Leupold Rangefinders

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

:)

When I began reading this thread I didn't expect I Might be able to make a reply (older thread.)

I owned a Bushnell for fifteen years or so. One year ago I bought an SG5 SkyCaddie. It was fun but pretty much a pain to keep charged, trying to see the screen with my old eyes without reading glasses and a couple of other things that I personally didn't care for. A buddy had a new rangefinder (unknown which kind except it did have the slope) and I liked how the newer models could so quickly pick up a flag or even the stick itself. I gave my old Bushnell to another buddy and bought a Nikon/Callaway LR1200. I really like it! Fast, efficient, fun again.

Well, after reading the thread here, and having been thinking about it for a while, I just ordered the Leupold II from Amazon with overnight. I want to try it out and see if it is fun and efficient to play with the slope/temperature/altitude settings. I haven't seen, but I suspect the weather and altitude is something I have to set while I play.... yuk! If it can determine the temperature and altitude, even cooler. I just think having the super small unit will be great, maybe even able to keep it on my belt instead of tossing it on the ground or on the cart's seat. If I really like it, I'll be a very good buddy and give the Callaway unit to my buddy. If I don't like it, heck, I'll give him the Leupold anyway. I hope the Leupold II is designed to turn off the TGR stuff so it can still be used in a tournament with that setting in the off position.

I also have an iPhone with GolfCard, a sub-$10 program to keep golf stats, etc. The software team is working hard to make this $9.99 program work also as a GPS system for golfing. Not my cup of tea, but for those wanting to save money and still have some high tech, nice way to go. The program is a big winner either way.

Hope I was more help than a pain. I'm sure the OP and most everyone else who contributed here has already moved on with their decisions. Happy golfing.

Joe

"I hope the Leupold II is designed to turn off the TGR stuff so it can still be used in a tournament with that setting in the off position."

This makes as much sense as carrying 16 clubs in a tournament and saying you're only going to use 14. In our club tournaments, if you are spotted with an illegal rangefinder in your cart or bag, you are DQ'd even if it doesn't have a battery in it.

This makes as much sense as carrying 16 clubs in a tournament and saying you're only going to use 14. In our club tournaments, if you are spotted with an illegal rangefinder in your cart or bag, you are DQ'd even if it doesn't have a battery in it.

Exactly... Our local rule prohibits GPS/rangefinders with anything but raw distance, even if the feature can be turned off.

One aspect of the rangefinder that has not been mentioned is its use at the driving range.

I plan to get one soon so I can have some idea as to how far I am hitting my shots at the range.

Of the two ranges I hit balls at, neither one has any descent way of determining distance.

There are flags out there, but no one knows how far they are from the tee.

alan

[quote name='ahender' post='1839924' date='Jul 23 2009, 10:06 PM']One aspect of the rangefinder that has not been mentioned is its use at the driving range.[/quote]

I used my new GX-I on the range today.

It's a great option because the tee area moves forward/back to a different spot on any given day while the flags remain fixed. I'm talking roughly 50 yards of distance from the most forward to the most back tee positions.

I just upgraded to a Leupold GX-i from an older bushnell 500 that i'd had for years and finally grew tired of. I could never hit a pin with it and 1/2 the time it wouldn't turn on.
My new unit is so easy it's a joke to use compared to my old one! Point, shoot, get yardage, fire away.
I've never had a GPS handheld unit but have played numerous times with GPS built in to carts and have had several instances where they've been dead wrong.

I'd take a bit of work and 1-2 yard certainty over a GPS that uses satellites a million miles away anyday.

Your results may vary but Leupold makes the best stuff I've ever tried.

Bought a gx-1 a month ago and absolutely love it. It's spot on, easy to aim and works fine with polarized sunglasses. I toyed with a GPS but my Rx sunglasses tend to make LCD screens look dark or even invisible depending on the angle I hold them. Too annoying for me. The Leupold is small and robust and you feel like you can toss it around without worrying. Only complaint is I with the yardage was displayed closer to the crosshairs so eye-relief distance wasn't such an issue. Great product overall, great value.

• 3 months later...

