addamsmith

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guy's
This is what I have found out so far.
That during the mid to late 90's Titleist offered 2 and maybe up to 4 models of the Tour Model Blade through the Tour department.ELK and LEHMAN Grind plus 2 more.. These clubs where very expensive. Below is a few pic's of my TITLEIST 1997 TOUR MODEL FORGED LEHMAN SQUARE TOE RARE. These clubs were ordered through the Custom Department for Brent Studer.
So your Tour Models may be worth more than you think.
As far as the Custom grinds go, I am still waiting to find out more on the model numbers, But there were 100% tour models that where also ordered from the Tour Department between 1991 and 1997.
Below are the pic's of my Lehman Grinds 1997 model 7 iron.
Addam

Hi Guys-

Here are a couple pics of mine. Addam has been great in getting me some info and replying to me directly concerning my clubs. I really can not remember when exactly I bought these clubs, but it had to be between '96 and '98. I do know though that I bought them from a used shop for $100. I use the 8-PW on a regular basis w/ the 1 & 3-7 irons of the 990's. Every so often I'll put them all in the bag, but I am closer to a 10 these days than to scratch, so I need all the help I can get!!

-Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Just got my hands on another set of custom grinds, 681's. Took some pics of them(not great but they will do). However there is no grindnumber on any of the hossels so difficult to judge what has been customized. Maybe you guys can tell by the pictures? If put the 7 iron of my other custom grind set next to some for comparison.

Let me know!

Regards Marco

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello. I have eight different sets of Titleist Custom Grinds and I would like to get any info. about them that you might have. I took a picture of the 5-iron only of all eight sets and put them into two pictures. In the first picture (top left) is a 2-PW set of #5 Custom Grinds that look like the 1991-94 Tour Models. On the bottom left is a 3-PW set of #23 Custom Grinds that also look like the 1991-94 Tour Models. On the top right is a 3-PW set of #6 Custom Grinds with a very unusual Muscleback. On the bottom right is a 2-PW set of #23 Custom Grinds that look like the 1985 Tour Models. In the second picture on the top left is a 2-PW set of #1 Custom Grinds that look like the 1991-94 Tour Models. On the bottom left is an unusual 3-SW set of Titleist Special Grinds with a satin finish and a muscle design like the Mizuno MP-29. There is no grind number on these irons but they have the two rings on the hosel like the Tour Models do. On the top right is a 2-PW set of #28 Custom Grinds that look like the 1991-94 Tour Models. And on the bottom right is a 2-PW set of #26 Custom Grinds that look like the 1986-90 Tour Model Bullet Backs. Any info. that you have on these clubs like what the grind numbers represent or which pro's might have used a certain grind number and the rarity of these irons would be greatly appreciated. THANKS !!!

Hi Guy's
First of all I have to say Hi to Dan and great to see you around here mate ;)
Now Seayhorse I have to say my friend you are the biggest Custom Ho I have ever see and that is FANTASTIC. :cheesy:
Now your clubs are so COOL and 2 of your sets are worth a small fortune.
Her we go
Pic 1 Top left around 96/97 model
Pic 1 Top Right VERY VERY RARE 96/97 model
PIc 1 Bottom left Great example of 96/97 model
Pic 1 Bottom Right Very Rare 95/96 with great muscle back.
Pic 2 Top Left Great example of Custom grind around 97 model
Pic 2 Top right Very much like standard 87 tour model.
Pic 2 Bottom Left WELL LOCK THIS ONE UP. 97 Special grind. VERY VERY RARE
Pic 2 Bottom Right 93/94 Muscle Back and one of the finest examples I have seen. Very Hard to get with custom grind on them. If the grooves have diamonds at each end of the groove they will be 88/90 models.

If you want to sell the one with #1 Bottom Pic Top Left let me know. I have the exact same set with a missing 6 and 8 iron. If interested PM me.
Thanks so much for posting the pics and Keep them coming, I am still waiting to get the info on numbers for all custom grinds but as soon as my friend is back from the UK I will be posting a breakdown of all numbers and what they mean.
Thanks Guy's
Addam

Hi Marco
681 Custom grinds don't have a grind number but most have a serial number on them do you have that?
They are 100% round toe customs which are a great buy very simialar to my 681's in the above pic near the top of the post. As you can see in the bellow pic the toe is much rounder than the standard 681 I posted a good comparison.
Addam

Hi there m8, good to cya back in the custom grind section ;) . The 681's have a serial on all of the clubs in stead of only the 6 iron, it says 347NI. I've been trying to reach Titleist amerika to find out what the grind is but they are not helping me. Must be because im Dutch :cheesy: .

The round toe is indeed 1 of the changes, maybe you can find out more?

