2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

David Duval - 2009

kharmon

Sweet Moses Duval swing is looking bad. Even his putting stroke is looking pretty bad. Nothing looks as good as it was when he was scoring well.

I´m a huge fan of Duval, and I hope he´ll start playing well again, but I´m 100% sure it´s not gonna happen until he realizes the biggest reason he´s playing crap is because he´s swinging crap, and that's just not about to happen("“I’m hitting it and swinging it every bit as well as I did when I was No. 1 in the world”) . I've read loads of interviews with him and he always think it's just a matter of getting a few good rounds and some confidence. He´s actually been saying that right from when he started playing("the ball was just bounding my way"). I for one feel his swing isn't near as good as it was.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They did a slow mo of his swing yesterday and it's pretty obvious he's got the club dropping to the inside too much. Although PK missed that of course. He's got his back swing back on plane but coming down he's got it bisecting his right forearm, which is too inside. He should have it coming thru his bicep like the old days.

He's so afraid of that left miss he doesn't want to commit to getting the club coming down on plane he's subconsciously backing up his pivot. Hard to break swing faults that are deep in your brain. He should do some Vijay drills were he puts a water bottle outside and slightly in front of the ball to keep from swinging out. My opinion. Gotta swing hard left with a wide open club face like in 1999.

You may say he's washed up.

I say he boasted eight sub-70 scores in his past 16 rounds this year. If he continues in '09, it will be a huge story. (from SI's Jason Sobel Blog)

What do you all think?

PS: DD will be playing on the PGA Tour in '09 using his Top 50 Career Money Exemption Status and will need to finish in the top 125 at the end of 2009 for 2010 eligibility. This a big year for DD!

Watch the interview yesterday, space city, like on drugs or something. Did he eat a ballon or just gain about 100lbs. Maybe he needs to spit more like woods

Making cuts is the 1st place you start then the more weekend golf you play all of a sudden you are in the top ten then in the mix.

This is not going to happen overnight..but if you are going to climb a mountain its one step at a time.

Good luck to the guy he always came across as a good person when interviewed.

Driver Taylor SIM 2
3wd ping 425

5wd ping 425
Irons I500 Ping 4 - pw
ping answer 2 sig
58 ping eye-2
54 Jaws 4

2I driving iron Srixon New shaft carbon fiber steel
Titlist 1x

is it just me or has he put on some weight...no h*** :P

Taylormade M2 10.5° [color=#0000ff]Graphite Design AD-BB 7x[/color]
Titleist 913 FD 15° [color=#a9a9a9]Diamana 'Ahina 70x[/color]
Titleist 716 AP2 3 iron [color=#a9a9a9]Accra 110i[/color]
Titleist 716 MB 4-PW [color=#0000ff]Project X 6.0[/color]
Vokey [color=#000000]Jet Black [/color]SM7 52° 56° 60° [color=#000000]S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx[/color]
Scotty Cameron Newport [color=#daa520]Teryllium[/color] Sole Stamp

This guy has had his "Walk in the Sun". I heard him interviewed at the Valero and he said he still felt he was one of the "Top Ten Golfers" in the world. Talk about "Living in Denial." :rolleyes:

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

cubs-fan-79 Okay I ll take that bet PGA Tour/European Tour either one .. He has to retain playing privileges He is going to have a hard time getting in events.

So what do you want to bet?

Driver Taylor SIM 2
3wd ping 425

5wd ping 425
Irons I500 Ping 4 - pw
ping answer 2 sig
58 ping eye-2
54 Jaws 4

2I driving iron Srixon New shaft carbon fiber steel
Titlist 1x

The biggest thing with Duval is after reaching #1 in the world and winning majors and shooting 59...there was nothing left and he was disappointed with it all.

In a recent interview, he was happier now than he ever has been playing golf and while he is a great golfer, I dont think he wants to have the spotlight on him anymore and with that mindset on the PGA...he wont.

TM Sim2 w/ Tensei CK White

TM Sim2 Titanium 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
TM Sim2 3h w/ AXIVCore Green
TM P790 4i w/ HZRDUS Smoke
TM P7MC 5 - 8 w/ Project X LZ

TM P7MB 9 - PW w/ Project X LZ
TM MG 50 and 55 w/ Project X LZ

TM MG Hi-Toe 60 w/ Project X LZ
TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

This guy has had his "Walk in the Sun". I heard him interviewed at the Valero and he said he still felt he was one of the "Top Ten Golfers" in the world. Talk about "Living in Denial." :rolleyes:

I'm a DD fan, but when he said that he believes he is a top ten player (now) my jaw hit the floor. I hope he makes it back there, but that is silly on the face of it. I'm just chalking it up to positive self talk to get him through the tough times.

