2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Pure Ball Striker Training Aid....

logan91201

Jeff,

I've used it a lot around the green chipping and pitching which is great. But, these shots don't really require releasing the club.

My desired ball flight is a 3-5 yard draw. When hitting shots with PBS I find it difficult to release the club properly. I usually have pretty good lag on the downswing.

Sean

Sean,

You don't hit a little draw through the release, you do it with the proper swing path. On the down stroke, be sure the club is traveling DOWN - OUT - FORWARD. You need a little more OUT. Combine that thought with your PBS and great lag pressure and you can hit beautiful, compressed little draws without any flipping.

Good luck,

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Just wanted to say how great them pics are of loagsn swing you can actually see where his center of gravity is and where his low point is going to be even before he gets there. gorgeous action logan.

My key words for this month are

Center of gravity

aiming point.

Lag pressure.

and for my driver float loading

oh just a side point if anyones tried float loading , it seems pretty hard to time it right unless you have the pbs that makes it so much easier

Josh,

Change #1 to COG and you are on your way to MORAD. :lol:

Excellent post Josh! :good:

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Have you guys seen this blog?

Visit Golf Lag Tips

WOW, what a great way to spread the word of G.O.L.F.! This gentleman, John Di Lagito, has to be a friend of the PBS. Enjoy!

Kevin

Notice how through the motion of the stroke the clubface wants to align with low point and how the clubshaft and left arm get inline also at low point. Monitor ones clubhead lag pressure and sense your direction of your motion.

Thanks Kevin this is a wonderful find!

The Pure Ball Striker is for sure a friend of Johns and clubhead lag pressure!

Jeff,

I've used it a lot around the green chipping and pitching which is great. But, these shots don't really require releasing the club.

My desired ball flight is a 3-5 yard draw. When hitting shots with PBS I find it difficult to release the club properly. I usually have pretty good lag on the downswing.

Sean

Sean,

You don't hit a little draw through the release, you do it with the proper swing path. On the down stroke, be sure the club is traveling DOWN - OUT - FORWARD. You need a little more OUT. Combine that thought with your PBS and great lag pressure and you can hit beautiful, compressed little draws without any flipping.

Good luck,

Kevin

Sean,

Kevin did my work for me!

Thanks Kevin for the help!

We are starting to get ramped up for the G.O.L.F. season down here in Georgia so my time is starting to get tight.

Just wanted to say how great them pics are of loagsn swing you can actually see where his center of gravity is and where his low point is going to be even before he gets there. gorgeous action logan.

My key words for this month are

Center of gravity

aiming point.

Lag pressure.

and for my driver float loading

oh just a side point if anyones tried float loading , it seems pretty hard to time it right unless you have the pbs that makes it so much easier

Josh,

Stick to building your pattern your are 100% on the correct track!

Thanks for sharing great stuff!

Received my PBS this week and made some swings with a 5 iron and some Almost Golf practice balls. What it seems to do for me is keep me from applying TOO much pressure with my right forefinger. I have a tendency to hook my longer irons. Once I made some swings with the PBS on the club, then took it off and made more swings, I did not hook a single shot. I wasn't applying as much pressure as I tended to do in the past. Does this make sense? Even if it doesn't, I hope it continues to work.

lightgrip,

You are correct everybody will need to sense this pressure differently and just because feel is so subjective and varies for player to player and shot to shot.

Okay, I finally got out for a first range session with my PBS today, despite receiving it a few weeks ago (thanks for the great service Jeff!). Here's some initial feedback.

I warmed up with some chip and half shots, working my way up to full shots with a 7 iron. Overall I had some excellent results. I was consistently hitting it a club longer today and in fact had one of my best ball striking sessions in, quite literally, years. I am unsure how much my extra length was due to the warmer weather, work on my backswing and shoulder turn or the PBS itself but the results were there.

I can't help thinking there's a lot more to be had out of the PBS though. Firstly it feels very comfortable and I'm amazed how quickly I got used to having it on the club, however;

1) I don't think I'm feeling that much pressure in the base of my index finger - nowhere near the amounts some people on here are talking about. As such I think there's a lot of work to do in increasing that pressure and getting the correct feeling. Do other people feel like they are pressing down and through with this pressure point whilst the rest of the hands are relaxed on the downswing?

2) When I took the PBS off and started hitting shots it felt awful! Just nowhere near as solid or consistent with the PBS on (perhaps a sign I am doing something right?). Plus, unsurprisingly, the grip felt very thin all of a sudden! I am mindful of getting too comfortable with the PBS on the club and am going to have to work hard on trying to get the same feelings on shots without it.

3) I caught myself inadvertently gripping very tightly today, mainly when I was hitting without the PBS. Not sure why, but again something I really have to try and avoid.

More updates to follow! Any thoughts on the above welcome.

Okay, I finally got out for a first range session with my PBS today, despite receiving it a few weeks ago (thanks for the great service Jeff!). Here's some initial feedback.

I warmed up with some chip and half shots, working my way up to full shots with a 7 iron. Overall I had some excellent results. I was consistently hitting it a club longer today and in fact had one of my best ball striking sessions in, quite literally, years. I am unsure how much my extra length was due to the warmer weather, work on my backswing and shoulder turn or the PBS itself but the results were there.

I can't help thinking there's a lot more to be had out of the PBS though. Firstly it feels very comfortable and I'm amazed how quickly I got used to having it on the club, however;

1) I don't think I'm feeling that much pressure in the base of my index finger - nowhere near the amounts some people on here are talking about. As such I think there's a lot of work to do in increasing that pressure and getting the correct feeling. Do other people feel like they are pressing down and through with this pressure point whilst the rest of the hands are relaxed on the downswing?

2) When I took the PBS off and started hitting shots it felt awful! Just nowhere near as solid or consistent with the PBS on (perhaps a sign I am doing something right?). Plus, unsurprisingly, the grip felt very thin all of a sudden! I am mindful of getting too comfortable with the PBS on the club and am going to have to work hard on trying to get the same feelings on shots without it.

3) I caught myself inadvertently gripping very tightly today, mainly when I was hitting without the PBS. Not sure why, but again something I really have to try and avoid.

More updates to follow! Any thoughts on the above welcome.

Eagle006,

Great observations and questions.

1) Feel is subjective and will very from player to player and stroke to stroke. As the player releases the pivot and power accumulators direct the hands and more specific the trigger finger/#3 Pressure Point which sense the clubhead lagging at the through the ball.

2) You are searching for that feel which is correct use the 32 Ball Drill it will help with the transition of feel.

3) That is a false pressure and will work from time to time many of my clients notice the same thing and the 32 Ball Drill will help.

Keep us posted!

Thanks for the support!

Read the first few hundred posts..then fast forwarded to the last page. I knew this little rubber gadget was for me. Anyway I just placed an order. This is very timely for me as Ive been working on lag trying to eliminate fat shots. I never practice on matts and have been having good success with aiming 4 inchs in front of the ball and driving the butt of the club to that point. It always amazes me ..the crispness and distance increase when I manage to hit the ball first and have the divot extend 4 inchs past the ball. The feeling of lag can be elusive though. I have no doubt this will help. I practice at a grass field(school) regularly hitting wedge and 8 iron to lasered distances (poles). On decently struck shots the wedge goes 105-112 and the 8 iron average is 130-135. Ive hit literally several hundreds of balls at these targets and I always place tees in the ground to track where the divot starts...if there is one. I still pick alot of shots clean..which I consider a problem. I also still hit fat shots...4 inchs behind the ball..which is completely unacceptable. Ill post results when I receive the pbs and practice a few times with it using the same clubs..and others. Also I have a copy of the little yellow book and Im a member at Lynn Blakes site. Like I said this is very timely for me. Thanks!