Thanks Marco

Hi Youngbo
Most of us here who have or collect the older Titleist do so because of the look, feel and feedback they give. They are not forgiving at all . But if you put the club down and it feels good at address thats a good start. I love the Titleist older blade over the newer models. The clubs that your friend own's if looked after will hold good value and are still worth decent dollars.
Post us some pic's if you can.
A few years back when Tiger was playing Titleist Blades the Tour model went through a few great years of being so popular and every guy wanted a set in the bag. The value of the club went through the roof.
Now you can pick up a good set as so many of us have for around $100.00.
Tell him to keep them.
Regards
Addam

Adam my man, I greatly appreciate the info. on my Titleist Custom Grind sets and look forward to the grind info. in the future. If I ever do decide to sell the #1-Grinds I will let you know, but that was my first Custom Grind purchase and they are very near and dear to my heart. My Bullet Backs in the second picture do have the diamonds framing the grooves as do the Special Grinds. I have posted three new pictures as well. The second picture is of a 3-PW set of Titleist blades that have no other markings except for the Titleist Stamp on the back and the iron number on the sole. These irons are the largest Titleist blade heads that I have ever seen. They would be considered mid-size by todays standard. The first picture is of a 3-PW set of what appears to be 1991-94 Tour Models, but they have the diamonds framing the grooves. Even the pitching wedge is stamped with a "P" on the sole like the 1991-94 Tour Models have. When I contacted Titleist about these clubs I was told that there were a very limited number of "transition" sets made in 1990 when they were changing from the 1986-90 Bullet Backs to the 1991-94 model and that this was one of those sets. The third picture is of a 2-SW set of 1991-94 Tour Models that have the grind #58 on the hosel of all 10 clubs, so I assume they were a special order. Keep up the good work and Thanks again.

Hi Seayhorse
Great stuff there mate,
Here is a link to all to show Titleist older models
[url="http://www.titleist.com/historical_clubs/category.asp?cat=if"]http://www.titleist.com/historical_clubs/category.asp?cat=if[/url]
You can see that it show's most of the models.
The First photo you have is another very rare model because to get 95-97 model with Diamonds in the face show's it was a first issue proto of the 95-97 model before the face change So it was a mix of the 93 face with the 95 muscle. Also the Bullet back was brought out in 91-94 then in 95 they filled in the groove in the bullet and it became a full muscle back for the 95-97 model.
This is the changes to the 91-97 model for both the custom order and the tour model.
1991 bullet back come out [b]with diamonds [/b]in the face.
1994 final year of bullet back with [b]no diamonds [/b]in the face
1995 new full muscle came out and no changes till 97. then the 681 came out in 98.

You second pic is another rare one because I have see these before and they are a proto 681 ( man I hate you Ha ha)
One thing do these have the full black ferrul or the long black and gold one like the tour model.This will let me know the year of build.
The third pic again is rare because of the number on a Tour model, They had to be a custom order and I know that in the custom order numbers that you can order it "saying tour model instead of custom grind" Keep these coming and I hope I have helped with some one to finding a bit more out about there models.
One more thing there are some great set's on ebay now of some titlest tour models some are the older models but still very collectable. Most of the earlier blades by titleist were made in the USA and the chrome finish was so much stronger than todays titleist blades.
Addam

Hello again Adam and Thank You for the fast response. The irons that you said were a 681 Proto have a 1 inch solid black ferrule, Dynamic Gold S-300 shafts, and Titleist M580 cord grips. The grips are the left handed model (LH before the M580 on the butt), so there is a good chance that this set was reshafted and was definately re-gripped. The heads are unusually large and the scoring line and bead blast area of the face looks narrow making the chromed part of the toe on the face look unusually wide. Here are a few more pictures of one of them so you can see what I am talking about with a standard size Tour Model for comparison.

The larger headed ones are almost certainly the 1985 model. They came with and without diamonds on the edges of the scoring lines.
I had a set in 01' and was shocked at how large they (the heads) were when they showed up. They made a set of 95's I had look like kid's clubs.

Taylormade Sim2 10.5° (turned down to 9°) - Tensei White 60 stiff

Ping G400 3 and 5 Woods - Diamana D+ Limited 70 stiff

Ping G400 22° Hybrid - Diamana D+ 90 Stiff

Ping i200 5-UW - Modus Tour 105 stiff

Vokey SM4 54° and 58° - DGS-300

Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Hello Procombo. A rolled leading edge means that the leading edge of the blade is rounded where it would normally make ground contact. This prevents the club from digging into the ground for those that take a deep divot. It's kinda like adding bounce. It is also nice to have if you ever have the lofts bent a few degrees strong because if there is no roll on the leading edge and you have them bent strong, you end up with a club that has negative bounce and digs into the ground very easily making the club virtually unplayable.