I'm a DD fan, but when he said that he believes he is a top ten player (now) my jaw hit the floor. I hope he makes it back there, but that is silly on the face of it. I'm just chalking it up to positive self talk to get him through the tough times.
Yeah, I pretty much thought it was like a skit they were doing.  I knew it was sat but SNL wasnt on yet, plus it was a diff channel.  The look in his eyes showed that even HE didnt believe what he just said.  It was definitely good for a laugh if nothing else......

Id be willing to bet if he put his old Titleist clubs in the bag,he'd be back.You dont shoot 59 in the final round to win and then forget how to play.Phil Knight started waving all that money in front of him and he switched clubs.Coincidently,thats about the same time his game went south. I think now that Nike is making a better product,he can potentially be back to form.His priorities changed after he won the open.Yeah,he won with Nike sticks but he staggered in.Same with Phil.He played his BEST golf when he was with Titleist.Hitting the hospitality tent on the 18 hole of the US Open was hideous. I play a Callaway driver because I tend to cut my 905R a little more than Id like.The FT-5 is a perfect fit for me but Phil isnt a 7 hdcp either.

Yeah -- That's why Tiger has really started playing poorly with his Nike equipment... :rolleyes:

I saw this one coming.Tiger Woods played his BEST golf when he was with Titleist.He has won majors with Nike and like Phil said," He is the only player who is good enough to overcome the equiptment he is stuck with."The "TigerSlam" where he held all 4 majors at the same time was accomplished with Titleist 681 blades.Nike is coming along and making a better product each year but still nothing Id play with.It's just a matter of taste really.However,Tiger Woods world domination was accomplished with 681 Titleist blades,970 Titleist 3 wood,Vokey wedges,975d driver {and now he cant find a fairway to save his a**..no, he isnt leading the fed ex points.} and a Scotty Putter.Maybe it was the shoes?Yeah,thats what it was, the shoes.For Duvall to make his big comeback all he has to do is make one change {and he knows what it is}

(PS: He is hitting an "antique" 4-ish wood often off the tee. Puggy Blackmon, his swing coach (and South Carolina Gamecocks golf director) said it was a Callaway club, and I couldn't be 100% positive, but it looked like it had the first ever graphite shaft that Fujikura made. It was REALLY old, and he hit it just as far, and sometimes further, than Leaney and Wilson hit their drivers.)

Brian

I saw David play at Chateau Elan in early 1990's, and he had a Big Bertha WarBird 4 wood in the bag that he absolutely killed. Perhaps it's the old BB that he's dragged out again.

Callaway S2h2 two dot 13* small head.It's just one club but it's a start.My very good friend {whom I cant name for obvious reasons} plays on the PGA tour now.Nike was his first contract.He said it was the biggest mistake he's ever made signing with Nike and he and his father and Wilson bought out his contract with nike.Now he plays Titleist.I cant use the language he used to describe the equiptment he played.In the majors he played Titleist clubs {was fined by Nike but flipped them the finger} and carried a Nike Bag.

He WILL be back.Even if he has to go back to qualifying school.He's just too good of a player.He just isnt 'SCORING"right now.He knows how to do it and has done it.Plus,if you've ever met him,he's a hell of a nice guy..Maybe try playing some European events.If he can get a win {any win} soon,his cofidence wikk be back.Injurys [AND PRIORITYS] are different now.He has a great wife and family right now. {Didnt he get left at the alter a few years back??}Dave,Im pulling for ya! You CAN do it!!

I think his game is fine he just doesn't seem to care enough. There is not a lot of motivation. Golf is not important to him and to play on the PGA Tour it has to be priority #1.

Taylormade Qi10 9* Mitsubishi ZF 60TX

Taylormade Mini Driver 13.5 Mitsubishi ZF 70TX

Taylormade Qi10 5 wood 18* Project X HZRDUS Black 80 6.5
Srixon ZX5, ZX7 combo set 4-PW PX 6.0
Taylormade MG4 50.09 SB, 56.14 HB, 60.09 SBC DG S400 Black Onyx
Taylormade Spider Tour Z 
Titleist Pro V1X 2023

• 2 weeks later...