Just purchased the GX1 - researched all & tried a friends 1600 (just too bulky). The size was the deciding factor - I wanted a small unit - This thing rocks, spot on yardages, easy to use, I changed reticle from original to one I like, scan mode works very well. I found that no matter what one you get, learning curve to use (shakes...) Takes a little getting used to, but could not be more pleased with this unit. Highly recommend

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='bytehoven' post='1840236' date='Jul 24 2009, 12:09 AM'][quote name='ahender' post='1839924' date='Jul 23 2009, 10:06 PM']One aspect of the rangefinder that has not been mentioned is its use at the driving range.[/quote]

It's a great option because the tee area moves forward/back to a different spot on any given day while the flags remain fixed. I'm talking roughly 50 yards of distance from the most forward to the most back tee positions.
[/quote]

Like you, great on the driving range. I love mine on regular rounds too. While everyone else is looking for a sprinkler head, walking off the yardage from the 150 or ... I'm done and swinging my club! Very compact. First thing I did was to add an extra battery to the little pouch on the side. So far the original battery seems to be lasting forever!

[quote name='ottobon100' post='2121354' date='Dec 12 2009, 04:45 PM'][quote name='bytehoven' post='1840236' date='Jul 24 2009, 12:09 AM'][quote name='ahender' post='1839924' date='Jul 23 2009, 10:06 PM']One aspect of the rangefinder that has not been mentioned is its use at the driving range.[/quote]

[/quote]

Like you, great on the driving range. I love mine on regular rounds too. While everyone else is looking for a sprinkler head, walking off the yardage from the 150 or ... I'm done and swinging my club! Very compact. First thing I did was to add an extra battery to the little pouch on the side. So far the original battery seems to be lasting forever!
[/quote]
great tip on the extra battery. My battery died and I felt so handicapped having to use the sprinkler heads for yardage.

I have the Leupold GX-II, my first rangefinder. First time out with this thing, I was pin-high every time. This was all because I had the exact yardage to the pin, whereas before, I would be off +/- 15 yards when just guessing with my eyes and the yardage marker.

The Leupold is easy to use, easy to acquire the flag with the scanning technology. I seriously cannot find anything wrong with this thing. Built solid, small, battery lasts long, fast readings, easy to get the flag with the pin scanning technology. Only thing that makes me wonder is why it costs so much $400, but oh well.

Actually if I were to suggest an improvement, I would want some kind of stabilization (anti-shake) technology if it was possible. You do have to use 2-hands when aiming at flags far away.

hp
igolfgolf.com

[quote name='highhandicapper' post='1737736' date='Jun 5 2009, 09:43 AM']Most of the major brands don't require a reflective prism on the flagstick to quickly pick up a distance (although if there is one that makes it ridiculously easy). I'm generally a GPS guy, but you can find one site's write-up (criticalgolf.com) on a bunch of rangefinders here: [url="http://criticalgolf.com/laser-rangefinder-reviews/"]Reviews of Laser Rangefinders[/url]

Happy hunting![/quote]

Very thorough review site, although I think they need some help with their math. They rate the various aspects (ease of use, features, obtaining readings, cost/value) between 92 and 96, then come up with an overall score of 91 ???

Two rounds in, on an unfamiliar course, with a GX-1. Probably worth 2-3 shots per round in that situation (shot below my handicap both times). Fairly easy to pick up the flag, very easy to check on a suspect pin-reading by using the scan method. Attaches to one of the carry straps and is very light and easy to get in and out of the case. Read one flag at 388 and players on the green at over 500. This may not seem all that useful, but it really is, in terms of planning an approach to an unfamiliar hole. Excellent purchase ($274 at Amazon)

2017 M2/Matrix Ozik F6M2
Cally XHP 15°/Altus or 3Deep/Striper H2
Cobra F8 4-5/F7M2
Cally XHP23/Altus hb or Cally X-Prototype 24°/Program 95
6-GW Cobra Forged One Length on flighted Matrix Program 95 OR MP-H4 ON PROGRAM F15
Scratch D/D wedges
Bettinardi QB3