Scott

TM 09 Burner 9.5
Cleveland Launcher Ti 15*
Adams Idea Pro 18*
Cleveland 588 TT 4-pw
Ping Scottsdale Tr
588 Ta rtg 45* 51* 56* 60* S300

Read the first few hundred posts..then fast forwarded to the last page. I knew this little rubber gadget was for me. Anyway I just placed an order. This is very timely for me as Ive been working on lag trying to eliminate fat shots. I never practice on matts and have been having good success with aiming 4 inchs in front of the ball and driving the butt of the club to that point. It always amazes me ..the crispness and distance increase when I manage to hit the ball first and have the divot extend 4 inchs past the ball. The feeling of lag can be elusive though. I have no doubt this will help. I practice at a grass field(school) regularly hitting wedge and 8 iron to lasered distances (poles). On decently struck shots the wedge goes 105-112 and the 8 iron average is 130-135. Ive hit literally several hundreds of balls at these targets and I always place tees in the ground to track where the divot starts...if there is one. I still pick alot of shots clean..which I consider a problem. I also still hit fat shots...4 inchs behind the ball..which is completely unacceptable. Ill post results when I receive the pbs and practice a few times with it using the same clubs..and others. Also I have a copy of the little yellow book and Im a member at Lynn Blakes site. Like I said this is very timely for me. Thanks!

Scott

Scott,

Thanks for giving the Pure Ball Striker a try.

LBG is a wonderful source of knowledge.

Keep us posted on your results.

Thanks for the support!

Where do I go now?

If you can get into a reasonable position at the top, how do you get down. Oh, and where are you trying to go?  At the ball, down the line,  to the inside of the ball. Do you drive your hands, legs, knees or all of the above? None of the above?

I know you are trying to hit the ball.  Trying may be the operative word.  Is there something missing. Can you just let it happen and unwind? Do you pull down, shift your hips, let it rip? Push something, turn something?

Can Pure Ball Striker Help.. and how?

The golf swing has three dimensions, so the club must go back, up and in, then down out and forward with both arms to full extension at the finish.  How this happens , in what sequence, or what sort of stroke pattern the golfer employs, is often the source of frustration and ongoing confusion.

Where do I Go Now?
Let’s look at what the player is trying to do. The player wants to sustain the line of compression from club/ball contact IMPACT and through club/ball SEPARATION. Travel time from Impact to Separation is only ¾ of an inch. 
From the TOP through IMPACT the player will have 4 accelerations. 1) Shoulder Acceleration in the STARTDOWN, 2) Hand Acceleration in the DOWNSTROKE, 3) Clubhead Acceleration in the RELEASE and 4) Ball Acceleration at IMPACT/SEPARATION. 
Once the player has arrived at the TOP as in the photo the player has a period of time to make alignment and relationship corrections the pause before STARTDOWN Section. During this pause the hands must have time to define and visualize a line from the TOP to and aiming point. The player will want to sense their trigger finger Clubhead Lag Pressure Point and direct it in a straight line to an aiming point. I like to direct my trigger finger/clubhead lag pressure point to the bottom of the arc, which is just in line with my left big toe. I have my clients practice with the Pure Ball Striker to sense this feel of the proper mechanics. Now this is just an aiming point of my choice and the player can choose any point. 
As I STARTDOWN I may have a little hip slide to the left causing a little axis tilt in my spine. Axis tilt is were the base of the spine moves left a bit and lags the upper spine behind creating Shoulder Acceleration. This is the initial move toward Impact “the moment of truth.”
I have started my DOWNSTROKE section of my journey to IMPACT and the period of Hand Acceleration.
After I have settled into the delivery line I now reach the next section the RELEASE and this is the period of Clubhead Acceleration.
This next section is IMPACT and the period of Ball Acceleration. This section covers only the interval between impact and separation as seen in photo of the player in orange.

