2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Battery Life & Cost of Bushnell V2/Scout 1000

How Long Has Your Battery Lasted On Average? Cost?
Hey guys, I have decided on the Bushnell Scout 1000/V2 rangefinder and wanted to get your input on how long the battery lasts. I've read here on the forum that the range is anywhere from 3 rounds to much longer. I even called Bushnell directly and the CSR told me 30 days! I tried to clarify what she meant by 30 days and she couldn't give me a straight answer. Said she would have a product manager call me back on Monday. Yeah, right :russian_roulette:. I said "no thanks" and politely told her that I would get the answer from the horses mouth directly, a.k.a fellow Golfwrx members.

Anyway, what has been your experience? How frequently have you had to change yours (would be best using number of rounds vs. weeks/months)? Also, how much were the replacement batteries? It just seems like battery life is an issue with Bushnell rangefinders in general. I was torn between this model and the Nikon 800, but the rebate and lower initial cost sold me on the Bushnell. Apparently, the Nikon/Callaway batteries last forever. If I have to keep changing batteries (at $5-8 a pop), I might as well just get the Nikon instead. What do you think? Thanks!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are worried about batteries you should consider a bushnell medalist. It is comparable in performance and size, but it uses a traditional 9 volt battery(the square ones). Which could be found for cheap.

Yes, I've researched the Medalist also. There is a mail in rebate for the Scout 1000 until the end of the year so my mind is pretty much made up. Just kind of spooked by some owners who have reported short battery life.

I have the Nikon Cally range finder, and the battery lasts for over 1000 shots. I have had mine for 3 months, and no signs of weakening or any battery problems at all. The Cally can be had for around $200 pretty easily too.

Yes, I've done a ton of research and haven't had anyone say anything negative regarding the battery life of the Nikon/Callaway units. If cost was no object, I'd definitely go with the Nikon over the Scout. Might even end up with the Nikon when it's all said and done given that I might encounter difficulties getting the Bushnell rebate because I'm not sure if I'll get a legitimate receipt from certain ebay sellers.

As a previous owner of Bushnell Pinseeker 1500 Tourney version, sold it for V2 Tour this past April. I'm on my 3rd battery already. One 9 volt battery in Pinseeker 1500 might last a year.

The biggest advantage that I like about this V2 is that it's much easier and smaller to handle. Fits in my bag better too.

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Stealth 10.5, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 3HL GD DI-7 stiff

TM SIM2 Max 7 wood

TM SIM2 Rescue 19* & 23*

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58* DG 120 S300

Odyssey Ai-One #7 Broomstick 46"

Hey guys, I have decided on the Bushnell Scout 1000/V2 rangefinder and wanted to get your input on how long the battery lasts. I've read here on the forum that the range is anywhere from 3 rounds to much longer. I even called Bushnell directly and the CSR told me 30 days! I tried to clarify what she meant by 30 days and she couldn't give me a straight answer. Said she would have a product manager call me back on Monday. Yeah, right :russian_roulette:. I said "no thanks" and politely told her that I would get the answer from the horses mouth directly, a.k.a fellow Golfwrx members.

Anyway, what has been your experience? How frequently have you had to change yours (would be best using number of rounds vs. weeks/months)? Also, how much were the replacement batteries? It just seems like battery life is an issue with Bushnell rangefinders in general. I was torn between this model and the Nikon 800, but the rebate and lower initial cost sold me on the Bushnell. Apparently, the Nikon/Callaway batteries last forever. If I have to keep changing batteries (at $5-8 a pop), I might as well just get the Nikon instead. What do you think? Thanks!

Did you actually try the V2 and the Nikon? If not - try them side by side - I think there is definitely a difference b/t the two units.

I had a Pinseeker 1500 w/slope for 2 years and recently went through this conundrum of finding a new one (since you can't use the slope rf in a tournament). Ended up with the Nikon Monarch 800, compared to the V2. The V2 ranged slower for me than the Nikon. And both the Nikon and V2 are smaller magnification and smaller viewfinders than the 1500.

I have the Nikon Cally range finder, and the battery lasts for over 1000 shots. I have had mine for 3 months, and no signs of weakening or any battery problems at all. The Cally can be had for around $200 pretty easily too.

i just picked up a callaway LR550, so far very happy with it. The brochure claims the battery

life for this model is 10,000 shots, so we shall see !!!!!!!!! ( 3V CR2 lithium battery)

i just picked up a callaway LR550, so far very happy with it. The brochure claims the battery

life for this model is 10,000 shots, so we shall see !!!!!!!!! ( 3V CR2 lithium battery)

I couldn't remember if it was 1,000 or 10,000. LOL. I have the same model.

I saw that Costco was selling a Bushnell V2 with not only a golf cart mount kit....but also with rechargable batteries and charger....if you are concerned with battery life.

My V2....I play multi times a week and laser shoot a lot of targets. My battery life exceeded 7 months and going closer to 12 with the lith battery. To me...that is plenty long enough life.

I own a bushnell V2 and have been pleased with the battery life, the current battery I have in it is going on the third month and I play twice a week or so.

I've had a Scout 1000 for 4-5 months, about 15 rounds and the battery seems fine. However I did notice the manufacture date was in 2007, so maybe some owners have older models/batteries.

