to the e6+ but that is to be expected. Sorry for going on like this but I literally just got off the course and thought I should post in this thread. Very surprised at how the e5+ performed and there is no way I would pay an extra 15 bones for the 330s,...because in my mind they are the same ball.

So I guess I like the 5+ now more than the 6+ but would gladly play either.