Next is FOLLOW-THROUGH to both arms straight on the left side of the body.
Last is FINISH and continues until the end of the stroke. 
The Pure Ball Striker is very helpful in sensing the clubhead lag pressure in the trigger finger from the start up of the stroke through the finish. The player can train themselves to sense and direct their clubhead lag pressure point with the Pure Ball Striker. It can be used on the shortest putt to the longest drive and all club in between.

Today I compressed the ball for the first time ever in 13 years of golfing. What an odd feeling. I couldn't replicate it on a half swing (yet) but I can certainly see the value in this tool.

texagjosh,

I enjoy hearing about your compression you will transition to the course and when it does look-out! Your game will be HIGH-POWERED.

Keep us posted!

OK, I bought one of these right after this thread started and went to work, immediatly I noticed a difference on my short game, I have always had a good short game, but my medium pitches became more crisp. I worked with it on my full swing but I couldn not overcome my tendency to cast (clubhead throwaway) I read Clampetts book, worked on the aiming point, tried tracing a straight line path etc. but could not get consistent. I finally saw this video on another thread and it clicked.
Ben Hogan "grip end of the club towards the ball"!!!!! Boom! it hit me, if my aiming point is the ball, and the butt of the club is heading towards it, I am on plane coming down, the harder I drive the butt of the club to the ball the more solid I hit it and I just let CF release the club. Add the PBS to feel the lag and voila! I have found my golf swing for the first time in a long time. Hit a few balls in a simulator with this and it felt great, played golf on Sat. and I hit it crisp, hit a few pushes and pulls, but they felt crisp with compression. Anyway I have more work to do but if any of your are having a hard time finding your aiming point you might give this a try, Mr. Evans I hope you agree with me???? Your thoughts????

Extract from "Chi Chi´s Secrets of Power Golf" , by Chi Chi Rodriguez :

"I then start the downswing with a tremendous pull of my left hand. It may appear that I am trying to hit the ball with the bottom part of the club held in the left hand.

But about half way down, things change. I throw my right shoulder as hard and fast as possible into the shot, with a sweeping motion. Now it appears that I am trying to hit the ball with my right shoulder alone."

---------

Anyway, I prefer an aiming point as the one referred by Jeff some posts ago: in front of the left toe in the straight line between the ball and the target (instead of the ball itself) . This forward aiming point promotes a more solid contact and a forward swing bottom ahead of the ball. Just experiment and find the most suitable aiming point for your own swing.

Today I compressed the ball for the first time ever in 13 years of golfing. What an odd feeling. I couldn't replicate it on a half swing (yet) but I can certainly see the value in this tool.

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but how do you know when you "compress the ball" and when you don't?  I know how good contact feels, but how do you know when you compress the ball?  AND....can you compress the ball when it is teed up?

Compression and the Line of Compression

Compression deformation of the ball.

The ball is resilient and this resilience is the key factor in ball response. Meaning that the ball bounces back to its original shape.

Different applications of force and direction determines the Line of Compression. Ideally, the player would like to be able to control their Line of Compression and be able to sustain that line of compression from impact through separation.

Many consider this line of compression to be the secret of G.O.L.F.

Impact and Separation is only 3/4 inch.

May consider sustaining the line of compression as extending the impact zone.

Allow the hands to lead the clubhead well into impact and to the bottom of the swing arc or Low Point with a forward leaning shaft approaching impact interval from the inside aft quadrant of the ball.

With irons the ball is played further from Low Point Plane Line so the club is traveling from Impact Plane Line towards Low Point Plane Line and LP is under the ground.

However, with the longer shafted clubs the ball location can be closer to Low Point and less divot.

