Dave Curry Designs / Big Oak Putters Prototype

great1putt

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is certainly unconventional from the back, Dave, but it looks good from address. I guess, like all putters, I'd have to try it to determine if I like it. Good luck "on tour" and keep up the good work.7.gif

I really like the angular-ness(not a word) of your Boston B.....tried it at Strictley Golf in Houston...nice balance:

bobb.jpg

Big Oak Putters

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

Site dot over sweet spot...cavity is cut short for artsy fartsy and to redistribute weight. The cavity does serve a purpose in getting cg higher.

KANGAMATT...I sat here for awhile wondering who would respond first. Me and the guys had decided before posting that the first person to reply would have a model sent to em to fart around with for a month or so but would have to give us roll feedback. :drinks: Surprise!!!To coin a phrase from Bill O'Reilly...what say you?

Dave

Interesting name ya got there! We are just in the proving out stage right now. Should have something on this model in a couple months. I have a couple other heads here that we will kick out after we know the pros like em then go into production.

I have found the knowledge level at Golfwrx to be better than most of the other blogs so I get a little feedback here for shape etc. I occasionally will ship one out to test for a month or two to a random member to get their feedback. We had said the first person to reply to this post would get one sent to give us feedback but member Kangamatt hasn't responded yet to my pm. Dave

Very nice as usual!

People, Big Oak putters are absolutely the Real Deal in putters! I have four and Dave is an artist when it comes to putters...and a great guy to boot.

I am lucky enough to have a B3 Balanced with the UST shaft, a Boston B, a Cairo prototype (which is this putter above), and a Havana mallet as well...both are absolutely my favorite putters, and as some of you know... I have ALOT of putters.

Anyone who appreciates a great putter owes it to themselves to check out Big Oak... you can click on the link down in my signature if you want!

Dave- I have visited you site and really like your putters.....However I gotta say this one does nothing for me... I'm sure it works great, but I can't deal with the lines and the cavity, I would really suggest rethinking the shapes and lines to make them blend and move together more.(this is just my opinion btw)...I.E. -- the cavity sure have a more angular look to it to match the surrounding lines instead of a dome... or vise versa...make the topline blend into the cavity instead of a shelf like it is...just has a very blocky look to it... Like I said I like your putters, but this one needs more refining IMO. thanks josh

Thanks for the input. As Frasier Crane used to say, "I'm listening." This little rascal is devilish I'll admit. So far the dozen or so who have rolled it here locally initially shudder when they first pick it up and look at it. Then they roll it and that is when it gets interesting...they all look at me after 2 or 3 rolls and ask me just what the heck is this thing? The top shelf is a little funky and the back curves take definite eye adjustment but the roll and feel is pure joy. I'll keep trying to marry the look and feel on this one.

Again, thanks and we will continue to work on.

Site dot over sweet spot...cavity is cut short for artsy fartsy and to redistribute weight. The cavity does serve a purpose in getting cg higher.

KANGAMATT...I sat here for awhile wondering who would respond first. Me and the guys had decided before posting that the first person to reply would have a model sent to em to fart around with for a month or so but would have to give us roll feedback. :drinks: Surprise!!!To coin a phrase from Bill O'Reilly...what say you?

Dave

11 measely minutes9.gif

I'm "on deck" if kangamatt doesn't find his way home from the Outback, yes?!

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

Dave,

First off you have created some great looking putters but I must agree with Metalhead on this particular putter. The view from the top towards the heel bothers me. It looks nice until you get to the notch in the heel. if there was anyway to get rid of that and make it look more uniform to the rest of the top then I think you would have a winner. Good luck.

Alan

That putter looks great, very unique design, yet very appealing. The Big Oak putters that I have seen in pictures look very solid, I have just not had the pleasure of rolling one. I hope you have a successful week when you bring your putters for a test drive on the Champions tour.

Best of luck, Bryan

Wow-I'm super excited. I think your putters are some of the best looking I've seen.

I'm very interested in putting my hands on it. Your design ideas make me think the roll will be fantastic. At the end of the season I had switched from a ping Craz-e to a Yes Tracy. I was having trouble with distance control and tried the Yes on impulse and loved the way it rolled the ball but was still searching for something prettier, something special.

I found your website through a variety comments posted on golfwrx and another site and was blown away by the putters. I love the idea of a higher center of mass to produce a purer roll. I know it's just gonna blow me away and hopefully I'll realize that I don't need grooves on the face of my putter to get the roll I like.

This is a thrill for me and I can't wait to see the putter.

I PM'd you my email address and cell # and will be available at your convenience. Thanks again!

Sincerely,

Kangamatt

Looks great Dave! If only I wasn't sleeping when you posted this putter up! :drinks: As a full on blade putter ho...I love the look of it. I figured your cavity design was to get that sweetspot right in the middle of the blade. That's probably the hardest thing to get just right on heel shafted putters. I particularly love the front view of your putter. That blade look is one of the design elements that I liked in my Del Mar 3.5. The only thing I can think I'd like a little more of is a slightly thicker topline. All in all though, it looks like you've got a great looking blade there.

Instead of a dot - how about an oval outline? It's easier on the eyes.

Love the idea of the cavity

Don't understand the weight distribution (or lack thereof) towards the hosel.

I'd refine the head towards the hosel.

(Owner of a Havana Mallet)

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

The hosel or neck is weight so to balance the putter material comes out in the heel area. If we had the neck on the toe end we would take some material there to balance the putter. Most of the replies I have had are weighted toward the do something with the heel area transition so I am off to the races. Thanks guys

I grew up a blade man (8802/8813) and used one for about 15 years on bent grass. Moved to the deep South and now putt on medium to slow bermuda greens all the time. The blade puter went out the door as my putting sucked. I still love the looks of them, but they do not suit my stroke. I live close to Dave's golf shop and I get to putt with some of his new Proto that come out every now and then! When he first brought this blade/perimeter weighted putter out, I did not like the looks of it from the top view, but changed my mind very quickly after rolling a few balls with the putter! Wow, this putter has a great feel and really, really, rolls the ball. One thing I think that helps is the putter is the heavier weight and Dave's new design. Most older blade models were light in my opinion!!! Good job Dave!

Then I'd do the dot with no paintfill.

I do have one of David's putters and love the oval - but I've grown accustomed to the 2 sightline on the Havana.

I appreciate the opportunity for feedback.

JG

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions