RARE TITLEIST CUSTOM GRIND IRON'S

addamsmith

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It didn't occur to me to save it as a PDF...

Here is my list of Titleist forgings. These are, as I said, only the production models, but if you have a set of custom grinds, it may help you identify the year they were made. Of course, some of the custom grinds, and certainly the tour sets, may be harder to identify, due to the unique customization of the tour dept.

I have seen the occasional "custom grind" iron that isn't identified on this list. But it's still a more complete list that the historical one on Titleist's site, and I believe more complete than the club books as well...

[attachment=210192:Titleist_irons.pdf]

I had many sets of Titleist custom grinds when I was in college. One set I picked up in 1998 though I think they were from the mid 90's was a set of Titleist irons with "Special Edition" written on the toe in Red has anyone seen these before? Also do any of you guys remember in the late 90's when Custom grinds were going for $1400+ it was a real frenzy for collectors.
John

[quote name='Drexel64' post='876520' date='Jan 22 2008, 11:11 AM']I had many sets of Titleist custom grinds when I was in college. One set I picked up in 1998 though I think they were from the mid 90's was a set of Titleist irons with "Special Edition" written on the toe in Red has anyone seen these before? Also do any of you guys remember in the late 90's when Custom grinds were going for $1400+ it was a real frenzy for collectors.
John[/quote]

Hello John. I did once see a single 5-iron on E-Bay that was a Titleist Special Edition blade that looked just like the Custom Grinds and the Tour Models, but I have never seen the complete set.

[quote name='pegleg' post='876426' date='Jan 22 2008, 05:09 PM']It didn't occur to me to save it as a PDF...

Here is my list of Titleist forgings. These are, as I said, only the production models, but if you have a set of custom grinds, it may help you identify the year they were made. Of course, some of the custom grinds, and certainly the tour sets, may be harder to identify, due to the unique customization of the tour dept.

I have seen the occasional "custom grind" iron that isn't identified on this list. But it's still a more complete list that the historical one on Titleist's site, and I believe more complete than the club books as well...

[attachment=210192:Titleist_irons.pdf][/quote]

Pegleg, this list is great! ;) Thanks for sharing it with us, lets see how long it takes before it appears on the Titleist Historical clubs page.
Grtz Marco

[quote name='procombo' post='876659' date='Jan 22 2008, 02:38 PM']Hi all, Pegleg has emailed me his complete list of Titleist forgings as of the Titleist/acushnet 1971 blade.[/quote]

FYI - the 1969 - 1971 "Titleist by Acushnet" blade was the first forging they made, and 1969 was the first year the company manufactured clubs. They purchased Golfcraft in 1968, and moved into their Escondido, CA facility. Before that time, the only clubs made by Titleist / Acushnet were the Bullseye putters, which started in the early 1960s...

My list does not, however, include the cast clubs.

It also does not include true "Tour Only" forgings, notably the Forged DCI-B. (The forged version of the original DCI cavity back, before the 962s).

Thanks so much Pegleg for you list. It is a great edition to the post.
Also a special thanks to Seayhorse for his great collection pictures.
Drexel64
During the late 90 and up to 2004, because of the "tiger" Titleist and Mizuno older blades sky rocketed in price.
Now most of us collect them for there feel.
The older models are very hard to hit and have no forgivness in them at all.
I am a Pro and I still now play the older Titleist blade and I have tried every newer model of Titleist and I keep going back to my trusty old blades.
But that's just me.

[quote name='Tomba29' post='873164' date='Jan 20 2008, 10:40 AM']Adam,

I was trying to find info on my old irons at the titleist link but it doesnt show this exact model.

Here is a link to some pics I posted a while back [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=55186&hl=square+toe"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?sh...p;hl=square+toe[/url]

Do you know when they were made?[/quote]

If you haven't downloaded my PDF yet, those were the 1983 Tour Model Square Toe Model. There was an identical model in 1982, except they weren't stamped "Square Toe".

As far as I can tell, 1983 was the last year they used the capital "E" in TitlEist.

(My PDF shows two models in 1984 that used the capital E, but I have never seen a set stamped that way (not even a photo). I think they may be early prototype pics, and Titleist changed to the small "e" before the production run...)

[quote name='pegleg' post='876426' date='Jan 22 2008, 04:09 PM']It didn't occur to me to save it as a PDF...

[attachment=210192:Titleist_irons.pdf][/quote]

thanks very much for that pdf summary list pegleg!

Iain

Here are some pictures of my #6 Titleist Custom Grind's or as I like to call them, my Funky Grinds. These irons have the strangest muscle back that I have ever seen. They have not been rechromed but they were obviously used very little and were very well cared for. They have Dynamic Gold S-300 Shafts and Golf Pride Tour Velvet Gord grips.

Here are some pictures of my #23 Titleist Custom Grinds that have the straight line muscle back like the 1985 Tour Models had. The 2-Iron is the only one that is shafted and the 3-pw have no shafts in them at this time. The 2-iron is stamped #233, but I think that Titleist may have accidently stamped the extra 3 because I have never seen a Custom Grind that was triple digit.

Here are two more pictures of my Titleist sets in the bag. Picture #1 is my #6 Grind set with the very strange muscle back. Picture #2 is of a very rare set of Titleist Tour Models. They look like the 1994-97 Tour Models but they have the diamonds framing the face like the 1986-89 Tour Models had. A Titleist rep. told me that these irons were made in very limited numbers when the company was changing from the Bullet Back model to the full muscle back model in 1990.

Here are some pictures of my Titleist Tour Model "transition" irons. These full muscleback irons with the diamonds framing the grooves are very rare and were made in limited numbers when Titleist was changing from their bullet back model to the full muscleback model in late 1990 (according to the Titleist Rep I spoke to).

Hi John

The Elk Grind is Number #15

Here are a pic of his clubs from the 97 session I own.

Back one page you will see a few pics of elks grinds from several tournaments That Dan posted for us.

The first Pic is one from Dan.

Elk used to love to grind off a bit of the muscle of the clubs. I have only ever see 4 sets that he played that was not ground down. One of my sets is one of them and his Brother Rob has another set.

Addam