OK, I bought one of these right after this thread started and went to work, immediatly I noticed a difference on my short game, I have always had a good short game, but my medium pitches became more crisp. I worked with it on my full swing but I couldn not overcome my tendency to cast (clubhead throwaway) I read Clampetts book, worked on the aiming point, tried tracing a straight line path etc. but could not get consistent. I finally saw this video on another thread and it clicked.
Ben Hogan "grip end of the club towards the ball"!!!!! Boom! it hit me, if my aiming point is the ball, and the butt of the club is heading towards it, I am on plane coming down, the harder I drive the butt of the club to the ball the more solid I hit it and I just let CF release the club. Add the PBS to feel the lag and voila! I have found my golf swing for the first time in a long time. Hit a few balls in a simulator with this and it felt great, played golf on Sat. and I hit it crisp, hit a few pushes and pulls, but they felt crisp with compression. Anyway I have more work to do but if any of your are having a hard time finding your aiming point you might give this a try, Mr. Evans I hope you agree with me???? Your thoughts????

Extract from "Chi Chi´s Secrets of Power Golf" , by Chi Chi Rodriguez :

"I then start the downswing with a tremendous pull of my left hand. It may appear that I am trying to hit the ball with the bottom part of the club help in the left hand.

But about half way down, things change. I throw my right shoulder as hard and fast as possible into the shot, with a sweeping motion. Now it appears that I am trying to hit the ball with my right shoulder alone."

---------

Anyway, I prefer an aiming point as the one referred by Jeff some posts ago: in front of the left toe in the straight line between the ball and the target (instead of the ball itself) . This forward aiming point promotes a more solid contact and a forward swing bottom ahead of the ball. Just experiment and find the most suitable aiming point for your own swing.

hanon,

More great stuff! It is wonderfully stated.

This is what I heard hanon say for TGMers out there:

Accumulator #4 it is Pivot (Body) Power supplying the initial acceleration of the Downstroke to throw the Lever Assemblies toward Impact.

Accumulator #4 is loaded across the chest at start-down through the initial move towards impact the period of shoulder acceleration. Accumulator #4 will blast-off the chest via the right shoulder motion. Hands are going to impact fix location which will be prepped during address so that the player knows where they want them to go. What monitors the sweet spot plane is the #3 Pressure Point. The #3PP also monitors clubhead lag pressure. View the #3PP as a lens of a flash light it should point at the plane line this flash light is lashed to the right forearm. Both must be monitored as being on plane at the start-down.

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but how do you know when you "compress the ball" and when you don't?  I know how good contact feels, but how do you know when you compress the ball?  AND....can you compress the ball when it is teed up?

Sure the ball can be compressed when it is teed up!

VIEW HERE!

it seems like modern grips where the thinnest point is the trigger finger run counter to the feel reinforced by the PBS. does it make sense to have grips built up lower to make them more uniform width?

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon MKii DI 3 Axiom 105

Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-PW KBS Tour 

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Titleist AVX

Compression and the Line of Compression

Compression deformation of the ball.

The ball is resilient and this resilience is the key factor in ball response. Meaning that the ball bounces back to its original shape.

Different applications of force and direction determines the Line of Compression. Ideally, the player would like to be able to control their Line of Compression and be able to sustain that line of compression from impact through separation.

Many consider this line of compression to be the secret of G.O.L.F.

Impact and Separation is only 3/4 inch.

May consider sustaining the line of compression as extending the impact zone.

Allow the hands to lead the clubhead well into impact and to the bottom of the swing arc or Low Point with a forward leaning shaft approaching impact interval from the inside aft quadrant of the ball.

With irons the ball is played further from Low Point Plane Line so the club is traveling from Impact Plane Line towards Low Point Plane Line and LP is under the ground.

However, with the longer shafted clubs the ball location can be closer to Low Point and less divot.

You defined compression, but you didn't answer my question. How do you know WHEN you have compressed the ball? Do you feel it or do you know it by the ballflight and distance? I know that buttery smooth sweetspot feeling, but I'm not sure that's the same as compressing the ball properly?