That's encouraging. Maybe the guy who got 3 rounds out of his unit just got a bad battery or a defective unit. I ended up buying a Scout 1000 after trying the Bushnell 1500 and the V2 at a local course. Seems to work good. I have some blind pins on 2 holes at my home course, so I will miss my old iGolf GPS. I basically "traded" my iGolf unit (sold it on ebay) for the Scout 1000 because of the weird pin placements at my local course. I'm not actually good enough for it to make that much of a difference but it's nice to be sure of the real distance for your shot. I liked the 1500 better, but the price premium for the 1500 vs. the Scout was just too great for me. I probably should have kept the GPS unit and used both, LOL. But then again, I'd have no excuse for my errant approach shots :rolleyes: .

Did you actually try the V2 and the Nikon? If not - try them side by side - I think there is definitely a difference b/t the two units.

I had a Pinseeker 1500 w/slope for 2 years and recently went through this conundrum of finding a new one (since you can't use the slope rf in a tournament). Ended up with the Nikon Monarch 800, compared to the V2. The V2 ranged slower for me than the Nikon. And both the Nikon and V2 are smaller magnification and smaller viewfinders than the 1500.

Never got to try the V2 and Nikon 800 side by side shooting at a distant target. They had them at Golfsmith, but they are secured to the counter so you are limited to shooting indoors. I really wanted the Nikon, but the Scout 1000 (V2 clone) was just too good of a deal with the $50 rebate and lower initial price. I've read that the Nikon picks up targets faster from other posters, so your experience definitely confirms that. Knowing myself, I could conceivably pick up the Nikon 800 to do that true side-by-side on course comparison with the Scout 1000. Then I could sleep at night and stop wasting so much time on this board.

Overstock had the Scout 1000 for like $170 shipped, the rebate coupon needs correcting for promo offer number (google for code), got my rebate in about 7 weeks.

Had my Scout since about May still on original battery, so maybe those who didn't last had an older or defective battery? For about $120 after rebate does what it supposed to, I use pretty much just for pins within 180 or so, otherwise my SG5 tells me all I need to know.

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

As a previous owner of Bushnell Pinseeker 1500 Tourney version, sold it for V2 Tour this past April. I'm on my 3rd battery already. One 9 volt battery in Pinseeker 1500 might last a year.

The biggest advantage that I like about this V2 is that it's much easier and smaller to handle. Fits in my bag better too.

Guess that's another vote for short battery life on the V2/Scout 1000. Maybe battery life should be measured in approximate number of rounds played per week/month also to get a more accurate reading. Someone who plays 1-2 rounds per week/month should theoretically get more battery life than the equivalent person who plays 3-5 rounds per week/month.

I saw that Costco was selling a Bushnell V2 with not only a golf cart mount kit....but also with rechargable batteries and charger....if you are concerned with battery life.

My V2....I play multi times a week and laser shoot a lot of targets. My battery life exceeded 7 months and going closer to 12 with the lith battery. To me...that is plenty long enough life.

Costo huh? First I've heard of that. I wonder if the Costco unit uses the same CR2 3V battery. Would be nice to have a rechargeable version. I've actually seen one being sold on ebay. It's a no-name brand, so I don't trust it. I bought a few generic camera batteries for my Canon camera and they were terrible. Didn't hold much of a charge when new and lasted less than half the time than my original OEM battery. Glad to hear that your battery is holding up well. I probably play a similar number of rounds as you, so your feedback is encouraging. Thanks for your input.

• 1 month later...
Hey guys, I have decided on the Bushnell Scout 1000/V2 rangefinder and wanted to get your input on how long the battery lasts. I've read here on the forum that the range is anywhere from 3 rounds to much longer. I even called Bushnell directly and the CSR told me 30 days! I tried to clarify what she meant by 30 days and she couldn't give me a straight answer. Said she would have a product manager call me back on Monday. Yeah, right :russian_roulette: . I said "no thanks" and politely told her that I would get the answer from the horses mouth directly, a.k.a fellow Golfwrx members.

I used my V2 all last season (100+ rounds) and I'm still on the original battery. I don't know what some guys do to use up the juice so fast. I don't use it unnecessarily, I'm not a range rat so it doesn't get used up there, but I do use it every round I play, and I use it a lot when I'm playing away from my home course. I can't imagine a more cost effective unit.

I have 2 units that use the CR2 batteries, which cost about $10 each, cheaper if you can find a 2 pack.

The Bushnell lasts me 6-8 months at 3+ times per week. Have not yet had to change the battery on my wife's Cally/Nikon 800.

If you have the V2, make sure you tape the battery cover. It has a tendency to fall off, leaving the unit useless.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got my V2 last May and replaced the battery in late Feb this year or about 9 months/25 rounds. The battery was about $5 and I bought a back up since I got no warning it was going to die (Tee box of a par 3).

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 15* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 18* Tensei AV Blue
Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* Basarra HL 
Titleist AP1 718 5-GW 48Tensei Graphite 
Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35”
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

Found this link from another site while looking for where to get backup batteries - a five pack for $6, can't beat that :)

Evidently the shipping takes a week or two, but proper planning should prevent that from being too big of a problem.

[url="http://www.dealextreme.com/p/panasonic-cr2-5-pack-904"]http://www.dealextreme.com/p/panasonic-cr2-5-pack-904[/url]

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

[quote name='tripres' timestamp='1337807820' post='4966474']
i hate to bump a dead topic- but i've done about 4 hours of research and talked to countless idiots at sports authority.. does this thing have pinseeker?
[/quote]

The V2 has Pinseeker.

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 15* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 18* Tensei AV Blue
Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* Basarra HL 
Titleist AP1 718 5-GW 48Tensei Graphite 
Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35”
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

• 1 year later...